Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm gonna watch all the episodes in backwards order first and compare my reactions to people who watch it forwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm up to episode 4 and absolutely love it. Besides being gorgeously shot and directed, I genuinely like the characters.

My favorites are the telenovela guy and the DJ.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why isn't the title of this thread "VAN drat"?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

xeria posted:

That's fair, obviously I don't know Berlin all that well to speak otherwise; it just felt, on purely surface-level gut reaction (of what I've watched so far), that Wolfgang's 'Berlin-ness' didn't stand out as much as other characters' locales.

I found Wolfgang and his brother very German but at first I thought they were in the UK. Their location wasn't as big a deal as some of the others, it's true.

Then again, a lot of people seem to have missed that Nomi was in SF, whereas I instantly recognized the city from living there. And I've never actually been to Berlin except when I passed through it on a train, so.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

Tom Tykwer did Berlin and Nairobi.

I personally thought the Nairobi scenes were the best-directed. Helps that I found his story to be the most engaging too.

Again, VAN drat. :black101:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

If I had a bunch of people singing some 4 Non-Blondes in my head, I'd tell 'em to shut up.

That scene was absolutely awful. I thought that as a race we had decided to forget that band. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Capheus had the two most badass moments in the whole series, and they were back-to-back in the same episode. Dude rules hard. Though admittedly he had a lot of help from Sun for one of those moments

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I kind of wish there wasn't a grand plot/Whispers at all, because it could easily turn out to be both the worst and most prominent feature of seasons 2+. Be nice to be wrong though.

e: basically I hope this show doesn't go all Orphan Black

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really don't know why people hate the credits so much.

I also don't know why people think this won't get a second season. I get the feeling the Wachowskis would just straight up pay for it themselves if they had to. It's also been getting good reviews. Hemlock Grove is on its third season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm just saying, the Wachowskis insisted on Jupiter Ascending existing and getting a national release. Compared to that, them doing another season of this (regardless of who picks it up or whatever) sounds like a no-brainer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
People write what they know. Why this is bad or even remarkable when it comes to Nomi is a mystery to me. I've never had anyone complain that my novels contain drifter hippies that romanticize drug use.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kojiro posted:

I bet it's super-fun as a creator to be told "write what you know" but as soon as you do it's all "stop pushing your agenda".

It's an absolutely maddening thing because every writer ever does the same thing. Like I have literally never heard anyone say "That hack Tom Robbins, pushing the hippie weed metaphysical agenda!"

I mean a lot of people don't like Tom Robbins books, but they don't make a show of rolling their eyes about his Mary Sue inserts. Because again every writer ever does it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Midnight City posted:

Gotta show the trans couple being perfect bastions of trust and understanding

Wolfgang and his brother also perfectly trusted and understood each other, did that bother you?

This is why people don't write gay/bi/trans characters - because even people who are probably not hateful and well-meaning, such as yourself, will come up with bizarrely terrible criticisms like this one. Good relationships exist, why is it remarkable when the trans character has a good relationship?

Midnight City posted:

This basically feels like a show Tumblr would write

See, I think that if you're saying this, you might have as much of a problem as these Tumblr people.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Midnight City posted:

Yeah this dumb ad hominem poo poo is definitely not a sign you're butt hurt I insulted your mediocre SJW flavor of the month show. Perhaps you can write a lengthy response on your blog.

:yikes:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It is precisely the temptation to label people who are misguided as "evil" that causes problems in the first place. Nomi's mother is probably stupid, certainly misguided, but not "evil".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ Yes, what they said.

Samizdata posted:

Nope. Nomi's mother does NOT love Nomi. Nomi's mother loves the image

This is a show about blurring the boundaries between what a person "is" and "isn't".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been accused of being an SJW for this show, and now apparently I'm also pro-bigotry.

Seriously though, Nomi's mother is a dummy and an awful person, but the word "evil" means something to me, something very specific and real, and I don't use that word lightly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Slamhound posted:

Does a person have to understand that what they're doing is wrong to be considered evil?

Actually, in my opinion, yes. That's the major defining aspect of what it means to be "evil". Hope that helps.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Slamhound posted:

That kinda narrows the pool to edgy 14 year olds on /b/ and excludes some of the most monstrous crimes in human history.

The horrible truth about humanity is that most of the more horrible things we've done have not been out of evil, but out of ignorance. Sorry if that's a downer, but it's how I see it.

e: for a silver lining, it's probably easier to educate people than make them not-evil

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Your skills with a katana would be unreal though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Question: Did anyone actually like Naveen Andrews' part in this? I mean if you want to talk about eye-rolling cliche writing, "invisible guardian angel who speaks softly and mysteriously" is pretty high on the Annoying List.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tsob posted:

I found him alright until he started giving a speech about how humans are fundamentally broken from nature and perhaps sensates are what humans were meant to be because they can move in a pack like fish or birds do. I loving hated that hippie poo poo

Ugh, yeah. A lot of people would consider me a hippie in a lot of ways but even I was like "NO, STOP IT, SHUT UP, gently caress THIS".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish I had that much faith in the Wachowski's writing ability, but I just watched Jupiter Ascending a couple days ago.

e: which is actually a really fun movie, but the script is just awful

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If Jonas turns out to be just as bad as Whispers (or worse) I will gladly eat my hat, because that's the only way to make the character interesting to me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What the gently caress is a Babylonian 5, is that some spinoff of Danger 5?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've never studied India in any depth but "Indian woman is in arranged marriage, turns out he's amazing and she falls in love" is the basis for seemingly 99% of every Indian movie I have heard of.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lito pounding Tequila, making out with the bartender, then dropping his own spin on the "Inigo Montoya" mini-speech before going and saving his beard-girlfriend would be the best scene in the season if VAN drat didn't exist.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Quick, someone make a video setting the VAN drat chase to "Hip to be Square".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TinTower posted:

It's kind of hilarious that people are deriding Nomi for being "unrealistic"

No, they're deriding her for being a poor actress and having the weakest script/plot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fall posted:

1) The fact that you consider gender dysphoria to be a fad illustrates exactly why we need these stories in the first place.

The quickest way to kill creativity is to expect creatives to tell certain specific stories. What we need is for creatives to feel able to tell any story they want without fear of being mocked for wrongthink or undeservedly praised for goodthink. The Wachowskis wanted to tell Nomi's story; that's great. But if Da Vinci stepped out of a time machine and said "Hey, Mona Lisa used to be Marco" it wouldn't - strike that, it shouldn't - change our appreciation of it as a painting.

To discuss creative endeavors by their political or social significance is fine, but that discussion should always be entirely separate from discussing the quality of execution.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skex posted:

We have a trans woman character, written and directed by a trans woman writter/director played by a trans woman actress yet here we have goons claiming that it's not authentic enough

Being something does not automatically make you good at communicating what being that thing is like. Unless you want to believe that everything I post is an authentic representation of what being a bisexual Native American male is like, which would be flattering but a bit silly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skex posted:

Why am I not surprised that a user who's infraction history shows a pattern of being probated for homophobia would have a problem with the transgendered character.

You're opinions about the character and acting have far more to do with your own insecurities than anything in the actual show we're discussing. What do you feel icky because she's a hot trans and you're ashamed that she made your little dick hard?

:yikes:

A wise man once told me "If you find yourself commenting on someone's rap sheet when arguing with them, you probably shouldn't be replying to them at all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Men go through a "menstrual cycle" every 24 hours rather than every month. This has led to many theories about why so many crazy/awesome things happen late at night.

• Locked thread