Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dik-dik posted:

Have they done anything else worthwhile other than the Matrix?

Speed Racer was basically just a live action anime, and was visually beautiful. It also had John Goodman wrestling a load of ninjas, and nothing that has John Goodman wrestling ninjas can be bad. Cloud Atlas was pretty good too, if somewhat tiring to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm five episodes in and I have to say that I really love this show. My favorite character is probably Capheus, but I don't dislike a single one of them and I like him most simply because of the sheer joy in his reactions to the various sharings he has had so far. Seeing him (episode 4...I think)daintily sip tea from Riley's cup like a really stereotypical British person was hilarious. I loved how happy he was to appear in (episode 5)Seoul too. And the fact he managed to quickly convince Sun to open up just by his honesty and openness. He's just a really nice guy. They writers are really managing to pluck a lot of humor from the various mind trips. Wolfgang appearing (episode 5)naked in the middle of Kala's wedding right as she's about to give her final vows was fantastic too.

After the montage in episode 3 I'm surprised that the thread title isn't What's going on? It seems show appropriate as a whole really. It, and the short sequence in episode 2 where Capheus appears in San Francisco as Nomi is making her video blog (I presume at least) about pride were gorgeously shot and both had me tearing up a little.

I'm also really happy that everyone involved in Kala's storyline is just so nice. Both her parents and Ryjash (is that his name?) are really, really sweet people, which makes the dilemma all the more appealing. Not even gay, but after the (episode 3...I think, again - they're blurring together)dance he organised and his desire to have a ring to show commitment I'd be tempted to marry the guy, never mind what she's presumably supposed to be feeling. I like that both her and, to a somewhat lesser degree due to the fame involved, Rito are facing more mundane challenges, but that the writing is still strong enough in those to keep you just as engaged in their struggles.

I know this had zero buzz in the lead up to the show, even here it had no thread till the day the show was starting, but here's to hoping it starts to generate some positive word of mouth and pick up a bit of steam due to it. It certainly deserves it based on the first 5 episodes and I can't wait to watch more.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Argue posted:

The season A-plot was generic conspiracy poo poo I didn't care about but I enjoyed all the individual characters' stories as well as their interactions.

Yea, the main plot line with Whispers was probably the weakest part of the show to me too, mainly because he's literally nothing. We have no clue of his agenda, his motive or his history and barely get a glimpse of his personality. He only appears for about 2 minutes or so total in the entire show most likely. I found myself feeling way more dread that Capheus' mom would bite it in relation for his actions or that the British drug dealer would follow Riley and murder her dad than anything to do with Whispers.

I dislike conspiracy style stuff like this though, because you eventually have to reveal the full mystery you've built up and it's never nearly as good as the anticipation has built expectations too, and if you want the show to continue past that point then the only thing you can really do is reveal a deeper, even more mysterious and hosed up conspiracy that was hiding behind the original one. Which always reeks of idiocy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Combat Pretzel posted:

I actually come to like Jamie Clayton for instance via this series.

Having just looked her up to see which cast member she was I just found out the answer to a question I had but forgot to look up while watching the series: namely was Nomi's actress a transgender person herself. Which she apparently is. Which is nice. One thing I do like about Netflix series is that they tend to use a lot of unknown actors and actresses for their series, most of whom seem to be just as good as the regular spate of people you'd in most American shows, and if Marco Polo and this are anything to go by, having a wider scope than "American city" in general too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
While I wouldn't have minded having each relevant section in it's regional language, you'd be looking at subtitles for half the show in that case, if not more, since there'd need to be subtitles for Korean, Swahili, German, Hindi, Spanish and possibly some Icelandic Gaelic which would I imagine be off-putting to a lot of their potential audience. Riley, Nomi and Will take up the majority of screentime and all speak English, at least the majority of the time in Riley's case, but there's still a lot of focus on the other cast members in any given episode.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
"What's Going On" or "Van drat always comes back" are both equally good. Also, I don't care what the song is, because the montage works independent on of it, so long as it's some popular and cheesy song that can be sung loud. Watching Kala, Capheus, Wolfgang and Sun get really in to it is the important part, not what they're singing.

Kala's small "Oh dear" afterwards, along with the really uncomfortable squirmy face she makes when she realized she'd been caught are great too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wonder if Capheus will have a new van, a Van drat Mk II in season two? A bigger and nicer one like the Bat Van, or if he'll just have spruced up the Van drat a little or what.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

precision posted:

I kind of wish there wasn't a grand plot/Whispers at all, because it could easily turn out to be both the worst and most prominent feature of seasons 2+. Be nice to be wrong though.

e: basically I hope this show doesn't go all Orphan Black

Yea, I like the show but I think I'd have liked it more if there had no been no big, bad evil man for them all to fight but instead had concentrated on the clash of cultures of these 8 disparate individuals and the lessons and strengths they can take from each other as well as the oddity they seen in the other's lives. While the team up fights were cool, I think the best parts of the show were seeing their wonder and fascination with appearing in new places they'd never been or just sitting and talking to each other about their problems and how they relate to each other. Kala and Capheus watching a Van Damme film, Capheus and Sun chatting in the plaza, Nomi and Rito in the museum and so on.

By contrast, just about everything to do with Whispers and Jonas was boring poo poo. The only good thing to come out of any of it was the fights, which could easily have been included in other ways.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I imagine it's because they spent too much time cutting between that and Riley's backstory, which could have been much shorter or filled in at another point since there was no reason to make it a season finale mystery, along with the fact that they spent too much time explaining what was going on with Whispers. They just broke up the action too much at the end of the day, and most of what was there wasn't even that great. The only two notable bits were Sun beating up the four guards and Wolfgang rushing the helicopter.

If they'd had a plan going in and we just saw each of them doing their part in the plan in one long, fluid scene, including improvising as and when necessary it'd have been much more fun more than likely.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Midnight City posted:

Nope, maybe you should try watching the show again? His "brother" repeatedly tells him he's going crazy or doing dumb poo poo. The two girls never once doubt any of it including setting fire to a loving hospital to escape to the second girl's mom's house who, yet again immediately buys into it because she's such a ~liberal hippie who sees inner truths~

How do you feel about Kala's family out of interest? Or that her boyfriend was perfectly supportive of every decision she made, minor as most of them were and probably one of the nicest people on the show - even putting on a musical to help entertain her. I'm not sure whether it's the "always good" or "buys in to hippie sensate stuff without question" that bothers you, this might help clarify.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's a great sequence, but almost every sex scene in the show left me in stitches, that included, because most of them involved sensate mixing and I always found it funny to imagine how the rest of them felt about those things happening. Will getting freaked out by the orgy while he was in the middle of working out being a good example. I'm just waiting for one of them to be having sex and one or more of the others to drop in and start offering advice in a really critical manner.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Slamhound posted:

It's probably closer to say she does want to hurt her daughter, Nomi, in order to "reclaim" Michael. She's utterly callous in her treatment of Nomi; hostile and unwilling to give an inch even when her other daughter tells her to back off for a second. Her "love" is little more than a pathological need to assert herself and the "help" she was offering was extortion: Accept what I say you are or die because you have no insurance.

Yea, I've no idea how anyone can seriously claim that Nomi's mother was being perfectly reasonable in contrast to Nomi, when both were acting equally rational or irrational based on their history. Nomi's mother made no attempt to moderate her behavior in any way that would serve to help calm Nomi down, which would have been the rational thing to do, even if she didn't actually mean any of it, because Nomi has just woken up in a hospital following an accident and is obviously going to be a little scared and irrational based on the experience. Even her other daughter found her behavior rather out of place.

Nomi for her part was just scared and seeking things to comfort herself, like her own name and her partner and what not. Which she was being denied access to by someone who she quite obviously has a long and troubled history with regardless of their ties. That's not being childish, that's just being human. What did Kegslayer expect her to do? Just lie down and accept that the person who is, even then, continuing to degrade and traumatize her, regardless of what informs that behavior, has complete control over the situation and she shouldn't be allowed access to any of the freedom's she wants, like seeing her partner or being called by her chosen name?

And, while I don't know if such was the intention, I got the impression that the surgery she was going in for would have included reversing her transgender operation as much as possible.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 11, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DoctorX posted:

That's how I see it too. No one was defending Nomi's mom or saying she hasn't done anything wrong.

Well the whole thing kicked off because someone kind of did.

Kegslayer posted:

Finished the series and this show seems to have a lot of potential but the writing is so frustratingly uneven.

Take the two main LGBT characters for example.

Nomi is a loving train wreck. Netflix did an awesome job in casting a transwoman to play a transwoman but her character is terribly written.

During the first couple of episodes, I found myself sympathising with her mother because although the mother's views are abhorrent, she acts out of a place of love and she seems genuine in trying to save the life of her child who has a terminal brain condition. She isn't the only parent who would rather their child be in a vegetative state but alive than permanently dead.

Nomi on the other hand acts like a spoilt child in refusing her family's healthcare and then continues to spend about 90% of the season being victimized and feeling sorry for herself and the other 10% as a super genius hacker. She'd do great in a serious story about all the poo poo that transgender people have to deal with but it's hard to find her story engaging in a show where a Van drat bus roundhouse kicks a motorcycle.

Sure, he does say her views are abhorrent, but he's also saying that she's the more sympathetic and reasonable person in that scene and that Nomi is being childish. Which is kind of bullshit. Nomi's mother was being supremely willful and stubborn when she appeared, refusing to give any kind of comfort to her daughter to help her understand what's going on, while Nomi was mostly just scared and feeling threatened.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 11, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DoctorX posted:

I definitely don't agree with the opinion you quoted. Sorry if it seemed like I did.

I don't believe anyone did agree with him regarding Nomi's mother, but it's what got the whole conversation started in the first place.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kegslayer posted:

Nomi was there not because she was transgender but because there was a real problem with her health. She was seeing visions and the doctor had diagnosed her with something terminal.

I found Nomi's mother relatable in the sense that if you thought your loved one was mentally ill for years and was suddenly about to die then yeah, you can see why her mother acted and did what she did. You aren't suppose to agree with her but you can understand her and all the real life people that think being transgender is a mental illness.

The show makes it clear that her views are wrong and what Nomi needed was for her mother to be a gentle and non judgmental source of support.

That doesn't change the fact that Nomi's mother is a much better written three dimensional character than Nomi herself in the first couple of episodes.

Can you try to rationalize how Nomi is being childish by being scared and seeking comfort and respect when she wakes up in a hospital following an accident and the mother who has traumatized her in the past refuses to allow her any dignity or comfort too out of interest? Your entire argument appears to be that Nomi is too cliche and either has it too perfect or too terrible. Or too terribly perfect. You think she's a Mary Sue essentially? I'd take umbrage with the first at least just based on the fact that I can't recall seeing any other transgender characters in television full stop, so her being a cliche seems impossible viewed under that light. Maybe a cliche as a victim of bigotry in general instead of transgender bigotry specifically, but even then she's not nearly the victim you paint her since once she's out of the hospital she tries to take control of the situation pretty much immediately, even if not always with success. She's in the hospital maybe two episodes? Three? She spends far more out than in regardless.

It's not like she's alone in that either. Kala, Capheus and Sun are all pretty much the same too, in that they're always good and right and just the victim of lovely circumstances beyond their control. The characters in the show are quite simplistic morally, you're just focusing in on her for some reason.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kegslayer posted:

And then she gets in over her head and needs to be saved by Dr Mathias when Whispers comes.

Not really. Dr Mathias is saving himself, where her and Amanita just run the gently caress away because they have nothing to fight a gun wielding psycho with. Which was the more sensible decision. Mathias had no interest in saving them, he just bought them a few seconds to run a bit further. Even then, the gun wielding psycho doesn't actually target them, why would he after all when Whispers very obviously wants Nomi alive? Dr. Mathias didn't save them from poo poo.

Kegslayer posted:

When she returns home desolute?

Her girlfriend comes back to cheer her up and her old friend drops by just at the right time with everything she needs.

I can't really say as I see the complaint regarding this one either, because the things that help her in this case are all stuff she herself has actively helped establish: her girlfriend of several years and an old friend that she had helped in the past and asked to come help them prior to that. Sure, she didn't ask him to come in that specific instance, but he wouldn't be in the story at all if she hadn't rang him for help earlier and if she hadn't taken a conviction for him in the past.

Kegslayer posted:

My argument is that Nomi is a badly written one dimensional character in the majority of the series. Her role is to play the damsel in distress, have bad things happen to her and then be saved by someone else. I'm sorry but its just lovely writing and my original point was that even her mother, who's only in like two scenes, is better written than her.

We're only talking about Nomi because some other poster jumped on my pile of :words: but she isn't the only badly written character.

Kala, is another example but Capheus and Sun are not.

See, I can definitely see where someone could find her to be badly written, but I don't think she's really any worse than anyone else in the cast in that regard because most of the writing is very simplistic in it's broad strokes (character development, arcs and so on), and the dialogue tends to concentrate more on establishing themes and poo poo than really making it flow for it's own sake. What I at least took issue with was the idea that Nomi was being childish in the hospital, especially when contrasted with her mother whom you seemed to find perfectly reasonable despite the fact both were being equally reasonable or unreasonable because of their history.

Capheus I would also point out constantly needs to be saved, mostly by Sun and that he's portrayed as perfectly nice and good himself with a mother who is a dying AIDs victim and little saint by all accounts from the show. Sure, he does some stuff himself and has some agency in that he gets in to the plot with the druglord because of his own poo poo, but then, the same is true of Nomi. She fights for herself on occasion too, mostly by hacking, but it counts, and she is in that situation partially due to herself and takes some degree of control of the situation once released from the hospital. The same can basically be said for Sun. I just don't see where one is completely poo poo, but the other is fine since both are basically the same.

precision posted:

Question: Did anyone actually like Naveen Andrews' part in this? I mean if you want to talk about eye-rolling cliche writing, "invisible guardian angel who speaks softly and mysteriously" is pretty high on the Annoying List.

I found him alright until he started giving a speech about how humans are fundamentally broken from nature and perhaps sensates are what humans were meant to be because they can move in a pack like fish or birds do. I loving hated that hippie poo poo, and was delighted to see that when it ended with him going "after all, only a human could kill like that" we cut immediately to Wolfgang going on a murder spree for selfish reasons. It has to be have been entirely deliberate and I can only speculate that they wanted to turn the audience against him for some reason at that point, but I've no idea why. Either way, like Whispers, I think I'd have enjoyed the show more without him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I keep forgetting he's part of the show, and hope he manages to make the character arcs and plot as compelling here as he did in Babylon 5, which also had a weak first season - though mostly because he didn't have nearly as heavy a hand as in the rest of the show. Still, if one of the cast comes out of this nearly as cool as Londo or G'kar, or there's a relationship that mirrors theirs in it's intensity and impact then even the Whispers poo poo will have been worth it I suppose.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Lennier is weird to me, because he just kind of drops out of the show after loving up his relationship with the main cast, which leaves his character in limbo with no real end. Favorite secondary character has to be Vir, who despite being really timid and self-conscious manages to come off as really awesome at times, especially when you find out what he's doing during the war, behind even Londo's back. The best moment of the show is when Londo gives him his wish regarding Mordin.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
She says it in the first episode when she goes to pray at the temple to Ganesha: Rajan proposed to her at work, but she had no interest and then when she told her family that the rich son of a pharmaceutical company had proposed to her they were so happy that she accepted it to make her family happy. She's essentially put herself in an arranged marriage, while everyone else thinks she's doing it for love. Or, at least, everyone says they do. I suspect the father is perfectly aware of the fact she has no interest in him and is doing it out of obligation, because he's given her a few outs now.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If the parents were the ones that were asked first and then told her, and that makes more sense now that you mention it, then I don't think they put pressure as such on her to accept it because all of them act like it was something she's doing purely out of love, what with the mother and grandmother talking about how she's the first in the family to marry for love and all. They are more likely to have been so happy and presumed she would be given his material wealth that she accepted due to that happiness than them going "you will accept and that's that" type of pressure. Though that could be what you mean, your wording is a wee bit ambiguous. I'm delighted Rajan is such a nice guy though too, since it makes the dilemma feel a lot more real.

And I too get the feeling she might actually fall for him as the series progresses. I think she expects to have this one big "cute meet" moment where she falls instantly in love and marries that guy, but suspect her story might be more about falling in love with someone over time due to their actions and personality than an falling in instant love like she has with Wolfgang, who is a very physically attractive but personally destructive character. She gets that feeling of instant connection with Wolfgang, but it seems more like temptation than love the way it's presented, especially in light of that Icelandic sensate talking about how love between cluster members was such a bad thing. Then again, Riley and Will are an almost definite lock for hooking up, so who knows.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Riley seems like a good bet to birth a new cluster at some point later in the show, yea. I'm also hoping the Whispers thing isn't the show's ultimate antagonist personally, since I think even if he's characterized he's probably going to be pretty boring. Straczynski has done something similar before. Or at least, he planned to. The setup for his Babylon 5 sequel, Crusade was about a quest to find a cure for a disease ravaging Earth. The original plan was to have the cure found in season two if I recall, and for events to spin out further from there with a broader war occurring. I'm really hoping that Whispers gets offed in season two or three for the sensates to have to deal with public exposure or something instead, because it just seems much more interesting in an X-Men way. Just, an X-Men that there might actually be a complete arc with a finish for. Which would be nice.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm a native English speaker and those connections completely flew past me, so I wouldn't feel too bad. At least you have some excuse.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fall posted:

I'm really excited to see how that perspective might contribute to identity issues that are inevitably gonna crop up as the sensates merge with each other. (That's code for: I want to see more guys PMSing.)

I feel this video is appropriate under the circumstances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Pq96vaY0I

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Eukodol posted:

While sneaking off to underground kickboxing tournaments to beat someone into unconsciousness might be slightly more socially acceptable than picking fights with random people on the street, it's probably still not the most recommended way of dealing with feelings that your family does not respect you. Sun may not be bathing in the blood of her victims or keeping a trophy room in her penthouse suite but she *is* edging up to the line.

It's not just that her family doesn't respect her though, it's that no-one around her respects her except when she fights. Her sensei respects her, if in a gruff manner, and the organizers of the kickboxing respect her too. Hence why her opponent was told that the smart money was on "the skinny bitch" he had just been dismissing as worthless. It's the one place she feels she can not only be herself, but that she can be respected for it. So of course she goes back there again and again, validating herself through it.

Samizdata posted:

Had a thought whilst showering (yes, I do that once in a while).

One thing almost the whole cluster shares is that all of them, in one way or another, has been marginalized or trivialized their whole life.

Sun: Family, other business people
Nomi: Family, other "pure" LBGTQ people
Wolfgang: His father, Steiner
Will: His father, his previous Sensate experience, his boss
Lito: His director (treats him like a trained monkey, by and large), his fans (same)
Capheus: Okay, I fail there a bit.
Kala: Her family underestimates her (seriously, Mom, I am a little old for THE TALK), her culture (I doubt India is kind to female chemists)
Riley: Yeah, she's an awesome DJ, but there's an awful lot of people that are just apparently there for the wrapping and not the contents

I'd say that Capheus is more about his entire society being marginalized and hosed by the rest of the world so that the whole place turns dog eat dog, creating a rather viscous system where he's the outlier rather than the norm.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zythrst posted:

Saved from what, from Dr. Metzger? He just showed up and was scared shitless, until that husk showed up, at which time they prudently left. Not seeing the problem, and you know they discovered a lot of important information on that trip.

Nah, he means when Whispers shows up at Amanita's mom's front door I would assume. At which point she's in the middle of helping Will track the whole conspiracy angle. The two of them are helping each other in that scene in a manner not dissimilar to what kegslayer was asking for (her jumping in to someone to hack) just before Whispers shows up.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 17, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That's actually a thing that happens apparently, though I had to look it up too being a non-American. I'm sure there's better results there to explain it, but that was the first relevant hit from Google for "hospital refusing gunshot wound" and that's as much work as I care to put in for it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Moltke posted:

Don't want to derail about hospital administration, but it's not a thing that ever happens and the article you posted even states that despite not having a trauma center, that particular hospital would never turn away someone presenting at the emergency room with a gunshot wound. It's utterly ridiculous, unethical, and highly illegal (you'd think a cop would know that, but this show is terrible).

The kid in the show wasn't turned away either though. The nurse directed Will to take him to another hospital and then relented when he clarified that he wouldn't make it there, which seems to be pretty much exactly what's happening in the article linked.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, it's terrible of a drama show to dramatize a situation for dramatic effect. I bet no drama show has done that before. Quality of the writing aside, it let me know that this is a thing that is happening in Chicago, which is interesting to me, and I can't fault it on that grounds alone. If that scene caused you to turn the show off then you presumably hated a lot more than that, even if your initial post hadn't said as much so I'm not trying to change your mind about the show's writing - only pointing out that there is some basis to include that scene, regardless of your feelings on it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Moltke posted:

It's not happening because healthcare is the most regulated industry in the world, but if you really believe that it is then more power to you :patriot:

That exact scenario isn't happening no, but there are some hospitals with no trauma centers for budget reasons who have trouble treating gunshot victims which is something that scene highlighted for me. What mystifies me is that you're complaining that the writers are bad because they dramatized a situation and this to you signifies that the writers either don't know their trade or only care about the visuals, but this is one of the most common things in all forms of writing. I mean, I'm struggling to think of any shows that don't exaggerate a situation at some point for the sake of drama. Maybe The Wire? Even that had Bunny Colbin managing to hide New Amsterdam from the press for several weeks, which seems a stretch to me. You might be able to help me out by naming some though, since you're an expert in dramatic writing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Snak posted:

This should could be about how traumatic being a Sensate is, but it's really not. It's about how empathy is powerful.

I'm just happy to have such an optimistic show around for once personally.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ElCondemn posted:

Who knows how it will end up but I think they're just learning what it means to be sensates, I think as the story goes on they'll start to not only experience each other but become each other. We see this happen physically and emotionally already, I think we'll see them blur the line as individuals more and more as the series goes on.

The Icelandic sensates warning regarding love within a cluster being rather narcissistic and ugly would make a lot more sense if clusters tend towards a blurring of identity until it's one mind in 8 bodies. If two of those bodies are dating, it's exclusionary for the other 6, while also being highly ego-centric, given that it's basically just dating your own clone. She's not the most reliable source, and the fact Jonas and Angelica seemed to have a thing suggests it's not a definite outcome - but then, Jonas himself is an unreliable source, and his cluster may not have developed to that point or something.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Renounced posted:

But the show clearly has enough antagonists or plot points even without the BBEG. The majority of this show isn't even about Whipsers or his goons. Everyone has a struggle going on without him; this is even in the OP. The only difference from the OP's list and the show is that Nomi's real enemies are TERFs :v:

Yea, I think I'd prefer it, at least after just one season, if it had been a show about a group of disparate people who have a mysterious connection and use it to help each other out of the poo poo that clogs up their lives while becoming better and more understanding people because of it. Without Whispers it would definitely be more episodic, and the problems in each's lives would have to change at least once a season, but there's nothing wrong with that. Plenty of drama shows manage to make it work as is.

BrianWilly posted:

If this is how Whispers usually runs his operation, I'm still not really sure how in the world he was able to hunt down any other sensates or why they wouldn't just kick his face off.

My favorite part is that he already had one drone body in the bag and then sacrificed it to kill Metzger without even guaranteeing Nomi's body to replace him. I understand that he presumably killed the body so the cops would have no need for an investigation, but he spent two resources and got nothing for it if looked at objectively. If he'd just left Metzger to chastize later, and sent the drone body after Nomi then he might have gotten far more.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 23, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Stroop There It Is posted:

Am I wrong? This is what I could think of (spoilered just in case - whole series):
  • Kala: chemistry/science knowledge
  • Sun: martial arts
  • Wolfgang: firearms/fighting dirty
  • Will: police know-how/lockpicking
  • Lito: acting/persuasion
  • Capheus: badass driving skills
  • Riley: ???? DJing? Drug knowledge?

I think if you're going to add lock-picking for Will that you can probably add car theft for Capheus, given that he was the one to jump-start the ambulance. I think you could probably add his optimism to the list too frankly, since it helped out Sun and Kala at the very least. Sun can probably make use of her skills as a business woman at some point in the future of the show too. It wasn't shown at any point really, only inferred, but after several years helping run a large company in the background and doing all the poo poo work, she's probably got something useful to show for it. Wolfgang also has what the show calls the monster, in that he's willing to invite death more readily than the rest of them would be. A death wish I suppose for all intents. I suppose that was probably meant in the fighting dirty part, but I think it's kind of distinct from that really, given that Will called on him to rush the helicopter in the finale.

Riley though? Who knows. She's more than likely going to be a mother surrogate to the group in the same way Angelica is at some point in the future and she almost certainly has an intimate knowledge of music on the whole rather than DJ'ing specifically given that her dad was an international piano player, but I've no idea how those could really be an asset to the group in any kind of active way. She might have some as yet unseen talents they're saving for season two that she wasn't making use of simply because her depression meant she had no call for it. She could be a trained gymnast and ballerina or something, who can use it in conjunction with Sun's martial arts for extra good fighting, or a dab hand at drawing when they need to make a sketch of someone to help locate him or something. Who knows.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Not a Twat posted:

It's a shame Nomi was ultimately relegated to tech support.

Tech support is easy. It's what she does.

Her and Amanita will probably be back to doing Nancy Drew adventures next season, assuming it happens. I was re-watching part of it last night to see the museum scene again and the two of them answering the door in episode 9 when Bug calls using a lighter and deodorant as a weapon is hilarious and fits totally with the idea of them being wannabe super sleuths. Bug's "Hello Angels" gets a big smile out of me every time too. Cheesy as hell, but who cares.

And while the museum scene is really good, I found the following scene of Capheus and Riley with Capheus' flashback to giving his sister away much more emotional personally. It's probably simply to do with the fact I have three sisters and all of them are having kids at the moment though, so there's a lot of them floating around, including one in swaddling. Still, I want to say again how nice it is to have a show on that is purely a celebration of difference, sex, and life in general. It's so refreshing to see such optimism and joy when most shows are pessimistic about either humans or technology. The fireworks scene, the sing-along, the orchestra-birth and the show in general are all really uplifting and I'll overlook some bad scripting or characterization to see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Maybe he just had other commitments that he gave higher priority, whether work related or personal. Like a dying family member or a job on a bigger production or something. Never know.

• Locked thread