Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wiggy Marie posted:

The 33rd is a battalion I believe, and numbers range from 300-1500 if I remember correctly.

This is correct, though the usual upper limit is 1200. But at that number, 1200 vs. 1500 is a pretty minor change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
It'd be interesting to keep a kill count, because while there seems to be an infinite amount of dudes I remember that OatmealRaisin spent 8 hours doing the FUBAR mode and by the end had 170 kills or so, so I wonder if the number just seems inflated because of how fast the game moves into each new battle?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think part of the reason it seems like you're killing so drat many people is because Walker and his buddies are just three regular dudes fighting an entire squad of other regular dudes. Like, they're not superhuman, they're not magical sorta-human creatures, they aren't wearing power armor, they don't have any special supernatural abilities, they're just a trio of normal military vets.

In Gears of War, for example, you tear through fauna of all different kinds at about the same rate but in that game you've got power armor and high powered future rifles and orange transparent chainsaws. People in the Gears universe are harder to kill than a plain ol human being would be. They are still just humans, but they're humans with an advantage. The enemy poses much smaller of a threat, so the fights seem like they have less impact even though they're the same length. Even with Walker's magical regenerating third person shooter health, other than that he's just a normal person with normal tech.

Wiggy Marie posted:

It'd be interesting to keep a kill count, because while there seems to be an infinite amount of dudes I remember that OatmealRaisin spent 8 hours doing the FUBAR mode and by the end had 170 kills or so, so I wonder if the number just seems inflated because of how fast the game moves into each new battle?

This is probably also a big part of it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 16, 2015

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The building with pianos must be loving high, given that we went down and still fight on the rooftops.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gantolandon posted:

The building with pianos must be loving high, given that we went down and still fight on the rooftops.

As we saw when you emerge into the chasm area, the new ground level after the storms is approximately the height of skyscrapers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gantolandon posted:

It is, you can see on the chapter select screen that it's much higher up than some of the surrounding buildings. It's the one closest to the camera. The hill on the far side of the building is an approximation of the one Delta exits through on their way to the gorge, after saving the civilians from the 33rd. It might have been built on a hill or something, hence the bigger pile-up of sand around it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 17, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
That image is a good reminder that the vast majority of Dubai is just straight up buried.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yo, all, Spec Ops The Line is 80% off in the Steam Summer Sale right now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Konrad is MIA and the Damned 33rd has gone rogue. To find Konrad, Delta must connect with Grey Fox, a team of CIA Agents operating in Dubai- one of whom has been taken captive by the 33rd. Delta descends into the gorge to find "Camp Truth" and rescue him.

Today you are going to have to make a choice. Let me know what you think Walker should do.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Save Gould, I don't remember how that one goes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sure, let's try to Save Gould.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
gently caress Gould, save the civvies!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Everyone saved the civilians let's see what happens when you try and save Mr. CIA man.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Save Gould. I saved the civvies on my own playthrough.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Save Gould.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I believe there are occasionally contextual commands for everything in this game. At one point, I'm not sure if it's this chapter or not, you can have Walker say, "Take out the guys by the T-Rex!".

Yeah. Hahahahaha. They didn't need that level of fidelity, but they did it!

Pyrogenesis
Feb 19, 2013

While I don't know anything about the actual plot of this game, the few things I've heard makes me vote for save Gould as a matter of principle.

Also, I really like your LPs CJacobs, especially your commentary style. Good stuff.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Save Gould. We need to get to the bottom of this.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Save the civilians!

Speedball posted:

I believe there are occasionally contextual commands for everything in this game. At one point, I'm not sure if it's this chapter or not, you can have Walker say, "Take out the guys by the T-Rex!".

I read somewhere that this kind of contextual dialogue was new and unique enough that there was a discussion about it at a game developer meeting. Unfortunately I can't search for the article now because I'm at work and anything even vaguely related to video game news is blocked, but it was a pretty cool thought.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Spudd posted:

Everyone saved the civilians let's see what happens when you try and save Mr. CIA man.

Heck with that, the OatmealRaisin LP saved Gould, and like Adams said, our mission here is to rescue people. Save the civilians.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Save Gould. Save 2 civvies or potentially save them all? Easy call.

EDIT: Link to the OatmealRaisin LP vid for this please?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Speedball posted:

I believe it happens in this video around 13:00 or so. I remember something about a t-rex anyway.

Fire Storm posted:

Save Gould. Save 2 civvies or potentially save them all? Easy call.

EDIT: Link to the OatmealRaisin LP vid for this please?

It's on the LP archive. I'm trying to avoid linking it in the thread to avoid spoilers.

For the people who want to save Gould, why? Do you think the civilians are less important? It's not like they asked for any of this. Gould helped Walker and co. but the CIA's goal was to cover up what happened in Dubai. If Gould wasn't currently under the 33rd's heel, who's to say he wouldn't be out in the killing fields doing the exact same thing?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Having never played this game and being that I am going into the LP blind, I'm gonna go with Save Gould, if only because I always try to think long-term in these situations.

Basically, my rationale is this:

Saving the civvies means they save two people, and learn nothing of what is going on, meaning everything Walker does from here on out is just as uninformed as before.

If they save Gould and start getting some intel, Walker'll have a much better idea (as obviously biased as the intel may be) of what is going on and what he can do about it. It sucks, but it's the lesser of two evils here.

This is really one of those "there is no right choice" options, so you take the choice that leads to the less lovely outcome.

Shei-kun fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 20, 2015

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

In most games, if you stick a grenade to someone, you feel proud and pleased with yourself.

In Spec Ops: The Line, when I stuck a grenade to a guy I was horrified and slightly sickened by my own actions.

I love this game.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
A few things.

Nice work on the death and choice edits!

I noticed where this gun landed when its wielder died and laughed every time the camera passed over it again.

That sickly green tinged desaturated lightspace when the phosphorous happened was simply excellent.

Have you done anything about the mouse acceleration? The procedure uses Gibbed's tools. I believe aim sensitivity can be adjusted too. I find that playability is improved, but it also makes experienced mouse users horrifically powerful.

I vote for choice paralysis. So many unknowns, constant new developments, not enough experience with what's going on. How can we possibly judge what is the right thing to do here? Well, if you can't do what's right, you can always do what's left.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I just wanna see if Gould knows Radioman so he could call in some fresh tunes for Walker and the boys. And to see if Gould will join us kick some rear end.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Gun talk: The 417 is based on the rifle of the same designation- the Heckler and Koch 417, which is a battle rifle. That, as you said, is functionally a combination of a sniper rifle and assault rifle.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Wedemeyer posted:

Save Gould. We need to get to the bottom of this.

Actually I want to change my vote to sneak around. Let's streamline this poo poo. Unless 'kill the 33rd' is the second out of three different choices? Sorry I'm not entirely sure :shobon:

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

You think you're here to save people? Kill EVERYONE. Humanely, of course. They'd thank you if they could.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
There are lots of civvies but only one Gould.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

TomViolence posted:

You think you're here to save people?
Uhh, yes? Mr. Violence, this is not a game about CEC Engineer Isaac "Babypunt" Clark. I understand how this can be confusing, especially since Delta Force Captain Martin Walker never uses stasis, but that's because he doesn't actually have a stasis module.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

IronSaber posted:

Gun talk: The 417 is based on the rifle of the same designation- the Heckler and Koch 417, which is a battle rifle. That, as you said, is functionally a combination of a sniper rifle and assault rifle.

Once I saw it in The Line; I've been in love with it and want to get it IRL.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I can't get all that emotionally invested in this game is all so feeling bad about civilians or mowing down American troops (I'm Australian in the first place :v:) just doesn't do anything for me. Learning more about the plot is for me.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Save the civilians. Let's be nice people :unsmith:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fish Noise posted:

Uhh, yes? Mr. Violence, this is not a game about CEC Engineer Isaac "Babypunt" Clark. I understand how this can be confusing, especially since Delta Force Captain Martin Walker never uses stasis, but that's because he doesn't actually have a stasis module.
This is either heavy caliber irony or a setup for really interesting experience on your part. Walker is there for a reason, that's about all that can be said for now.

Spudd posted:

I can't get all that emotionally invested in this game is all so feeling bad about civilians or mowing down American troops (I'm Australian in the first place :v:) just doesn't do anything for me. Learning more about the plot is for me.
Yeah, I pretty much felt the same way. We're all used to gunning down soldiers of various nations en masse in games, there's no reason why Americans should be different. That being said, this game must be one hell of a treat for the orthodox jingoists out there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's what I feel the game is kinda trying to say by having you fight the 33rd, and simultaneously something that's important to keep in mind. There AREN'T any non-American soldiers in Dubai. There never were. The insurgents aren't soldiers, they're citizens! They're just people, like the American soldiers are, except Walker can't be put in jail for life for killing them.

edit: The immediate question the game asks, even if it doesn't say so out loud, is "is it okay that the law values your life above the people that fall under different laws than yours, instead of both of you equally? What happens if the opposing force is from the same party?" Since Walker can't quite be taken to court because he's kind of busy at the moment, we don't have an answer for that from the game.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 20, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
There's so much about this game I really wanna talk about, but have to wait until the set pieces come up. :( Keep posting all the videos CJacobs! I really want to go into some poo poo here!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Fun fact: that fight with the heavy soldier? Completely optional. In my playthrough, when I saw him stomping through the phosphorus mist, I hid behind a pillar and didn't move. The guy's wearing a heavy suit so his ability to see is impaired and he'll just walk right past you, he doesn't come back. Also that setpiece is just cool with him walking in like that.

Also we got to see a small taste of one of my favorite environments in the game after the helicopter chase. Seriously I love how once you get indoors into the buildings that are still standing or haven't really been touched, that's where the deepest blooms of color are like they managed to keep the bleach of the sun and sand away.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

anilEhilated posted:

This is either heavy caliber irony or a setup for really interesting experience on your part. Walker is there for a reason, that's about all that can be said for now.

Fish Noise posted:

I, too, love this game, and look forward to the adventures of Isaac "add ME to the war crimes counter" Clarke in it!
It is a convergence joke. Templar be praised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrogenesis
Feb 19, 2013

CJacobs posted:

For the people who want to save Gould, why?

To try and make you make a bad decision.

• Locked thread