Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

LATEST UPDATE: 4 - Dungeons and Houses (Sorcerer's Stone GBC)

Welcome, wizards, witches, Muggles, Squibs, goblins, etc. This is the Harry Potter Megathread.

What is Harry Potter?
Harry Potter is a series of novels about wizards and witches written by British author J.K. Rowling and ran from 1997 to 2007. They all got popular movies and also some video games (most of which were made or published by EA) of varying quality. Honestly, If you don't know anything about Harry Potter I am terribly sorry and I cannot help you.

So what games will you be doing?
I will be doing the first three games in at least one or two incarnations. The first two (Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets) on the Game Boy Color, and the third one (Prisoner of Azkaban) on the Game Boy Advance. All of those are RPGs, a stark contrast to the rest of the games which are sort of action-y with a bit of sandbox adventure here and there. I will attempt to play the first three games on PC as well. Or maybe a few console incarnations? I have not decided. Beyond that is a mystery. I have also read all the books and seen all the movies so get ready to see me be borderline insufferable. If I can remember everything, anyway. (Spoilers: I probably won't, but I have Wikia for that. God bless the Internet)

Spoiler Policy?
Oh jeez. This is a tough one. If for some strange reason you have read some but NOT ALL Harry Potter books, consider this thread a :siren:Harry Potter Spoiler Hotzone:siren:. Some people may use spoiler tags. Some people may not. Anything concrete would be hard to enforce and/or this thread would look like a classified document. I do ask, however, that you don't spoil anything specific to the games.

I would also like to take this opportunity to highlight Variant_Eris's ongoing LP of the GBC Chamber of Secrets game, which is probably more comedic than anything I will probably produce in this thread. I encourage you to check it out if you wish.

Anyway, without further ado...

HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE (Game Boy Color)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (or Philospher's Stone in places outside the United States) is the first book in the series, released in the UK in 1997. It got a movie, and a video game on seven different platforms. This is the Game Boy Color one. It is an RPG. I enjoyed it thoroughly as a kid. It's not terrible but it's not super fantastic either. Its spell system would confound RPG players. It is fairly easy, especially if you grind. But I love it all the same.

Table of Contents
1 - Of Mice And Wands
2 - The Boy Who Shopped
3 - Trains and Boats and Tentacles
4 - Dungeons and Houses

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Magically reserved.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Chapter 1 - Of Mice And Wands

These are the ones responsible for the game I played the most out of any Game Boy game that wasn't a Pokemon game. Yes, you read that sentence correctly.

Music - Main Theme (this game's music was composed by Jeremy Soule)

Not only did I play it, I beat it multiple times. I have no idea what compelled me to do this other than being a bored child, and also probably playing it a lot on car trips and vacations.

Anyway, let's start the magic show. Abracadabra.

Aaaaaaaaand the game just cut out literally four chapters of content and replaced it with this solitary screen. Sure, no real gameplay could have come from those chapters (unless this was a David Cage game (you are now imagining a Harry Potter David Cage game)) but they could have replaced it with a series of images and narration like many of the other versions of the games did.

Here's your recap in case you want one: Harry Potter's parents were killed by Voldemort (read: very evil wizard) when he was a baby, Harry survived, lived with his lovely uncle, lovely aunt, and lovely cousin, then one day is told he is a wizard and is whisked away by a (half-)giant named Hagrid so he can attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Got it? Good.

Music - Diagon Alley / Great Hall

Oh and uh we're here! That was fast. Welcome to Diagon Alley, shopping center of the Wizarding World. Also hahaha get it "diagonally". Also that's Hagrid.

That's because there is none like it. This is Ollivander's Wand Shop, as yeh can see by the sign. I'll go in and see to yeh getting a wand. Yeh can explore a bit if yeh like 'fore you join me inside.

You might notice the writing in this game flip-flops between capturing the voice of characters fairly well and being completely loving stilted. This will continue. Trust me.

Anyway, we can explore if we want but we can also do that in a bit. Let's go inside and get a magic wand so we can be a goddamn wizard.

Music - Shopping / Interior

Come find me later at Gringotts bank.

Abraca-nope.

Obviously not the right one for you. Maybe you'll have better luck with this wand.

Presto-failure.

Still not working? You must need a very special wand.. Hmm...I have an idea.
Try this one. It's made of holly with a phoenix feather core.

That's what I'm talking about.

We've found just the wand for you, Harry Potter. It is equipped with the spells Flipendo and Vermillious Uno, which will protect you in magic encounters.

Avid readers are probably currently going "Flip-what-o and Ver-who-now"? Yes, the RPG spells they invented for these games are, for the most part, completely made up. That being said, Flipendo actually does show up in a few of the later books...maybe. Not by name as far as I can tell. We'll talk about these spells a bit later.

I can't pay for it, though.
Hagrid has arranged for 119 Sickles to be charged to your account at Gringotts.

In the books, it was seven Galleons, which is...uh...119 sickles. I'll be damned. I'd explain the wizardry money but the game only uses Sickles. Hell, I'll do it anyway because screw you, you know what you're getting into with this LP: 29 Knuts in a Sickle, 17 Sickles to a Galleon. According to J.K. Rowling, a Galleon is about "five Great British pounds", or about $7.66 at the time of this post. That's about $54 for a wand. I'm not sure whether that's a lovely deal or an amazing deal.

Thank you for stopping by. I'm sure you'll put your wand to good use.

Thank you.
Oh no, Harry Potter, thank you.

You already said that.

Music - Fanfare

Now yer a wizard, Harry.

Anyway, let's just leave the nice little shop a-

Who the gently caress are you.

Well...
You are, aren't you? And if you're here it means you're finally going to Hogwarts!

No seriously, who are you?!?!?!?

Does everyone know everything about me?
This is going to be great! Harry Potter, at Hogwarts! Is there anything I can do for you? Do you need any Famous Witches and Wizards Cards?
I don't know...what are they?
Oh, they're the best! They're cards you collect and trade. And you can make card combinations that create magic!
Sounds better than playing solitaire. I used to do that a lot.
I have a lot of spare cards. I'd be honored to give you some of them. There are four different decks you can collect. Here, pick the one you want to start with.

I was originally going to leave this up to a vote but it feels pointlessly silly to me, so let's go with Gregory the Smarmy, who was actually mentioned in the fifth book.....sort of. There's a corridor with a statue of him or something. A lot of the wizard cards were just made up for the games but actually show up in multiple games that have the cards.

This deck looks interesting.
There are two more things you'll need. One's a Folio Magi, where you store your card collection.

You got a ~magical binder~!

The other thing you'll need is a Folio Triplicus. You store your card combinations in it. I'll even throw in a couple of combinations for free!

You got...another ~magical binder~!

You receive: Card Combination
You receive: Card Combination
You have found a Famous Witches and Wizards Card!

Fun fact: this game plays a little musical sting for every "You got a thing" message box. Every single one, and there's a different one for almost every type of scenario. When they play one right after another like this it's quite amusing, especially since a few of them sound very dramatic.

Thank you, this is very generous.
I was glad to do it. Boy, wait until I tell the guys I helped Harry Potter!
To view your Folio Magi and Folio Triplicus, press Start to bring up the Main Menu and then select Folio Magi or Folio Triplicus.

And the mysterious nameless non-canon boy walks away, never to be seen again. We can only hope, anyway.

Anyway, let's see what's in our Folio Magi. While we're here in the menu, we can also see our next objective.

Wow, that's...a lot of cards. 101, to be exact.

None of these are in the books. Shocker. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking down on the games for doing this, I'm not doing that at all. It's nice to get random flavor characters. I am however, looking down on them for introducing Rando Animeface Boy to give us the cards. Seriously what the poo poo

We can only cast one card combination right now, and we can only do this in battle. Conjure Snack is......underwhelming, to say the least.

Oh right, this is an RPG! Wow look at how poor we are. We'll be fixing that soon enough, however. The stats are...exactly as you'd expect. Check out our Magic Strength. We're a wizard, alright.

Anyway, since we still can't buy anything here, let's go see Hagrid at Gringrotts and say what's that blue magical fuzzy thing over there.

You are about to enter a Magical Encounter and have several options: Spell lets you cast a spell; Item allows you to use an item; Card lets you create a card effect with Famous Witches and Wizards Cards, and Flee lets you attempt to escape from the encounter. Your Stamina and Magic Points are shown in the display to the right.

Music - Battle

Oh, joy. The very first enemy we encounter in an RPG and it's a bunch of rats. Go loving figure.

Since we only have spells, you're probably wondering about running out of Magic Points. Well, there's your answer. Flipendo Uno costs nothing and is basically a physical attack. Maybe. I'm gonna let you in a little secret: the magical system in this game is INCREDIBLY obtuse, at least with regards to telling the player things. About the only thing you can count on is Uno, Duo, and Trio are increasing in spell power, just like the -aras and -agas of Final Fantasy.

You just have to try stuff and see what works.

Vermillious Uno is probably a fire attack, and it sends these rats running for the hills. Also the rats hit for like 2 damage. They are not threatening in the slightest.

Harry Potter, slayer of rats.

We could grind rats for an eternity, but let's just go in the bank.

There's something written on the door...
Enter stranger, but take heed
Of what awaits the sin of greed
For those who take but do not earn
May pay dearly in their turn.

You forgot the second half, buddy.

quote:

So if you seek beneath our floors
A treasure that was never yours,
Thief, you have been warned, beware
Of finding more than treasure there.

If you ever get lost, Press Select to bring up a message about your current location.

You are in Gringotts, the Wizard Bank.

Good to know. Also programming inconsistency! The game doesn't check which portrait to use so it uses Harry in his school uniform.

I feel like none of these goblins want to talk to me. :saddowns:

Good morning, Mr. Potter. My name is Griphook.
We'd like ter see Harry's vault, now.
Have you his key, sir?
Here 'tis. And there's the matter of the you-know-what we talked about before.
All seems to be in order. Follow me.

Music - Gringotts Caverns

Come on, Harry.

Sure thing.

Hagrid! Wait for me!

Or...uh...not.

Welcome to...I hesitate to say "the first dungeon", but that's what it is: Gringotts Caverns. Join us next time for more rats. Yes, seriously. More rats.

Also, you might be wondering "Didn't Harry get his wand after going to Gringotts?" The answer is yes, but then we wouldn't have this dungeon. Duh.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 4, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Holy hell, I had no idea Jeremy Soule did the music for this game :allears:

I have faint but fond memories of this game. Looking forward to the LP so I can see how wrong I am! :v:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Wasn't one of the later Harry Potter games Gears of War But With Wands?

Anyway, I miss the era of licensed RPGs. It feels like they had way more potential to be funny when things went off the rails.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
They really just can't get enough of that Flipendo in all the Harry Potter games.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Harry Potter consumed a large amount of my childhood and I loved playing the games. Never played this one, but I played the poo poo out of the PS1 and GBA games.

Where did they use Flipendo? That was always the spell the games fell back on for some odd reason (did WB mandate it or something?) but I don't remember it ever actually being in the books, unless you're implying it was Stupefy.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i played this game its fun

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I would like to point out that Roderick Plumpton does appear in one of the side books: Quidditch Through The Ages, which was released several months before this game.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Momomo posted:

Harry Potter consumed a large amount of my childhood and I loved playing the games. Never played this one, but I played the poo poo out of the PS1 and GBA games.

Where did they use Flipendo? That was always the spell the games fell back on for some odd reason (did WB mandate it or something?) but I don't remember it ever actually being in the books, unless you're implying it was Stupefy.

I dunno, the Harry Potter wikia says it appeared in Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows and I looked and couldn't find it. Probably horseshit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I love this game but really once you get the curse of the bogies and Pertrificus Totalus that's the game right there. Also you never get any party members for Harry which is sad. Also these games adapt more book than they do movie which I like.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Some of the card combinations are really strong too but thats balanced out by the fact that some are actively harmful and theres no way to tell which is which

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
God I played the absolute hell out of this game as a kid, same as you did; this was actually the first RPG-type game I ever played. (This may explain my lasting fondness for RPG-type games.) Even now I can still remember on sight where most of the hidden items are scattered, just because I made it one of my goals to find every single hidden thing in the game.

I know I played through enough times to hit max level and get every single card (which requires at least 4 playthroughs if I remember correctly) so yeah, this will be a huge blast of nostalgia for me.

Mmm, delicious Pumpkin Pasties, fresh from some rats in an alley. Given that they heal 25 HP, getting a few from various encounters is actually really helpful, if kinda gross wondering where they came from.:v:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I saw this on twitter today, I'm all for this :allears:

Edit: Are you going to decompile the game Color Printer? It's like binding of issac, but Z80. :eng101:

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 4, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If the Harry Potter movies had actually had more Yugioh in them, they'd probably be even more unstoppable.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Waffleman_ posted:

If the Harry Potter movies had actually had more Yugioh in them, they'd probably be even more unstoppable.

Yu-Gi-Oh and not Magic: the Gathering? come on, You know Harry's rocking that Boros. Voldemort would shoot back with the Jund or Golgari or just Mono Black because he's a dick.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Onmi posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh and not Magic: the Gathering? come on, You know Harry's rocking that Boros. Voldemort would shoot back with the Jund or Golgari or just Mono Black because he's a dick.

You may as well have been speaking Chinese to me in this post.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Color Printer posted:

Aaaaaaaaand the game just cut out literally four chapters of content and replaced it with this solitary screen. Sure, no real gameplay could have come from those chapters (unless this was a David Cage game (you are now imagining a Harry Potter David Cage game)) but they could have replaced it with a series of images and narration like many of the other versions of the games did.

Here's your recap in case you want one: Harry Potter's parents were killed by Voldemort (read: very evil wizard) when he was a baby, Harry survived, lived with his lovely uncle, lovely aunt, and lovely cousin, then one day is told he is a wizard and is whisked away by a (half-)giant named Hagrid so he can attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Got it? Good.

While that is a fine summary, I should say that anyone wanting to refresh their memory on the first book would do well to follow along with the LP by watching Wizard People, Dear Reader as it progresses. As of right now, the first two parts should be safe.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 4, 2015

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Welp, I kept putting it off and someone beat me to lping this game. Having played through it again fairly recently, it's amazing how well it holds up as a game years later. The first two Gameboy games end up suffering a bit from expecting you to have read the books for context though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I wound up getting this game as one of my first GBC games, and years later I got Goble of Fire as one of my first GBA games.... nowhere near as good as this game. Seriously this is a good formula right here.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I love how Ollivander is the most generic wizard imaginable.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I never played the gameboy games, but I did play SS on PC, along with TONS of PC CoS. Both were mad terrible but I liked running freely around Hogwarts in CoS and found a bunch of weird secrets.

The only actually good one I ever found was GameCube Azkaban, which is just a Zelda game.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I somehow never realized that there were GBC Harry Potter games, let alone ones that were more RPG than action-adventure/platformer. :pseudo: I'm not sure how I managed to miss that, considering that I was hugely into the books as a kid.

This one looks really charming so far; I look forward to seeing more of it.

e: The only games I've personally played are the GBA SS and a bit of the Lego games. The former was kind of mediocre as I recall.

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 4, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I used to think that these GBC RPGs were really, really good, but today I'm not sure if that was just because the awesome music was the main thing I could remember, or if it just blew my mind at the time that there were licensed games that were not poo poo.

If I wasn't 1) already doing an LP, 2) neglecting that LP due to university being a bastard and 3) not good at VLPing, I'd do something with Quidditch World Cup for the PC, because that game was the bomb.

EDIT: Also, I spent WAY too much time in both games completing the Folio Magi. Hey, I was also collecting Pokemon cards at the time, obviously I was going to be into virtual card collecting.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 4, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You're a braver man than I was as a kid. No way would I step into Gringotts before grinding out at least a couple of levels.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It's interesting how wildly inconsistent the graphical quality of the backgrounds have been so far. On one hand, the inside of the Gringotts dungeon looks pretty decent for a GBC game... but right next to it is the enormously barfy main floor of the bank itself, and Diagon Alley sure ain't going to win any awards either.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Chapter 2 - The Boy Who Shopped

Well, here we. Gringotts' cavernous vaults. It's not much of a dungeon, but it's a dungeon.

In addition to standard rats, it's also got standard bats. They're more or less the same and also weak to Vermillious.

It's also got a bunch of rear end in a top hat doors to other vaults. Not a single one of them will let you in. Well, all except one of course.

Hey, let's see what that Conjure Snack combination does.

Yyyyyeeeep. Conjure Snack just gives you a random treat. In this case, a Licorice Wand. Licorice Wands heal a whopping five (5) Stamina points. Yeah. (Or in my case, 0 because I used it after this battle with full Stamina. OOPS)

Did I mention this is an RPG? And in RPGs you level up? Cause I did it at least twice this dungeon. Leveling up also fully restores SP and MP, something I forgot until I used the Licorice Wand from earlier to no effect whatsoever.

By the way, activating that card combination used up our cards. That's right, used up. Don't worry, you can get multiples of cards, and certain rare cards don't get used up. But for a while your card selection is surprisingly limited. So try not to waste them.

There are quite a few cards hidden in this dungeon, however. About four or five to be exact. (I'll keep track of the cards in a separate post later.)

Anyway, after exploring about two screens of boring caverns with rats and bats:

Huh. I wonder if this is what they call a boss.

Music - Boss Battle

BOSS: Giant Rat
Yep. It even gives you a good snapping to let you know it means business.

Thankfully you can dispatch the little guys no problem. The big one is also weak to Vermillious, and about 4 or 5 hits will take him out.

I did have to stop and heal by eating some Pumpkin Pasties, though.

Victory. :toot:

Oh hey guys. I was just over here getting mauled by a giant loving rat, no big deal. I didn't need your help.

I've been looking for you everywhere!
But I didn't go everywhere. I was right here, by your vault...

Harry's parents did indeed leave him a sizable fortune.

It is. We'll be takin' just enough silver Sickles...tha's wizard money...to equip yeh fer school.
Shall we go to the next vault now, sir?
Aye, we should hurry. Harry here's yer money an' the list of what ya need. Buy everything on the list. I'll pick up the you-know-what, then meet you in front of Gringotts.

You get 850 Sickles!
You receive: School Supply List

To use an item, press Start to bring up the Main Menu, then select Item to see what items you have. Highlight the item you wish to use and press the A Button.

What is the you-know-what?
Can't tell yeh. Hogwarts business. See yeh outside, Harry.

Before we leave, though...

The Cure Poison combo is hidden over here in this pile of coins. Shame we can't take as much money as we want.

Anyway let's backtrack out of Gringotts and not show any of it because nothing new happens.

Oh yeah, and I almost forgot this card hiding in the lobby. Sneaky, sneaky.

I didn't even buy anything yet, Hagrid. I better take a look at that list.

Seems simple enough. Let's get started.

Let's just head on west past the broom shop we can't do anything with (first years can't have broomsticks! also I forgot to walk inside. it's boring anyway) an-

there is even one inside that barrel.

Oh goddamn it I thought we were through with you.

Press the A Button to search for hidden items nearby in front of you. If an item is present, a message will appear to tell you what you have found.

Yeah, of course there's a card hidden in the barrel. There's a bunch of poo poo hiding everywhere. You know in RPGs where they hide items in random objects? This game does this a lot. Like, a lot. Aside from cards, combos, and items you might actually need for battle, not much particularly useful things are hidden. I don't even know where everything is.

Anyway, let's head into the owl shop.

Year? What do you mean?
What year are you in Hogwarts? First? Second?
I'm not in Hogwarts, yet.
Sorry, we can't really sell to you. Look around if you like, though. Good day.

Hmph. Rude.

By the way, practically all the NPCs here tell you tips like this, although they're mostly variations of "defeat enemies for experience so you can beat harder enemies later". Remember: RPG.

Let's go get our potion kit. Also, there's a wizard card hiding by the left potions on the counter.

Some of these items don't really have an in-game use, but we gotta buy them. School supply shopping is always a hassle.

Who the heck is this weird old dude.

Do you mean a Famous Witches and Wizards Card? Well, maybe. My collection is quite small at the moment.
This one is very rare...Circe herself! Want to trade?
What do you want for it?
A bezoar stone. Interested?
I don't even know what that that is.
Hmm, must be a firstie. Sorry to bother you.

A bezoar stone? I wonder if we'll ever learn what what is and if it will ever become important five books later. Huh.

Cauldrons, for making a wicked witches' brew.

There are two different kinds of cauldrons and I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that there is no difference, so let's go for the cheap one. There's a lot of weird obtuse poo poo about this game that, as far as I can tell, no one knows and that may or may not actually exist, and the difference between cauldrons is one of them.

All Potions are made in Cauldrons. If you select and use your Cauldron, you will get a screen showing all ingredients you have. Select the ingredients you want and then press Start to mix them.

We don't have any ingredients. :(

Hoot hoot.

There's also a free healing place and a place that sells candy down here but they're not very interesting so I walked past them and into Madam Malkin's Robes.

Oh right, this little turd. Meet Draco Malfoy, a character we will become very antiquated with as the series goes on.

I will be soon.
Me too. I saw you earlier with that beastly servant Hagrid.
I like Hagrid.
Do you? Not our sort, you know. He's almost as bad as a Muggle. Perhaps worse. Well, see you later.

rear end in a top hat.

School supply shopping was almost the worst. Clothes shopping for school was always the worst.

You have acquired an equipable item. To equip an item, press Start to bring up the Main Menu and then select Status / Equip. In order to Equip the item, highlight the place on Harry's picture where it should go and press the A Button. This screen also provides you with information about your statistics, Level, Experience and Sickles.

Oh man, check us out now! The Robe offers more agility, while the Winter Cloak offers more magical power and defense, so obviously I went with the Winter Cloak cause who cares about agility when we have magic???? (I was a dumb kid and probably just left the robe on until I got something better)

Anyway, all that's left is to buy our books. Also there's a Wiggenweld Potion hiding here, which heals quite a bit of SP.

first year?
Yes.
We have your books right here, already sorted. That will be 143 Sickles.

You receive: School Books

I can't wait to sell these books back at the end of the year for a measly 30 Sickles or something. Also these books costs more than a wand. Suddenly wizard money makes even less sense.

Thank you.
Thank you for shopping at Flourish and Blotts. Happy reading!

Well, that's our shopping done. Time to go back to Hagrid.

Well done, Harry. There's one last thing...Happy Birthday!
You receive: Hedwig The Owl
She's beautiful. What's her name?
She be Hedwig. All the kids want owls. They carry yer mail an' everythin'.
Thank you!
Well, time for us to be on our way.
Now ye're off to King's Cross Station, Harry. Find Platform 9 3/4 and look for the Hogwarts Express.

Well, we beat up some rodents, retrieved a small chunk of our parents' fortune, did our shopping, and now we're ready for Wizard School. Next time we'll make our way to Hogwarts.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Bezor is a NG+ Bonus isn't it? I think that's what it was anyway

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Onmi posted:

Bezor is a NG+ Bonus isn't it? I think that's what it was anyway

Nope, that event exists only for one thing later to happen. Iirc ng+ only retains your card collection.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

poorlywrittennovel posted:

Nope, that event exists only for one thing later to happen. Iirc ng+ only retains your card collection.

and cash/levels so- right no items. I remember this now.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Bezoar stones are also potion ingredients later on.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oh god, the boss music. It's in my heaaaaaaaaaaad.

Little bits and pieces of this game are coming back to me as you play. It feels like childhood!

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Kind of hosed up that Ollivander runs a wand monopoly.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

This looks like above average effort for a tie-in.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Fun fact, at one point in development you could sell your books back.

TCRF posted:

Diagon Alley

A small conversation between Harry and the cashier at Flourish & Blotts. You are never able to sell back the books. Despite her wording, this is a generous buyback price since Harry bought the books for 143 Sickles.

I need to sell these books back to you.

Oh dear. I am afraid we can only give you 123 Sickles back for them.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!

kalonZombie posted:

Kind of hosed up that Ollivander runs a wand monopoly.

Thing is, there's only one correct wand per wizard. Wizards and witches are very careful with them, such that they last a lifetime. The wizard community is quite small, and if Olivander only sells to any person once, there's no way he's making enough money for a living.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

SelenicMartian posted:

This looks like above average effort for a tie-in.
This isn't just a good Harry Potter game, it's a good game period. I actually had a choice from my parents that I could get either the GBC or the GBA version; I don't remember exactly why I picked the GBC version but holy crap I'm glad I did, I sunk so much time into this game. I'm half tempted to find my game and see if it still boots up.

Oh yeah, this really game spoiled me by having three separate save slots, it was a bit of a shock to play other games with only a single save slot. To this very day I maintain that if a loving GBC Harry Potter game could handle three separate saves, then there is absolutely no excuse for modern games. (Pokemon!:argh:)

Color Printer posted:

There are two different kinds of cauldrons and I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that there is no difference, so let's go for the cheap one. There's a lot of weird obtuse poo poo about this game that, as far as I can tell, no one knows and that may or may not actually exist, and the difference between cauldrons is one of them.
I actually know/remember the difference: the potions/items you can make in cauldrons require specific items and a specific cauldron; if you use the wrong cauldron (even if the items are right) you waste your items. I think it's tiered so that using a copper cauldron will work for both copper and collapsible recipes, but either way making Potions is more of a fun diversion, not a critical thing. And you don't have any items right now anyway.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 4, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!

fade5 posted:

Oh yeah, this really game spoiled me by having three separate save slots, it was a bit of a shock to play other games with only a single save slot. To this very day I maintain that if a loving GBC Harry Potter game could handle three separate saves, then there is absolutely no excuse for modern games. (Pokemon!:argh:)

This game probably only needs to save your position, stats and items, and "chapter" in the story you're in.

Pokemon needs to save stats of every single Pokemon you caught. And also a list of NPCs you fought and stuff like that. All in all, a lot more data.

More recent pokemon games do have enough space for multiple saves, but the devs said that they decided to use that for a backup save in case your data gets corrupted.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

fade5 posted:

I actually know/remember the difference: the potions/items you can make in cauldrons require specific items and a specific cauldron; if you use the wrong cauldron (even if the items are right) you waste your items. I think it's tiered so that using a copper cauldron will work for both copper and collapsible recipes, but either way making Potions is more of a fun diversion, not a critical thing. And you don't have any items right now anyway.

I never bothered to do this, and judging by GameFAQs, no one else bothered to write that stuff down either, aside from two or so people saying to buy both cauldrons. I always just bought potions.

EDIT: I can't even find consistent concrete health values for anything. This game is a mystery.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

There's more types of cauldrons too. I remember there being a silver one or something. I also remember making a potion that I had no idea what it did, I could never figure out how to use it whether on the field or in a battle.

Honestly I think things like that are what make the game so good. It's like how in the early books and movies no one understood everything and there were a bunch of things that were just weird for the sake of being weird.

• Locked thread