Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Just finished episode 4 I'm all in on this now this poo poo is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Ep 10 I'm having some legit tears. Man I really hope none of the 8 dies

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Okay I'm done and I'd watch another 12 episodes right now.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

full series Daryl Hannah must have a great agent to get her a regular cast credit for this

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

dik-dik posted:

Wonder how many of those Netflix will allow to happen.

Has Netflix ever cancelled an original show?

eta- I mean this has to be a better subscription re-newer then Hemlock Grove or Lillyhammer.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 7, 2015

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

spose it depends how expensive it is, it's a lot of countries to film in.

Sure, but some of that is saved on having a newcomer cast.

eta- to put it another way, Marco Polo has been renewed and that cost as much as game of thrones.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 7, 2015

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Yeah man more subtlety! Everybody should just dance around all topics and talk to each like they are spies in 60's Berlin or like Littlefinger and Varys or something, that's the authentic life I know about.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

precision posted:

I found Wolfgang and his brother very German but at first I thought they were in the UK. Their location wasn't as big a deal as some of the others, it's true.

Then again, a lot of people seem to have missed that Nomi was in SF, whereas I instantly recognized the city from living there. And I've never actually been to Berlin except when I passed through it on a train, so.

I've never been to San Fransisco in my life and I easily understood where she was.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

qbert posted:

Hemlock Grove looks like it costs as much as a third-tier CW show.

Sens8 actually shot in 9 different cities throughout the world. Netflix probably threw lots of money at the first season for the Wachowski brand name, but there's no certainty they'll do it again for Season 2.

Although I'd still watch a second season.

I'll just say it again, Marco Polo has been renewed.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Actually the credits are scenes from each of the cities depicted. So I wouldn't say they are random as such.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Rarity posted:

Korea. Seoul is in Korea.

Well.. while I disagree with him a lot, he's not wrong about about that guy being Chinese. That said, after his last point I kind of wonder about how much paying attention he was doing.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

The show is fun and the complaints in that list don't really make a lot of sense.

Like, of course it's procedurally abnormal and outrageous that a trans person would be scheduled for a lobotomy; that's kind of the point? It's supposed to indicate that dangerous forces have corrupted the medical establishment, not inform the viewer of a real policy.

Well and they didn't even use her transgender status as the reason, they said she would die because her lobes were melding or something.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

precision posted:

I wish I had that much faith in the Wachowski's writing ability, but I just watched Jupiter Ascending a couple days ago.

J. Michael Straczynski exists, and is credited as a writer on every episode.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

So let me see if I understand this, a character is not good unless the character is being shot at or equivalent thereof?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Snak posted:

Kala's arc actually turned out to be one of my favorite. I thought it was going to be a really cliche arranged marriage story, and in some ways it was, but the way it was presented worked really well for me. In fact, I was actually really mad at the end of episode 12 that it didn't resolve her wedding story as the finale. In the scene where her dad talks to her about the moral dilemma she faces, he's really explaining it to the audience, because we've already seen her struggling with the exact conflict that she describes. Is is wrong to marry someone you aren't in love with, even if you think they are a really great person, and it's an all around good deal, and they are in love with you? And, if the reason you want to marry them is because you think it's the best chance for a really happy life for both of you, is it moral to lie for the greater good of your futures?

I think the villains are the weakest part of the show. I'm a big nerd, so I love the scifi aspect of this separate society of meta-beings that exists within our own society, but it often detracts from the much better individual stories. Raja's dad being evil, Nomi's mom being evil, Whispers being evil, Sun's brother being evil... I guess it's part of a bigger theme that loyalty to your blood relatives is arbitrary and worthless compared to loyalty to the idea of respecting each-other as human beings.

I do not think this is an action show at all. I guess a bunch of marketing portrayed it as an action show, but I didn't see any of that. I found the action to be good, but more as a punctuation to the drama. Of the 8 main characters, only 3 are fighters (Sun, Wolfgang, and Will) so it's not surprising that the stories aren't primarily action.

I don't get why you think Rajan's dad was evil or a villain?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Fall posted:

Yeah one of my favourite things about the show is how it doesn't say "gently caress archetypes" and respond to them, it says "gently caress archetypes" and humanises the people that are the subject of them. The Strong Woman archetype in particular; I loved that Kala and Nomi are women who cry sometimes, and I loved that Sun is a woman who doesn't. And all three are interesting to some degree.

Literally on the last page is a scene where Sun cry's. Not that it invalidates your point, but still funny.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Kegslayer posted:

Nomi lacks agency because, like I've previously pointed out, even when she gets to do something like break into the doctor's office, she ends up needing to be saved by something else(in this case by Whisper's arrival). Nomi is a badly written character for most of the series because this is the role she plays. She doesn't need to hulk out or be a physically strong character, we just need to see her be able to do something or have her actions matter like they do at the end of the series.

Saved from what, from Dr. Metzger? He just showed up and was scared shitless, until that husk showed up, at which time they prudently left. Not seeing the problem, and you know they discovered a lot of important information on that trip.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Lycus posted:

Mark my words, there's gonna be a situation in Season 2 that sense8s can only beat with DJ'ing.

Or alternatively I'm pretty sure she can play the piano and maybe some other things too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

Sending more members of the cluster off to make eye contact with Whispers doesn't seem like the ideal move.

True, though it is kind of an incentive for him to become a kingpin so he'd have henchmen he could send on missions like that.

• Locked thread