Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

gret posted:

Geez Canada just sent on a 17 year old.

Nice of them to give a small child a chance to play with the national team!

(Sounds like she's really good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's not like you don't have 17 year old boys in the men's world cup.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
C'mooooon, China. Throw Group A into chaos. :devil:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Lol penalty

DON RAPER
Jan 1, 2011

Let me ask you something
what do women want?
the fix is in

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Canada wins 1-0 on a penalty

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
At first I was like oh cool a gifted pen in the last minute for the hosts, but she got elbowed in the face so I guess that's an ok call?

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
canada are some maple leaf frauds

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Hahah

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
On one hand the attacker had no chance at controlling the ball or a strike on goal, but on the other you can't elbow people in the head. Imo not a pen, but not a terrible call

edit: that game was pretty hard to watch after the UCL final though. Don't see either team going that far. Watching Sinclair try to place a sitter with no pace on it was crushing. Her and Morgan are usually ice cold for the thorns in those situations.

mushi fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 7, 2015

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

DON RAPER posted:

the fix is in

FIFA :arghfist:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

*player runs into defenders arm*

PENALTY!

:lol:

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
here's the penalty foul from the reddit thread.

http://streamable.com/ivqw

after watching it a few more times, the more I agree with the decision. Defender had the ball blocked off from Leon, and she decides to clothesline Leon anyway. If she kept her arm down and Leon fell down it's like not a pen at all. If that happened 10 yards from the ball its still a pen.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
If nothing else, there seems to be more energy in the NZ-Netherlands match.

Edit: This game is much more fun due to the open nature of play thus far.

Katreus fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 7, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Katreus posted:

If nothing else, there seems to be more energy in the NZ-Netherlands match.

Edit: This game is much more fun due to the open nature of play thus far.

I dont have much to say but I just want you to know you're not the only one watching this game.

I uh... hope one of these teams score a goal

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Dutch goal keeper just ate some turf and not in the good way

Katreus
May 31, 2011

pik_d posted:

I dont have much to say but I just want you to know you're not the only one watching this game.

I uh... hope one of these teams score a goal

I think they will. Both sides seem to be knocking on the door.

TBH, I sort of hope these two teams go through in Group A.

Oh! There it is!

Edit: Nice strike. Great bend on it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Katreus posted:

I think they will. Both sides seem to be knocking on the door.

TBH, I sort of hope these two teams go through in Group A.

Oh! There it is!

Yesss that goal owned too

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

for US people watching, does it seem like the announcing is delayed compared to video feed? like the announcers aren't there but are calling it from a studio?

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Tetrix posted:

for US people watching, does it seem like the announcing is delayed compared to video feed? like the announcers aren't there but are calling it from a studio?

They are in Canada, but it could be typical FOX screwup.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Tetrix posted:

I was noticing this during the Canada game; supposedly only a few of the games will be done off-monitor and I wouldn't expect the opener to be one but who knows?

Kaglicious
Mar 31, 2011
This dutch keeper is doing excellent considering she's being (legally) roughed up on corners because she's only 5'6".

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

That could have been a penalty imho

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
oh man that was a peno

Katreus
May 31, 2011

Congrats to Netherlands. Good individual effort on the goal. NZ just couldn't put that final pass together. Felt they were rushing at the end / just not enough precision. Deserved win though - I think Netherlands had the edge just in general, even aside from the goal effort.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
As an American and as a fan of football I am of course going to support our team in the version of the World Cup that they have a reasonably good chance of, you know, actually winning.

Also treating this as a trial run of FOX's coverage of World Cups, since we're stuck with them for at least the next three World Cups of the mens' variety. During the action it's indistinguishable from ESPN's, because after all all FOX adds is the commentary, FIFA's iron fist supplies the television feed and audio, and mandates GRAPHIC UNIFORMITY WITH ALL OTHER NATIONS.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
where are all the gifs of the womens

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

corn in the fridge posted:

Tumblr, usually

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

trem_two posted:

Tumblr, usually

Too bad the forums have been de-tumblrfied.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Canada's penalty was dodgy but 'I've seen them given'.

Great goal from Mertens (Martens?).

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

corn in the fridge posted:

Canada's left back has a tasty left foot...and the rest of her isn't bad either!!!!(crap at football tho)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Katreus
May 31, 2011

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CG3IEUhUcAAwwSn.mp4

June 7 - Group B

Pretty cut and dried group. Strangely, an easier group than A. I don't see Thailand or Cote d'Ivoire able to keep goals out of their net though.

Norway vs. Thailand
1 PM EST
Referee: Anna-Marie KEIGHLEY (NZL)
Assistant Referee 1: Sarah WALKER (NZL)
Assistant Referee 2: Lata KAUMATULE (TGA)
Fourth official: Ledya TAFESSE (ETH)

Norway - Dominant in the 90s and early 2000s, Sweden overtook them later on. Making a comeback though lately. They've got a veteran GK in Ingrid Hjelmseth, and they have an amazing up and coming player, 19 year old Ada Hegerberg, who plays for Olympique Lyon (a great women's soccer team, has owned the French league for years and won several WUCL championships).

Thailand - Won 5th place at the AFC Women's Asian Cup and qualified for their first ever WWC. That was a great success for them - the last time they made it out of the 1st round was in the 1980s - so their football fed announced they will be investing more in their team. I've seen them play once on TV, and like most Asian teams, they play like a budget Japan. That said... they should be happy to be at the WWC because they're probably going to be last in their group. I don't know if they have the conditioning or defensive discipline to stay compact, defend and counter attack, and keep scores low.

Germany vs. Cote d'Ivoire
4 PM EST
Referee: Carol Anne CHENARD (CAN)
Assistant Referee 1: Marie Josee CHARBONNEAU (CAN)
Assistant Referee 2: Suzanne MORISSET (CAN)
Fourth official: Michelle PYE (CAN)

Germany - One of the powerhouses in the tournament. 2 time world cup winners. They have a couple players out but the depth of their squad is such that it's not going to hurt them much. They have a pretty veteran and top class GK in Nadine Angerer, who is one of the best in the world at her position and was 2014 world player of the year due in large part to her Euro performance. They've also got some really young but very good players. If I had to pick one though, I'd say keep an eye out for Dzsenifer Marozsán, a very good 10.

Cote d'Ivoire - Another debutant! They're ranked 67th in the world and 6th best team in CAF, but managed to place 3rd in the recent CAF Women's Championship. I haven't seen them play before. Looks like they've got a couple players in the Russian league, which is an OK league. Or, at least, I have seen Russian teams make it to playoffs in WUCL. Like Thailand, enjoy the experience.

Katreus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 7, 2015

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
1:0 Trine Rĝnning free kick

Katreus
May 31, 2011

Wow. That was some really nice passing in the box to get the goal. 2:0 Norway.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
That was a nice shot.

Norway is dominating but I think that's more a factor of Thailand looking really loving uncoordinated right now.

edit 3-0. niiiice.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
That was a nice goal by Norway there

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Norway are playing well and all but this Thai team has been really really really bad so far.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

That defender ducking out of the way of the cross for the third is some A-league blooper level material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I mean ffs the defender literally ducks out of the way of the cross for that third goal, embarrassing stuff.

• Locked thread