Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Add me to the count of people who genuinely love this game. I honestly don't understand the criticism that the shooting is bad; the shooting feels like just about any other cover shooter to me, but with more atmosphere and better art direction to give it some more umph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also seriously just look at Ruined Dubai. The environments in this game tell a hell of a story by themselves and they're absolutely amazing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

chitoryu12 posted:

....so where do the primers and gunpowder come from?

Spite, tears, and man's inhumanity to man.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One thing I really like: Look at Walker's face during these gunfights. He's absolutely covered in sweat and he looks goddamn horrified.

Like, the thing about this game is, the shooting is 'normal', but the music, art, the attention to detail and acting in the characters' faces and combat barks, all of those combine to give it the visceral, unpleasantly dangerous feel it's going for.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 12, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The atrocity committed at this stage is committed for the reason a lot of atrocities happen during war: You have a very powerful weapon, you're in a lot of danger, you think you're surrounded by enemies, and that large group of people turn out to be civilians. That's why I never had a problem with the lack of choice; you're in a situation where, if you want to overcome the enemy you need to use the mortar. As Walker says when Lugo tells him there's always a choice, sometimes there really isn't. Yes, it's a trick and a prescient player could avoid making that mistake (and still gets forced to), but I like this scene more for pointing out the usual portrayal of war as 'no civilians ever get hurt unless an evil guy is shooting them on purpose' is kind of bullshit. Walker and company didn't mean to hurt those refugees, but that's what can happen when you're slinging around massively destructive incendiaries at any large group of people you see assuming they're enemy combatants.

The other touch I especially like is making you walk through the aftermath of your cool AC130 Gunship-esque section. "This is what that cool special weapons section did." has enough impact even if Walker hadn't accidentally torched a bunch of innocents.

Also note Walker's face. You can see the exact moment he snaps in that scene, right after Lugo blames him, and decides it's gotta be someone else it couldn't have been his fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wa11y posted:

I was talking about they guy they rescued then had a tense standoff with, who then rappelled down off the balcony and had the rest of the 33rd start trying to kill you.

Because the only other American soldiers he'd seen in Dubai who weren't 33rd were CIA agitators directly responsible for the deaths of his unit and his subsequent torture. Also, everyone in that situation is extremely on edge.

• Locked thread