Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

HomestarCanter posted:

Ha ha! :)

ha ha... :stonklol:

... :smith:

Your, shall we say, "enthusiasm" is going to make this game very interesting.

He's playing the game the way it was meant to be played :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Excellent, I have become well known enough to have a behavior named after me. Soon my internet fame will be complete!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's not that a fault line got ruptured and Dubai fell into it; Dubai is exactly where it used to be. The problem is that the level of the sand has risen dramatically and Dubai has literally been buried by sandstorms. The big chasm is there because in this part of Dubai the skyscrapers are close enough together to block the wind and support the sand enough to create a small sheltered area that didn't get buried.

The physics behind this are questionable at best, but drat if it don't look amazing.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gantolandon posted:

The building with pianos must be loving high, given that we went down and still fight on the rooftops.

As we saw when you emerge into the chasm area, the new ground level after the storms is approximately the height of skyscrapers.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
That image is a good reminder that the vast majority of Dubai is just straight up buried.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Dead Reckoning posted:

I understand that the game really wanted to have a big twist moment that hammered home how far things had gone, and I appreciate that they made it the result of a horrific miscalculation rather than a deliberate act, but it felt like a break from the slow ramping up of violence and rationalization and normalization of deviation that had lead to that point. That said the execution of forcing you to walk through the area you just shelled was fantastic.

To be fair; for reasons that I obviously cannot go into the story doesn't work without this moment or something like it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
They actually do something rather clever with the execution kill animations that you may or may not notice as the game goes on.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's also worth mentioning that if you're charging into this game on the heels of Call of Duty and other shoot mans games of the time you probably won't notice anything out of the ordinary until this scene. I was in full "I'm an FPS character none of the rules apply to me watch me make that man explode yeaaaaahhh!" mode and this scene was like slamming into the side of a mountain.

If you're paying lots of attention and\or analyzing the game as you go a lot of bits will probably fall short because the game does expect you to treat it as another modern FPS shooter and it expects you to have the inherent assumptions of a modern FPS shooter (the player is an unstoppable war god who disobeys orders and gets poo poo done) and if you don't have those assumptions or if you start noticing the cracks in the 'facade' that it presents at the start then it doesn't work anything like as well.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah you don't need to not be paying attention for the story to work best; you just need to be in the CoD style shootmans FPS mood. This game was absolutely targeted at the young male console FPS gamer demographic and if you are not part of that demographic at least peripherally the story will not work as well for you.

That's not to say it won't work at all; but it definitely won't have the same kind of impact.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Wiggy Marie posted:

I'm the exact opposite of all of these things and I still liked it! As a Heart of Darkness adaptation, plus a study of something else that hasn't explicitly come up just yet, I super "enjoyed" it. I'm curious to hear from the target demographic about their experience.

I'm not really the target demographic but I know how to disengage my brain and I know what the assumptions a CoD style FPS shoot mans game makes regarding the protagonist and the player so it worked on me anyway. After I finished putting the shattered remnants of my train of thought back together from this scene my response was basically "Oh poo poo this is going to end poorly."

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Dude I know multiple real people who fit right into the stereotypical 'jock CoD\FPS gamer' archetype to various degrees. Trust me that demographic absolutely exists in some capacity, I'm not sure how big it is but it's definitely there.

e: I would also argue that it wasn't stupid because it worked, but then again stupid things work all the time.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 28, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Evil Tim posted:

But do they play a lot of singleplayer and take the story totally seriously? I know people like that, but they don't do that part.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'take it seriously' but yeah they play the singleplayer; it was through one of them that I originally learned about Spec Ops.

Evil Tim posted:

Um, but it didn't work, the game didn't sell.

Didn't it? I did a quick google and found a lot of speculation but no actual hard official numbers as to how much it cost to make versus how much money it made.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
They do not however actually bother to say what those expectations were and thus gives us no clue as to whether or not they were reasonable expectations.

Further googling reveals no solid sales numbers at all, I've got one guy saying 770k copies were sold for example but nothing from official sources. So in light of the complete and utter lack of any data by which to make accurate judgements as to its financial success I can only judge Spec Ops by its critical success, and it is critically acclaimed and highly rated so it did well there.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Evil Tim posted:

Yeah, but that's not what I'm addressing, I'm talking about the claim that making it look like a generic shooter was a good idea to get at the demographic that buys shooters, even though there isn't really any evidence it achieved anything by doing that.

I didn't say it was a good idea, I said you could possibly argue that it wasn't a stupid idea since it worked but then again possibly not because just being stupid doesn't prevent something from working. I don't know enough about the game's circumstances to be able to judge whether or not design decisions were a good idea or not as the only real criteria of measurement I have is critical review scores which doesn't actually tell me a whole lot.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

The alternate reload animations were a genuinely brilliant idea and I really do love Battlefield: Hardline just because of that one thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah the sound effect is part of the reload.

All the weapons (I think all) in Battlefield: Hardline have at least one (some have multiple) alternate reload animations that play like once every thousand reloads. If you haven't seen them you should totally youtube them because some of the animations are just genius and I can only imagine how many people thought they were straight up hallucinating when the game was still new and no-one knew about the alternate animations yet.

• Locked thread