Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Those love letters are heart breaking :(
Poor Jane :smith:

Also you see that dumb red door in the wall? The one that's grate-like? I kept thinking there was a way to get in there and I somehow managed to shimmy half-way in before getting stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This is doing a nice job of showing her character both old and young.

Although it only takes one false step to feel wrong, and "please RSVP' is too modern a usage for 1966. It brought me out of the mood they'd established for a bit.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Phyllis is starting to sound less than nice...

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Kangra posted:

This is doing a nice job of showing her character both old and young.

Although it only takes one false step to feel wrong, and "please RSVP' is too modern a usage for 1966. It brought me out of the mood they'd established for a bit.

Really? I didn't question it. How old is rsvp and what would people have said before then?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Thesaya posted:

Phyllis is starting to sound less than nice...

Yeah, between that and the glowy way back when that told us maybe we shouldn't be doing this, I get the feeling that... I dunno, maybe her new funding sources have alternate applications.

skoolmunkee posted:

Really? I didn't question it. How old is rsvp and what would people have said before then?

Noted by Emily Post in the 1920s, so... Yeah, it would have been around in the 60s. Especially with the resurgence in french fashion around the time (It was adopted in Britain along with a bunch of other french etiquette around C18th)

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
The writing has done a very good job of instilling a sense of unease about, and distrust of, the good Dr. Edmonds.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Just caught up.

Man, Ether One.

I got a soft spot for Mind-scapes and this game beat me. It's not that the main puzzles are very hard, but I refused to continue past the village until I worked out the projector puzzles.

Maybe I'll pick the game back up.

Thanks for LP'ing this, Skoolmunkee!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

JamieTheD posted:

Noted by Emily Post in the 1920s, so... Yeah, it would have been around in the 60s. Especially with the resurgence in french fashion around the time (It was adopted in Britain along with a bunch of other french etiquette around C18th)

The problem is not 'RSVP', but 'RSVP please'. The latter is fairly common now, maybe even the most common, but would have been considered unnecessarily redundant in times past (since the SVP already means 'please' in French). R.S.V.P. has indeed been around for over a century.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 4, 2015

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

AltaBrown posted:

The writing has done a very good job of instilling a sense of unease about, and distrust of, the good Dr. Edmonds.

Nonsense, we should have confidence in her take-charge attitude! We dont' want to be an 'incompetent individual' do we?

I'm glad some people are enjoying this! It's kind of a niche game, but I just really like so much of it and want to share.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Huh. I can't believe I missed a skoolmunkee LP this long.

Looks intriguing so far. If I had to venture a guess, the fact that the crystal we "killed" and the crystal at the start of the game look similar is an important clue somehow.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

my dad posted:

Looks intriguing so far. If I had to venture a guess, the fact that the crystal we "killed" and the crystal at the start of the game look similar is an important clue somehow.

Yeah, and note that the story of the knocker talks about a glowing rock.

They actually go more in-depth with the substance in the supplementary materials for the PC version. I think monkee will talk about that later though.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah, and note that the story of the knocker talks about a glowing rock.

They actually go more in-depth with the substance in the supplementary materials for the PC version. I think monkee will talk about that later though.

Nope I am going to avoid doing any kind of story analysis myself!

Tho talking about what is in the supplementary materials at this point would probs be spoilers

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Hi friends! The industrial area map is a little complicated, but you guy's don't have to worry about that. Again, normally you'd wander all over the place and then try and solve projectors as and when you can. I'm just makin this look easy!

Lots of info about the mine, its workers, the culture in the industry, and That Incident in this area though...

Yikes, Phyllis!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Also not sure if you guys might be interested in playing this yourself, but it's on sale today over at the Humble Store for like 75% off (which is an amazing deal for such a great and mind bending game): https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/etherone_deluxe_storefront

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Oh neat! Thanks for the info, I tweeted it on. :]

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hm... So, the PC probably isn't the first Restorer to enter that mind. And the previous Restorers most likely failed in their tasks. It would explain the implied accident coverup in the first video. Whatever the crystal in the 2nd video was, I don't think it's a natural part of Jean's mind, or even the illness. "It's trying to stay attached to the mind" implies something that can think and act. There's obviously something fishy going on here, but I can't quite figure out what yet. Phyliss seems kinda crazy, and I wouldn't be surprised if she's lying a lot, so I don't want to base too many assumptions on the things she's saying.

Theory 1:
The crystal we destroyed represents the mind of a previous restorer who had an accident of some sort inside Jean's mind. If that's the case, Phyliss saying stuff about "a stupid little rat ruining everything" from the second video makes more sense.
Theory 2:
Phyliss is trying to hide something. It is requires killing parts of Jean's mind, while at the same time showing the success of the experiment to ensure further funding.

By the way, I really like the sparse commentary. It doesn't ruin the atmosphere of the game, but still conveys useful stuff.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Mark mine as another purchase spurred by an LP. I can't wait to just wander around looking at everything.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Yeah, pretty sure something isn't on the up and up, even if I can't pin down what it is yet... Either way, definitely gonna see what I can do about buyin' Ether One when spare cashmoneys comes in, it seems pretty darn interesting!

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
For the next 39 hours The Humble Bundle store has ETHER ONE Deluxe and ETHER ONE for 75% off.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'll be honest I still get lost in the Industrial Center. It's such a mazy area. The puzzle are pretty tough too, though there is one that I like a lot.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

I've started playing again and it's weird to be both ahead and behind you at the same time, Skoolmunkey. I figured out NONE of the puzzles in the Industrial zone, except maybe getting into the manager's office.

Something that I've noticed while both playing AND watching the video is that some drawers the restorer opens have buttons in them. They look similar to the buttons used for doors at the beginning of the game.

I suspect (but am not sure) that the patient is patient zero.
OR she (I assume it's a she) just littered her mind with the buttons seen in the facility she's being treated in.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
I realized what the "Don't place sugar in the fridge" reminder note reminded me of, that and the two reminder notes in this video.

I had a friend who's mom was getting a bit "forgetful" (as I was only 7ish at the time it made sense) and kept leaving notes like those around their house. I found out much later that it was early onset alzheimer's.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yup. And worse yet, these notes appear among the memories of her childhood, so she's not doing so good.
Though admittedly it might just be the way Phyllis' simulation parses Jean's mind.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
After that phone call/message early in the latest video, and thinking (probably too much) about the implications, I have a theory about what is going on. But I'm afraid to post it in case I'm right...

I suspect a big plot twist.

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
Not many LPs make me rush to buy the game before finishing the third video. The sparse commentary make the eerie/calming atmosphere that much more apparent, I really appreciate how you go about it.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

azsedcf posted:

I had a friend who's mom was getting a bit "forgetful" (as I was only 7ish at the time it made sense) and kept leaving notes like those around their house. I found out much later that it was early onset alzheimer's.

Yes exactly, that took me a while to cotton onto when I was playing, maybe because I didn't have your experience. It made it a little heartbreaking every time I found another one.

I'm really pleased people are enjoying the game so far! (And buying to play yourself, which really is the ideal experience.)

There is still a ton of information to uncover, we're not even halfway through the game!

Wait, did he really...?

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 26, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
OK, there's definitely more than one mind in play here. I wonder what we're in for next. :munch:

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I couldn't handle the tension anymore - went and bought the game. Phyllis talking about "Oh check out this really unethical experiment AREN'T BRAINS FASCINATING" pretty much broke me.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Sanguinary Novel posted:

I couldn't handle the tension anymore - went and bought the game. Phyllis talking about "Oh check out this really unethical experiment AREN'T BRAINS FASCINATING" pretty much broke me.

Isn't that basically what she is doing? "You can't leave(/sleep/eat/anything) until you fix this mind."

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I'm not totally sure, but it doesn't feel much time has passed in the outside world. Didn't she say something about having a day left to create proof that the process works? I forget what it was exactly, but it was in the village episode.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Remember to try walking out into the sea in the harbor :)

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
That "Unknown" voice sounded a heck of a lot like Phyllis' voice pitched down.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
Thank you for doing this LP! I'd heard a lot of good stuff about this game, but for some reason it made me super-motion sick when I tried to play. This is a really nice, appropriate way to show it off, and I'm really enjoying getting to finally see it.

The only issue I'm having is that, despite your comments about the importance of remembering who's who in Pinwheel from the various notes, I am having a hell of a time keeping everybody straight. I'm sure this is in part because I'm only experiencing the game in half-hour chunks several days apart, and I know you're trying not to explicitly identify any of the big secrets or themes, but I would actually appreciate a little more hand-holding specifically in terms of the "cast of characters," either in the videos or just in the thread.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Phyllis talking about "Oh check out this really unethical experiment AREN'T BRAINS FASCINATING" pretty much broke me.

I assume you/most people already know this, but in case there's anyone who doesn't: that experiment was only a couple steps more horrifying than the actual, real-world Milgram Experiment.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Alright, lemme give it a shot:

Present (or "the real world")
You - A Restorer in the employ of the Ether Institute of Telepathic Medicine. You have psychic powers and apparently interact with those weird blue rocks to help people recover their memories. You had a falling out with Phyllis/Ether Institute due to some unknown reason,but are no back for an equally unknown reason. You're currently in a sealed VR hologram sphere thing which is underwater.

Phyllis Edmonds - A doctor in the employ of the Ether Institute of Telepathic Medicine. She handles medicine and orders people in the real world while also monitoring your progress in Jean's mind. She seems to be under pressure to complete this Restoration, so she seems to be cutting corners and holding the Restorer captive in the VR sphere.

Jean (not sure if they mentioned her last name) - A 69 year old British schoolteacher. She has been diagnosed with dementia and has come to the EI for treatment. Comes from a small town of Pinwheel. Apparently has a child, if her dialogue is anything to go by.

Jim - Not much is known about him, but it seems that someone he knows is in the EI and he is very worried about them.

UNKNOWN - A man who is presumably a patient in the EI. Jim visits and calls him.

Virtual simulation of Pinwheel (constructed from Jean's memories)
Elaine Gregson - An overworked bar owner who recently took over a pub in Pinwheel. Is frequently harassed by male patrons.

Alexander Graham Bell - An inventor who doesn't seem to be having much luck with his latest invention

Christopher Fletcher - A miner who is banned from the pub. Has a son.

George Thornton - Jean's father. He was a miner in Pinwheel, but died due to an accident in the mine.

Matthew Lewis - A post office worker, a frequent customer of the pub and a womanizer.

Jan and Philip Hemingway - A couple that own the Pinwheel post office.

Sean V. - A miner and a troublemaker. Has been responsible for stealing material from the mine. To that end, the Warden denied his request for time off. In retaliation, Sean poisoned his coffee with arsenic tablets. He later died in the mine accident.

John K. - Sean's friend and confidant. Surivived the mine accident.

The Warden (Rob) - A temperamental mine warden who genuinely cares for his workers, but does not show it. To that end he comes off as a belligerent control freak, when in reality he is simply under pressure. Has a specific mug which he drinks coffee from. Poisoned by Sean V and incapacitated at the time of the accident. Ultimately alive though.
I'll work on this list some more or others can do it as well.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 28, 2015

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I think Jim knows and is related to Jean. Likely a son.

I don't remember seeing anything that leads to that back story for the restorer aside from the in a sphere under-waterliquid.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Good point about it being difficult to keep track of names. I really have no reason not to update more often, so I will pick up the pace.

Thanks for getting started on a name/plot post! I can add that to the OP and if you guys want to update it as you learn more, awesome. :) I'd like to let viewers figure out who is important and who isn't, but I can drop some directions now and then.

I will say that most of the names are Pinwheel family units obviously, and you don't strictly need to keep close track to understand the main elements of the story, so if that isn't your thing, it's fine! The important names will keep coming up, and by the end of the game they spell out the critical plot points in case you hadn't got it already. (Except A. Bell, he was mentioned a lot but in reality he hardly lived in England, and invented all that stuff and probably even died before Jean was born, so what's he even doin in her memories like that?)

But if you DO care to keep an eye on names, you can pick up some interesting information which isn't critical enough for the game to just tell you, but makes things more interesting. For example: We could now argue that Sean V. holds some responsibility for the mine disaster. If someone wants to try and explain how, you'll need the information in the recent video, and a newspaper article from Pinwheel harbor (I think it's the one in the post office)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Major_JF posted:

I don't remember seeing anything that leads to that back story for the restorer aside from the in a sphere under-waterliquid.

I cobbled it together using the back-of-the-box description of a Restorer as well as the introduction in the beginning of the game (stand in front of the giant blue rock in the Ether Institute and a voice will introduce the Institute, the Restorer and their goals).

skoolmunkee posted:

Thanks for getting started on a name/plot post! I can add that to the OP and if you guys want to update it as you learn more, awesome. :) I'd like to let viewers figure out who is important and who isn't, but I can drop some directions now and then.

Yeah I basically just tried to write about them as they came up.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

It might be interesting to keep notes on the sprawling cast as the LP goes on just to see who's important to who.

On a side note, Another way to finish the coffee puzzle is to put the arsenic in one of the arsenic bins around the place. Sean V need not poison his boss.
I poisoned him anyway and got Jean's voice saying "Was that really necessary?"

Hee hee

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I wondered that!

It's fine, I'm not an accessory. This is virtual memory projection, not something crazy like time travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

• Locked thread