Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

The human mind is fragile and doesn't always work the way we'd like. You're a Restorer at The Ether Institute, and your job is to heal Jean's mind by entering representations of her memories. You're to explore and her understand her past, confront and solve her troubles, and restore what has come apart.

Game Stuff

It's a first-person exploration puzzler/point and click from White Paper Games!
Ether One is only a couple months old, I got it on PS+ last month and really loved it. It's also available for PC.

Sorry friends, this isn't a comedy LP. I'll mostly be commenting quietly, very little overall. There are a couple mechanics I'll explain, and I'll explain puzzle solutions. Mostly I want the game to just speak for itself though. It doesn't need me. I just want to share it, hopefully that way it will find its way to more people who will like it! (In summary: videos will be slowly paced and chill.)

Obviously I encourage anyone who enjoys these videos, and this type of game, to buy it for themselves and support the developers. I got it free on PS+ but I bought it fullprice on PC so I could do this!

quote:

This thread is a ZERO TOLERANCE SPOILER POLICY ZONE

The fragmented and interwoven story is what makes this game really excellent! Don't give anything away! If I catch you spoiling, I'm asking Geop to probate you. He said that he would.

But this thread is also a I REALLY HOPE YOU DISCUSS STUFF ZONE

If needed I can provide questions you could respond to, but it would be awesome if you found things in the videos you just felt like talking about! There's so much!

The end!

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I played it on PS+ too but abandoned it after a lot of bugs removing inventory items, several crashes, and the equivalent of a BSoD that you can't get past without restarting entirely. I'm amazed you got past all that! Or did you just try it on PS4 then get the PC version? I hear that one works fine.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm pretty sure I half-solved a dozen puzzles in this game, and only solved one non-mandatory one. It's kind of a shame that I was able to just push through like that, because what I did get solved was pretty good. I might have to go in again some time and have more patience in building up my mental map and solving some more puzzles.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Red Minjo posted:

I'm pretty sure I half-solved a dozen puzzles in this game, and only solved one non-mandatory one. It's kind of a shame that I was able to just push through like that, because what I did get solved was pretty good. I might have to go in again some time and have more patience in building up my mental map and solving some more puzzles.
That's the good thing though; you can play through the entire game without really solving any puzzles (at least none that require a lot of brain power). I like that if the game ever got too easy, then they could still progress and enjoy the baseline story. But if they wanted to know the real, full story then they'd have to actually figure out the harder puzzles. It's a nice option for those that want an easy trip through a lovely game.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I feel you're not taking sign-in protocols as seriously as you should, Smunks. It's not the 65th of June, and it is not TIME FOR CAT.

It seems like a lovely and understated game so far, and I can't wait to get to know our patient better.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh gently caress I wanted to LP this someday. Sadly I can't figure out how to record this game without it stuttering all over the place, so I shelved the idea.

I basically 100%ed this game and it was fantastic.

Guys, if any of you are on the fence, get this game on Steam. I'm serious, grab it. It is brilliant.

EDIT: Just noticed your choice of thread tag :golfclap:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 4, 2015

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh thanks for doing this one. I started playing this and found the concept intriguing, but got lost in a mire of half finished puzzles and kind of lost my way. And then Witcher 3 came out. I kept meaning to come back to this, but I doubt I ever would have.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I played it on PS+ too but abandoned it after a lot of bugs removing inventory items, several crashes, and the equivalent of a BSoD that you can't get past without restarting entirely. I'm amazed you got past all that! Or did you just try it on PS4 then get the PC version? I hear that one works fine.

There was a patch! I think I was lucky to not pick it up til the last day or two. I did still hit two loadscreen freezes but I never trust auto saves if I don't have to, so I had a manual save I could step back to. Ps4 version also had some problems with subtitle pacing.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Oh thanks for doing this one. I started playing this and found the concept intriguing, but got lost in a mire of half finished puzzles and kind of lost my way.

That's so appropriate!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

skoolmunkee posted:

There was a patch! I think I was lucky to not pick it up til the last day or two. I did still hit two loadscreen freezes but I never trust auto saves if I don't have to, so I had a manual save I could step back to. Ps4 version also had some problems with subtitle pacing.

Well that's good! I was interested in it at first but all that just wore me down and I gave up on it. It's nice that the devs whipped it into shape.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Fair warning though: you know that safe wheel munkee picked up? Until you know the right code, keep those in your Case shelves. I've had to go back to a previous save because I slotted one into a safe, went looking for the combination and when I came back, I couldn't interact with it.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I tried to play this game. Got to like, the second large area and couldn't solve a single puzzle. Oh well, looking forward to seeing how dumb I actually am.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
gently caress yeah I love the art direction of this game to pieces, it's so drat good. I may have just impulse purchases it on Steam after watching this episode maaaaybe.
I think your approach for this lp is very appropriate, good choice!
Ps: I would totally live in the Case, it feels really cozy to me. But I am a bit of a odd duck so go figure.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dreadwroth posted:

Ps: I would totally live in the Case, it feels really cozy to me. But I am a bit of a odd duck so go figure.

No I'm with you. You become really attached to it after a while, especially given how handy it is.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
/\/\I'm looking forward to that when I can actually play it, after I get my shiny new laptop.
In all seriousness, I'm glad you decided to LP this Skool, you seem to know what yer doin.

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

Is there an explanation as to why the developers decided to go with graphics that look like they time-warped in straight from 1999? One moment, I think they're really kind of charming and the next the period correct blurry textures put me off quite a bit.

Still, this game looks super intriguing and I'll definitely be following this with interest.

I too think "The Case" looks kind of comfy, by the way, but I'm pretty sure that without a shower curtain, that "bathroom" is bound to turn into a bit of a mess real soon.

fixelbrumpf fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 4, 2015

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Now that I think about it a bit more, it's kind of troubling that we're trusting this place whose idea of an office prank is switching a fuse with their breathable liquid chamber. Which is what that has to be, because we never put on a mask or got hooked up to an oxygen supply, right?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Skippy Granola posted:

I feel you're not taking sign-in protocols as seriously as you should, Smunks. It's not the 65th of June, and it is not TIME FOR CAT.

It seems like a lovely and understated game so far, and I can't wait to get to know our patient better.

It is always time for cat, Skippy.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Something about this game reminds me a bit of Master Reboot. Guess just because of the similar concepts.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Red Minjo posted:

Now that I think about it a bit more, it's kind of troubling that we're trusting this place whose idea of an office prank is switching a fuse with their breathable liquid chamber. Which is what that has to be, because we never put on a mask or got hooked up to an oxygen supply, right?

Not to mention they send you in to help with a ~medical~ procedure with zero leading information other than dementia, and when you're inserted, your voice on the outside offers 'Now, if you'll give me a second I'll have some more details for you. Feel free to explore in the meantime.'

'Go dick around in the client's subconscious this totally couldn't have an untoward effect, new and untested person.'

I mean Jesus Christ, Ether. Skoo signing in with 65th of June and CAT seems to be on par for their stringent guidelines.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Hotwire posted:

Not to mention they send you in to help with a ~medical~ procedure with zero leading information other than dementia, and when you're inserted, your voice on the outside offers 'Now, if you'll give me a second I'll have some more details for you. Feel free to explore in the meantime.'

'Go dick around in the client's subconscious this totally couldn't have an untoward effect, new and untested person.'

I mean Jesus Christ, Ether. Skoo signing in with 65th of June and CAT seems to be on par for their stringent guidelines.

Then there's the moment where the patient with dementia is required to replace a fuse...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Gantolandon posted:

Then there's the moment where the patient with dementia is required to replace a fuse...

We're not the patient with dementia. We're the Restorer. A person with psychic powers who goes into people's minds. We are inside Jane's mind at the moment.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

fixelbrumpf posted:

Is there an explanation as to why the developers decided to go with graphics that look like they time-warped in straight from 1999? One moment, I think they're really kind of charming and the next the period correct blurry textures put me off quite a bit.

Still, this game looks super intriguing and I'll definitely be following this with interest.

I too think "The Case" looks kind of comfy, by the way, but I'm pretty sure that without a shower curtain, that "bathroom" is bound to turn into a bit of a mess real soon.

If I was playing & recording the game at 1080p, the game would be using its better textures. I tried recording at full resolution but I was having some issues, I think my computer can't handle running the game that high because I was getting some stuttering after 10 minutes or so.

Regarding the bathroom- it's a wet room! Usually they are tiled. They're meant to be easier and more usable than an enclosed shower. Imagine how much easier it would be to give your dog a bath if the whole bathroom was the shower!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Aaaaanywho,

It's interesting seeing the differences between the PS4 and the PC versions. They're all really minor things so far, but I can't figure out why they're different at all. For example, in the PS4 version you can pick up and take the loose gas masks. On PC you can't take the masks but you can take the kettle. The picnic items were slightly different between the two. On PS4 in the institute, there is an extra line from Phyllis when you find the 'employee fatalities' note about how they're warned to stay on the path but of course they bloody well don't- nothing like that in PC. Also on PS4 the projector in the office points in a different direction. Different posters/pictures on the walls here and there. I wonder if a puzzle solution might be different at some point?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Mark me as another person this LP made play the game (got it free on PS+ so not a sale, for better or worse.) Not far in it enough to talk much about it though. Currently finding it quite creepy.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

skoolmunkee posted:

Aaaaanywho,

It's interesting seeing the differences between the PS4 and the PC versions. They're all really minor things so far, but I can't figure out why they're different at all. For example, in the PS4 version you can pick up and take the loose gas masks. On PC you can't take the masks but you can take the kettle. The picnic items were slightly different between the two. On PS4 in the institute, there is an extra line from Phyllis when you find the 'employee fatalities' note about how they're warned to stay on the path but of course they bloody well don't- nothing like that in PC. Also on PS4 the projector in the office points in a different direction. Different posters/pictures on the walls here and there. I wonder if a puzzle solution might be different at some point?

Holy poo poo. That was amazing.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah this opening was fantastic. It's always sad to hear how the old ways are becoming obsolete. Both the mine and the cider were clearly an important part of Pinwheel.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it so far! I'm reluctant to say much about my thoughts on the game, because I don't want to have an effect on your experience. Y'all will need to fill the conversational gap. There's a lot of stuff emerging in this update!

The one major effect I'll probably be unable to avoid is that I'll be able to solve projectors straightaway- the normal experience is to bumble around the whole area discovering things randomly, trying various things and making mistakes, going back to check references, and being able to solve bits and pieces of puzzles asynchronously in kind of a jumble. It's suitable for the 'dementia' theme, but I think it would drag the videos down.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That the pub note talked about Fletcher. Now where have we seen the name Fletcher before?

skoolmunkee posted:

I'm reluctant to say much about my thoughts on the game, because I don't want to have an effect on your experience.

Same for me. :(

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This premise seems pretty similar to To the Moon (and even the terrain around the lighthouse bears a faint resemblance to it.) Although this does seem to have a bit more depth in its gameplay; I'm not sure yet if I really like it, but I kind of felt that way about To the Moon as well; in the end I wanted to like it more than I did.

That wire fix seemed like the sort of thing you'd do if you're crazy: apparently splicing the wires on either end but also having a random plug in the middle.

Did the O in TAYLOR go away because of a random button push, or is that a glitch of the memory?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
This game feels a bit strange overall, not sure if I really "get" what's going on for most of this, but I'm glad you're doing this LP. It's interesting.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Kangra posted:

This premise seems pretty similar to To the Moon (and even the terrain around the lighthouse bears a faint resemblance to it.) Although this does seem to have a bit more depth in its gameplay; I'm not sure yet if I really like it, but I kind of felt that way about To the Moon as well; in the end I wanted to like it more than I did.

That wire fix seemed like the sort of thing you'd do if you're crazy: apparently splicing the wires on either end but also having a random plug in the middle.

Did the O in TAYLOR go away because of a random button push, or is that a glitch of the memory?

Random button push, typing mode is really clunky and I backspaced instead of cancelling out.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Zain posted:

This game feels a bit strange overall, not sure if I really "get" what's going on for most of this, but I'm glad you're doing this LP. It's interesting.

We're basically going through a digital reconstruction of Jane's hometown. We're trying to do this to piece together her "core" memories, which are supposed to be important points in her life. IIRC Phyllis mentions that she will use these core memories as a jumping off point toward further memory restoration. That's one of the reasons we need to find Jane's Artefact.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'm glad you're doing this LP. This is where the game ended for me; I probably would've eventually figured out that (spoilers for the episode up the page) you put the handle on the hinge, but I don't think I would have ever figured out that you can type into that spot, or that you could open that glass case - I probably would've looked for a hammer.

I do like that it seems like your character is bobbling with anger whenever they go back to the case for a puzzle piece.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
My only exposure to this was from some early prerelease article on RPS, but in between the suspect stuff going on here and there, and the way part 2 ended, I'm half-expecting the Sentionauts to be activated at some point.

Also, from having to deal with some dementia within the family, I wonder if we will encounter (or have already, even) any entirely constructed memories.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh my god, I didn't get the period right when I tried to solve this part. Are you kidding me, game?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I hate it when games don't just create a second menu for input when using a controller. Even the old JRPG name screen is much better than going up and down by one letter.

The game does look neat though, I can't wait to see where it goes.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

Oh my god, I didn't get the period right when I tried to solve this part. Are you kidding me, game?

As this video will show, game just gettin started

That is a real quote from A.G. Bell, btw

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I got stuck on the door puzzle way longer than I care to admit. I don't even know why, it's such an obvious hint.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I think I solved the door puzzle without knowing it was a puzzle; just shut the door because I wasn't born in a barn.

But yeah, that buoy puzzle confounded me because I didn't catch the other window thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Door puzzle was the first of the "so obvious I missed it" puzzles.

OK here's a new update! Enjoy

• Locked thread