Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

I'm re-watching this after hardcore binging THE OA. and I've gotta say OA was really inspired by some shots from this - even the Prarie actress reminds me the actress who plays Nomi.

Anyone watching both and seeing the same thing I am or is it just "woah these shows are metaphysical and strange and your dumb brain wants to make a connection no matter how tenuous"?

I had forgotten just how long the first episode of SENSE8 is and how strange it can seem to a newcomer. we are thrown in the mix of all these stories, so many locations, so many characters, and asked to hang on while they eventually come together, slowly, across the globe. Like the first episode of Heroes, in a lot of ways. Scenes that stick out : the chicken landing on Sun's desk, everyone hears Will's siren as he rescues the kid, going so far as to have Wolfgang think the cops are coming to catch him mid-safecrack.

A second watch is necessary, esp if you weren't really listening on a good sound system the first time. You will catch little audio cues that you didn't before, that help flesh out scenes that might have been confusing that last time thru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

darth_pizza posted:

I'm re-watching this after hardcore binging THE OA. and I've gotta say OA was really inspired by some shots from this - even the Prarie actress reminds me the actress who plays Nomi.

Anyone watching both and seeing the same thing I am or is it just "woah these shows are metaphysical and strange and your dumb brain wants to make a connection no matter how tenuous"?

I had forgotten just how long the first episode of SENSE8 is and how strange it can seem to a newcomer. we are thrown in the mix of all these stories, so many locations, so many characters, and asked to hang on while they eventually come together, slowly, across the globe. Like the first episode of Heroes, in a lot of ways. Scenes that stick out : the chicken landing on Sun's desk, everyone hears Will's siren as he rescues the kid, going so far as to have Wolfgang think the cops are coming to catch him mid-safecrack.

A second watch is necessary, esp if you weren't really listening on a good sound system the first time. You will catch little audio cues that you didn't before, that help flesh out scenes that might have been confusing that last time thru.

Actually a friend and I have watched Sens8 and are fans, and we tend to chat a bunch when we are watching a series. He was convinced for a while that the beginning of The OA was the founding of a cluster, until we got deeper in the series.

(Also, the actress who played Prairie was a show creator and writer too, BTW.)

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 7, 2017

• Locked thread