Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Even the ruby/sapphire remakes are bad. They pack it choke-full with features but there's no style, no charm.

Bring back old Pokemon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
never played a poke mans but the OP is probably right

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
almost all of them past the first few have felt pretty soulless but i probably just outgrew them a long time ago and try to cling on anyway for nostalgias sake. i am going to try pokemon y soon since i just got a 3ds, hopefully its better.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Remember when you went to the power plant and saw a pokéball on the ground and you grabbed it and it was a loving Voltorb?? Man what a rush.

Good/fun game.

:wooper:

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anime is for children.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

a creepy colon posted:

Anime is for children.

also video games, pokemon is both think about that for a second

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
i feel like middle aged nerds were more acceptable when they were into model trains and ham radio

this thing where they keep going on and on forever with pokemon of all things? it just doesn't work for me

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pokemon Gen 1 is one of those rare examples of something unpolished as gently caress reaching the maximum possible audience due to solid game mechanics and expert marketing.

After Gen 2 the devs failed to add anything that made the games even worth a casual fuckaround for me. Unless you're playing it at like 500% speed in an emulator the grind of Pokemon is tedious as gently caress and Game Freak has done next to nothing to streamline the process. Then there's all that insanely dumb bullshit about hidden stats and the battles being focused on buffs/debuffs that carry across swapped out Pokemon. It's probably fun if you're suffering from sunk-costs and memorized all that stuff on each release, but unless you're paying me to learn I'm happy to pretend it's not there.

ExtraCheese
Apr 16, 2014
Hmm these children's games have gotten boring, it must be because they are worse than previous ones not because I'm not a child anymore.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the artists's lack of struggle comes through in the later pokemon designs

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

mind the walrus posted:

Pokemon Gen 1 is one of those rare examples of something unpolished as gently caress reaching the maximum possible audience due to solid game mechanics and expert marketing.

After Gen 2 the devs failed to add anything that made the games even worth a casual fuckaround for me. Unless you're playing it at like 500% speed in an emulator the grind of Pokemon is tedious as gently caress and Game Freak has done next to nothing to streamline the process. Then there's all that insanely dumb bullshit about hidden stats and the battles being focused on buffs/debuffs that carry across swapped out Pokemon. It's probably fun if you're suffering from sunk-costs and memorized all that stuff on each release, but unless you're paying me to learn I'm happy to pretend it's not there.

lol

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
op have you considered not playing games designed for a 6-15 y/o market?

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i remember playing the first one on an emulator on my computer. i was convinced that if i could level up that stupid fish one it would be totally bad arse and i was right. man what a feeling. 15 years later and nothing tops that. going to attempt suicide again now. brb

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Actually the new pokemon own and the old ones are poo poo because of old bad mechanics. The newer pokemon are better design wise too since they don't have the limitation of the gameboy any more.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tamerlame posted:

Actually the new pokemon own and the old ones are poo poo because of old bad mechanics. The newer pokemon are better design wise too since they don't have the limitation of the gameboy any more.

dont people look at you weird when you buy pokemon games or do you stick to purchasing em online to save the embarrassment

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am almost 30 years old and if i bought a pokemon game i would have to pretend it was for my son

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
pokemon is part of japans feminization of the west, revenge for hiroshima & nagasaki

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

a creepy colon posted:

dont people look at you weird when you buy pokemon games or do you stick to purchasing em online to save the embarrassment

I'm actually 5 so it's okay

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
The first generation of Pokemon was pretty drat unpolished, alright. There were some pretty big programming glitches, they used the same three icons for all pokemon outside of battle (ground-dwelling, bird and fish) despite the ROM being an enormous (for the game boy) 512KB. They definitely improved over time but the improvements are so gradual that you're better off not buying each one and just skipping ahead by several generations once they get their poo poo together. Nowadays Pokemon can hold my interest for a little while but the single player storylines are really crummy, always the same each time, and the multiplayer with friends is the only part I really find amusing.

When I played, I'd tend to skip all the grinding by building my own Pokemon on my PC and copying them over. Generally did that for my friends too, so we were locked in a neverending back-and-forth with teams specifically designed to fight each other's.

EDIT:

Who's been loving with my gameboy?!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Take an exisiting animal/object - put eyes on it - anime it up - there, new pokemon.

Gen 1 and 2 has the best designs, after 3 it was "lets put eyes on things."

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
Also I hate how all the new pokemon they add anymore are lovely legendaries. Who the hell wants to play with the same pokemon everyone else has? Plus they're uncreative as hell and now just look like dragons with robot parts.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I liked pokemon when I was 14

Now I dont like pokemon as much, because i am not 14 anymore

makes u think

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Which one of the poke men was your favorite? I liked squirtle.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

a creepy colon posted:

I don't think anyone actually gives a poo poo

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

OldMemes posted:

Take an exisiting animal/object - put eyes on it - anime it up - there, new pokemon.

Gen 1 and 2 has the best designs, after 3 it was "lets put eyes on things."

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ahundredbux posted:

I don't think anyone actually gives a poo poo

I'm sure the blind date you took to the midnight release of the newes t pokemon game at Electronics boutique cared a little

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
They reached the bottom of the barrel when they made a Pokemon that's a keyring. What next? Perhaps a coat rack Pokemon?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Gen 2 was where they struck the balance of good, polished design and goofy charm and thus was the best.

I played gen 3, but never completed them because either they were boring or I entered high school.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Jubs posted:

They reached the bottom of the barrel when they made a Pokemon that's a keyring. What next? Perhaps a coat rack Pokemon?

The key ring Pokemon is adorable.

It frightens it's foes by jangling it's keys at them.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
starsiege: tribes was a fantastic game.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Don't forget Grimer and Muck (mud with eyes), Ditto (goo with eyes), Magnemite (a magnet with an eye), Geodude (a rock with eyes) and Diglet (a poop with eyes).

And then you have Magneton, which is 3 magnets with eyes and Dugtrio, which is 3 poops with eyes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
why the gently caress are adults playing this poo poo?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Aren't there Godlike pokemon? Literal deities controlling time and space? And you catch them? What else is there to do?

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
The thrill of catching a god is kind of neutered by the fact that you'll later battle a seemingly endless army of 7-year olds online who also caught that god

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

bring back awesome old pokemon such as A Mime and Mrs. Popo

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Toadvine posted:

Aren't there Godlike pokemon? Literal deities controlling time and space? And you catch them? What else is there to do?

Make jokes about it and continue to enjoy playing a pokemon game

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

:wooper:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pokemon has always been lovely rear end basic Babbys First jRPG, sorry to be the one to break it to you

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

raditts posted:

Pokemon has always been lovely rear end basic Babbys First jRPG, sorry to be the one to break it to you

To be fair, it's not like jrpgs are exactly complicated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

why the gently caress are adults playing this poo poo?

Cause it's fun.

I want to have a pet T-Rex to go on adventures with and then scratch that T-Rex on the chin and feed it cupcakes.

The current Pokemon games make this possible.

• Locked thread