Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Animated Reviewer posted:

Good thing Gichuu was a robot, his body will be harder to find since he won't start smelling.

A bit late, but I think the idea is that Oliver looks a LOT like a human, and humans disciplining Interface Units (even if they're doing it that hard) is a-OK.

HOLY poo poo THAT COW.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!
Awww, this is what happens when you try to update as you're running out the door. I messed up on the stat chips. Here's the correction, each one will raise something and lower something.

“Sensitivity.” Lowers “Attack and Defense”
“Athletic.” Lowers “ Intelligence”
“Intelligence.” Lowers “Athletic”
”Attack and Defense.” Lowers “Sensitivity”

“That chip raises a Ginji's [stat chip] by a considerable amount, but it also lowers [stat chip] by quite a bit, and has additional side effects as well, so be careful.”

Lizard Wizard posted:

A bit late, but I think the idea is that Oliver looks a LOT like a human, and humans disciplining Interface Units (even if they're doing it that hard) is a-OK.

That is why Oliver gets away with it. Anyone who saw that(and if Gichuu is still functional) will just think a human master dealt with him. Still, I feel it's strange we decided to deal with it this way while we're trying to repair the relationship between humans and Ginji. Hurting another type of robot seems kind of counterproductive.

I'm hoping to update either tomorrow or real soon, but decided to at least correct the stat item.

Animated Reviewer fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 11, 2015

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!
Okay, let's get to work getting Oliver to be nicer to animals. Should be easy, right?

Easy~

We've got items to buy first. While we're going to focus on the animal kindness, we do also have seeds to sow and a field to hoe. So let's get seeds and a hoe and one more item...

This picture book should help. What's great about this book is not only will kindness go up, but so will his reasoning. Which will be very helpful in getting Oliver to learn about hoeing and sowing seeds.

Let's go home and practice.

Let's put away the ball and dumbbell.

While putting the items out on the floor, Oliver decided on his own to check out the book. Aww.

...Damnit, Oliver.

Uhhh... Where did the book go?

My book disappeared!

Oh! The grammar book landed behind the picture book. While looking for the book, Oliver decided to workout with the picture book. Had to tell him to cut that out. Books are for reading!

Let's spread everything out and hopefully Oliver won't toss around anything else.

Oops. Okay, we haven't really taught Oliver to read yet. I guess the picture book is like those children books. While mostly pictures, still has writing in it. Let's go back to the grammar book.

While reading does lower Oliver's arm power, we can afford to let that happen. Right now we want reasoning and kindness up.

Oliver got bored learning to read, so I thought contact with the animals might be a good idea.

It was not.

Stop kicking the cat!

I'm not backing down on this Oliver. No kicking cats! Well, I guess it's time for our first bribe with Oliver. To the pudding!

The cat has the right idea to get far away from Oliver. Let's get out of here and get back to reading. Trying to get along with the animals isn't working.

Reading seems to be going well.

Maybe we should try the picture book again?

Oliver just can't leave well enough alone. I had put the picture book away and sometimes going through the inventory can take longer than I want. Oliver then does stuff while I take forever.

Much better! Doing this a few times might be enough to get him to be nicer to the animals.

Another level of smarts for Oliver. But he still can't quite read the book. Also the book is raising not just his reasoning, but his imagination. And his confidence is so high right now. Which is good. But I'm beginning to think he might be getting a little cocky...

...Please don't do that, Oliver.

I think we're ready!

Good~ GOOD~

Oliver, that's being a little too friendly.

I told you to stop being mean to animals, Oliver. Jeez. The dog is the only animal that fights back, and only if Oliver kicks him like that. It also takes some health away. Not a lot, probably about as much as him running into a wall. I'd be worried if Oliver wasn't a robot... The shove kick he does will only push the dog away and he won't bite back. Let's... try again.

I think because he's gotten smarter, he's also changed how he reacts to my discipline. He doesn't ask if he did something wrong, he just shrugs and makes a 'whom-whomp' cartoony sound.

Much better! Okay, I think we've learned that animals are alive and shouldn't be kicked. If we had tried to have Oliver learn without the picture book, we wouldn't raise his reasoning, just imagination. Reasoning is the part of his intelligence that we needed raised for him to understand the hoe and seeds. Instead he would be asking if the animal was alive or not, not understanding if he should be nice to it. The picture book taught him ahead of time to be nice. So it's not the only way to do it, but I like being able to tackle more than one stat at a time. The picture book covers so much as well as the grammar book.

Also we risk him getting attacked by the dog less doing it this way.

The stats are getting much better and we've kept stress low. Perfect. We can ignore attack and defense for now, it's not important in what we're trying to do.

I've really push Oliver's mental energy. Let's give him a battery... I probably should have just have him sleep to recharge instead, it's cheaper. Oh well.

Working on it, Oliver. Move chicken, I need to have Oliver see the battery.

We can get past the dog now. So it is time to work on the hoe and seeds.

:stare: Okay... Oliver, I'm glad you like me more, but no need to throw a temper tantrum! Jeez, boy. Come on, let's go back inside.

Uh... as long as you're trying to understand what it is, I can let that slide. This strangly raises his 'feeling' stat and lowers his attack...okay.

Oliver sure does love to spin his head around when thinking. I wonder why? I do hope he won't do that in public. We're trying to keep him safe from Ginji hate right now.
Also this is lowering his arm strength. Good thing it's only by a little bit, he's gaining reasoning faster than we're losing arm strength.

Almost there. We need him to toil the ground, not the air.
I think I didn't raise his reasoning high enough yet, which we probably could have done with another book from the shop. But that's okay, his thinking over the item will work out well enough and he has to figure it out on his own anyway, no matter the stat level. We can always get the book another time for a different puzzle.

Also I'm a bit of a penny pincher in this game. I really, REALLY need to unlearn that so I'll buy the other silly items, ha ha. Maybe Oliver and I aren't so different after all.

Nooooo, that's too rough, Oliver. At least he's determined to figure this out, his diligence almost to 99. That is probably why he's not getting bored so easily with this.

He wasn't bored with the hoe, but I decided to see what he thought of the seeds before I finally give him a break for the day. It did level his smarts up. But his mental health is low again and it's cheaper and easier to put him to sleep. I hate wasting a day, but we need to do this.

One more time! But now we know his arms aren't strong enough for him to use that right. Good to know.

To BED Oliver! It's nice that you can read now, but to BED.

Now we're gunna do something that I haven't done yet. Save the game. I really shouldn't rely on the save states so much. Never know when something will go wrong.

"We can charge his health and energy up to 100, but it will cost 100 Corlo for the electricity... Is that okay?”

Very cheap to charge Oliver. Which will also make a day go by. Let's do it.

"Good night, Oliver...”

Now the screen goes black and Tinker asks if we wanna save. It won't cost anything! We can save here anytime without charging Oliver if we want too. Let's get back to work.

I decided to put back the steel dumbbell.

Uh-oh. Oliver is getting to that stage in life where you start asking the hard questions. Next he'll be asking where baby robots come from. I'm not going answer that! That's for your Papa to take care of.

We're getting there. We're so close...

Oliver finally understands what the hoe is!

Nice to see Oliver so happy with how well he's doing. Should be easy for him to figure out seeds next. But first let's have Oliver try the hoe out.

Easy on the floor, Oliver. But we're done with the hoe. Quick, to the seeds!

A bit over dramatic, but he's got it. Time to go and farm!

:siren: Video! :siren:

We're back, old man.

”Hmm, you again?”
”Heya! I'm Oliver!”
”Did you brush up your skills?”

Dog done. Next.

Good, good.

And we've passed! :dance: I'm not a terrible parent!

Be nice. And I'm talkin' to you, old man. Oliver did good today.

To be fair, Oliver did kick your dog.

”I've been waiting for a boy like you to come along for some time now. A heart that loves nature... a love for nature that no one here has had since back before the war 50 years ago...”

Ooooh. Hmm. So there was a war for sure. I guess that explains some of the depression on the island?

”...I've been waiting for a boy with such a heart. Young man, you may use this place as you like! If you raise crops, I'll sell them at the Corlo town shop for you! There's hardly any fruits and vegetables on this island. I can already imagine everyone's excited faces! I'm counting on you, boy!”
”Yay!”

From what I saw in town, there will be people excited for real food.

Well, well, well! Here's a new screen!

We have finally started our path to getting the Circuit J to work. This can only lead to good things!

Sure did!

"If we wait a little while, spots should appear and grow into fruits and vegetables! If you keep growing products and selling them, it'll bring in good money!”

Now we have a way to make money. We can begin grinding for money for whatever we want from the shop. Everyone can make a suggestion as to what to get first. Now I did leave out some items, but that's mainly because they are related to either other puzzles or weren't for sale yet. I'll see about trying out a few of these items in the next update before we start the next act proper.

"How much you can grow depends on your luck when you planted the seeds.”

Our luck is in a decent place. I'll have to see how we can raise that, I think I remember how. And now, before we check our ending stats and have a preview of the next act... it's time for failing and other things I got Oliver to do.

This is something Oliver wouldn't do until now. We have a shop so we can replace anything he destroys. Still, better to not let him do that in the first place. I think if he gets frustrated enough with you telling him he's wrong, wrong, wrong, he'll just decide to rip the book apart. There's another thing he'll do with items, but I couldn't get the RNG (and maybe the stats?) to work in my favor, so maybe another time.

Also, if you get Oliver to learn the hoe, but ignore the seeds, we fail to complete the task.

”Can't you even do that? Come back when you know what you're doing!”

”Did you try buying some and practicing? If you have Oliver “think” about how to use the seeds, he'll probably figure it out on his own. But if he's not smart enough he will never get it... It's best to start with the grammar book and have him study until he's at least smart enough to read an encyclopedia.”

Seems like 46 just spells it out for us if we're having trouble. Also the game takes pity on you at this point and...

...the work we did earlier is still there and the dog won't appear. I wonder if the game thinks we can't balance the stats out very well and gives us a break? That's great and all, but figuring this out is important for later when the game stops being this nice. But this also could be a hint for later?...Hmm, I wonder.

Oliver's stats are coming along nicely. Next time we're gunna really put him to work. Not just for money, but the next puzzle will have more than one scenario to finish.

Also, I realized I didn't have transparency effects turned on the emulator. Oops. Should look a little better now in Act 4. Which it became really notable in one place, ha ha.

We have made Oliver into...

A real farmer. Congrats everyone. Woot.

Next time on Wonder Project J...

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, this game seems so full of charm.

Is there a time limit? I forget.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I have to agree that this looks like a lot more fun than Black & White. For one thing, you can actually tell what you're scolding and rewarding. I know they fixed that in Black & White 2, but that just made it clear how few things you could actually scold and reward FOR.

Yeah, this game is limited in what you can do as well, but it's an SNES game. Even so, I think it may actually be comparable in AI content!

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Man, this game seems so full of charm.

Is there a time limit? I forget.

Yeah, love this game. :3:

No, not really, there's no time limit. Well, as far as I know for the first play through. It's because I was working on 2nd playthrough before I did the Let's Play, which I was speed running(reasons to be explained when we get there). My mind is mostly there. Trying to slow down and enjoy the silliness of the game. Also passing time doesn't matter until you have the farm job, where you can start making money. Not much point in letting the time pass if you can avoid it until then.

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!

”racetrack! There's a foot race, shot put, hole-in-one contest, and a free kick contest!”

Oh wow, lots of sports. Seems like that's what we mainly do around here.

"For every contest won, you get prize money and a trophy, and the one who can win all four will be crowned “sports king”! Let's have Oliver give it a try!

You had me at prize money! Let's do this.

"...Oh, also, we're now able to go to the pier! Let's take a stroll down there sometime!”

Mornin'! Let's see.. where should we go first? I know we have a sports meet to check out, but there's also the pier and the shop, and... well let's go look.

Let's check out the pier.

Huh? Uh, okay.

I'm glad Oliver has stayed polite.

Uh. Hello good sir! We will just... wander about here.

Oh hey! A trumpet.

:doh:

What are you? King of the pier?

Yeah, I agree Oliver. Let's go.

Let's check out The Racetrack. We should get an idea of what we're suppose to be doing.

Good luck, Oliver!

”Alright! That's the spirit! Hmm? What do we have here? A human boy!? This *is* unusual!”

”This contest itself is a great idea and all, but Gijin just go around winning everything so it's gotten silly. Humans don't even bother to participate anymore.”

I'm surprised they let the Ginji participate, to be honest.

”'Course I can't blame 'em really, facing mechanical men as opponents! Well, boy! Will you show those Gijin a thing or two for us? I'm getting so sick of the way things are now.”

”You'll run as a group of four. Whoever reaches the end first, wins.”

Yeah that's kind of how a race works.

”But your opponents are all Gijin, so you'll need a lot of power to win! If you score first place, you'll receive prize money and a trophy!”

Oh dear.

This is bad.

...How badly did we lose?

Ouch! We'll have to work on that. But this isn't the only sport. We should take a look at all the sports we need to do. Hmm. I think we should go to the store. But first, there's two places to check out.

Let's see the farm.

Oh. Huh. Yeah, a day hasn't past yet. Moving on to another place that's opened up, the forest!

Wow! We got all sorts of stuff to work with. We have a rope and a board to walk across...

...and we have a new ball! Nice, let's take it.

We also have stairs we can walk up. Let's see what's on the next screen.

A giant turtle? Hm! Also an extra hoe. Let's take it and check the next screen.

What the hell is that?

AH! Get out of there Oliver!

Oliver doesn't really wanna read the tablet there. He just wants to work out for the sports meet. Which is good, that is what we need to do. However, we need to pick up a few things from the store.

More eavesdropping.

”Hey, do you have any idea what that writing on the tablet near the Great Corlo Tree means?”

Oh hey, we were just looking at that.

”Beats me!”
”...is what they said.”

How unhelpful.

”What are the events in the sports meet again?”
”Foot race, shot put, hole-in-one, and the free kick contest.”
”...is what they said.”

...Hm. Doesn't sound we'll need too much for this. We'll just need to rest after each work out.

”You know, I haven't seen that good-for-nothing treasure hunter bum around lately.”
”He'll probably turn up soon enough.”
”I wonder who they're talking about.”

Good question... well, let's move on.

Oliver, no judging!

”I wonder how Add's doing lately. Add, you're the last of the real adventurers...”
”...is what he said.”

More talk of this treasurer hunter maybe? Or someone else? I wonder if we'll meet him?

”That shop, it's always sold out. And what they do have costs too much. It really sucks.”
”Can't be helped. This island itself is lacking in resources.”
”...is what they're saying.”

Seems like it... Anyway, let's see what we can get.

”Are you planning on participating in the hole-in-one contest?”

Sure are!

”In order to use that well, you need a balanced set of athletic skills. “

We will be needing this.

”It's great for building leg strength.”

Nah, it's cool. We have one already.

I decided to buy more pudding and a cookie. We might need these.

Well that's it for now. We have to get Oliver all worked out and ready for the sport events. Most will just need all the athletic stuff, so there's not too much guessing... BUT that's not all. We can't let Oliver get too stupid. Or he won't know what to do. Hm. How should we go about this...

Before we end this update, I decided to put testing an item at the end instead of the beginning like I originally planned. I'm only going to test one thing this time as well, since it's gunna start getting costly. We'll try to make some money while doing the sport events. As the days go by, we'll have crops growing and we'll win prize money. Cha-ching!

I decided to start with the old unreliable CPU. Let's see what it will do to Oliver.

Eat up, Oliver.

Aw, I'm sorry Oliver. Was it really that awful? Your health went up a little, so it can't be all bad.

Oh wow. It raised all his normal stats and the base stuff went really far down. Uhhh... Yeah, I’m not keeping it this way. Raising those stats are a tad harder. Wow, Our luck is... dreadful. We need money, so no way am I keeping it this way. Good thing I saved earlier before trying this.

I decided to test Oliver out and see what he would do after all his stats got messed up. Now I did look it up and that's really all it does. Just change the stats in that way, which makes it very... well unreliable. However he doesn't act weird or--

WAIT!!

BE KIND TO ANIMALS!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

No eating our friends!

We're not using that thing ever again.

Animated Reviewer fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 12, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh my loving god, that chicken reaction :allears:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Haha, holy smokes is that just from the chip? Sweet jesus.

Can he eat the dog???

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
It's not strictly the chip that does it. One of his many potential actions, chip or not, is to eat something. Like the book you wanted him to read.

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Haha, holy smokes is that just from the chip? Sweet jesus.

Can he eat the dog???

Nah, though the dog fights back, so I donno if it would let him try anyway.

Oliver only tries to eat the chicken and the items you have him use. Also it had more to do with stat changes that triggered it. I don't know if it was due to his stats being more random or a strange change in his base stats, but for the past few acts I could not get him to do this until now. So I'm assuming it has more to do with all his stats being wildly different from each other that let's this action finally happen, OR a core base stat made him think it was okay to eat our animal friend. And now you know what the 2nd useful action the hammer has.

I'm planning an update either sometime this week or the weekend.

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!

Let's get started. We can gain a bit of balance, though that will more likely be helpful later on.

Well, Oliver's balance sucks.

Also it lowers Oliver's reasoning. But having higher diligence is a good thing.

Yup, now I need you to kick it.

Good! Now kick it.

Nice! This also lowers his reasoning, but we can afford to lose a bit. We need a lot of leg power.

I'm sure we need more than leg strength. It can't be that easy.

We can also use the stairs to work out. We don't lose reason for some... uhh. Reason, which doesn't make much sense considering...

...that doesn't seem safe either. Oh well.

After making him do this over and over, he's tired now.

Arm and Leg power is pretty good. Balance is still really awful.

Let's recharge and do more training.

Still nothing. Hrm. Ah well, let's go back to working out! But before that, let's ask 46# if he has anything to tell us.

”Too bad about the foot race. Perhaps your legs aren't strong enough? Practicing with a soccer ball may help, but in order to run fast, you need confidence and determination as well as fast legs.”

Well, we have a lot of that! But I'm not sure we have enough...

”And having high strength may actually help, if you can let it all out in a burst of energy. But the other Gijin are really practicing hard, too, so...”

I think we'll be fine. Let's try again!

Almost...

GAH! :sweatdrop: Well, okay that didn't work. And that was our last shot for the day. We move onto the next part of the contest. Yeah, we only get two shots at the race before we move onto the shot put, which from now on will only be one shot at each contest. Then when we run out, we have to try again the next day. It'll loop like that until we win them all. So we're going to pretend we didn't fail that and go back to training real hard! We were much closer than last time!

Stop trying to eat the ball! Ugh, I've been trying to show off him eating items, trying to get him to do it for the last few acts and the one time I don't want him too, he nearly does. I had a delay reaction because I didn't realize that's what he was doing. I don't want to waste more money to buy another one. I guess his stats are random enough that this is triggered? Or maybe it's something more random than that?

To be fair, every time I gave him the Unreliable Chip, he would try to eat the chicken, so I donno.

This will raise his arm and leg strength. So I guess he didn't have enough to win. Hrm. Okay, let's keep doing this for a while.

Yeah! We're close to trying again.

Okay, day 4, let's try again.

Let's do this!

Go, Oliver! GO!

COME ON!

YES! YAY! We did it!

Oh yeah~

We won!

”Here's your prize, 5000 Corlo and a trophy!! We'll have the trophy delivered to your house!“

”We sure showed those Gijin!!!”

Holy--- Get down Oliver! No, don't encourage that!

So far we cleared one.

"The trophy's arrived, so I had it placed on the bookshelf on the second floor! Keep up the hard work and aim for the title of “sports king”!”

NICE! Let's go see it!

There it is. In all it's...tininess... Ah well! We're aiming for the big time. Also the prize money will help out. Next it the put shot.

I wanted to check our fields first and the crops are growing nicely. Before we go train, let's see how well we can do at the put shot.

”Alright! That's the spirit!”
”I will now explain the shot put! The rules are simple! Throw the ball are far as you can! Currently, the top 3 three records are all held by Gijin, but if you can make a new record, you'll receive prize money and a trophy!”

Let's do this!

Oh wow.

Heh! We did it already! Well that's a relief. Two contests down. But we have a few more to do. And I doubt we'll be able to do it this easily again.

”Here's your prize, 5000 Corlo and a trophy!! We'll have the trophy delivered to the house!“

AH! Not again! Get down, Oliver!

Yeah, she says the same thing, so we'll skip that and head right over to the trophy.

We'll have that shelf filled in no time. Now if we had failed, we could ask #46 for advice.

”The records are held by other powerful Gijin... In order to beat them, you'll need arm strength, confidence and a lot of luck.”

Nice. Guess we had enough of everything. Next update, we'll try to finish up the contests and try and new item with all the money we're making! There's not much else to figure out, all of this is mostly working out. We need to raise our balance next for the hole-in-one and then we have... uhhh... well the next one is a bit more random? You'll see what I mean next update.

Also maybe the crops will be done?

Also we can do this now!

Animated Reviewer fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 7, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Holy poo poo referee man :stare:

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Just needs a bird or convenient satellite to fall out of the sky to clinch the joke.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Really looking forward to when they discover he's actually a robot. The longer it takes, the greater the impact, I suspect... :allears:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

Really looking forward to when they discover he's actually a robot. The longer it takes, the greater the impact, I suspect... :allears:
Same. It gonn be rad as heck.

And I don't know why I never done seen a submachine gun used for refereering before but it's great.

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!
Sorry for the delay on this, been real busy with life. Mainly just posting to keep the thread from closing. Will try this weekend to update.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

Your LP has been a delightful mix of informative, thorough and well portrayed. If the quality persists I'm willing to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!
Sorry for the long delay, got busy and the first thing that's put on the back burner is the LP. I'm hoping to get back to this and start updating it every other week. Here's hoping.

Next up is to get our balance up. There's two good ways to do this. First is to use the log here. The second way is to use the gold club we bought earlier.

Now we just do this, for...like... a while.

There we are~ Well almost, I spend another day on this before we head off to racetrack. But we got really good at balancing.

Oh and also, let's first check on the crops.

Nice! We're really close now. Soon we can sell these.

We got this~

Yes we are!

”Alright! That's the spirit!”
”I will now explain the hole-in-one contest! The rules are simple! All you have to do is hit the ball into the hole with the golf club! If you get it in, you'll receive prize money and a trophy!”

Easy. Show them how it's done Oliver.

:aaa:

WHAT DID WE DO WRONG!?

”Getting a hole-in-one is very difficult! If the ball goes too far, or not far enough, it won't go in... You probably want to have strength at around 80%. And I imagine you’ll need a good bit of luck as well.”

...Okay, we're too strong. Got it. Going to have to lower the arm strength a bit. Easy way to do that is to read. I think our luck is still fine, being around the 50s. So let's... go home and get smart.

...After we buy this.

Right, the athletic workout made ya dumb. Let's fix this by starting at the beginning, reading the grammar book.

We're that bad off? Well, this will take a while...

After reading and reading and reading, we got Oliver's smarts back up and lowered his arm strength to 80.

Repeating this...

YES! Got this.

”Here's your prize, 5000 Corlo and a trophy!! We'll have the trophy delivered to your house! *sigh* ...I'm so happy...we've really put those Gijin in their place!”

Keep your head away from the bullets, Oliver!

Less Talk, More Trophy!

Nice. We're close to becoming King of Sports! One more event.

Oh yeah, I noticed something. We can check this now. Before the game wouldn't even say what it was. So this must be what's powering the house? Neato.

Well if you don't know what it is, don't touch it.

Let's get some rest. Then we'll go straight to the contest and see if we can pass it on our first try.

Oh, this is different.

”You've made it to the top, the new sports king! You stand as our representative, representing the strength and courage of humans!! We're counting on you! Ahhh... I'm so excited!!”

”Ah...um...actually, I'm really a...”
”Eh? Did you say something, human boy?”
”Ah...um...never mind!”
”(...I think I'd better keep quiet about that.)”

”I will now explain the free kick contest! The rules are simple! Kick the ball past the goalkeeper into the goal! You'll have five chances. Get it in three times and you win! If you win, you'll receive prize money and a trophy!”

This can be a bit random. I mean, if we have our skill up high enough it normally works, but still, sometimes...

Gaaaaaah. You can do it Oliver!

YAY!

NO!

I'm getting emotional whiplash here!

One more, just one more...

GOOOOOOOOOAAAALLLL!

Oliver did it! He won! King of Sports! King of Sports!

”Alright!”
”Here's your prize, 5000 Corlo and a trophy!! We'll have the trophy delivered to your house! *Sigh* ...I'm so happy...we've really put those Gijin in their place!”

Hmm, I think I'm becoming numb to the machine gun now.

"new champion, the sports king!”

Oh yeah! I'm so proud of you, Oliver.

"Of course, I'm very excited and happy for him, but...I'm a little worried about a few things...”

...Is it what I think it is?

"First, he hurt the Gijins' pride, and second, he never admitted to the referee that he was really Gijin himself...”

Well, hurting the Gijin's pride only bothers me because Oliver IS a Gijin. Otherwise, if a human had beaten them, they'd have to get over it...but, well, yeaaaah. This is probably not helping in making Gijin and Humans understand each other.

"...Oh, well!”

Guess it's not a problem?

”*ahem* the HUMAN winner of these contests: Oliver! Now, here is our HUMAN prime minister, Messala, to award Oliver the title of sports king!”

Does that ever run out of ammo?

Oooh... this guy.

"This human boy has broken the greatest Gijin records! This is a true miracle! God himself has granted us this great miracle, proving the superiority of humans over Gijin!”

Oh geez...

"Now, on behalf of our great king, I bestow upon this boy the title of “sports king”! All hail Oliver!!”

*Crowd cheers!*

"Congratulations, Oliver!!”

"Let's have another round of applause for this boy who has proven the superiority of humans!”

*Crowd cheers!*

"The “Love of Sports” heart circuit has been activated!”

We sure did. I'm so happy for Oliver!

"The trophy's arrived, and I had it placed on the bookshelf upstairs. By the way, we never did ell everyone that Oliver is really a Gijin. I wonder if that's okay?”

I donno... on the one hand, we can't help people understand Gijin if we hide that Oliver is one. But on the other hand, I worry about what people will think of him if they knew. There isn't much I could do to help Oliver if he were in trouble. Really a dilemma... Well, let's look at our trophy!

Nice! Oh, there's a space left for something else... Well, no matter! You earned those, Oliver. Now if we had failed that, here's what 46 would tell us...

”How's your leg strength? Of course, you'll need more than just that. Make sure you're smart as well, and the rest is up to luck!”

And... Well, maybe it would be best to let at least the referee know the truth... Yeah, come on Oliver.

”I'm so relieved to see someone finally show up those Gijin!”

Maybe this was a bad idea.

”...Is something wrong?”
”I'm sorry... I'm not human...”
”Eh?”
”I didn't mean to fool everyone...I just never seemed to get a chance to say it... I'm a Gijin... Here's the proof...”

Yeah, bad idea. Sorry, Oliver!

No, don't try again!

Oh dear. That could have gone better... But it also could have gone worse. He did have a machine gun... Wait, the act didn't end... is there something else we're suppose to do? What could possibly...

Oh. Right. Guess we should go buy one at the store?

Next time, we'll deal with this and hopefully I'll actually show off another item. I'm thinking the TV.

• Locked thread