Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

Our press won't care unless they reach the semis and then they'll be hyped up massively before failing

Women's football has been hyped up a bit by the BBC which is what I'm largely going off. To be honest we're so desperate for a cup I doubt it matters much to the press now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I'm really hyped for this as a huge fan of the USWNT.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I might watch this if I don't forget to see if Costa Rica manage to make it out of that tough group.

Players to watch:

Shirley Cruz
She's probably the most successful costa rican footballer in history, won the women's CL twice with Lyon and plays for PSG now.

Gloriana Villalobos
She's like 15 but has played for the U-17 and the senior teams, has a great future and looks like she could be Bryan Ruiz's little sister.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
My wife would read me the riot act if she caught me watching this.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Pantsuit posted:

Women's football has been hyped up a bit by the BBC which is what I'm largely going off. To be honest we're so desperate for a cup I doubt it matters much to the press now.

The BBC have been all over women's football since Team GB™ did well at the Olympics (and coincidentally since they've sold the rights to every other sport). They've even been promoting Women's Sport Week. If England even so much as win a game they'll claim it as a victory for their campaign.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Can't wait to watch these sporty women on the BBC, my mouth is watering at the thought

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Hmm yes, women's football, that's definitely something I care about

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
ill be rooting for the anime babes cuz my bro in law is a real life anime dude even though he doesn't even like football and would rather watch basketball instead

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Women's World Cup 2015: One billion TV viewers expected

quote:

More than 400m viewers tuned into the Women's World Cup in Germany four years ago, and tournament organisers Fifa hope that increased interest from broadcasters and a captive North American audience can boost ratings in order to help the sport grow.

The opening match against China in Edmonton has sold more than 52,000 tickets, making it the best attended match in Canadian soccer history

Huh.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Aah yes... women. What can I tell you about women? First of all they are small and have long hair.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Not sure who to support. I know I don't want any of the 'superpowers' to win (USA, Deutschland, Nippon) so maybe I'll root for Canada or Brazil because Marta is the only player I know.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

I think France and Sweden were decent last time, too.

England will fail to get out of their group, thus matching the performance of the men's team and proving the women's game is just as good.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
England have Aluko and she's pretty good. I've seen a few of her golazos at least.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I have been to Moncton.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Today's matches - Group A

Group A is sort of intriguing. For sure, they do have one of the weaker groups overall, but it's not really clear who will gain the 2nd spot. Canada shouldn't mess up, but still...

Canada vs. China PR
6 PM EST
Referee: Kateryna MONZUL (UKR)
Assistant Referee 1: Natalia RACHYNSKA (UKR)
Assistant Referee 2: Sanja RODAK (CRO)
Fourth official: Stephanie FRAPPART (FRA)

Canada - As mentioned in the OP, their best player is Christine Sinclair, who was and probably still is one of the top forwards in the world. She, along with Abby, I think are slowing down a bit, but she's still a very intelligent striker and a good passer. She's also quite good at free kicks in the area.

Starting at 2:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RjKfMW24CQ

They were 3rd in the 2012 Olympics, and they have a pretty good coach in Herdman. I think their CMs are probably above average relatively, esp. their DMs, but not as good as, say, France's CMs (France's CMs are world class though).

China - Definitely not as strong as in the 90s when they were probably top 3 and also had Sun Wen (named player of the century) but IIRC, they supposedly did well in the AFC tournament so they may be making a bit of a comeback. That said, they don't seem to have done so well outside of the AFC... Recently tied Seattle Reign in a friendly.

New Zealand vs. Netherlands
9 PM EST
Referee: Quetzalli ALVARADO (MEX)
Assistant Referee 1: Mayte CHAVEZ (MEX)
Assistant Referee 2: Enedina CAUDILLO (MEX)
Fourth official: Melissa BORJAS (HON)

NZ - They're getting better. They made it to the playoffs last WWC, winning their first game. They usually make it through on the basis of strong, tightly compact defense then counter attacking. Their most famous player is probably Ali Riley to US fans, a very good fullback.

Netherlands - This is their debut in the WWC with the expanded tournament. They're not a bad team - it's just Germany, France, Sweden, and England have all historically been better as all of those are top 10ish teams. I don't think I've seen them recently, but IIRC, wing play seemed good. Most famous player is probably Manon Melis, who's done very well in Sweden's league (good league in women's soccer).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ1te6FEFEQ

Katreus fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 6, 2015

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Katreus posted:

probably just a few problems with actually scoring (forwards) and gk. Most famous player is probably Manon Melis, who's done very well in Sweden's league (good league in women's soccer).

I think you're forgetting Miedema. She's only 18 but already one of the best strikers out there. Top scorer in qualification as well.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Messyass posted:

She's only 18

Thank God for that

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Antares posted:

I think France and Sweden were decent last time, too.

England will fail to get out of their group, thus matching the performance of the men's team and proving the women's game is just as good.

Yeah, France has Louisa Necib who I recall as being both good at football and the kind of woman Pissflaps' wife would get very angry about if he watched this, as shown here:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Looking forward to some sick injuries from artificial turf

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
are there any underage women playing in this tournament who I should be ignoring completely?

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

matches start in the middle of the night in Europe, no way I'm gonna watch that live

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
*decides to support womens football*

"Honey what are you watching on TV?"
"A 15 year old girl sweating and moaning! Its awesome!"

*loses girlfriend and goes to prison for supporting womens football*

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Can we get some formations in code tags

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
One thing I have noticed in my many years of watching Women's football, they don't flop as much as the men.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Let's all watch this and not tell our wives.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Daric posted:

One thing I have noticed in my many years of watching Women's football, they don't flop as much as the men.

Sports bras were a hell of an invention.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
If you have some time, there's a documentary on the Canada WNT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO2EjyK8v1U

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Katreus posted:

If you have some time, there's a documentary on the Canada WNT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO2EjyK8v1U

Is there any nudity?

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

Chas McGill posted:

Not sure who to support. I know I don't want any of the 'superpowers' to win (USA, Deutschland, Nippon) so maybe I'll root for Canada or Brazil because Marta is the only player I know.
You should support Norway IMO, they crashed out of the last WWC and start this tournament as the plucky underdogs against reigning South East Asian Champions Thailand.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

The Thai ladies can really pass

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

men's football is dead, it's all on alex morgan and homare sawa now

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

African AIDS cum posted:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

African AIDS cum posted:

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

African AIDS cum posted:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
LOL. Fox built their Canadian studio right next to a seaplane base. When the planes are running you can't hear the talking.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's happening everyone, Christine Sinclair gonna score a triple hat trick and dunk right over China Public Relations.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Lol. The women's World Cup opening song by Sarah McGloughlin featured a literal mom and childe getting out of a minivan before cutting to commercial. Off to a good start Fox.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Gazprom

FIFA

Oh yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal