Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

The debut of Miroslav Slaboshpitsky, this movie has been making the rounds for the last year and is due to have a limited release stateside this month. Unsure how many here have seen it, or are planning to, but I thought it merited a thread to find out as it's a fairly remarkable piece of work by any measure.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xboxgEm-ucU
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1745787/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Rottentomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_tribe_2015/

The plot is rather simple and rather worn: New kid arrives at boarding school, discovers student-run gang, gets inducted, falls for girl.

What is interesting that the kid, and indeed everyone in the school, is deaf. The actors (who are not actors) speak in sign language, the dialogue is not captioned, and it falls to us to piece together motivations for events as they come.

What is more interesting is that this neither overshadows nor inhibits the narrative, which is set against the backdrop of an impoverished Ukraine and is one of the most relentlessly bleak portrayals I've come across in cinema. Be warned that this is a very graphic movie.

I'm not certain how much I actually like the film, and in fact if I did end up liking it then that would be a little worrying given what takes place onscreen, but I haven't been as impressed by anything in recent years as I have with this.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
the dialog isnt captioned? wow thats some pretentious bullshit. at least normally when they make that kind of movie its about sweeping vistas and landscapes not a bunch of ugly deaf naked people.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is the movie designed around the viewer being unable to fully understand what's going on, or will I be totally lost if I don't somehow pick up Ukrainian sign language while watching?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Is the movie designed around the viewer being unable to fully understand what's going on, or will I be totally lost if I don't somehow pick up Ukrainian sign language while watching?

At no point are you ever really confused about what is going on; the plot is simple enough.

The deafness thing is what people tunnel in on, but it's not really a pretentious hipster gimmick. It's just something the director did because dialogue wasn't particularly necessary for what he wanted to show onscreen and as a homage to silent films.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 4, 2015

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why not just make a silent film then instead of having us watch people wave their hands around?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...did A Serbian Film ever get a thread? That's the movie this is most reminding me of, just from looking it up.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

zVxTeflon posted:

Why not just make a silent film then instead of having us watch people wave their hands around?

Do you normally dismiss other people's languages like you're some sort of Victorian looking down on savages in the colonies? :stare:

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 4, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hodgepodge posted:

Do you normally dismiss other people's languages like you're some sort of Victorian looking down on savages in the colonies? :stare:

The director outright stated that he was going for a silent film type thing with it, and the choice of USL (given the film's themes and plot otherwise) seems like less of an attempt at drawing attention to the language and more of a simple attempt at obfuscating the dialogue. If this was trying to raise awareness of the language, you would have a point, but you don't.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I heard so much good poo poo about this movie at the Toronto festival this year - literally a dozen or more people I talked to was raving about it. I'm glad to see they're going for a limited release and I'll actually get to see it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The director outright stated that he was going for a silent film type thing with it, and the choice of USL (given the film's themes and plot otherwise) seems like less of an attempt at drawing attention to the language and more of a simple attempt at obfuscating the dialogue. If this was trying to raise awareness of the language, you would have a point, but you don't.

My point is that, regardless of context, what you said was no better than someone dismissing someone's language for sounding funny.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
I saw this a few months ago at a film festival; the sign language is much more than just a gimmick, and I think it's pretty silly to dismiss the concept of a film about disabled people that doesn't directly focus on their disability.

Unfortunately, for The Tribe the actual film is less interesting than its form; I didn't know that everyone in it was a non-actor, but that explains a lot. There's no real personality or charisma to the main character, so watching his rise and inevitable fall (I don't think that's a spoiler but i don't know), is just bleak crime tropes in long takes. I don't know if guy falls for hooker, ruins everything when he gets upset that she's still a hooker is a tired trope, but it sure felt tired to me. It didn't help that 90% of the students are lanky brown haired teenagers that (at least to me) all looked the same; I guess I can't tell Ukrainians apart? :v: I did like the two female students, but they're not really the focus.

There's also a few scenes that seem there simply for shock value, mainly the excessively lengthy abortion.

For anyone else who's seen it, is the entire school a front or something? How is literally every person in the school involved in this crime ring? Are all the teachers in on it?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I feel like the film deconstructs language and sound in a way. The film is a combination of the shock value of Von Trier with the silent brutality of Cristian Mungiu, and the lack of any spoken words causes the images and the events to linger. Like the abortion scene we really feel those surgical tools. Talking would detract from the emotional impact.

We mostly understand everything that happens anyway. We don't need subtitles to follow along. We feel alienated at first until we also get dragged down into the madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
One of the worst movies I've seen this year.

The gimmick with using deaf actors and no subtitles feels like a giant waste, and it's more frustrating because you can tell the narrative (and there's barely a narrative here) has to get explained in a really elongated way due to the format. But at least the "silent film" idea is admirable. I couldn't understand the use of long takes for every scene. There's no purpose to it other than showing off how good everyone is at rehearsing. I just can't stand movies that use the long take to show off how impressive and artistic it is when it's completely empty and artless. Leave long takes to the people who know how to use them (ex. Bela Tarr, Tsai Ming-Liang, Chantal Akerman). This is just a miserable, arthouse version of Birdman.

• Locked thread