Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
My only problem with the WP scene is that the game really hammers that it was a bad thing. Hell, at the start of the scene you have the symbolic statue of three children playing with glints of fire still on it. Then there is the back and forth between Walker and the almost Madonna and Child which just goes on a little long. I know game is trying to make the image stick, but the fact that the camera switches focus so many times is just awkward. The whole walk to the ditch I expected a narrator to chime in to remind us that we are bad people (which is substituted by Walker's "you brought this on yourself"). Overall its a pretty good scene that goes along with themes throughout the game; it just goes on a little too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Shei-kun posted:

So.

Wow.

Um... what happens if you try to save the civilians? Do they get shot and killed anyway, too?

They get led away while the interrogator tortures Gould a bit more (Gould breaks down and talks, only for the interrogator to kill him anyway because his information isn't specific enough). Walker and Adams go off on a little stealth sequence after the two remaining civilians (much easier than trying to save Gould if you're playing on FUBAR). You find the two 33rd executioners trying to figure out which one of them has to do the deed. You kill the two of them and the civilians look at you a minute before running away. Then you go back to the scene with kneeling over Gould's body except that Lugo's pissed off at you for not listening to him.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Chard posted:

The shot after they walk away from Gould's body, when the camera kind of moves closer and looks down (just like a person holding a camera would) is perfect.

I love the camera work in this game. It's an extremely cinematic game.

This scene really hammers on the subject of choice, and begins a particular line of thinking: whose choice was it to use the white phosphorous mortars? Certainly not the player's (although quite a few players gleefully used it). Stepping further back, who put the civilians there? Not Walker, for sure. One thing that's interesting about this scene is that you as the player recognize that knowing the civilians were present would've absolutely changed Walker's decision to use the mortars. It was a lack of information (and Adams, drat you Adams) that led to this. But then, why would it be more OK to use it on just soldiers? Why is that an OK rationalization, where adding civilians makes it terrible?

For me, it does make sense in a horrible, bloodrage sort of way to use the WP here, because having seen the 33rd using it on civilians gives the entire thing a vengeance feel.

And then walking through the aftermath just makes you feel like a jackass. At least, it did me!

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Can I just say how much I love Lugo's breakdown in that scene? The voice actor did a real good job. Lugo's the heart of the team, and the heart loving breaks. I also liked how it looks like hes almost pointing at the player while saying the "This is YOUR fault goddammit" line.

It also feels like a bit of gently caress you to those sections in Call of Duty games where you control a drone or whatever and you rain fire down on the enemy, regardless of location, with zero civilian casualties. If I recall, the first CoD had this section occur in an occupied village.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Yeah, this game succeeds at being cinematic way better than its peers

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
It's fun comparing this squad leader with that of a certain other concurrent LP.

On my first playthrough, I chose to save the civilians. Chose to, not successfully saved. I may have hosed up the sneaky bit a little too early with some control panic ("okay, I want to scoot to this cover and- OH NO THAT WAS VAULT"). IIRC it turned into the Save Gould result.

And then, That Part.

Personally I didn't have any problems identifying that was a group of civilians. Their location and behavior immediately looked wrong, clustered and milling around in a trench, not reacting like the soldiers. "Okay. THOSE are not soldiers. Alright, alright. Let's see. If I put the shot further over on the humvee..." FWOOSH "...oh! Iiiii think I found their fuel dump too."
Interestingly, on a closer inspection of CJacobs' footage, the civilians appear to all be represented with unarmed soldier models from the mortar camera view. The backpacks and contour of their clothing all indicate soldiers. That's mean, but that's ALSO very interesting. I'll return to this point later.

Went out of my way to shoot the dying guys on the walk through. Also note where the destination marker is when The Cutscene happens. If a player did not realize what the group actually was, that's a really fun surprise. The game has just made you stare into the consequences, and right when it looks like it's about to be over, it grabs you and shoves your face in, LOOK AGAIN!

Watching The Cutscene, the geometry of it doesn't quite line up with the gameplay, but then again

biosterous posted:

Every chapter so far, Walker ends of physically lower than before. Symbolism, yo.
the landscape itself has already gone insane.

Blind Sally posted:

Yeah, the misunderstanding is a totally human response to a hosed up situation. I found it believable.
Agreed. In between Delta Force being lost newcomers and the soldier having been in the poo poo for months and almost put through the wringer by the CIA... people believe what they want to believe.

M.Ciaster posted:

In general, I'm not really getting the vibe of the game judging the player for playing it and having fun (with the gameplay, at least; it looks pretty solid) I was expecting after all I've heard about it - hell, it even lists the player in the opening credits as the "special guest".
I sense the game IS giving a big "gently caress YOU" at something specific, but it's not at the player. More on this... later. again.

M.Ciaster posted:

If anything, I feel like it's judging shooters themselves for pretty much only giving you violent ways of interacting with the world. I kept thinking "for gently caress's sake, guys, stop shooting back and start yelling it's a misunderstanding! Hell, surrender if you have to, you do believe it really is a misunderstanding after all; plus they'll probably bring you to Konrad if you do and Walker is estabilished to have History with the guy so it'll all be ok". But there's no "talk" button.

Which, again, isn't judging the player, but rather modern game devs. It's like that old "but what if you could talk to the monsters?" thing, only y'know actually making sense since the enemies are humans, not demonic invaders from hell. :v:
Shootman is compelled to shoot. Shootman must shoot. Shootman shoots, therefore he is. It's a fantastic exercise in bringing choice back to its basest unscripted levels: When to shoot, where to shoot, to shoot or not to shoot (but you must inevitably shoot, if you want to continue to be). The scripted choice is reduced to walking up to your choice and shooting it in the face. To the computer, it's just a slightly different switch, but to player experience? Holy poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

biosterous posted:

Every chapter so far, Walker ends of physically lower than before. Symbolism, yo.

Also, the exact wording of Lugo's freakout is pretty important - "He turned us into loving KILLERS" is a long way gone from his joking "If I wasn't a hardened killin' machine, that mighta hurt." at the beginning of the game.

This is something that I absolutely cannot get enough of. Note that we didn't ever actually come out of the ravine in the chapter after Walker fell down into it at the end of Episode 3. You kinda sorta go back up a couple flights of stairs once you reach the far end of the gorge, but the view you get at the start makes it pretty drat clear:

And if that wasn't enough, the chapter select screen solidifies it:

The gorge has a beginning and an end and is disconnected from the rest of the city completely, but somehow we managed to start at the top of it, fall down into it, and then continue above ground even though we never went upward a single time. After the team reaches the far end of the gorge they enter the museum, where they find the trap set for Gould. Then they get buried in rubble by the ensuing helicopter chase, and when they emerge from the wreckage they are no longer in the gorge (Walker even jumps down a flight of stairs in the cutscene where they're navigating the rubble!). You can even see on the chapter select screen that the gate (on the far left) and the top of the gorge are geographically on the same level. It's amazing. And intentional!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 24, 2015

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

What's really great is that the characters all have somewhat reasonable reactions to what they did that falls on the whole stages of grief chart that ALSO depends on their personality (and man they have some good character writing). Adams, the "just doing my job" soldier is stuck firmly on Anger. Captain Walker is on Denial and never really gets past that because in the end he's the one responsible for all of it (they could have just done their job and returned to base once they found survivors). Lugo is the most important and well-rounded member of the squad because he's an empathic person, all things considered. Sarcastic and quippy? Sure, but he realizes when he has to shut it off and play the serious role. He also changes his role and behavior in the team depending on how the others are doing because he can read them like a book, by antagonizing Adams a little to get Adams' attention on him and off what's troubling him. It's hard to tell where Lugo is, but if I had to guess he's either at Depression or Acceptance. He knows the whole thing is hosed and that they've made terrible mistakes, and if anyone would apologize personally to the survivors, it'd be Lugo. He could be at either point. And that's amazing to me, because he's basically the archetypical Michael Bay dudebro guy but he's capable of such depth and empathy that Walkers and Adams really do need Lugo around to mediate and keep the two of them functional.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

biosterous posted:

This is a good catch as it's present in a lot of this game's associated material. I remember we used this game's trailer (in which Walker is more or less constantly falling, rapelling, dropping) in a class as an illustration for a part of Campbell's monomyth thing - this game is one big descent to the belly of the whale.

pkfan2004 posted:

Team members and their reactions
I wholeheartedly agree; one of my favorite parts about this game's writing is that while all three of our, eh, intrepid heroes are basically action movie stereotypes, this story goes pretty drat deep to explore what makes these stereotypes tick - and what makes them break down. It just takes to the logical conclusion what most other war-related forms of entertainment (and holy poo poo is that a phrase that says something about humanity) are comfortable with handwaving off. As for what it leads to, we'll see.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 24, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Blind Sally posted:

Yeah, the misunderstanding is a totally human response to a hosed up situation. I found it believable.

Also, if you'll watch the scene again, the placement of the chair means that Jensen doesn't see the Delta crew until after he's shot the interrogator. So, for all he knows, they were there the whole time. If you manage to kill your jailer, escape, and immediately find three men there pointing guns at you, why in the hell wouldn't you assume they're working with him? Walker didn't actually do anything to help Jensen, other than saying "No!" when the agent pulls a gun on his unarmed prisoner, Jensen has absolutely zero reason to believe him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You can also see some hypocrisy in Lugo's anger. He hates Walker because he "turned us into killers", but isn't that all they've been doing? The trio are responsible for easily over a hundred deaths by the time they reach the mortar. Obviously dumping white phosphorus on civilians is different from shooting the guys who have been shooting you, but Lugo has been a killer for a long time and has so many lives on his conscience that he's probably lost count. But I think he doesn't view what he's done before as really "killing", maybe to try and justify the world's longest self-defense situation. It wasn't "really" killing, you see? He just defended himself, and bad people happened to die. Right?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

chitoryu12 posted:

You can also see some hypocrisy in Lugo's anger. He hates Walker because he "turned us into killers", but isn't that all they've been doing? The trio are responsible for easily over a hundred deaths by the time they reach the mortar. Obviously dumping white phosphorus on civilians is different from shooting the guys who have been shooting you, but Lugo has been a killer for a long time and has so many lives on his conscience that he's probably lost count. But I think he doesn't view what he's done before as really "killing", maybe to try and justify the world's longest self-defense situation. It wasn't "really" killing, you see? He just defended himself, and bad people happened to die. Right?
Are you saying a line has been crossed?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Fish Noise posted:

Are you saying a line has been crossed?
http://picardartclass.ytmnd.com/

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
I seem to remember the loading screen messages breaking the fourth wall as well with things like "these are war crimes, but it's just a game, right?" and "you could stop playing at anytime, but you dont want to do you?".

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
This feels... Relevant.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Beach posted:

I seem to remember the loading screen messages breaking the fourth wall as well with things like "these are war crimes, but it's just a game, right?" and "you could stop playing at anytime, but you dont want to do you?".

I've got a list of all the loading screens ripped right from the game files and the latter is nowhere on it. The former is close to one though! Coincidentally it shows up if you die in the very next combat segment in the next episode:

quote:

The US military does not condone the killing of unarmed combatants. But this isn't real, so why should you care?

In the case of this one though, I don't think it's saying "It's a video game so you shouldn't care about what happens in it", but more "Spec Ops: The Line is not real but this does happen in real life, so you SHOULD care, about when it happens in real life".

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 24, 2015

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

CJacobs posted:

I've got a list of all the loading screens ripped right from the game files and the latter is nowhere on it. The former is close to one though!

My bad! It has been a few years since I played, but I am really enjoying the LP. I actually first became aware of Spec Ops: the Line from a PAX east panel about story telling in gaming where they started the session by hammering home how unique this game is and how much it is worth checking out.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Now that the game has revealed itself, check out one of the songs used in the original trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0FAosDi4XA

This game can only get more cheerful!!! I still can't believe they used this song of all things, but then it was 18 years old at the time the trailer was released so in fairness most of the audience probably wasn't familiar enough with it to see the giant glaring warning signs about how the game would go.

(There's a YT playlist of all of the songs in the game's soundtrack, but we haven't seen all of them just yet).

For those who've played other military shooters: I am not familiar with those tropes, and was in fact surprised when I learned that this game serves as a deconstruction, because I thought these sorts of themes would be present in all military shooters by virtue of being war shooters. As the game progresses, would you guys care to point out things that are different, or seem to be referencing/directly calling out other shooters? I know there's articles etc. going through that but I think it'd be interesting to hear from people who see them while it progresses.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Imagine being the art director giving the assignment to do that cutscene.

Imagine being the artist who got that job.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

J.theYellow posted:

Imagine being the art director giving the assignment to do that cutscene.

Imagine being the artist who got that job.

"gently caress yeah this is metal as hell!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alternatively:

*knock at the texture artist's door* "Hey, Johnson, we're getting prepped to put in the textures for the white phosphorus scene. Have you been looking at the reference pics?"

(no response)

*knocks again* "Uh... hello? Johnson? Bob?"

"Oh, there you are, Bob." *shouts down the hall* "Yeah, I found him, he's under the desk in the fetal position again!"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I think when I got to this point I thought I had hosed something up especially because, as others have pointed out, the civvies appear as soldiers when you're using the mortar. I remember thinking "ok, so I gotta get that Humvee since it doesn't look like those guys are rushing out, no biggi-oh gently caress they all blew up, what did I do wrong :ohdear:" and so I walk out and see the destruction and thought to myself "I kinda feel like the radio operator in We Were Soldiers now, having just dropped napalm on my own people/non-combatants" on one hand. On the other hand I also felt "ok game, I see where this is going, and I've read Heart of Darkness AND seen Apocalypse Now, let's see how much further down the rabbit hole you're gonna take me".

Incidentally I have to wonder which is worse, napalm or white phosphorous

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Willie pete is way worse. Napalm is just jellied fuel, so it sticks to you when it burns. WP actively burns its way inside of you. Both are gruesome, WP is worse.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Yager is totally OK with not doing a sequel or even revisiting this topic because of the research they had to do for it. I can't say I blame them.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Aces High posted:

Incidentally I have to wonder which is worse, napalm or white phosphorous
Chlorine Trifluoride. nah, that never saw actual deployment

White phosphorous. Obviously, both have direct and proximity effects, but where napalm is a coating, sticking gel, white phosphorous is a penetrating solid that continues to burn internally and has additional chemical effects on survivors.
Napalm is also much more obviously fire. One look, "that's an incendiary weapon", questions start being asked.
But phosphorous, phosphorous doesn't have that characteristic look of roaring fire, so we can continue to use it on all sorts of scales and accompany it with lovely sanitizing words. People have been catching on over the course of the last decade, thus Willy Pete's appearance in SOTL, but we haven't reached an adequate level of disgust yet, and I sense we won't anytime soon.

Fish Noise fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 25, 2015

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

If I remember right, the main poor excuse rationale for WP's use is to provide smoke, heat or illumination for various vague and ill-defined tactical applications. This doesn't hold much water when you consider the aforementioned toxicity and capacity for agonising death it provides. Toxic chemical weapons being banned by international treaty, WP's deployment against either enemy personnel or civilians is a clearcut war crime. Then again, wars of aggression are also an international crime and torture and detention without charge is unconstitutional and contravenes human rights legislation the world over and nobody gives a toss about that either. :smith:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

White phosphorus remains in use despite being an awful incendiary/chemical weapon combo because the burning hot smoke provides an excellent screen for infrared sights (like common tank gunner sights). The heat makes it completely opaque to such sights, which is especially useful at night. As long as it gets excused as having non-killing reasons for usage, it's staying until enough people force a change.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"It's fine it tortures to death anyone caught in the affected zone because we aren't actually using it to kill people. Any damage is collateral, honest."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fun fact, there's actually a loading screen tip that says what White Phosphorus is that they have some fun with. I didn't die enough times in Episode 4/5 to put these both in but if you die during the first white phosphorus attack (the one with the heavy) you get this:

quote:

White phosphorus is a common allotrope used in many types of munitions. It can set fire to cloth, fuel, ammunition, and flesh.

If you die again in the fight that happens just after the end of the current video, it changes to this:

quote:

White phosphorus is a common allotrope used in your slaughter at The Gate. It can set fire to soldiers and the innocent civilians they are trying to help.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Count me as one of the people the scene just worked for. It never crossed my mind that anyone I was shelling was anything other than a combatant, and the twist caught me completely by surprise. Up until that point I was quite enjoying the game, but after that I really started paying attention. Absolute genius as far as I'm concerned.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

If you die again in the fight that happens just after the end of the current video, it changes to this:

Wow. The game is really fully of hidden things like that.

I have a lot of respect for Yager. I forget what they're actually doing these days but if it has half the artistry that went into Spec Ops: The Line...

EDIT: They're doing Dead Island 2. That could be...interesting.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 26, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I thought the WP scene worked in some ways, and fell short in others. As was previously pointed out, you'd already killed a whole lot of people to get to that point, so the game trying to make you feel bad about burning a soldier to death was a little incongruous with the trail of people you either face-stomped to death, executing them hors de combat, or left to bleed out in a sandstorm. I felt the game was at its best when it let the carnage speak for itself, like the woman who runs toward you in the Nest's Suq. If you accidentally gun her down, the game never comments on it, but you know you did something wrong. I understand that the game really wanted to have a big twist moment that hammered home how far things had gone, and I appreciate that they made it the result of a horrific miscalculation rather than a deliberate act, but it felt like a break from the slow ramping up of violence and rationalization and normalization of deviation that had lead to that point. That said the execution of forcing you to walk through the area you just shelled was fantastic.

TomViolence posted:

It contrasts really well with stuff like the AC-130 mission or controlling a predator drone in the modern warfare games, though, as it presents such weapons as the indiscriminate, unanswerable and brutal terror weapons they truly are.
If I had to pick an adjective to describe the AC-130, it wouldn't be "indiscriminate." Not everything is the way it appears in video games.

Wa11y posted:

I'd only ever seen the previous LP, and this one, never played it myself. But us fighting the Damned 33rd really seems a lot like the forced drama in romantic movies where someone misunderstands something, and the other party never even tries to explain why they did what they did, and then they separate (only to get back together in the final act). It's like, 3 Delta Operators show up, find one of the Damned 33rd, rescue him, and he's all "gently caress you guys, we're gonna kill you!" There's no asking why, there's no communication, just everyone assuming everyone else is out to kill them, and trying to kill everyone else, including the player characters just saying, "gently caress it, let's kill 'em then!" It just really seems forced.
I thought this was actually the most realistic part of the plot. No one really understands what's going on, and you spend much of your time reacting to confusing and contradictory cues, none of your decisions seem to make a difference, and most of your problems are caused by fog and miscommunication. It's a great simulation of the military experience.

TomViolence posted:

If I remember right, the main poor excuse rationale for WP's use is to provide smoke, heat or illumination for various vague and ill-defined tactical applications. This doesn't hold much water when you consider the aforementioned toxicity and capacity for agonising death it provides. Toxic chemical weapons being banned by international treaty, WP's deployment against either enemy personnel or civilians is a clearcut war crime.
That "either" is a common misconception. White Phosphorous isn't considered a chemical munition because its toxicity is extremely secondary to its incendiary effect and is not a typical wounding mechanism. (It isn't even considered an incendiary weapon when used as a smoke screen.) This applies to a lot of other things as well: military munitions are often packed with all kinds of nasty chemicals, from heavy metals to hydrazine power generators to the lead in bullets, most of which are toxic to various degrees. Using incendiary munitions against civilians is prohibited, but so is using any other kind of munition. Using incendiaries dropped from aircraft against military objectives is illegal when they are located in concentrations of civilians, and other incendiaries are restricted when the fire is likely to spread to civilian areas, but otherwise enemy combatants are fair game. (Source: Protocol III to the Convention on Prohibitions or Restrictions on the Use of Certain Conventional Weapons which may be deemed to be Excessively Injurious or to have Indiscriminate Effects)

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 26, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Dead Reckoning posted:

I understand that the game really wanted to have a big twist moment that hammered home how far things had gone, and I appreciate that they made it the result of a horrific miscalculation rather than a deliberate act, but it felt like a break from the slow ramping up of violence and rationalization and normalization of deviation that had lead to that point. That said the execution of forcing you to walk through the area you just shelled was fantastic.

To be fair; for reasons that I obviously cannot go into the story doesn't work without this moment or something like it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Dead Reckoning posted:

Using incendiary munitions against civilians is prohibited, but so is using any other kind of munition. Using incendiaries dropped from aircraft against military objectives is illegal when they are located in concentrations of civilians, and other incendiaries are restricted when the fire is likely to spread to civilian areas, but otherwise enemy combatants are fair game. (Source: Protocol III to the Convention on Prohibitions or Restrictions on the Use of Certain Conventional Weapons which may be deemed to be Excessively Injurious or to have Indiscriminate Effects)

So is this referred to as the Dresden Protocol or anything?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Aces High posted:

So is this referred to as the Dresden Protocol or anything?

No, that's actually a surgical protocol for treatment of corneal thinning.
(If anything, it would have been the Tokyo protocol.)

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Speedball posted:

Wow. The game is really fully of hidden things like that.

I have a lot of respect for Yager. I forget what they're actually doing these days but if it has half the artistry that went into Spec Ops: The Line...

EDIT: They're doing Dead Island 2. That could be...interesting.

Yager seems to be filled to the brim with employees who are passionate about their work and love life. Listening to intervews with them about any of their projects is always great, and their FB page is absolutely adorable with how cheerful it is.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So it's an atrocity but it's fine to use it as long as it doesn't hit too many unintended targets?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Neruz posted:

To be fair; for reasons that I obviously cannot go into the story doesn't work without this moment or something like it.

:haw:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

So it's an atrocity but it's fine to use it as long as it doesn't hit too many unintended targets?

Well, yeah, that's how the proportionality test works for every other weapon as well. It's not as though typical high explosive bombs are filled with an odorless gas that gently puts the enemy to sleep (which would be a violation of the Chemical Warfare Convention.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

anilEhilated posted:

It gets pretty :stare: once you notice the difference between the very generalized way people often thinks it works ("isn't this banned?"/"isn't this a chemical weapon?") and the carefully-worded-fine-print reality ("oh no everybody uses this stuff all the time"/"oh the only reason we don't use this anymore is because we have something better"/"oh no the kill mechanism isn't chemical, you're not supposed to live long enough to experience the poisoning effects"). I believe thermobarics are very fashionable now.

He has conveyed drooling in anticipation through text.

• Locked thread