Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

BSam posted:

Are there any unclaimed but bad shows that you goons will end up watching anyway?

Are there any shows this year like in general?

Has anyone claimed Satisfaction? That starts back up soon.

Finish Powers BSam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BSam posted:

Are there any unclaimed but bad shows that you goons will end up watching anyway?

Last man on earth

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

wormil posted:

Last man on earth

I marathoned Season 1on Hulu a month ago, I think it is a pretty good show.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Iron Crowned posted:

Goons like to hate on it because they dislike the main character. They don't understand that the main character doesn't have to be likeable. He is who he is. People are lovely.

The show is true to life. I think it's pretty good too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TV IV is going to be a the walking dead forum by this time next year going by how many posts the better shows of the season are getting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Xoidanor posted:

TV IV is going to be a the walking dead forum by this time next year going by how many posts the better shows of the season are getting.

Live posting is largely a thing of the past because most of the people that watch shows now, especially around here, watch them time shifted.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's code for pirated, right?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Given how disappointing this season is as far as new shows (or they haven't started yet).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

And I told you several times that you're wrong.

Now, what are Limitless and The Player?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

IRQ posted:

And I told you several times that you're wrong.

Now, what are Limitless and The Player?

Limitless is a tv show sequel to the 2011 movie Limitless. Pilot was pretty good, Thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743393

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Aphrodite posted:

I'm pretty sure it's code for "DVR" - ain't nobody got time to watch commercials!

What did the Frankenstein show get renamed to? :effort:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

hollylolly posted:

I'm pretty sure it's code for "DVR" - ain't nobody got time to watch commercials!

What did the Frankenstein show get renamed to? :effort:

Lookingglass.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Ravane posted:

Lookingglass.

So in distancing themselves from Mary Shelley, they sidle right up to Lewis Carroll? :lol:

Now to figure out which image to replace in the OPsecond post. :D

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 25, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Time shifted is code for time shifted. Shifty huh?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ravane posted:

Goons like to hate on it because they dislike the main character. They don't understand that the main character doesn't have to be likeable. He is who he is. People are lovely.

The show is true to life. I think it's pretty good too.

Goons cream their jeans over shows with unlikable characters but LMOE uses the same shtick over and over and over ... and Tandy is unlikable in a non-compelling way; like a creepy uncle that everyone hopes doesn't come to the kid's birthday party. The show is otherwise well done and Carol is a great character. If the writing improves it could become a legit good show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it started off great and ended pretty solid too, but that whole chunk in the middle where Phil would act like a massive rear end in a top hat, get caught out, appear to be genuinely remorseful just to go back to the same poo poo became tiring.

It's a lot different to laughing at 'the gang's exploits on Always Sunny, or enjoying East Bound and Down. Phil, for the most part, is just a whiny rear end in a top hat.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

wormil posted:

Goons cream their jeans over shows with unlikable characters but LMOE uses the same shtick over and over and over ... and Tandy is unlikable in a non-compelling way; like a creepy uncle that everyone hopes doesn't come to the kid's birthday party. The show is otherwise well done and Carol is a great character. If the writing improves it could become a legit good show.

I'm pretty sure that the whole point is that he's like that. You have someone who was probably a pedantic rear end in a top hat before the virus, he was also clearly suffering from depression at the beginning. Throw in years of isolation and you get him.

Yes, its a little over the top, but its supposed to be about a selfish rear end in a top hat that accidentally gives people hope and brought the last people on earth together.

I dunno, I don't really think he's that unlikable, his character is more of the anti-straight man in a cast of straight men.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm pretty sure that the whole point is that he's like that. You have someone who was probably a pedantic rear end in a top hat before the virus, he was also clearly suffering from depression at the beginning. Throw in years of isolation and you get him.

Yes, its a little over the top, but its supposed to be about a selfish rear end in a top hat that accidentally gives people hope and brought the last people on earth together.

I dunno, I don't really think he's that unlikable, his character is more of the anti-straight man in a cast of straight men.

Yeah this. I think goons sperged out initially because Phil ended up not being literally The Last Man on Earth. They thought it was going to be Castaway with Will Forte. They don't get that the title comes from the phrase, "I wouldn't gently caress you even if you were The Last Man on Earth."

Phil CAN'T change. That's the loving point. If he changes and becomes likable then he also becomes fuckable, and then the entire premise of the show goes out the window. Everyone should be watching season one thinking something like "how is he going to screw up getting laid this week" because THAT'S the joke... that thread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think they disliked it because it stopped being funny and probably not because they insist on strict adherence to titles.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Aphrodite posted:

I think they disliked it because it stopped being funny and probably not because they insist on strict adherence to titles.

Hey, I'm just going by the initial complaints like I said! If you think people didn't like it for that then just go back and read the thread. It was a common complaint for some reason.

EDIT: And obviously I didn't mean every single person all the time... There of COURSE can be other reasons people didn't like it. Thanks for pointing out I didn't include that clause. I didn't think that needed to be typed out. goons

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 29, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Aphrodite posted:

This. The first and last episodes were great with a few great moments sprinkled between but for the most part it wasn't good.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I can't get into any new shows this season except for The Muppets. Ugh.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Aphrodite posted:

Pretty much this, it was funny when it was him and Carol but wasn't fun when they started adding character.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I take it back, The Grinder was amazing

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Astro7x posted:

I take it back, The Grinder was amazing

That was the only new comedy I was looking forward to this season and I thought it was great. Man does it have a great cast.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I'm surprised there's not a Moonbeam City thread.

I'd be less surprised if I was just bad at using Ctrl+F and it exists though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hollylolly posted:

So in distancing themselves from Mary Shelley, they sidle right up to Lewis Carroll? :lol:

Now to figure out which image to replace in the OPsecond post. :D

Yo, the name got changed again, now it's called "Second Chance."

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Yo, the name got changed again, now it's called "Second Chance."

Good grief.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

hollylolly posted:

Good grief.

They should name that thing FrankenCop and be done with it

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I can't read that title without seeing "Looking Lass".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the trailer the whole "lookinglass" thing is still going to be in there. I wonder if they'll still name drop Frankenstein?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fox is rearranging their Sundays and Tuesdays moving B99 to Tuesday to make a full sitcom block. I'm assuming they're putting that incredibly lovely looking Bordertown on Sunday.

Also Mike and Molly is reportedly canceled.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I finally sat down and watched the first two episodes of Into the Badlands. It's not amazing TV but I'm enjoying it, any idea how its doing ratings wise? AMC gonna keep this one? Too early to tell?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Last week had a massive drop with no Walking Dead lead-in, so last night's are probably going to be the first real indication of how it's doing.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I think this starts this week.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nah, it starts next week. I watched the pilot on Google Play and I thought it was surprisingly good. There's no reference to Frankenstein at all so I'm not sure where it would have been originally. As for the whole "Lookinglass" thing, that's the name of the Google-esque company that the other main characters own.

There's a fun part where the main character keeps showing up and talking to his son, who becomes suspicious of this guy who keeps saying he knew his father, knows a lot about his family and looks strangely familiar. So he comes to the only obvious conclusion the guy is his illegitimate half-brother.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

I love Lucifer just for how they've obviously re-shot scenes many times to get the take where Lucifer comes out as perfectly smug as possible.

His character is what makes the show, and really, nothing else could have worked. The entire idea of having the literal devil as your protagonist, instead of a metaphor for one with a supremely smug anti-hero of some type makes for a very interesting watch. It also helps that the actor is great and his lines are awesome and delivered well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm making the Lucifer thread a week before the premiere.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm making the Lucifer thread a week before the premiere.

Thank you, you do the Devil's work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So has any shows been cancelled this season? Usually when something gets canned it gets posted in here, but it been silent the whole time.

• Locked thread