Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

So the Matrix Siblings have made a tv show, and it is about to launch on the netflick.

There are a whole bunch of characters but only eight that actually matter.

Will Gorski, a Chicago cop haunted by an unsolved murder

Riley, an Icelandic DJ with a troubled past that made her run away from her home to London

Capheus, a compassionate Matatu bus driver in Nairobi with a strong sense of justice, who is desperately trying to earn money to buy medicine for his mother dying of the AIDS virus

Sun, a Seoul businesswoman and burgeoning star in the underground kickboxing world, who becomes accused of embezzlement thanks to her brother

Lito, a famous Spaniard actor living in Mexico City who maintains in secret a same-sex relationship with a character named Hernando, out of fear of ruining his career

Kala, a Mumbai pharmacist who is also a believer of God that faces the unfortunate situation of having to marry someone she doesn't love

Wolfgang, a Berlin locksmith and safe-cracker, who has unresolved issues with his father and participates in organized crime

Nomi Marks, a San Francisco trans woman political blogger and hacker, who must have extensive brain surgery to save her life

12 episodes re going to drop any minute now, I feel the test of these rules worked well in the Daredevil thread so unless Deadpool decides otherwise these are the spoiler rules in this thread.

Deadpool posted:

:siren: Netflix Rules Update! :siren:

OK, here's what we're going to try as a test. Some people are not happy with the go-wild aspect of the Netflix threads so we're going to try a different approach. If you have general thoughts on the show that's fine. If you are doing specific reactions to episodes they will go into labeled spoiler tags with the episode you are on or have completed for the first 72 hours. If you haven't gotten to that episode then don't click on the spoiler. This is just a trial for Daredevil and if it doesn't work we'll just go back to the old way from now on. And now an example post:

So far the show is good. I enjoy this show so far through episode 10. It is a fine television program.

1x10
The thing that happens in this episode certainly happened. And how it tied back into what they were saying in episode 3 was definitely a cool thing. I think the villain that appeared in this episode and did the villainy thing was bad. He should be punched by the Daredevil and have to go to jail.

The 1x10 is just the episode you're up to. You can write all about episode four if you want, but if you let something slip that came out later and you forget and it maybe happened in episode six that's why you still put episode 10 and not episode 4. Get it? Hope it works. And if not sorry!

and for anyone just joining us, the 72 hours are over, spoiler tags for season 1 are no longer required but I suppose please use them when discussing news of any future seasons.

BSam fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"a trans hacker? grrrr!" - that one guy

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

pumped for sense8

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

From somewhere on facebook it tols me that it's going to be there in about 45 minutes!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm gonna watch all the episodes in backwards order first and compare my reactions to people who watch it forwards

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was going to live watch this but my free netflix ran out. So now i have to download it in HDizzle like a pleb on slow internet... gently caress.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

:siren: IT'S HERE, THE ABOVE SPOILER POLICY NOW APPLIES :siren:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I don't want spoilers, but I do want to know if it's worth watching. Anyone seen any early reviews of it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's one on AV Club that gave it a B-. Not sure how many episodes they saw.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

I don't want spoilers, but I do want to know if it's worth watching. Anyone seen any early reviews of it?

Not as yet, but I'm watching already and quite drunk, so my posts over the next few hours will be quite unfiltered.

So far, don't mind it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
VERY character heavy. First episode spends five minutes setting up the concept in the vaguest possible terms and then they go all in on the individual character stories, with occasional broad lip service paid to the idea that they're starting to connect to each other. So the show pretty much lives and dies on how you feel about spending time with these people. And, well, The Wachowskis are the living embodiment of "Your Mileage May Vary."

As far as I care? I liked that first episode. A lot. I honestly didn't care about not knowing what the gently caress, I was just happy to roll with the punches...the gorgeously shot, invigorating punches.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DivisionPost posted:

VERY character heavy. First episode spends five minutes setting up the concept in the vaguest possible terms and then they go all in on the individual character stories, with occasional broad lip service paid to the idea that they're starting to connect to each other. So the show pretty much lives and dies on how you feel about spending time with these people. And, well, The Wachowskis are the living embodiment of "Your Mileage May Vary."

As far as I care? I liked that first episode. A lot. I honestly didn't care about not knowing what the gently caress, I was just happy to roll with the punches...the gorgeously shot, invigorating punches.

Yeah, I really enjoyed that first episode too. I've got a lot of respect for a show that doesn't feel the need to explain everything in its pilot. We're learning about this with the characters so we get to share that experience. And the characters themselves are likeable as well (especially the Kenyan guy).

E1: I was really sad when skeevy drug dealer's heartwarming story was just a sales pitch to get Riley on meth or whatever it was :(

Edit: Also that opening credits sequence is gorgeous

Rarity fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 5, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
E1 That soggy strap on was a nice touch...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Three episodes down, still liking it.

E3 For all that Nomi's hospital staff are blatantly shady, I'm pretty sure her girlfriend is shady as well. We never saw the photo that she claimed Nomi had taken.

Lito's beard is amazing.

The ending to the third episode was gorgeous

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I like it, though I can totally see why people are going to hate it. It's sort of hypnotic and obtuse, but not impenetrable. In a completely pretentious way of putting it, it's more like an experience. I'm just sitting and taking it in instead of worrying about the moving parts.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Just finished episode 4 I'm all in on this now this poo poo is great

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm about 20 mins behind you, it's loving right up my alley.

Episode 6 That was some weird tantric orgy scene....

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 5, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This is really good!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
E2: Lito's boyfriend owns so goddamn much

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 5, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

DivisionPost posted:

E2: Lito's boyfriend owns so goddamn much

Hernando is the best.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Hernando is the best.

Still E2: Mother of GOD that whole scene with Daniela finding out about Lito and Hernando. Funniest loving thing I've seen all year.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I was liking it before but after that montage in episode 4 I'm sold.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Glad this is turning out to actually be worth watching.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
Does this have kung fu?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like this. It's very interesting and the amount of different/stories/characters does a good job of making up for the scripting, which is devoid of any kind of subtlety or nuance but not in such a way that it becomes an irritation. Really hope it gets more nuts as it goes on - I think it'll live or die on whether it sticks to boring network TV plots or go for something more surprising.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Sex Tragedy posted:

Does this have kung fu?

Tae Kwon Do in a truly mind bending sequence.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

E2: is this UFLS thing going to be the midichlorians of this show?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
E3: He is Van Damme. :unsmith:

Owns. Owns. Owns. If this was a weekly show that would be thread title material.

Rarity posted:

E3 For all that Nomi's hospital staff are blatantly shady, I'm pretty sure her girlfriend is shady as well. We never saw the photo that she claimed Nomi had taken.

Well I'm pretty sure Nomi didn't hallucinate Amanita because we're a little bit in Amanita's POV as well for that scene (the nurse keeping an eye on her phone time). But if she's lying about the picture, that begs the question: how does she know about Jonas?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
E5:The Lito and Sun 'visits' are hysterical..."There is a Korean woman standing next to me who is not crying...THE SAME WAY I AM NOT SCREAMING!"

DivisionPost posted:

Well I'm pretty sure Nomi didn't hallucinate Amanita because we're a little bit in Amanita's POV as well for that scene (the nurse keeping an eye on her phone time). But if she's lying about the picture, that begs the question: how does she know about Jonas?

Jonas was there to make the eye to eye connection so he could 'visit' I think.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finished...

e12 So whispers is still after Will, and he's gonna be doped until season 2?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This show deserves a much better OP. It's actually quite good. Might be my favorite thing the Wachowskis have done since The Matrix.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Ubiquitous_ posted:

This show deserves a much better OP. It's actually quite good. Might be my favorite thing the Wachowskis have done since The Matrix.

Have they done anything else worthwhile other than the Matrix?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

dik-dik posted:

Well, no. Which makes Sense8 such a surprise.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dik-dik posted:

Speed Racer was basically just a live action anime, and was visually beautiful. It also had John Goodman wrestling a load of ninjas, and nothing that has John Goodman wrestling ninjas can be bad. Cloud Atlas was pretty good too, if somewhat tiring to watch.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Speed Racer was great and I really liked Cloud Atlas.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
That sure is a wet strapon

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I kind of feel like the fact that I'd read the book ruined Cloud Atlas for me. I still think it would have been better as a 12 part mini series that mirrored the structure of the book.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Don't forget Bound, their first film; a cool little noir riff, made on the cheap as a calling card. It's actually on Netflix if you've never seen it.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
e8 The bike/smart car chase with the feds was hilariously tech liberal. So silly it wrapped back to awesome, plus the sensates finally starting to use their powers collectively got me so excited for future team ups. Together they would make a Bond style ultimate spy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

E4: Nomi's escape was pretty sweet

• Locked thread