Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I posted this in the networking megathread, then I thought about it a bit and figured it would probably be more appropriate in its own thread. Anyways, I'm setting up an IP camera at a remote location and having it connect to a network at a home, and I'd like some advice.

So far, I've (kinda) picked out:
This camera which runs off of PoE, although I'm open to pretty much any $100-$200 unit with decent mounting options and IR
This network bridge which runs off it's own special 24v PoE standard (adapter), the antenna to hook up to it is TBD

At the home there will probably be another one of those network bridges with an antenna.

Am I correct in thinking that I can use this PoE injector with a 48v power supply to both power the two devices and hook them together, without any additional switches/routers/hubs? If so, would crossover cable be necessary in any of the connections?

Am I overthinking this whole thing/have I picked out lovely/crazy expensive equipment?

The distance between the two points will vary between 500-1000 ft with a small number of intervening trees, raising up the antennas too much isn't really feasible. The whole thing will probably be powered with a car battery and an appropriate adapter and packed up into a convenient box with the camera and antenna on the outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I don't think this will work with the parts you list because the camera is looking for 12v of power and the radio gear wants 24v. Personally, I'd pick the Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2 http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/nanostationm/nsm_ds_web.pdf as the radio pair. They work well and though shooting through trees sucks, but by sticking to lower frequencies you give yourself the best chance of getting data through that mess. It may not be pretty but this is a short distance and will probably work fine.

You'll probably need an 802.3af adapter for the Nanostation so that it's running 48v and can pass that on to the camera. It would be a good idea to check with other folks who have one of these kinds of cameras to make sure it works smoothly with that kind of power. It should, but it would be nice to have someone else's experience.

Here's the camera datasheet.
http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2014032411393544577.pdf

IP Camera -> POE power to port 2 on Loco M2 -> POE power to 802.3af adapter -> (electronics magic) -> car battery

The electronics magic is tricky. You probably need a DC-DC converter to step the 12v from the car battery up to 48v for the rest of the system. Something like this: http://www.powerbox.com.au/dc-dc-converters/dc-dc-converter-eta-pbih.html Model: PBIH-1248G

Do you expect this camera to run for longer than a few hours? If so you should probably look into solar and wind turbine power generation. Having both of those along with a good chunk of batteries would be enough to keep this thing going for a long long time.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Anything longer than 300 feet and I would put it on a separate network or just DVR on site. I haven't personally used anything like that Bullet but I would bet it's a nightmare for video traffic.

You could also run coax depending on your needs. I guess with the varying distance and car battery you might be moving this around a lot so none of this may be applicable

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 6, 2015

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
An update, figured I'd go 900mhz as that punches through trees better, current hardware setup: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wFLbUG1TLzRAS7BMcENY-FfTzADnqNxv-01Js2ZMuDc/edit#gid=0

The whole area is <1 mile in diameter, so loco m9's will work well, if amazon reviews are to be believed. My main concern now is weatherproofing, do you think some dielectric grease, electrical tape, and outdoor-rated ethernet cables will be sufficient against water? The enclosure will almost definitely need to be ventilated so it doesn't cook in summer heat. Perhaps some rubber gaskets would be in order as well.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 8, 2015

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

CuddleChunks posted:

I don't think this will work with the parts you list because the camera is looking for 12v of power and the radio gear wants 24v. Personally, I'd pick the Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2 http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/nanostationm/nsm_ds_web.pdf as the radio pair. They work well and though shooting through trees sucks, but by sticking to lower frequencies you give yourself the best chance of getting data through that mess. It may not be pretty but this is a short distance and will probably work fine.

You'll probably need an 802.3af adapter for the Nanostation so that it's running 48v and can pass that on to the camera. It would be a good idea to check with other folks who have one of these kinds of cameras to make sure it works smoothly with that kind of power. It should, but it would be nice to have someone else's experience.

Here's the camera datasheet.
http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2014032411393544577.pdf

IP Camera -> POE power to port 2 on Loco M2 -> POE power to 802.3af adapter -> (electronics magic) -> car battery

The electronics magic is tricky. You probably need a DC-DC converter to step the 12v from the car battery up to 48v for the rest of the system. Something like this: http://www.powerbox.com.au/dc-dc-converters/dc-dc-converter-eta-pbih.html Model: PBIH-1248G

Do you expect this camera to run for longer than a few hours? If so you should probably look into solar and wind turbine power generation. Having both of those along with a good chunk of batteries would be enough to keep this thing going for a long long time.

I decided to swap out the camera for another ubiquiti offering, so it looks like I'll just be able to inject 24v for both components without an adapter. As for the power, I've decided to try out deep-cycle 12v batteries with a solar charger, so I guess I'll see what kind of a lifespan that gives them (I'm hoping pretty much indefinite with this level of draw). Although, I penciled in an inverter+power supply, so going with a DC-DC converter would probably work better.

Roargasm posted:

Anything longer than 300 feet and I would put it on a separate network or just DVR on site. I haven't personally used anything like that Bullet but I would bet it's a nightmare for video traffic.

You could also run coax depending on your needs. I guess with the varying distance and car battery you might be moving this around a lot so none of this may be applicable

Yeah, running cable isn't really too feasible as there are several paved roads and creeks and all that fun stuff, plus the cameras will be moving about. As for traffic, I ~think~ loco m9's will be able to handle whatever the cameras put out.

Edit: damnit quote /= edit

Syenite fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 8, 2015

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Wow, I've been trying to put a parts list together for this exact same senario, a farm needing an IP camera at one of the entrances, and your parts list helps me out.

The only other additional thing I was thinking of doing was adding one of these to control our ag spec sprinklers remotely as well, since no one will be up there all the time.

I also thought about foregoing the antennas and purchasing an unlimited data sim card off of eBay with a mifi in place, but not sure if that'd be more consistent than a IP camera hub at the farmhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Shukaro posted:

I decided to swap out the camera for another ubiquiti offering, so it looks like I'll just be able to inject 24v for both components without an adapter. As for the power, I've decided to try out deep-cycle 12v batteries with a solar charger, so I guess I'll see what kind of a lifespan that gives them (I'm hoping pretty much indefinite with this level of draw). Although, I penciled in an inverter+power supply, so going with a DC-DC converter would probably work better.

Yeah, running cable isn't really too feasible as there are several paved roads and creeks and all that fun stuff, plus the cameras will be moving about. As for traffic, I ~think~ loco m9's will be able to handle whatever the cameras put out.

Edit: damnit quote /= edit

I'd strongly advise against UBNT's video offerings. I have a maybe a dozen of the first and second gen cams kicking around, but since they pulled rtsp support you can't get a raw video stream without running their (rough) dvr software or going for jpeg grabs. You get more for the money with hikvision and dahua stuff. Wireless wise - low framerate ip cams are no problem over ptp links. If you want 30fps/3MP ymmv and all. You are going to want to do some calcs based on your watt consumption and location, solar really doesn't get you as far as you think if you need 24/7 uptime, especially in the winter.

• Locked thread