Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mr. Unlucky posted:

i dont know if youve actually read it but in the opening section its pretty clear it wasnt an autobiography and carlin didnt write any of it, he had been working with the guy on and off for a while to make a regular biography then after he died the guy took the notes and wrote it in the first person perspective, he outright says this in the intro.

I'm not sure if you understand what the concept of a "ghost writer" is or not. But it seems like you don't. Any time an autobiography has a second name under the guy who "wrote" it, this is exactly how it is done. Carlin not only had notes, but they also had long interview sessions that were recorded. Again, this is how every ghost written autobiography works. Also they had been working on it together since 1993. This isn't as weird or "creepy" as you think it is, and is in fact totally a normal thing that is done all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GOP Delusion
Sep 10, 2010

The security of Israel is a moral imperative for all free peoples.
The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

everyone knows none of this poo poo happened

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

TheJoker138 posted:

I can't tell if this is a fake post or not. You're aware he had mostly finished an autobiography before he died, right? Add that his writing partner finished it? His brother even reads the audio book version.

George Carlin called Lorne Michaels "a loving hands-and-knees cocksucker" in that book. I laughed.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

The GOP Delusion posted:

It happened. I was there.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Is that howard zinn book about the USA actually good ?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Internet Explorer 6 For Dummies. As a Netscape user, it was a totally pointless read. However, if you're an IE user you can save $5 and get it for the low price of $21.58 if you order from Amazon before June 4th (you must have a prime subscription though).

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
Oh where to begin:

Heaven Is For Real
48 Laws of Power (or anything by Robert Greene)
The Secret
They Came Before Columbus
Behold A Pale Horse
Ask and It Is Given
Gifted Hands
Anything Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyers, Stormie Omartian or any other religious/self help writers

Having worked in a bookstore, those or just some of the highly requested crap that I can think of off the top of my head.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The GOP Delusion posted:

what about romulans

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

thathonkey posted:

It reads like a long LF post but it's all true and an ok antidote to whig history

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
explain why books are bad please

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

thathonkey posted:

it's good because there are a lot of stories and narratives you've probably never heard

but yeah it's LF as gently caress and really depressing

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
i dont like them... dont worry later i'm going to post in my amazon reviews of actually thousands of books... they're terrible... stand by

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the communist manifesto

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
"Gooner".

Also there's this two-volume Complete Sherlock Holmes collection where the footnotes are just pure smug as gently caress neckbeardery and add nothing to the stories.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Gilganixon posted:

This piece of poo poo right here. Generally a bad idea to read anything on the topic of the 19th century by anyone who has been knighted for his "services to history" I guess.
if niall ferguson likes it then of course it's trash

my vote is for everything niall ferguson ever touched. dude sucks balls big time

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
People say Devil in the White City about the Chicago World's fair and serial killer H. H. Holmes is good, but I thought it was dry and boring and pretty mediocre. It wasn't incredibly lovely or anything though

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
last time i finished a book i felt a minor foreboding feeling and later that day i discovered a potted plant on the porch had fallen over due to the wind. the pot and plant were both fine but obviously i will never read a book again

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Pick posted:

explain why books are bad please

Matt Taibi posted:

On an ideological level, Friedman's new book is the worst, most boring kind of middlebrow horseshit. If its literary peculiarities could somehow be removed from the equation, The World Is Flat would appear as no more than an unusually long pamphlet replete with the kind of plug-filled, free-trader leg-humping that passes for thought in this country. It is a tale of a man who walks 10 feet in front of his house armed with a late-model Blackberry and comes back home five minutes later to gush to his wife that hospitals now use the internet to outsource the reading of CAT scans. Man flies on planes, observes the wonders of capitalism, says we're not in Kansas anymore. (He actually says we're not in Kansas anymore.) That's the whole plot right there. If the underlying message is all that interests you, read no further, because that's all there is.

http://delong.typepad.com/egregious_moderation/2009/01/matt-taibbi-flathead-the-peculiar-genius-of-thomas-l-friedman.html

Thomas Friedman is an unbelievable moron who throws out enough inane buzzwords that people even stupider than him are tricked into thinking he's smart

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I've had a really old copy of Nausea by Sartre sitting on my nightstand for at least a full year just to look smart. I've read 1/4 of it. It works.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Turfahurf posted:

I've had a really old copy of Nausea by Sartre sitting on my nightstand for at least a full year just to look smart. I've read 1/4 of it. It works.

no exit is fun and really short and easy to read

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

based on everything I've ever read (first-hand) about noted bigot/homophobe/religious wacko Kevin Sorbo I have to imagine that this book is unfiltered garbage

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Homestar Runner posted:

based on everything I've ever read (first-hand) about noted bigot/homophobe/religious wacko Kevin Sorbo I have to imagine that this book is unfiltered garbage

after hercules i'm surprised to learn that kevin sorbo isn't super gay

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

and any other book penned by this rambling poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

did you know the only reason anyone would teach children anything but abstinence and chastity is to attack christianity and pervert the human race? you will
note that you can find this referred to as a curriculum textbook in places

• Locked thread