Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

wormil posted:

Sister nurse is all over the place characterwise. One episode she's an alpha sociopath the next she's compassionate and subordinate. Initially I thought she was inconsistent because she was pretending but maybe she's bipolar or something. Or maybe she's none of those things...

I think they basically established the guys runnning the show are differentiating between the townies and other... staff. So in that context it makes sense she would protect a fellow worker, but have disdain for the Pines residents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Frostwerks posted:

I'm actually enjoying this loving stupid show in spite of itself.

sums up the show perfectly, new thread title plz

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That actress who plays the woman CIA agent can do really freaky things with her face.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So why is the teacher (who works for the project) trying to undermine the authority of the sheriff (who they just appointed)?

I mean the show is not short on logic failures but I really don't get that one.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

steinrokkan posted:

That actress who plays the woman CIA agent can do really freaky things with her face.

Should have gotten the woman playing the young version to be the Joker on Gotham instead of that weird looking kid.

evenworse username posted:

So why is the teacher (who works for the project) trying to undermine the authority of the sheriff (who they just appointed)?

She fully buys into the first generation thing and doesn't want Ethan's ethics to infect someone who could be a leader in the future. They intentionally are trying to cause a gulf between child and parent, regardless. That part is at least coherent, she's a true believer in the project and kind of nuts, to boot.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Echophonic posted:

Should have gotten the woman playing the young version

It's the same woman.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

evenworse username posted:

She focuses on her specific mission to the exclusion of other priorities. Basically the adult generation is disposable if they can preserve the children.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

I think they basically established the guys runnning the show are differentiating between the townies and other... staff. So in that context it makes sense she would protect a fellow worker, but have disdain for the Pines residents.

Yeah I think it's the difference between the saviours and the saved. The first generation are innocent and are there to provide the future of humanity but their parents were the ones who rejected Pilcher and his message and were the ones responsible for the mess in the first place.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
So, the two children who were less than 3 feet away from the bomb had a few scratches, but the driver of the truck who was farther away died with burns over 90% of his body?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Brocktoon posted:

So, the two children who were less than 3 feet away from the bomb had a few scratches, but the driver of the truck who was farther away died with burns over 90% of his body?

Don't you dare come in here with your science and facts and poo poo.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Brocktoon posted:

They were closer and therefore immediately thrown through the side of the truck while the explosion blew through the middle of the truck and up into the cab. The driver had also doused himself in gasoline prior to getting in.

Or, I guess the contents of those crates were enough to funnel the explosion....

Nah, I got nothing.

I am enjoying this show a lot, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

steinrokkan posted:

It's the same woman.

Oh, well then. They did a really good job making her look older, apparently.

My Joker point still stands.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Echophonic posted:

Oh, well then. They did a really good job making her look older, apparently.

My Joker point still stands.

They actually made her look younger for the flashbacks. :eng101:

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Wow, the truck hit the fence so hard it started to rain!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

hollylolly posted:

Nah, I got nothing.

I am enjoying this show a lot, though.

I'm used to suspending belief and science and plot holes to be entertained. Having the explosion and driving the truck through the wall in back to back weeks was lame though. Eh, fun enough summer show to watch with my wife so I'm going to flip that logic switch off again and see how they wrap this up.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Uh, so the sheriff learned earlier about the stolen truck, figured they'd use it to crash the gate, so, he... did nothing ?

Why didn't he call the boss and they could have put snipers/vehicles at the gate?

Have that helo look for the truck?

Also wouldn't they notice a camera going down and watch nearby cameras / send someone over.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Uh, so the sheriff learned earlier about the stolen truck, figured they'd use it to crash the gate, so, he... did nothing ?

Why didn't he call the boss and they could have put snipers/vehicles at the gate?

Have that helo look for the truck?

Also wouldn't they notice a camera going down and watch nearby cameras / send someone over.

Wasn't this going on at the same time as all the behind the scenes/volunteer people were gathered and told the rules were changing and that camera-watcher #7 was going to be killed?

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Brocktoon posted:

I'm pretty sure they were lying behind a big thing of sandbags, or seeds or something.

I think the change in Nurse Pam's character is character development, she used to be a True Believer but she's starting to realize that they kind of did a bad thing and it's not working out too well. I thought her reaction to Reggie admitting to deleting stuff showed that she felt- or is starting to feel- the same way he did.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

anotherone posted:

I'm pretty sure they were lying behind a big thing of sandbags, or seeds or something.

I think the change in Nurse Pam's character is character development, she used to be a True Believer but she's starting to realize that they kind of did a bad thing and it's not working out too well. I thought her reaction to Reggie admitting to deleting stuff showed that she felt- or is starting to feel- the same way he did.

Yeah, but for it to happen over the span of 12 seconds, with literally no other impetus, was pretty lazy.

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

I'm watching this show with my girlfriend and It's driving me insane. It's like a montage of unlikely decisions and plotholes. But I can't stop watching. WHY.

Also I've been asking from the start why they bother publicly executing people when they could just freeze them. Instead of scaring dissidents into going undercover, they could just freeze up people who speak out and rotate in new citizens? As long as they repopulate with sex-brainwashed kids who cares if the adult populace lives bizzaro stephford wives life? They could just wake them up in the future and explain everything. The kids are on board already.

Let me run this loving town!

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

blarzgh posted:

Yeah, but for it to happen over the span of 12 seconds, with literally no other impetus, was pretty lazy.

Maybe she's been tortured by it for awhile, maybe even since the "A" group. But yeah we certainly haven't seen it.

What really doesn't make sense AT ALL is why Pilcher thought that people would be happy to find out that they'd been kidnapped and frozen for 2000 years.

I wonder if all of humanity is Abbies or if there are also Eloi living underground or something.

anotherone fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 13, 2015

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So did the books make this little sense too? Was it panned by critics or what?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kin posted:

So did the books make this little sense too? Was it panned by critics or what?

Haven't read them, but the novel "Pines" has bee characterized by one of the podcasts I follow as " Blake Crouch's "Pines", an amazingly tepid twist-based thriller that's about to be an amazingly cancelled television series." It's probably just aggressively mediocre.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Brocktoon posted:

We don't talk about the past here.

It's super lazy writing but they could have had a line about how lucky it was the kids were hiding behind reinforced concrete blocks or something.

The driver I thought the cultists killed offscreen which is why the other rebels didn't want to go to the hospital.

blarzgh posted:

That was one of the things that made sense to me since she laid out her reasoning. I don't think she has doubts about the program or cares much about the kidnapped town folk but once you start executing your loyal cultists and volunteers then you're going to create some serious problems like people asking how long is it going to be until I'm the one getting lynched.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Sister nurse doesn't just go from sociopathic to compassionate, she also went from assertive to milquetoast. Her entire character personality changed. Next episode she might be a librarian.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I don't even get why they need wayward pines when it seems like a shitload of people actually work for David Pilcher and are willing to follow him. Why deal with the headache of trying to build a town when you got all the right people right around you?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Harminoff posted:

I don't even get why they need wayward pines when it seems like a shitload of people actually work for David Pilcher and are willing to follow him. Why deal with the headache of trying to build a town when you got all the right people right around you?

Because then Pilcher doesn't get to build his creepy school where the only lesson is 'why you should get to loving'.

Alternatively: Because nothing in the dumb show makes sense (but it's weirdly watchable).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Harminoff posted:

It seems like the operation supporting Wayward Pines is bigger than Wayward Pines, and full of volunteers who know the score.

But yeah, it is weirdly watchable. Better than the strain.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Harminoff posted:

Because he wanted to rebuild humanity with the best genes possible and have certain numbers of specific jobs, like plenty of doctors and teachers, and it'd be pretty hard to get all "the right" people to volunteer, so he just crashes cars into them and puts 'em in a freezer.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Honestly I think this show was written by gathering a bunch of 10 year olds in a room, giving them the premise, and then firing anyone who asked any questions.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

violetdragon posted:

Because he wanted to rebuild humanity with the best genes possible and have certain numbers of specific jobs, like plenty of doctors and teachers, and it'd be pretty hard to get all "the right" people to volunteer, so he just crashes cars into them and puts 'em in a freezer.

Even then, you presumably have a plenty of intelligent people who would realize the stakes as soon as you showed them that captive mutant, and maybe some footage of the ruined cities.

Also if the goal was to capture the best America had to offer, what about the bartenders, and secretaries, and real estate agents...

The only explanation that makes some sense is that he wanted the humanity to survive not only as a species, but also as a society, as it existed during his lifetime. And I guess his refusal to allow a new, post-apoc. soc. to emerge is a major source of problems.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I think the real answer is that the writers hadn't even come up with the idea of the vast behind the scenes stuff until they were literally shooting those scenes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What, the book didn't have any of that stuff?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

dik-dik posted:

Honestly I think this show was written by gathering a bunch of 10 year olds in a room, giving them the premise, and then firing anyone who asked any questions.

This is an improvement from the 4 year olds writing Under the Dome.

Has anyone watched Zoo? I detest Patterson, and I don't know if I could handle another hatewatch between this, UtD and The Whispers, but it's tempting.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

GreenNight posted:

What, the book didn't have any of that stuff?

Sorry, I know that the book existed long before the show was written and likely included all this bullshit, but it really has never felt to me as though one episode was even conceptualized before the previous episode was edited.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Even then, you presumably have a plenty of intelligent people who would realize the stakes as soon as you showed them that captive mutant, and maybe some footage of the ruined cities.

Also if the goal was to capture the best America had to offer, what about the bartenders, and secretaries, and real estate agents...

The only explanation that makes some sense is that he wanted the humanity to survive not only as a species, but also as a society, as it existed during his lifetime. And I guess his refusal to allow a new, post-apoc. soc. to emerge is a major source of problems.

Pilcher mentioned that he wanted to preserve human culture but in truth, he's more interested in building and preserving his toy town than anything else.

dik-dik posted:

I think the real answer is that the writers hadn't even come up with the idea of the vast behind the scenes stuff until they were literally shooting those scenes.

Isn't this suppose to be pretty faithful to the book?

This show has a lot of problems but I think there's so much more they could do with it. I just want to watch Fallout:Wayward Pines.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

SteveVizsla posted:

This is an improvement from the 4 year olds writing Under the Dome.

Has anyone watched Zoo? I detest Patterson, and I don't know if I could handle another hatewatch between this, UtD and The Whispers, but it's tempting.

I couldn't get through episode 2 of Zoo. It is really, really, stupid.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

This is the most glaring thing (among a lot of other things) for me: why not just take Kate (the "resistance" leader, apparently) on a helicopter ride and/or show her a mutant? Problem solved.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Wouldn't work based on what we've seen from the meetings that she has had with the Dr. I'm pretty sure that she thinks that Ethan was drugged into seeing whatever he saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

nah I was screaming this at the TV too. Thankfully at some point Ethan yells at her her in the cell "I'd take you up there and show you but we dont have time!"

man what an idiot. Get one of the security guys to do it. Jesus.

• Locked thread