Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Something that's not a spoiler: The guys who made this game made it frigging gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So here's an important Episode 1 question.

Adams and Lugo says that there's someone watching you, probably, before you reach the signal. While you can see the three guys beneath the sand bus playing dead, do you ever see anyone in the distance or out of the corner of your eyes or anything in the lead-up to that?

There's a ton of details in this game and many are easy for one pair of eyes to miss, so I'm genuinely curious if there's any other people who've seen the mystery Stalkersayswhat.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

It's CJacobs. Adams and Lugo unwittingly broke the 4th wall!!! :tinfoil:

Y'know, if this were a Hideo Kojima game, or XCOM: The Bureau I'd buy this.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I swear I don't remember the yellow smiley-face on that graffiti in the sand-blasted news room before. I remember the skull-faced people, though.

Does the graffiti change? Maybe it does!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I plan on editing out my deaths to make the gameplay a bit smoother, but I'll probably still find a way to show them off somehow because they are pretty cool.

They are REALLY cool. One or two unique ones for every chapter of the game, I believe.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

I never realized just how much more interesting this game must be to play through when you're American.

Very interesting indeed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The buildings holding back walls of sand to create a giant _pit_ was an amazing visual. And now we've fallen into it!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Aumanor posted:

So, what's that make? Twelve, fifteen counts of self-defense with an automatic weapon? I'm losing count and I don't think the courts are gonna buy that anymore.

Ahahahaaha, that's one of my favorite Freeman's Mind quotes. Yeah, once he starts fighting human soldiers he starts running out of plausible excuses other than "these guys are idiots who don't know what the gently caress a "civilian" is!"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sure, let's try to Save Gould.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I believe there are occasionally contextual commands for everything in this game. At one point, I'm not sure if it's this chapter or not, you can have Walker say, "Take out the guys by the T-Rex!".

Yeah. Hahahahaha. They didn't need that level of fidelity, but they did it!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ohhhhh, you're doing this AND the RE: Revelations 2 thread at the same time. No wonder.

Great job on both, though. Thank you very much.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

If you die again in the fight that happens just after the end of the current video, it changes to this:

Wow. The game is really fully of hidden things like that.

I have a lot of respect for Yager. I forget what they're actually doing these days but if it has half the artistry that went into Spec Ops: The Line...

EDIT: They're doing Dead Island 2. That could be...interesting.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 26, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Neruz posted:

I'm not really the target demographic but I know how to disengage my brain and I know what the assumptions a CoD style FPS shoot mans game makes regarding the protagonist and the player so it worked on me anyway. After I finished putting the shattered remnants of my train of thought back together from this scene my response was basically "Oh poo poo this is going to end poorly."

It's also a nice way to skewer the fact that Americans have been completely making asses of themselves whenever they stick their noses into the Middle East for the past 30 years, even on supposedly peaceful missions. Yeah, they said the game wasn't political when they made it, but c'mon. The situation is not one being made in a vacuum. I rather like everything that Spec Ops: The Line questions about noble motivations, whether from a soldier's perspective or a video gamer's perspective.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

pkfan2004 posted:

I still love the use of color and environments. I really do. It's a beautiful carcass being picked clean by scavengers and survivors.

Absolutely, this game is gorgeous. Give the art team a raise, they did a hell of a job.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I freaking love the acting in this part.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Shoot the snipers. Pay the price of insubordination!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

And this is where things start getting really trippy. I love it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

He was getting too old for this poo poo anyway.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Favorite loading screen by this point: "You are still a good person."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's lots of times in the game where you see Konrad's face in the distance or in other ways. Remember the part where you hear two soldiers talking about chewing gum and treasuring peaceful moments? Konrad's face is on a billowing poster in the distance. When you get closer, it's the face of a woman on an advertisement.

There's really three Konrads in this game: The Hero Konrad that Walker idolizes, the villainous Scapegoat Konrad that Walker keeps talking to throughout the game on the radio, and Actual Konrad, who we hear in the intel drops. Actual Konrad seems mortified at everything that's happened, like he came in with the best of intentions but it all slipped way out of his control.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Is it too late to post this?

In my first playthrough of Spec Ops, I shot Konrad, then went on to murder Falcon-1. I'm a horrible person.

Also this is why that ending is my favorite ending.

Wow,, this is really good. Nice work.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I was kinda hoping you'd show off ALL the endings. None of them feel invalid to me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I might do a bonus video showing off a bunch of random stuff including the rest of the endings. The one I chose for the final main video is the one I'm sticking with as the "canon" end to the LP, though.

Oh, sure. You had me going for a while there. I thought at first maybe you'd surrender, but no. And then I thought maybe you'd win, but no.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You know how horrifying it would be if there was such a thing as a one-man army on the other side. You keep losing contact with entire squads and don't know why. Then when you do know why, it's too crazy to believe, and the more soldiers you throw at the guy the more you lose.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Dead Space 3 is kinda getting there. The wasters transform based on what parts of them you blast off, and there's like five different permutations they can change into depending on where you shoot them.

The J'avo in Resident Evil 6 start out as normal humans who turn into different types of monsters based on what parts of them mutate after you shoot them... they're weird too.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dark Souls is Punch-Out.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

FUBAR mode. That was the last trophy I needed to get a platinum when I played this game on PS3. Couldn't do it. Too hard.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Youtube is truly its own worst enemy sometimes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

poo poo. I'm sorry, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

YESSSSSS this will be good.

• Locked thread