Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!
Let's Play...

The Story:
It's Pinocchio... Okay, you want more than that. Ahem.

You are a human from a 'world unseen', only viewing Corlo Island through your screen, who happens to have a new robot dumped into their lap when his creator is arrested by the royal guard of the kingdom. The Prime Minister Messala wants the "J Circuit" and he believes to help awaken it's power, it is best to take away the creator, Dr. Geppetto.

Why he wants this, we do not know.

Your job, with the help of a small interface-robot fairy named Tinker who can issue commands for you, is to raise this robot boy to be more human, by awakening the J circuit, which is inside him.

This will also hopefully repair relations between humans and the robot-like Gijin, which are in real bad shape.

We also hope to save Dr. Geppetto, but we're not sure how we'll pull that off. Especially with a spoiled brat who will easily get mad at me. I think he's planning something.

I'm onto you.

About the Game:
This is Wonder Project J: Machine Boy Pino, it's a raising simulator game that was only released in Japan on the Super Fanicom.
We can't control the robot boy, but we can give out commands and hopefully he'll listen.
So we need to use these commands to change his stats so he can move through different story points correctly.

About the Let’s Play:
This is going to be a hybrid SSLP, with videos included for cutscenes, if there are any worth making videos for.
This game is pretty short, but I like it! If you like life simulators, this is similar, but with also having no real control over the character you are raising. You have to have him trust you if you want him to do what you want.
Problem is...I already know what to do and in a short amount of time. So to make things interesting, I'm going to ask everyone to help raise him!

After a scenario is shown and the robo-kid fails it(as ya do) I'm going to ask all of you to help me decide which stats we should level up to be able to pull off the task!

There's also a sequel, gunna do that?:
I plan to, though I have mixed feelings about the 2nd game.

Hey, what happen to the last Let's Play you did?:
My, uh...computer went crazy and I lost the save files for that game. I just couldn't bring myself to play all of it over again at this time, real sorry about that. I have everything else related to it saved, so if I ever feel like it, I'll start it again. Until then, I feel better doing a much smaller Let's Play.

:siren: Rules: Please don't post any comments with spoilers relating to the plot, characters, or mechanics that we haven't seen yet or reached the point in the game where they would be obtainable. :siren:

The Chapters:

A Boy Named...?
Parenting Classes

Let's Play Catch
Baby's First Murder

Let's Go Shopping!
Be Kind To Animals

Sports Day
Human Vs Gijin
King of Sports!

Animated Reviewer fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!
Saving Post

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!
:siren: Video! :siren:

This can't be good...Wait, is this before the merge? Oh, okay.

We start off by panning up to a large building/castle.

"I've received word that Model 4649 will soon be complete."
"...... So, the time has finally come."
"Begin the project!"
"Yes, sir!"
"Circuit J... Until it awakens completely, I think we'll just wait and see what Model 4649 is capable of..."

Huh. I'm not sure I trust this guy.

We are now in a small house which is also a lab.

"Tinker! I've finally finished it!"
"Really, Doctor? "
"This is the new model Gijin, Model 4649!"
"He's so cute! He looks just like a human child!"
"All that remains is to have him experience and learn as much as possible, so as to activate the seven heart circuits and awaken Circuit J. Now, Tinker, I'm counting on you to do your job as an interface-robot and clearly convey my orders to this child!"
"Yes, Doctor! I'll make sure he gets your orders exactly as you say them!"
"...By the way, Doctor, what is Circuit J?"
"Hehehe, curious about Circuit J, eh? Well, allow me to explain. Circuit J is..."

"Wh-what?"

"I hereby arrest you on the charge of high treason!"

"There must be some kind of mistake...!? Tinker!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be back, I promise!!! Model 4649... Please take care of Model 4649 for me!!!"

"I don't know what to do by myself! Dr. Geppetto!!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!"

Oh boy, this is what we're gunna have to deal with?

We now get a little intro that gives us a quick view of what life on Corlo Island looks like. Getting the pictures without credits in front of them was impossible for some, so watching the video will give you a clearer view of them.

You can see flying machines in this picture. I think a war went on.

Here they are showing Gijin, which are what they call these types of robots of this island.

They seem to be mostly used for farm and fishing labor.

And here we see humans don't seem to like that very much. Probably taking work away? Hmm...

Now that I have control, we can start the game! But first...

That intro's text went by soooooo slow. Let's speed them all up.

We're gunna start a new game! Ignore the unfinished 2nd play through at the top and the quick test I did earlier.

Let's not call ourselves Player. I'm gonna name myself 'MotherB' since I don't have enough room for Mother Brain. :3:

Me? Ah crap, I've been spotted!

"Are you going to help me? Hurray! Hurray! MotherB! How can I ever thank you enough? Please take good care of us!"

Eh, I guess I'll help if it'll get the story going. I, as the player, seem to have the power to look almost everywhere on the island, and no one sees me, but Tinker. The problem is I can't talk back. Also I can't control when I drop into people's private conversions. My powers of viewing through my computer make no sense.

We get a little intro like this every time we move into the next Act in the story.

Good morning, Tinker! I guess a day has already past.

"From this day forward, we're going to be partners! Oh! I almost forgot! Model 4649 doesn't have a name yet. Please think up a good name for him!"

Pino is the default name, as you probably figured by the title of the game, but we can name him whatever we want! So I'm leaving it up to you.

So what should we name our robot boy?

Animated Reviewer fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 8, 2015

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
We must name him "Pinoy".

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Jay sounds like the obvious choice.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wow that's a lot of charm in no time flat. Well we should call him Ultro- actually no.
Put my vote for: Astro Though There are soo many names I could suggest, Astro probably fits best, seeing as J is pretty much Astro Boy without buttguns and laser beams... Doesn't he?

(Also Im a bit sad to see the MMX:CM LP fizzled out, I was really enjoying it)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 3, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Polpot

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
This is one of those games I've always been curious about but would probably not have the patience to play through.

I suggest Pokey

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!
Oh boy, I wonder how I'll decide among these names...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah, sorry about that. I hadn't meant for that to happen, but my computer got attacked pretty hard by a virus and even after the virus got cleaned out, the computer was still having a freak out that kept duplicating files. Had to wipe my C drive. While I was able to save some stuff I forgot that the game's save file was on the C Drive. So it went poof. I just couldn't bring myself to play almost the whole game and collect everything AND get the armor all over again at the time. I hope later on I'll slowly make my way back to where I was and finish that LP, but can't make any promises.

I thought it would be best to get back into Let's Plays by doing a much simpler and shorter game.

Acne Rain posted:

This is one of those games I've always been curious about but would probably not have the patience to play through.

It can be hard when you're trying to figure out what you're doing wrong. The beginning of the game can be very frustrating as I'll demonstrate later on what you can do to gently caress up your chances of getting ANYWHERE. I know when I first tried I had to start over because of how badly the training went.

Even so, I still like the game a lot.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Animated Reviewer posted:

I hope later on I'll slowly make my way back to where I was and finish that LP, but can't make any promises.

You shouldn't feel obligated to do the LP at all.
Everything Else > LPs and all.

I'm just hoping this game doesnt play like the SNES pacman games. Those were terrible.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Voting Gijin for the awkward comedy option.

Animated Reviewer posted:

Yeah, sorry about that. I hadn't meant for that to happen, but my computer got attacked pretty hard by a virus

Was it Sigma

I'm just hoping this game doesnt play like the SNES pacman games. Those were terrible.
It was one game, and you're a bad person if you didn't like it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've played a bit of the game, but always stopped at act? chapter? 2, because some of the things you had to teach HK-47 are completely random, or at least they seemed that way to my 14 year old self.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This little bastard

totally plans to kill you, so

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just out of curiosity, are you going to be using the mouse for this? I did a quick test and it seems to work, but only in SNES9X.

Oh it's you! Hi! :haw:

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just out of curiosity, are you going to be using the mouse for this? I did a quick test and it seems to work, but only in SNES9X.

The mouse does make using Tinker easier, but the mouse doesn't control the scolding and praising controls very well, which I don't think it SHOULD control any of those commands because timing that is important. I once scolded Pino when I hadn't meant too. That can cause all sorts of problems and back tracking, especially if you start pissing him off.

Also controlling the recording and save states can be an issue because I lose control over the screen when I use the mouse. I'm not sure how to get out of that mode. And I really need control over save states and recording to save time in showing off all the ways to mess up or the different reactions you can make our new little robot have.

Anyhoo, I plan to update this LP soon, possibly today if nothing gets in my way, with giving Pino a new name and learning how the game works.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh it's you! Hi! :haw:

Hello. :3:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

PinoNoir

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

The secret origins of Ni no Kuni's Oliver revealed!

Ollie is also acceptable.

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!

I decided to go with Oliver because I liked yelling that name out of all of them. :3: And I think it fits him. While I make fun of our little robot and believe he plans to turn against me at some point, I do like the kid.

Also I have changed the size of the images, trying to get rid of the black bars. I hope this looks better.

"You should be happy, Oliver MotherB is going to watch over and guide you!”

Leaving this precious child in my capable hands, I promise to be the best mom ever. I would never pull a prank on him or ever use Tinker in a non-professional manner.

...Hehehe~

"Okay MotherB, I'm going to activate Oliver now. Pod computer! Release Model 4649! Wake up! Oliver!”

Dramatic Music

Awww~ Hello, Oliver.

"Okay then, MotherB! I'll now explain Model 4649's...ah, I mean, Oliver's control system. You'll listen to my explanation, right?”

Yeah, let's do the tutorial. Which is pretty much going to be the rest of Act 1. Act 2 will start off our first challenge.

"Thanks! Alright then, let's move to the secret room...”

Secret room?

Uhhh... Tinker? This looks like a dungeon. I approve.

"Okay MotherB, here we go! Oliver and I are connected by an invisible pulse that directly transmits my instructions. In other words, Oliver will act according to the way you manipulate me!”

Thinker is pretty much our cursor. Because this is an SNES game, using a direction pad can be really hard to pinpoint parts of the screen sometimes. Takes some getting use too. I can use the mouse, but then it's hard to control other parts and checking the stats was difficult.

"Oliver runs on health and energy. If either reaches zero, he'll break down, so be careful, okay? Alright, let's move on to the practice!”
"First we'll practice moving Oliver around. Move me in the direction you want Oliver to move and press the A button. Oliver will walk in that direction. If you press the A button again, he'll run.”

Simple controls and he will listen to you just about every time when you tell him to go somewhere. Even if you make him angry, he'll still walk where you tell him. Getting him to DO anything else is another story.

Making him run into the wall never gets old.

"There you go! Ready to move on?”

Tinker will ask this on each part. I'll skip that from now on, but let's get back to learning how to stop Oliver from running into walls.

"Next, we'll practice telling Oliver to stop. It's mean to let Oliver keep running into walls all the time.”

Is it, really? He is a robot, I think he can take it. Also he should learn how to stop on his own! Unless he can't... Wow, Geppetto, you really dropped the ball there.

"Try pressing the B button while Oliver is moving. Moving and stopping are important basic skills, so make sure you practice them well!”

"Next we'll practice moving items around! I'm the one that will actually pick up and move objects. See the ball on the floor? Try moving me so my wand is touching the ball. Then, hold down the B button and move me around! If you let go of the B button, I'll let go of the item.”

Well I find it easier to get onto the item and click. Seems I don't quite get it if only the wand is touching. However this is very useful.

"Next we'll practice moving items in and out of our inventory! Just like you did before, pick up an item from the screen, and then move it to the window at the bottom. When you let go of the B button, the item will enter the inventory window. To get it back out, grab it the same way with the B button!”

This is super useful because it allows us to carry items to different locations, which we will open up later on as we progress through the game.

"Please put it back out so we can keep practicing, okay?”

It will sit here until we pull it back out for use. This inventory might get pretty filled up by the end. Anyway, let's put it back and move on.

"Oliver will act on items of his own accord. When he does, you'll see the lights at the top of the screen light up. That means one or more of Oliver's parameters has changed.”

Now we're getting to the core of the game. Changing our robot's stats. Paying attention to what changes to the actions he takes will clue us in one what we need to do or what we are doing wrong.

"The red represents a change to his combat parameters. The yellow one represents athletic parameters. The blue one indicates mental parameters. And the green one represents sensitivity parameters!”
"Okay then... let's practice guiding Oliver to items!”

We will be doing this a lot, but Oliver can also react to items without us. If we leave him alone too long, he will wonder off on his own and touch things without us telling him too. So we gotta be a momma hawk!

"Try moving me so that my wand touches the ball and press the A button. I'll point at it and Oliver will come over and do something with it.”

Ooooooohhhhh... If you missed it, the lights above blinked after he did...that. So something changed. Or normally it would change, but not in the tutorial.

"Just like he did now, Oliver will act on items of his own accord. Of course, he won't necessarily always get it right...”

I donno, he seems like a bright boy!

See? He could have totally put it in his mouth! He knows to be wary of new things. Now if I had a newspaper... Ah! Right, we have something better. Onto how to discipline him!

"So, you have to praise and scold him in order for him to learn. Let's practice praising him first! Try pressing the X button! I'll praise Oliver!”

”Hehehehe, I did good, eh?”
"If you praise him right after he does something, Oliver will learn that he took the correct action. Understand?”
"Okay, next let's practice scolding and punishing! When Oliver does something you don't want him to do, or when you want to change an action you had him master, you have to scold him. Try pressing the Y button! I'll scold Oliver! If you press the Y button again... I'll hit him to punish him!”

Someone sounded a tad to eager. But for now we'll do a normal scolding.

...And so begins the defiance.

"...Hmm Oliver seems to be in a bad mood now... Oh well, that can't be helped at the moment. Anyway, if you scold Oliver right after he's done something, he'll learn that he shouldn't do that. Understand?”
"Finally, I'll explain about the status screen. Every time Oliver does something, his parameters will change. Some go up, some go down... It's so hard to keep track of! So, it's a good idea to check his status on a regular basis. Pressing the select button will bring up the status screen. Press it again for the next screen. To exit, just press the B button!”

Here's our default stats we start off with. We'll be messing with these throughout the game. Balancing all of them out can be hard, sometimes we will need to lower others to get Oliver to do what we want. So having everything all the way up isn't always a good thing.

"There you go! Ready to move on?”
"That's it for the practice lessons, but would you like to go over it again?”

No.

We're done! That's it for Act 1. Next time, we'll get to move around the house and have our first puzzle. This one will be pretty easy to figure out, but if you push too hard you can still have trouble.

Next time on Wonder Project J...

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

This already looks like a more complex raising sim/AI setup than Black and White.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I like this game though I remember getting messed up on the whole 'you need combinations of stats to progress, not just everything at max' thing.

Then I got stuck at a segment where the stat combination/item requirement is practically obtuse and haven't picked it up since.

It's a good idea for a game though, I just wish the second one had gotten ported over since it's where the majority of my interest came from (thanks Nintendo Power.)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
This game got translated? I remember giving it a try ages ago in Japanese and blundered my way through it, abusing the poor little android kid the whole way. It was like Tamagotchi except without the blissful release of death for the digital pet. I am all up in this LP, this game is fascinating.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

StrangeAeon posted:

This already looks like a more complex raising sim/AI setup than Black and White.

More complex, no. More user-friendly, yes.

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!

StrangeAeon posted:

I hear nothing but how bad that game is. I keep being tempted to try it and then I hear another person saying how awful it is. :raise: But I've never really seen why. Then again I haven't seen anyone play it, so I donno. I should check to see if there's a LP of it here in the archive...

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's a good idea for a game though, I just wish the second one had gotten ported over since it's where the majority of my interest came from (thanks Nintendo Power.)

It's too bad neither came over. I like the first game more than the second one for quite a few reasons(I think the story is better in the first game, but the second had good ideas), but to be fair to the second game there are a few parts to the first that are just easier to skip through with a turbo button if the RNG becomes too much. The parts I don't like in the second game have more to do with finding items in a very crowded interface screen. But that's a story for another time when I get to that game.

Nuebot posted:

This game got translated? I remember giving it a try ages ago in Japanese and blundered my way through it, abusing the poor little android kid the whole way. It was like Tamagotchi except without the blissful release of death for the digital pet. I am all up in this LP, this game is fascinating.

This is a patched version I'm using, I learned about the game seeing someone else play it a long time ago. I do own the game, well I own them both. Which is why I have art to post up, I have them scanned from the manual. I'll have to scan it again and post them up in the extra area where I plan to post profiles, but I'll have to do it bit by bit. I want to avoid spoilers because it lists just about all the characters that we meet in the game. I would love it if someone knew the translations to the profiles of the characters.

Hope you enjoy the LP, we'll be getting to our first puzzle, soon. ;)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Biggest Issue with Black & White is that things tend to get really grindy and it has an unforgiving difficulty curve (sandbox maps are pretty awesome though.)
It's totally worth a try though and 2 fixes a bunch of core issues.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
The LP I've been dreaming of doing, done so much better than I ever woulda. This is awesome! I love this game so much. Such a charming game.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 7, 2015

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!

"training. Let's activate all seven hearts and awaken Circuit J! Ready?
"Hmm... I wonder what we should start with... Ah! I know...”

Oh? Good thing Tinker is on the case! What should we teach our little robot?

”Ow!...hey...cut it out! You're supposed to be on our side!”
”Your side? Hah! I work for our masters, the humans! We don't have anymore use for worn out old Model 4600s! You mass-produced piece of junk!”

”Oh? You wanna fight? We interface-robots directly represent the humans' will. If you rise up against me, do you realize what they will do to this village in response? Hmmmm?”

Me too. We need to do something!

"MotherB! Let's see if we can find a way to rescue him!”

Okay, Tinker. We need to get Oliver to help. Now, I have a way we can approach this.

We teach Oliver compassion and understanding and talk to the Gichuu. Maybe because Oliver looks like a human, it will listen. I mean, we need to bridge the gap between humans the robots, with love!

A ball? Well maybe we can settle all of this with a friendly game, and learn team work and to get along, and--

--or we beat the ever loving crap out of it and teach Oliver violence solves all problems. Good plan.

"In order to do that, we need to have Oliver master how to throw a ball.”

...can we just teach Oliver dodge ball instead? No?

"You see that ball lying there? Guide Oliver to the ball. Oliver will decide what to do with the ball on his own. If he throws it, be sure to praise him! If you keep praising him when he does it right, he'll master it! On the other hand, if he doesn't do what you want, you can scold him and he'll do that action less.”

I'm trying to keep him from turning on me, Tinker!

"Understand?”

UGH. Yes.

"Okay, let's go ahead and have Oliver go out to that Gijin's location before he masters ball throwing and see what happens.”

This is Tinker trying to show us how to get clues as to what to do. Sometimes failing at the task helps us understand what we did wrong or what we need to focus on.

"Ready? I'm going to wake him up now! Oliver!! Time to get up!”

Morning, Oliver. Please listen to me today. I guess we'll go over and see what happens when we try to get Oliver to help #46. At least we get to see the outside of the house. Okay, Oliver, out the door.

This is gunna be a long day.

Okay! We're outside! We have a well, a little chicken coop, and one chicken. Nice.

There's also a doggie! But for now we're gunna leave the animals alone. We do have an objective right now.

The screen isn't too long, we'll walk right off it and into the map screen.

Geppetto's house and where #46 is are the only places we can go right now.

Let's go!

This looks promising.

"MotherB! Let's watch how Oliver does!”

”Ah, haha, hello there! Nothing special to see here, I was just warning a rebellious Gijin.”

”If that ball had been moving a little faster, it'd have hit me!”

Oh wow, Oliver was close to getting it right! That doesn't normally happen.

"isn't high enough it seems. Let's use an item to raise the strength of his arms! You'll need to learn to use all sorts of items!”

Heh, the first puzzle is pretty much spelled out for us. You can kind of see this as another part of the tutorial. Still, we need to figure out how much work we need to put into this. Before we do that, let's look around the house.

Let's pick up the ball and steel dumbbell.

On the other side of the house we have a...thing. I donno what this blue and purple glowing machine is, so we'll leave that alone. Can't click on it anyway. On the floor is a stick. Let's pick that up. Also pudding. Let's get that before Oliver tries to eat it.

Stop right there! Phew. It's a snack that Gijin seem to like. I donno how that works, maybe it's just a trait they picked up from humans. But the pudding can help calm Oliver down if he gets too mad at us. We'll be teaching him the importance of violence and bribing. I'm an awesome parent.

Before we head upstairs, there's a small door over here. Let's take a peek.

Nice! An energy and health battary. We can use these instead of making Oliver go to back to the pod and paying money to charge him. The game didn't explain it too well, but health goes down as Oliver walks around, while energy goes down when he interacts with items. It's like his mental health. Anyway, let's go upstairs.

You can't blame me for that one.

Upstairs we have a kitty! And more items to pick up. Let's take this Sleep-Aid. Hm. With this we can put Oliver to sleep and he won't wake up till the next day... I have no clue why we would want this. I don't think I've ever used it.

After that we have a Sit Still. It's a potion that makes Gijin stop moving until we give an order. Will keep Oliver from wandering off while I think about what to make him do next. Another item I don't think I ever used. Huh. Well the last item is useful, it's a Grammar Book. With that, we can raise his intelligence.

Here's a picture of your Papa, Oliver. There's a note left on it, let's read it.

”1. Practice proper use of praise and scolding to maintain skillful control. Scolding is also an important part of parental love! 2. When having him master an action, be consistent with what you tell him. 3. Check his stats often! 4. Take full advantage of the items in the shop! 5. And above all else, maintain his trust!”

That's a little more information for us. We can't get to the shop in Act 2, but we'll have access to it soon. Also the trust thing. You lose that, good luck trying to get Oliver to listen to you. Which we lose as we scold him. He is a child, at least mentally, so I guess it's expected if we're too hard on him, he'll feel like a failure. We can raise the trust by praising him and giving him treats. Saving the treats when he's mad at you is the best use for it.

Confidence and Diligence are kind of important as well. He feels like trying harder with that higher. We can bring that up with praise as well. Diligence goes up without praise, him just trying to figure out what an item does can make it go up.

Anyway, what else do we have here?

We have a stove here. Oliver hasn't a clue what to do with it. Let's...keep him away. We don't want him to burn the house down.

We have a table. Which Oliver uses wrong, but we'll let that go for now.

And we have a desk, which... Oliver feels like singing on. Okay buddy.

Before we get to training, even in Act 2 it's possible to break Oliver. Let's go outside real quick.

"The pod computer is running the auto-repair program, so he'll be okay, but it's going to cost 3000 Corlo for the power and take three days to complete. Be careful next time, okay?”

Let's pretend we didn't do that. Go back inside Oliver, we've got training to do.

Stop worshiping false doors, Oliver! Gunna have to train that out of him. Let me think a moment. Oliver, wander around or something.

Hey now, I'm working on it. Just play around the room. I guess we should decide what items we should use...

Aww, Oliver. You're making me feel bad.

Aww, Oliver. Now you're making me worry to go to bed tonight. I think I might have a use for the Sleep-Aid after all.

I think he wants to get started. Alright, go downstairs. We'll practice there.

Stop sniffing everything.

With these items we can get the job done! So while it might be an easy puzzle this time around, what stats do you think we need to raise to pull this off? Also, we don't need to use all these items, but which ones should I use?

Arm Power is obvious, but what else would help us? There's only one other stat we really need.

Animated Reviewer fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 8, 2015

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Make love not war.

Kindness.

Attack

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Obviously, we should raise his intelligence/reasoning with the books so he can figure out what a ball is without being told. The best parenting is the kind done entirely passively.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm guessing balance is important. No point in a 400 mph fastball if we can't hit anything with it, and that's the closest I see to a dexterity stat.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh my gosh this game's so charming. :3:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dr Pepper posted:

Oh my gosh this game's so charming. :3:

The music's wonderful as well. Here's what plays while you're in the house/lab.

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!

Lizard Wizard posted:

The music's wonderful as well. Here's what plays while you're in the house/lab.

Nice~
I do like the music in this game, which is good because you'll hear it for a while when you train Oliver. I wanted to add it into the LP like I did with my last one, but couldn't figure out how this time.

So, I decided to add more videos of the cutscenes and of the failed attempts. I'll try to get as many different types as I can think of, but sometimes it is hard to get our newborn robot to do the one I want before he just refuses to listen. Oh well, that's what save states are for!

I added video of the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzOoRUzYucs

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!

Well! Nice guesses everyone. I'll explain what we don't need first. We don't need the stick, though it can help with arm power, we don't need attack power. We're only trying to hit it once, attack power is for much stronger opponents and for real fights. We're ambushing Gichuu.

Righto, Oliver. Let's put that away.

As for balance, that's all it's for. Balancing on objects. Which is why Oliver fell into the well, he couldn't keep his balance.

No! Read it! We need to get Oliver's smarts up so he understands what the steel dumbbell is. We don't need to use the grammar book for that, him trying to figure out what an item is can raise it as well.
However, it makes it easier to have him interact with more than one object. If we try to have him focus on one object too long...

He'll refuse to work on it and get real bored with the object.

You haven't a clue what you're reading, do you? Lucky for us, we don't need you to be that much smarter.

I don't really praise him when he does this or scold him. He is trying to figure out what the item is, so that's good, but I don't want him stuck in that mind set. If we praise him, he'll keep doing it instead of trying to use it right. But also we can't raise his confidence and trust with us and he could get bored so... it's just a matter of balancing out what to focus on.

Good boy! There aren't many reactions we haven't seen that Oliver hasn't already had with any other item.
Well, except for one, but I'm not sure I can do it in Act 2, because... we'll let's just say we don't have access to the shop yet, so I donno if the game will allow it. And I tried a few times to get it until I realized this.
Let's switch between the dumbbell and the ball. He can gain arm strength with both. And for whatever reason he's figured the ball out for the most part.

Yay! That means that's how he'll always react to the item unless he's bored with it or we scold him and deprogram that idea out of his head. We also get a silly trumpet sound of victory for doing that.

I think his arms are strong enough now. This let's us know we got his arm strength up to a higher level that will make a difference. Doesn't always mean it's enough, but for this beginner puzzle, it is. Shall we test it out?

Why is my confidence in this idea going down?

The opening is all the same. The difference is only when Oliver picks up the ball.

Oh!... Oh dear. Uh... This is bad.

Leave no witnesses, Oliver!

”Th-thank you... But, why would a human... Wha!?... Is it my imagination, or do I feel a Gijin pulse from you...”

”Ehhhhhhhhhh!?”

Goodness, Tinker, I didn't know you could hide yourself like that. She just appears out of nowhere, doesn't even fly in.

”An interface-robot! But that means...”
"That's right! This boy is a Gijin!”

So no one cares that we just murdered that Gichuu? Unless he can disappear like Tinker, I think we killed him.

"He's the newest model, just recently activated.”
”I'm Oliver! Pleased to meet you!”
”Amazing! He looks just like a human. Ah, where are my manners... My name is Gijin Model 4600, or Number 46. Pleased to meet you, and thank you so much for helping me out there! I can't do anything for you in return...”

You could help us bury the body.

”But at least, if you ever have any trouble, feel free to come ask me for advice!”
"Thank you! Ah, by the way... Why was Gichuu picking on you like that?”
”Lately, the humans keep showing more and more hatred and prejudice towards us for no apparent reason. Like Gichuu, other interface-robots have been betraying us as well... If things continue like this, I'm afraid it's only a matter of time before human-Gijin relations become irrecoverable...”

Murder would damper that, yes.

”...but, Oliver... Looking at you now... I have a feeling that you may be the one to some day save us all from this situation...using a power yet unimagined... I expect great things from you, Oliver!”

Heh, Oliver! And you thought I put pressure on you!

”You can count on it!”

I don't think he was listening.

Good thing Gichuu was a robot, his body will be harder to find since he won't start smelling.

"Just like you did then, guide Oliver around this island, letting him experience as much as possible, and activating all seven of his heart circuits in order to awaken Circuit J!”

We're going to try for less killing. I'm trying to keep this boy from learning he can do that to me.

"If you ever get stuck, you can try asking Number 46 or perhaps see what the people in town are talking about.”

Sweet, the town will be open next Act. Also 46 is pretty much our tips guy. If you're super stuck, he can try to give you hints as you what you are doing wrong.

"Are you ready then, MotherB? Alright, let's go!”
”Let's go, MotherB!”

And so ends Act 2. Now that we have an idea of what we're doing, the next acts will have multiple objectives we need to do to clear the puzzle, not just one.

Before we end, here's what happens when you piss off Oliver, what Tinker was talking about when she said she would hit him, and when Oliver fails.

It's super hard to get him to listen to you once you lose the trust. Best way to do that is to use the hammer and tell him he's wrong all the time. While funny, I hardly ever bring the hammer out. That doesn't mean I won't ever use it. I'll show that in Act 3.

That's what happens when Oliver reacts wrong to the ball. It's the same no matter what he does with it, Gichuu is confused. Now he's just dead.

Next time on Wonder Project J...

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!

"grumpy old man named Fam lives. I've heard he's looking for someone to carry on his work and take care of the farm...”

Farm work? That sounds like a good way to teach Oliver some responsibility.

"Let's have Oliver give it a try! Also, we're now able to go to the Corlo town shop! Let's go shopping for Oliver sometime!”

Awesome! With the shop, we're able to get items to help train and to change stats. We're gunna head to the town first before the farm to see what's on sale at the item shop.

"But remember, if Oliver's stress is high, those items you just spent your hard earned money to buy won't work very well, so keep that in mind, okay?”

Well, there are items to lower stress as well, so I'll just have to keep an eye on that.

Good morning! Let's go shopping!

Well, at least he stopped worshiping it.

Oh look, we can also go the Ginji Village. It's where #46 is. When we need tips, we can head over and ask for help. Or when we fail, we'll head over before being forced back to Geppetto's house.

To Corlo Town!

At the end of this screen is the shop, but before we head inside, let's listen in on the townsfolk. It'll help us get an idea of what's going on around the island and sometimes give us a clue.

”I'll listen in...”
”I'm so sick of those Gijin. So what if they colonized this island 50 years ago? They're no longer needed. We'd all be better off if they'd just leave.”
”Hey...that's mean!!”

Geez. Sure is... Should we listen to another?

”Really? I don't think they need to be that strict with them...”
”What are you, some kind of Ginji-lover?”
”Eh, uh, no! Of course not... It's just...”
”...is what they said.”

This isn't getting any better.... So onto the next one!

”It's so true. It's so difficult to get hold of vegetables on this island. It's really a bother. I'm sick of synthetic food.”
”...is what they're saying.”

Hm. So farming has died down on Corlo? I mean in the intro we saw Ginji farming. I wonder what happened?

”Fam... gave up on the farm... There's no one to carry on the work. This island... it's changed since our time...”
”...is what he said.”

Really? Hm. Well it seems Fam hasn't completely given up since he's looking for workers. But still, it seems there are very few farms left.

”Look! Over there, that boy.”
”Hmm, never seen him before. I wonder where he's from.”
”...they're staring right at me. This is kinda embarrassing.”

Uh, uh... Let's go hide inside the shop.

Holy poo poo, Oliver. Gone from worshiping it to screaming at it. Did you have a falling out with doors?

”Welcome! You're an athletic looking little fellow!”

Here is the Clerk. Oliver, depending on his stats, will have different greetings to the Clerk who will also have different response

”To make your purchase, please choose an item from the menu on the monitor. Use the up and down arrows on the side of the monitor to change the menu. To sell an item, simple place it on the counter!”

Probably for the best. Oliver will just stare off into the void while we shop. Let's see what we can buy. I'm gunna show an icon of the item and the Clerk will explain what it does. There are a few items here that aren't being sold yet and some that really have nothing to do with what we're doing, so we'll skip them for now and just focus on what we can buy. Though for some reason the dumbbell is also sold out. Weird.

”Those are known as Mysterious Seeds. Their only use is on the farm. I've heard they can be used to grow very valuable fruits and vegetables, but I'm afraid I can't sell them without Fam's permission. If you can get his permission, I can sell them to you and send them to the farm...”

That's odd, but they aren't useful to use in this act. But it's good to remember this.

”That's a C-Charger. It raises health & energy by 100, but if stress is high, it won't work well, so keep that in mind! Also, be aware that it's a cheap item; it will have side effects on other abilities as well...”

”That's a B-Charger. It raises health & energy by 100, but if stress is high, it won't work well, so keep that in mind! Also, be aware that it's a cheap item; it will have side effects on other abilities as well...”

”That's a A-Charger. It raises health & energy by 200, but if stress is high, it won't work well, so keep that in mind! Also, be aware that it's a cheap item; it will have side effects on other abilities as well...”

I wonder what side effects... They must be all different, while each one of these items seem to do the same thing, they all cost different amounts. So I'm guessing the side effects are different. Or one of these has a typo since B and C seem to give the same amount...

I will admit, a lot of these items I never used, I just play this game too carefully and don't mind taking my time to change the stats through learning. Only a few times have I used stat changing items when I need a quicker change. There's another reason for this, but I'll explain it another time, it's a game+ thing.

However, since this is a Let's Play, we're gunna mess with everything and see what it does to Oliver. So that should be fun!

”That's a mori-mori fruit. It doesn't grow on this island. When Ginji eat it, it raises their strength immensely, but if stress is high, it won't work well, so keep that in mind!”

”That's a strange fruit called nami-nami. When Ginji eat it, all of their abilities change.”

”Those are seeds. Of course, no one grows plants on this island anyway, so there's not really much point in stocking them, but that old man Fam kept insisting...”

”That's an encyclopedia. It's the best for increasing your intelligence and imagination.”

”That's a nice picture book. When you read it, you can just feel yourself becoming kinder and less combative.”

”That's a hoe. But here on this island with no farms, it's just for decoration.”

Wow, people have really give up on the idea of farms. This is kind of depressing.

”That's a power-down potion. When a Ginji takes that, it lowers all his parameters. Eh? “Why would anyone want that?” you ask? *shrug* Beats me...”

I could think of a good reason, but there's easier ways. These next few items all saw the same thing, but are named differently.

“AB-CPU”
”O-CPU”
”B-CPU”
”A-CPU”

“It contains the data of a blood type [blood type here] human. Eating that changes all parameters completely, so be careful!”

Oh Japan. :3: You and your thing about blood types being related to personalities. We'll have to see which each one does.

”That's a Konki candy. It's effective at helping Gijin with low attention spans that seem to get bored easily.”

”That's a confidence potion. It's effective on Ginji that need to build self-confidence, but if your stress is high...”

And now another set of similar items.

“Sensitivity.” Lowers “Attack and Defense”
“Athletic.” Lowers “ Intelligence”
“Intelligence.” Lowers “Athletic”
”Attack and Defense.” Lowers “Sensitivity”

“That chip raises a Ginji's [stat chip] by a considerable amount, but it also lowers [stat chip] by quite a bit, and has additional side effects as well, so be careful.”

Seems like a lot of these items cause a lot of problems.

”That's a mini-television. You can watch four different programs on it... but be careful not to spend too much time watching TV.”

...We so need to get this. I completely forgot about this item. Probably because it costs soooo much money. Let's make a mental note and grab this sometime, I have never used it before.

”That's a magical stone. If you have a Ginji eat that, for the next three minutes afterwards, their health simply won't go down, no matter what.”

That's neat. But costs a lot.

”That's a sense-crystal. When Ginji eat it, their sensitivity goes up, but I've heard rumors it can make them act strangely as well...”

Another item to go for to see what it does. Lots of off-screen grinding for money for me.

”That's an old unreliable CPU. If you have a Ginji eat it, it'll raise their intelligence, but it's unreliable, so it can strange side effects... “

”That's called a Battle Skull. It's a somewhat dangerous item. When Ginji eat it, they gain great combative and defensive skills, but they may begin to act strangely...”

You know, with how this island is turning on Ginji, you'd think items like this would be banned. That sounds scary.

We're done! Holy crap that was a lot. And there's still itmes we didn't cover yet. Well, another time. Let's head to the farm and see what needs to be done.

”Heya! I'm Oliver!”
”Hmm? This boy... Is this Geppetto's...”

Wow, someone who's not easily fooled by Oliver's human appearance.

”*cough* Well, I don't know who you are or where you came from, but do you have an interest in farming? If you do, show me that you know how to use that Hoe and those seeds over there.”

Oliver! That's no way to treat a dog.

”get the hell out of my farm!!”

Run, Oliver! Before Old Man Fam hits you with his cane!

We'll escape to #46 and ask him what to do!

”He was mean to Fam's pet dog? Hmmm...... You'd better teach Oliver not to do things like that to dogs.”

Pretty much 'don't be an rear end to dogs', got it. Well that can't be all we need to do. I mean, after we deal with the dog, we gotta plant seeds! So what stats would work for that I wonder... and items. We need to buy stuff from the store as well.

I donno about you guys, but I think I see the problem.

If I made some mistakes or this seems rushed, I won't be able to fix this right away. Life gunna have me too busy to check for the next few days. But when I'm free again, we'll be training our robot to be a real farmer.

Animated Reviewer fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 11, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
You just misspelled items, otherwise it cool.

And uhh, no idea what to raise. I'm dreadful at these sort of games, which is why I like when folks LP them~

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

You just misspelled items, otherwise it cool.
Gijin are not items, they are people just like you and me.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Gotta get Sensitivity, Kindness and Feeling up.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Cheez posted:

Gijin are not items, they are people just like you and me.
Counter-point: Do goons really count as people half the time?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Focus on Reasoning, so he can understand why he shouldn't kick dogs AND how to farm properly. Making him nicer will only accomplish goal #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

darealkooky posted:

Focus on Reasoning, so he can understand why he shouldn't kick dogs AND how to farm properly. Making him nicer will only accomplish goal #1

Yeah, note that there's a very obvious step 2 and 3 here. Kindness will accomplish the first, Arm Power is the key to the second, I believe, and Reasoning is the closest to what you'll need to accomplish the third.

Of course, from the looks of things, one could short-circuit a fair bit of that by simply training the boy absent too many stat increases. All you need to do is pet the dog, even if you don't really mean it, and I sincerely doubt the game is complex enough to discern the differences between well sown and poorly sown seed, so just working with him until he does it right would probably work fine.

With frequent breaks, of course, since he's gonna get bored easily.

• Locked thread