Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Combat Pretzel posted:

They're actual Germans. All relevant actors for the bits in Germany were Germans. It's kind of curious tho, that they went out of their ways to ensure all that, and have them speak English all the time (save the nightclub toilet bit). Usually it's US actors speaking bad foreign languages or jibberish and they put subtitles under it.

I respected the choice. Granted, The Americans has plenty of scenes performed entirely in Russian, but here it makes sense because the show kinda treats its audience as the 9th member of the cluster; every scene in the show involves a clustee (or Jonas, but only when he's visiting) who can understand the others completely because they're all in each other's heads. If you use subtitles, your eyes are inevitably drawn to the text pulling your attention away from the performance. So it was best to keep it to one language and subtly imply that everyone is speaking their native tongues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also the dialog isn't very good so emphasizing it by having people read it would make the show worse over it almost entirely being there just to reinforce a mood

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DivisionPost posted:

That's probably why she's only in the show for two scenes: because Nomi and Amarita aren't married (possibly because this was conceived while Prop 8 and DOMA were still in flux, but even if my timetable's off (I'm sure it is) they don't seem to be into domestication like, say, Lito and Hernando), the story required a family member to get the hospital to commit her. And the only way she'd ever do that is if she was, in the parlance, 100% a dick.

You want all your characters to be as fleshed out as possible, but sometimes form has to follow function.

the argument that a plot development was necessary (it wasn't, it would be totally believable that the Great Grand Conspiracy could just hold Nomi against her will and/or could've somehow duped her otherwise compassionate sister into signing over rights from making her truly believe that Nomi was deeply mentally ill and needed help immediately) doesn't excuse that plot development from being badly written

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If I had a bunch of people singing some 4 Non-Blondes in my head, I'd tell 'em to shut up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

no don't you get it lycus they're singing what's going on because they're unaware of what's going on, don't you see it's a really good needledrop because they're....wondering what's happening! What's going on! see it's supposed to be a upbeat song but because you see nomi singing it while strapped to a bed it's meant to be ironic and confusingly depressed

do you get it lycus, do you, do you get what the intention of that montage was

eh you probably didn't I'll just title the episode "What's Going On" just to make it more clear

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

precision posted:

Why isn't the title of this thread "VAN drat"?

Cause I didn't see the show til today. Tossing up between referencing that of the What's Up song.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
"What's Going On" or "Van drat always comes back" are both equally good. Also, I don't care what the song is, because the montage works independent on of it, so long as it's some popular and cheesy song that can be sung loud. Watching Kala, Capheus, Wolfgang and Sun get really in to it is the important part, not what they're singing.

Kala's small "Oh dear" afterwards, along with the really uncomfortable squirmy face she makes when she realized she'd been caught are great too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

If I had a bunch of people singing some 4 Non-Blondes in my head, I'd tell 'em to shut up.

That scene was absolutely awful. I thought that as a race we had decided to forget that band. :(

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Sense8: What is best in life?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

precision posted:

That scene was absolutely awful. I thought that as a race we had decided to forget that band. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32FB-gYr49Y
:colbert:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
The 9th character of this show is the bus.

EP12: Where is a gif of of the bus round house kicking the motorcycle?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

VAN drat owns really hard

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wonder if Capheus will have a new van, a Van drat Mk II in season two? A bigger and nicer one like the Bat Van, or if he'll just have spruced up the Van drat a little or what.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Capheus had the two most badass moments in the whole series, and they were back-to-back in the same episode. Dude rules hard. Though admittedly he had a lot of help from Sun for one of those moments

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Toxxupation posted:

the argument that a plot development was necessary (it wasn't, it would be totally believable that the Great Grand Conspiracy could just hold Nomi against her will and/or could've somehow duped her otherwise compassionate sister into signing over rights from making her truly believe that Nomi was deeply mentally ill and needed help immediately) doesn't excuse that plot development from being badly written

Who said I was excusing it? Bad is bad. I'm just pointing out its place in the bigger picture.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

precision posted:

Capheus had the two most badass moments in the whole series, and they were back-to-back in the same episode. Dude rules hard. Though admittedly he had a lot of help from Sun for one of those moments

That scene is one of the best parts of the show for sure when he levels those guys :drat: .

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
It was a good series. I got hooked after the third episode, I think.

And while the sense8 parts where they visit or possess(?) each other were interesting - and a lot of them are highlights for the series, the stories for each character, their personal dramas and their interactions with their friends (and enemies) outside the major plot arc were better handled and more interesting for the most part. Maybe it was because the series intentionally seemed to focus more on those, that I started to enjoy them more.

Which is why, towards the end, when they started to kind of rush the main arc to do something with it, these personal dramas were reduced to minimum, and some of the characters either got skipped or seemingly got mere seconds of appearance. I wouldn't want the series to become just a soap opera, either (but I don't really think there's such danger from what I saw).

If there's a second season, I'd like for them to keep the balance between the two, more like they did in the middle episodes.

It would be great to have another Misfits sort of series (and there seem to be some influences from Misfits) where the special abilities/ powers play some role in the story, but the "showing off" part is pushed almost to the background in favor for more interesting character interactions.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

precision posted:

That is why Sun is the best character, bar none. Capheus is great though. Van drat great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've kind of been going back and forth about whether I like this show or not throughout the entire season, but holy poo poo, the entire last 10 minutes or so of episode 10 blew my mind :stare: It was worth watching the entire thing just for that one scene.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Finished the first season today and I...liked it?

The show is pretty ham-fisted and basically screams its message in every scene, but dammit I kind of dig the Wachowskis' earnestness. They obviously were still on a David Mitchell kick after Cloud Atlas, and the show actually reminded me a lot of his latest book, The Bone Clocks. It did feel like a lot of nothing happened for most of the middle of the season, but the last 3 eps were pretty great and I did end up liking all the characters by the end.

It is kind of funny how some of the 8 have way more useful skills than others. Like, Sun pretty much saves everyone's rear end all the time.

No idea what they would do for a 2nd season, though.

Edit: Van drat vs motorcycle was genuinely awesome.

Edit 2: So many shots of babies coming out of vaginas.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Deadpool posted:

:siren: Netflix Rules Update! :siren:

OK, here's what we're going to try as a test. Some people are not happy with the go-wild aspect of the Netflix threads so we're going to try a different approach. If you have general thoughts on the show that's fine. If you are doing specific reactions to episodes they will go into labeled spoiler tags with the episode you are on or have completed for the first 72 hours. If you haven't gotten to that episode then don't click on the spoiler. This is just a trial for Daredevil and if it doesn't work we'll just go back to the old way from now on. And now an example post:

So far the show is good. I enjoy this show so far through episode 10. It is a fine television program.

1x10
The thing that happens in this episode certainly happened. And how it tied back into what they were saying in episode 3 was definitely a cool thing. I think the villain that appeared in this episode and did the villainy thing was bad. He should be punched by the Daredevil and have to go to jail.

The 1x10 is just the episode you're up to. You can write all about episode four if you want, but if you let something slip that came out later and you forget and it maybe happened in episode six that's why you still put episode 10 and not episode 4. Get it? Hope it works. And if not sorry!

:siren: 72 hours have passed, spoiler tags for the discussion of season 1 are no longer required. :siren:

and with that, i'm checking out of this thread, see you all in 5 episodes.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The last ep disappointed me because it was almost entirely Whispers-plot but I liked the incredibly convenient Megaman-style gauntlet of 8 challenges each requiring a particular set of skills that Will had to endure to reach the final boss. I'd like to see those applied to the character subplots more.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
One minor point that I really liked (and seems to point the road ahead next season) : Sun's company seems to be selling the drugs produced by Kala's company, and the embezzeling carried out by Sun's brother is probably at least partially responsible for Capheus's predicament.

I'm hoping that, next season, we'll see Kala doing things to help Sun get out of prison. Be pretty cool.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I do just want to say that my favourite moment so far is "I can't drive?" "I can!" coupled with Will and Sun helping Nomi just before.

Which if anything makes me look forward to this part so much.

Argue posted:

I liked the incredibly convenient Megaman-style gauntlet of 8 challenges each requiring a particular set of skills that Will had to endure to reach the final boss.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Will finally "meeting" Lito was pretty great.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Open Source Idiom posted:

One minor point that I really liked (and seems to point the road ahead next season) : Sun's company seems to be selling the drugs produced by Kala's company, and the embezzeling carried out by Sun's brother is probably at least partially responsible for Capheus's predicament.

I'm hoping that, next season, we'll see Kala doing things to help Sun get out of prison. Be pretty cool.

I noticed that too. I have a feeling that those connections are there on purpose as part of the larger five-year plot they apparently have in mind.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've honestly did not notice any of that. It's pretty cool that they added this (subtle I think) connections.

I'll probably rewatch the series, at some point.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

AbstractNapper posted:

I've honestly did not notice any of that. It's pretty cool that they added this (subtle I think) connections.

I'll probably rewatch the series, at some point.

It's a lot more complex than that. I've spoilored it in case you want to figure it on your own:

- Sun's family company is about to broker a deal with a pharmaceutical company. Sun's brother is embezzling large sums of money from the company for illegal activities.
- Kala is a pharmacist who is warned of watered down medicine at a meeting. The priest at the temple warns Kala that her father-in-law is involved in several illegal activities, including the drug trade.
- Capheus deals with watered down AIDs medicine when buying from the black market. Silas Kabaka appears to be involved in the drug trade.
- Wolfgang learns that the diamonds he stole from his uncle come from Mumbai, India.
- RIley get tangled up in a drug deal involving Wolfgang's family.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I kind of wish there wasn't a grand plot/Whispers at all, because it could easily turn out to be both the worst and most prominent feature of seasons 2+. Be nice to be wrong though.

e: basically I hope this show doesn't go all Orphan Black

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I'm at episode 9 currently and you know... This series is pretty good. If someone just saw episode 1 and isn't onboard then I gotta say it definitely had a slow start and handled the social themes and issues it's addressing in a way too front loaded way and came off pretty heavy handed. Now that it's got it's groove on it's handling them way better too.

The soundtrack is pretty great too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

precision posted:

I kind of wish there wasn't a grand plot/Whispers at all, because it could easily turn out to be both the worst and most prominent feature of seasons 2+. Be nice to be wrong though.

e: basically I hope this show doesn't go all Orphan Black

Yea, I like the show but I think I'd have liked it more if there had no been no big, bad evil man for them all to fight but instead had concentrated on the clash of cultures of these 8 disparate individuals and the lessons and strengths they can take from each other as well as the oddity they seen in the other's lives. While the team up fights were cool, I think the best parts of the show were seeing their wonder and fascination with appearing in new places they'd never been or just sitting and talking to each other about their problems and how they relate to each other. Kala and Capheus watching a Van Damme film, Capheus and Sun chatting in the plaza, Nomi and Rito in the museum and so on.

By contrast, just about everything to do with Whispers and Jonas was boring poo poo. The only good thing to come out of any of it was the fights, which could easily have been included in other ways.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Was anyone else a little bugged by Sun constantly being half-blinded by her hair?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Lycus posted:

Was anyone else a little bugged by Sun constantly being half-blinded by her hair?

Well, I am guessing many of us have watched Daredevil, so.

Also, I'd agree with those saying that the show should not go the route that Orphan Black took in its second season. It needs its slow pace and simple stories that the others sense8's can connect and help with.

Come to think of it, if there's a second season, they should just find a way to eliminate the old generation cluster in one fell swoop in the first episode; that cluster from what I can tell is corrupted as gently caress and full of generally unpleasant people. And very little was done for us to like Jonas or Daryl Hannah (especially Hannah's character was a real jerk at some points - for the few seconds of her total screen time).

And they have painted themselves into a corner with Will connecting with the pure concetrated evil guy.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This show feels like its trying so hard to have a point and be diverse that it almost feels exploitative or something.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

*sees a trans lady beat up two cops and then do a barrel roll in a smart car* What is this, some kind of tumblr social justice bull poo poo??

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, I don't know how that finale ended up being as boring as it was. They set up a giant action sequence in Iceland with all the sensates working together and somehow it ended up not being much fun to watch.

I don't know if I would put myself through another season of this if a second season ever did come out. There were lots of great scenes in this season, but lots more bad/unfulfilling ones. I feel like this show has the potential to be so much better than it is.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I imagine it's because they spent too much time cutting between that and Riley's backstory, which could have been much shorter or filled in at another point since there was no reason to make it a season finale mystery, along with the fact that they spent too much time explaining what was going on with Whispers. They just broke up the action too much at the end of the day, and most of what was there wasn't even that great. The only two notable bits were Sun beating up the four guards and Wolfgang rushing the helicopter.

If they'd had a plan going in and we just saw each of them doing their part in the plan in one long, fluid scene, including improvising as and when necessary it'd have been much more fun more than likely.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Just finished episode 2, it's pretty stupid but I don't really have anything else to do so I'm gonna keep watching, maybe it will get better for me.

I will say that those are some of the worst opening credits I have ever seen, the sound team is bad all the music choices make me think I'm watching some broadcast reality show like amazing race or something.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I did not expect to like this, but through 5 1/2 episodes, I really do. It's not mind-blowing TV but it's eminently watchable in the same way 24 was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Just finished it, quite a lot of fun. The dialogue was super-clunky in places, but the characters and their own plots were endearing and interesting. Capheus and Sun were my favourites throughout, but Lito won me over near the end with his tequila squared.

I'd be interested in a second season, but they seriously need to flesh out Whispers, he was very much the weak plot link.

• Locked thread