Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
CJacobs, you're gonna show off the loading screens, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I plan on editing out my deaths to make the gameplay a bit smoother, but I'll probably still find a way to show them off somehow because they are pretty cool.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I plan on editing out my deaths to make the gameplay a bit smoother, but I'll probably still find a way to show them off somehow because they are pretty cool.

They are REALLY cool. One or two unique ones for every chapter of the game, I believe.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Splice them in during periods of relative downtime/at the end of videos, maybe? They do need to be shown off, the game really isn't complete/the same without seeing them as you go through it. Or, when you die sometimes cut to one but then edit to roughly the same place in the level?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Monocled Falcon posted:

How else do you think bullets get made, a factory?

They totally do! I saw it in that Lord of War movie. It was right in the beginning and totally realistic. :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Monocled Falcon posted:

How else do you think bullets get made, a factory?

Vicissitude posted:

They totally do! I saw it in that Lord of War movie. It was right in the beginning and totally realistic. :colbert:

That was one of the things that I really enjoyed about :bsg: was that every now and then they took the time to show you stuff like the makeshift ammunition factories on ships so you weren't wondering where the hell all these people and starfighters got their bullets from when they're marooned in deep space.

...Well, that and Tricia Helfer :pervert:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bullets come from the bullet farm.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Unless I'm misremembering, Spec Ops: The Line's gonna show you where its bullets come from too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TomViolence posted:

Unless I'm misremembering, Spec Ops: The Line's gonna show you where its bullets come from too.

It was actually in an Intel piece in the second episode that I had to skip because the cutscene introducing Agent Castavin happened before I could grab it. :sweatdrop:

I was gonna wait till the first Intel vid to post it but because it's just come up in conversation, here it is:

The bullets are made out of old jewelry and valuables just like the doll we found, because now money means nothing! :smith:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

....so where do the primers and gunpowder come from?

Probably pulling apart unneeded ammo for their important bits.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

chitoryu12 posted:

Spite, tears, and man's inhumanity to man.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm fairly certain there's a log further down The Line (:rimshot:) that answers this question too!

Night10194 posted:

Spite, tears, and man's inhumanity to man.

Although this answer is the one I'll accept as truth till we get to that point. :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Bullets come from the bullet farm.
China Miéville did a really good twist on this in The Kraken. Bullets are gun eggs that hatch in bodies.
Unrelated, but a good book.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've added an Extras section to the second post. Glad I reserved it! Any bonus videos, story explanations, info dumps, fan art, and the soundtrack will be posted there. For now, here are the licensed tracks that have appeared in the game so far. They are linked via polsy so you don't have to worry about any dumb Youtube fuckers spoiling the game because the wittiest thing they could possibly think to do is quote spoilers from Spec Ops on every video related to it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 11, 2015

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

CJacobs posted:

Arguably the loading screens as the game progresses are a part of the entire experience. Just a thought to consider for your editing.

Thanks for the LP!

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Showing the loading screens is a good idea, you really only need to do it when they change.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've figured out a way to do it without them being too super intrusive. When I die in Spec Ops there's about 2 minutes of dead air between Walker dying, the loading screen happening, the game fading back in, and making my way back to the place where I died depending on where the last checkpoint is. So far in editing I've gotten around that by doing this (sneak preview of a few videos from now, I guess):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TSdPg5Ua5M

Which I think is a pretty cool effect that doesn't disrupt the video because it kinda fits with the style I'm editing it with (you'll see what I mean in said future video). I talked to Crow about this and what we came up with is that I'll do the static-thing into the loading screen for just a second or two, maybe have it 'ch-chunk' in like it's on a projector, and then static back to wherever I want to pick back up from. I die a whole drat lot at the end so sometimes I'll just do the quick static like what you see in that video, but occasionally I'll throw a loading screen from the relevant part of the game in just so the player can see them.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 11, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Can't wait to learn these techs! It's a really nice effect.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
If you're having trouble finding a place to stick all the loading screens, send them to me and I'll add them to the Chrono Trigger LP.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Just blast through them in one 20 second video set to Offenbach's Orpheus in the Underworld.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I've added an Extras section to the second post. Glad I reserved it! Any bonus videos, story explanations, info dumps, fan art, and the soundtrack will be posted there. For now, here are the licensed tracks that have appeared in the game so far. They are linked via polsy so you don't have to worry about any dumb Youtube fuckers spoiling the game because the wittiest thing they could possibly think to do is quote spoilers from Spec Ops on every video related to it.

I loving knew I heard a Mogwai song somewhere in there.

Great LP so far, by the way! Heard a lot about this game, but never got around to playing it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Delta continues their search for the kidnapped soldier. Now in stunning 1080p!

Some new, particularly excellent music in this chapter too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I never realized just how much more interesting this game must be to play through when you're American.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Awh yiss, The Black Angels. Local Austin band made good - still cheers me up whenever I see them show up somewhere.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

I never realized just how much more interesting this game must be to play through when you're American.

Very interesting indeed.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Spec Ops: The Line, eh? I might stick around just to see the thread reactions and analyses.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

So many candles, but no one around to use them... Did that guy just fire at the ceiling?

I like Radioman. Like geez, it's a lovely situation, but he's keeping calm and playing some sweet tunes. Thanks Radioman. [fakeedit: oh no wait. Maybe not.]

"Shut up! I'm trying to execute this guy!" -CJacobs, 2015
He's covered in blood and flailing, man, I don't think he's getting up. :stare:

HOLY poo poo that is a lot of sand. ...And even loving more sand. I really like how colorful this game is, and you really notice when you get injured enough for the screen to go momentarily black and white.

Between the zip line and rappeling, Walker must have hands of steel. ...nope, end of the video changed my mind. Clearly he has some sort of prototype rig from Dead Space.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One thing I really like: Look at Walker's face during these gunfights. He's absolutely covered in sweat and he looks goddamn horrified.

Like, the thing about this game is, the shooting is 'normal', but the music, art, the attention to detail and acting in the characters' faces and combat barks, all of those combine to give it the visceral, unpleasantly dangerous feel it's going for.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 12, 2015

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Um. Hm.

You alright buddy?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Night10194 posted:

One thing I really like: Look at Walker's face during these gunfights. He's absolutely covered in sweat and he looks goddamn horrified.

Like, the thing about this game is, the shooting is 'normal', but the music, art, the attention to detail and acting in the characters' faces and combat barks, all of those combine to give it the visceral, unpleasantly dangerous feel it's going for.

Check him out when I get like super low health, his expression changes to a look of fear like straight-up :stonk: territory. The facial animations in this game really are awesome and detailed.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 12, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The buildings holding back walls of sand to create a giant _pit_ was an amazing visual. And now we've fallen into it!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
You know, I think there's actually a civilian trying to take cover in the middle of the firefight at 3:00. I'm not sure, with everything going on and some bodies despawning, but I think he gets hit by stray gunfire when he tries to run after a 33rd takes cover right across from him.

CJacobs posted:

So occasionally we will come across those guys with the bayonets. The Rambo knives.
The LPs are converging. The spirit of Blind Sally manifests as these Battlefield KaPers who rush forth in an attempt to force you to use your stasis. But this is the wrong game. There is no stasis. There is only gun.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So, what's that make? Twelve, fifteen counts of self-defense with an automatic weapon? I'm losing count and I don't think the courts are gonna buy that anymore.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

How big is a company, anyway? How far are we into wiping out the 33rd?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Aumanor posted:

So, what's that make? Twelve, fifteen counts of self-defense with an automatic weapon? I'm losing count and I don't think the courts are gonna buy that anymore.

Ahahahaaha, that's one of my favorite Freeman's Mind quotes. Yeah, once he starts fighting human soldiers he starts running out of plausible excuses other than "these guys are idiots who don't know what the gently caress a "civilian" is!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

A US Army company consists of 80-150 soldiers and is commanded by a Captain. The 33rd is a batallion though, which consists of between 300-800 soldiers commanded by a Lt. Colonel, which Konrad is.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Bruceski posted:

According to Wikipedia, a Company has about 80-150 personnel.

Also, it's no wonder this game is banned in the United Arab Emirates.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

Ahahahaaha, that's one of my favorite Freeman's Mind quotes. Yeah, once he starts fighting human soldiers he starts running out of plausible excuses other than "these guys are idiots who don't know what the gently caress a "civilian" is!"

That is a pretty great running joke, and the final iteration is even more suited to the present situation:

Freeman's Mind Ep. 22 posted:

Man, if I get indicted once I leave here, this is getting harder and harder to explain. I don't think anyone's gonna buy a few dozen counts of self-defense with a submachine gun. I think there's kind of an unspoken rule in our society that if this many people are trying to kill you, you're supposed to be dead. I need to talk to an attorney. Maybe there's some sort of Rambo clause.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's not that a fault line got ruptured and Dubai fell into it; Dubai is exactly where it used to be. The problem is that the level of the sand has risen dramatically and Dubai has literally been buried by sandstorms. The big chasm is there because in this part of Dubai the skyscrapers are close enough together to block the wind and support the sand enough to create a small sheltered area that didn't get buried.

The physics behind this are questionable at best, but drat if it don't look amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
The 33rd is a battalion I believe, and numbers range from 300-1500 if I remember correctly.

• Locked thread