Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGxfTNX_EVo

Holy poo poo, if they ever optimize this game it'll be pretty drat sweet.

I really want to build a fallout style vault and just mass produce attack drones from it and claim an entire planet as my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
God I wish I wasn't a clueless baby as well as garbage at 3D planning when it comes to this game. (I'm loving garbage at pre hard mode Terraria too).

At the very least I know Space Engineers is a clear case of "This is pretty loving cool, and I'm the problem".

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How long do you give it before the realism spergs start having aneurisms over KSH sticking that Jumpdrive in Space Engineers?

That depends. Will solar panels and batteries be involved? What little I dared glimpse at the official forums a while back it seemed shoebox sized nuclear reactors were A Okay, but god forbid you be able to power a single headlight with a solar panel.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Season 3 of Battlestar Galactica was not good, but damned if that isn't one of my absolute favorite moments of the series :allears:.

edit: While I remember, if anyone's looking for a means to test their stuff for planetary landings, I highly recommend the Enhanced Gravity Generators script. Just add @small and/or @large to the name of any Gravity Generator, and they'll affect blocks of the respective size.

Also had to see what it'd take to jump the Avalon.

I think I'm going to divide them into groups rather than one big single jumpdrive.

784km's a hell of a lot better than the FTL mod manages. I'd have to pull like three or four jumps to get that far. The 7-minute recharge time's pretty reasonable too.

OHSHHIIIIIII- :barf:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 10, 2015

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
What does jumping look like from outside the ship, as a third person?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trivia posted:

What does jumping look like from outside the ship, as a third person?

It's actually pretty goddamn cool. :allears:

The ship jumps and spawns a gorgeous burst of blue light that darkens and fades out. I can't confirm it, but I'm guessing it's relative to the ship's size?

edit: Grabbed a second jump for better pictures;

It does a little multi-colour flash at the end before fading.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 10, 2015

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

That reminds me a lot of Wing Commander jump drives.

Makes me want to try modeling the Tiger's Claw in SE.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hotfix dropped. Also, if you've been using the Kolt Command Console Pack, there is finally an updated version compatible with DX11. If you already had the Console Fix for the revised player models, it's now that. It also adds a small-block version :allears:.

quote:

EDIT 07/10/2015
Update 01.090.014

- added warning when jump drive is not ready (recharging)
- jump drive block is now airtight
- fixed cannot jump with ship when in remote control
- fixed ship still jumping when jump drive has been destroyed
- fixed ships colliding with each other when pasted with jump drive engaging
- fixed jumping in limited world
- fixed jump drive is not respecting ownership
- fixed ships colliding when jumping towards the same GPS at the same time

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Those all sound like trivial edge cases one would test for. Is there a :keenswh: ?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Spookydonut posted:

Those all sound like trivial edge cases one would test for. Is there a :keenswh: ?

Maybe do like one of these: :confused:, but it's a spaceman?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

- fixed ships colliding when jumping towards the same GPS at the same time

Aww, this bug sounded awesome.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

bitcoin bastard posted:

Aww, this bug sounded awesome.

Yeah I kind of want the FTL mod to un-fix this and make it so that you can fuse ships into each other by jumping to the same location, Philadelphia Project style.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
The game already has it's own iconic facepalming animation. The icon for it is pretty bad though.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Spookydonut posted:

They do test for them. They just use the player base to do it :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

They do test for them. They just use the player base to do it :v:

Some of the stuff they miss before releasing the patch is pretty amazing though. How do you not notice you broke pasting ships together?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

In the steam workshop, is it possible to make a list where I can just subscribe to that and everything in it?

There's so much poo poo on the workshop I want but my subscribed list is such a mess now. It'd be nice to be able to organize it in some way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sankis posted:

In the steam workshop, is it possible to make a list where I can just subscribe to that and everything in it?

There's so much poo poo on the workshop I want but my subscribed list is such a mess now. It'd be nice to be able to organize it in some way.

Not really, sadly. It's a real bitch if you're uploading anything too, because it lists modblocks and ships as one big Subscribed Items list :sigh:. Speaking of, I've uploaded a shuttlecraft I've been rebuilding for actual planetary trips just because I'm quite happy with how it turned out. Works with the Enhanced Gravity Generators, so should actually work in 1G planetary gravity without plummeting like a rock, and even has a small-ship Jump Drive too.

The Sparrow Aerospace Shuttlecraft

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

HMM. If only I was good at... any sort of modding. I feel like An Enemy is what is sorely missing from this game to make it playable at a Survival level without becoming pointless very quickly. Something simplistic to start, like Space Locusts that eat metal and rock or something and build hives in asteroids.

That would be neat, though not realistic. Basically, we need Giant Angry Space Bees.

Edit: I will be your idea guy if you can model and code Space Bees, pls work for exposure tia :v:

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 12, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Is anyone here particularly handy with turret design? I'm badly in need of some standardised turrets of various sizes that are capable of being controlled independently or via a centralised gun director. I'm drawing blanks, and most of the best-working pubbie-designed turrets I've found tend to be rather bulkier than I'd like.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rossmum posted:

Is anyone here particularly handy with turret design? I'm badly in need of some standardised turrets of various sizes that are capable of being controlled independently or via a centralised gun director. I'm drawing blanks, and most of the best-working pubbie-designed turrets I've found tend to be rather bulkier than I'd like.

Have you tried the No-AI versions of Mexpex's battleship guns included in his weapon modpack?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I'd rather have block-based designs than single part mods, they're more durable and can be customised more easily.

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Hey guys, just wanted to draw attention to an application I've just published on Steam Greenlight, which is meant to help design structures, vehicles, or pretty much anything that is voxel cube based. It's still very early and has minimum amount of features, but I'm planning to add more features and make it much better. I'm calling it Cube Planner. Let me know what you think.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenDragon42 posted:

Hey guys, just wanted to draw attention to an application I've just published on Steam Greenlight, which is meant to help design structures, vehicles, or pretty much anything that is voxel cube based. It's still very early and has minimum amount of features, but I'm planning to add more features and make it much better. I'm calling it Cube Planner. Let me know what you think.

That looks really neat. I had to go hunting just to find a decent online pixel circle generator, so that'd be insanely useful. Plus you'd probably get a lot of goodwill from the Minecraft crowd out of it.

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That looks really neat. I had to go hunting just to find a decent online pixel circle generator, so that'd be insanely useful. Plus you'd probably get a lot of goodwill from the Minecraft crowd out of it.

Yep, that's one of the reasons I've started this application, and I just love making grand designs in games like this, but just couldn't find anything that would be easy to use or not limited in some way.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
It's a bugfix week.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

GreenDragon42 posted:

Yep, that's one of the reasons I've started this application, and I just love making grand designs in games like this, but just couldn't find anything that would be easy to use or not limited in some way.

An essential feature, for me, that is missing from voxel games is the ability to select and move around arbitrary sections of the design. That along with 3D visualization (which I see is on your todo list) would make this an instant purchase for me, even without a sphere planner or other features.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

It's a bugfix week.

Actually, it's the start of several. We've been about due for another run of bugfixing updates, and they've probably run out of interstitial things to push out the door prior to planets themselves.

1.091 posted:

Summary
In this week’s update, we are focusing on fixing various bugs. We are planning to have a more intense bug-fixing period during the upcoming weeks, so you should expect more fixed bugs in the next updates. Additionally, we are adding some more options and possibilities for the scenario creators. Designers are now able to display videos in the scenarios, either at the start or triggered by a condition. They can also add the option to load a map based on a scenario condition (currently available for offline/single player mode missions only). In addition, there is a new option to view the scenario’s progress and inform the player about all the rules set in the current scenario (list of win / lose conditions and basic settings). Moreover, there is a new option to add a player directly into a faction when he spawns in the medical room. When this option is enabled, the player that spawns in the medical room will automatically join the faction that the owner is part of. There is also a new world option for starting in respawn screen. Any player that plays a scenario should start in a spawn screen with listed spawn points. Even if the player plays an offline single player game, he should still start in the respawn screen. Lastly, we have improved the ownership/faction options in the scenario edit mode. When a player creates a faction, it is possible to add a 0 entity that will be added to the faction. He can then assign ownership of blocks to the NPC (the NPCs should be hostile to each other).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdMsxeTKrEg

Developers’ note: We thought it useful to give you a bit more information regarding the importance of the Scenario Editor, since we’ve noticed that many players are not happy with the additions that have been made lately. As we have already mentioned in a recent blog post, part of our development plan is to add missions into the game. The purpose of the scenario editor is exactly this – to provide all the necessary tools to our Level Designers to create various missions that will be implemented in the vanilla game. If the scenario editor didn’t exist, then we would require occupying programmers for doing that. But now, with the help of the scenario editor, our level designers can easily work on designing missions without the help of any other person in the studio and programmers will have the time to work on other planned features. More dev notes will follow shortly regarding planets and other development plans. Stay tuned!

Features
- large bug fixes
- more ownership/faction options in scenario edit mode
- option to play video at the scenario start/condition triggered
- option to load another map based on a triggered condition (in offline/single-player mode missions only)
- option to view scenario progress/rules ("U" key)
- new med-bay setting: assign to faction when player spawns
- world option: player starts in respawn screen

Fixes
- fixed crash when turrets were tracking a target
- fixed recharge time not calculated correctly on DS
- added recharge ON/OFF action for jump drive
- fixed conveyor system ignoring sorter block
- fixed right click on a completed block gives error
- fixed cargo containers not transmitting inertia to the contents upon destruction
- fixed remote control and freelook conflict
- fixed no thruster sounds
- fixed cannot click X in blueprint search
- fixed hand drill taking up too much volume space in the inventory
- fixed placing armor corner 2x1x1 tip glitch
- fixed speed on HUD updating too frequently
- fixed gravity generator slider inconsistency
- fixed dedicated server console not remembering settings
- fixed GPS locations jump back to the top
- fixed turrets crashing server when being welded
- fixed interior lights color issues
- fixed auto-healing working even after disabled
- fixed conveyor system ignoring sorter block
- fixed small advanced rotor part name
- fixed merge block are disconnected after owner change
- fixed hand tools can be transferred trough small conveyors

community changes by tyrsis:
- Allows mods to be notified when damage occurs to various entities (blocks, ships, characters, etc), and also allow mods to modify or even nullify that damage. It even stops deformation. This gives a lot of power to mods to modify damage as it comes in. Following these events can be found in MyAPIGateway.Session.DamageSystem interface.
- Allows mods to move clients to different multiplayer servers. - ( MyAPIGateway.Multiplayer.JoinServer() )

Community fix by joemorin:
- Fixed ammo being consumed by multiple clients for the same gun (multiplayer ammo bug)

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Some Sperg posted:

- Allows mods to move clients to different multiplayer servers. - ( MyAPIGateway.Multiplayer.JoinServer()

Inter-server hyperdrives confirmed?
Massive goon armadas appearing from the void to lay waste to everything they see confirmed?

Please?:allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McGiggins posted:

Massive goon armadas appearing from the void to lay waste to everything they see confirmed?

I wouldnt be surprised if the game headed that way to make it a bit more open-world (hell, it's half-there with Jump Drives). It still needs a way to stream new mods into active worlds though, or your mighty battleship's gonna turn up buck-naked missing most of its firepower and interior. Not to mention a dire need for an optimization patch.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
All good points, though you could make it so nothing not already on the new server could be transmitted.

I.E. get an Reality Actualization Error on your dimension/hyperdrive when attempting to move a ship or entity with components or inventory that is modded/not enabled on the new server.

Goddamn, so many people would fail to set their servers up properly to guard against it too.

Edit: I have visions of sending in remote piloted bombs and a simple carrier/manufacturing platform to control them from.

Goons stealth in, guerrilla it up hardcore, smash what they can, steal what ships they can, and then bail with all the loot back to a safe/defended server.

I just want to smash all the space sand castles.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 17, 2015

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I just hope the netcode gets fixed soon; All of this stuff is cool but the game can't really handle more than two people at the moment, so it's all a bit of a waste.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McGiggins posted:

All good points, though you could make it so nothing not already on the new server could be transmitted.

I.E. get an Reality Actualization Error on your dimension/hyperdrive when attempting to move a ship or entity with components or inventory that is modded/not enabled on the new server.

Goddamn, so many people would fail to set their servers up properly to guard against it too.

Edit: I have visions of sending in remote piloted bombs and a simple carrier/manufacturing platform to control them from.

Goons stealth in, guerrilla it up hardcore, smash what they can, steal what ships they can, and then bail with all the loot back to a safe/defended server.

I just want to smash all the space sand castles.

You'd never get anyone connecting to eachother then, because there are a LOT of mods and no two people use the same exact set.

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Moddington posted:

An essential feature, for me, that is missing from voxel games is the ability to select and move around arbitrary sections of the design. That along with 3D visualization (which I see is on your todo list) would make this an instant purchase for me, even without a sphere planner or other features.

Yep, that's another missing feature that annoyed me with all the other planning software. Which is why I've got it on my todo list :)

- Draw basic 2d shapes such as circle, square, etc. and treat them as elements and manipulate them afterward
- Draw basic 3d shapes such as sphere, box, etc. and treat them as elements and manipulate them afterward

I didn't mention arbitary sections of the design, but it's pretty much follows from what I'm planning to do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Quick question for those who've messed around with scripting via Programming Blocks; Is it possible to search for a block and return a true/false? Just something like;

code:
if(BlockName exists)
{
	Do something;
}
else
{
	echo "OH NO " $BlockName " is GONE"!;
}

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I haven't looked at any SE Programming blocks, but from this page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=360966557 (official prog block guide)
and found this (:reddit:): http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceengineers/comments/2r1i9q/programmable_block_example_disable_all_turrets/

quote:

Available interfaces

Possible actions
Currently only terminal actions can be triggered inside scripts. User can access terminal system for grid on which programmable block is located and trigger any terminal action on any block at grid.

GridTerminalSystem variable
Currently only following “built-in” variable that user can use: GridTerminalSystem. This is entry point of entire grid terminal system.
It has following methods available:
List<IMyTerminalBlock> Blocks{get;}
List<IMyBlockGroup> BlockGroups { get; }
void GetBlocksOfType<T>(List<IMyTerminalBlock> blocks, Func<IMyTerminalBlock, bool> collect = null);
void SearchBlocksOfName(string name,List<IMyTerminalBlock> blocks, Func<IMyTerminalBlock, bool> collect = null);
IMyTerminalBlock GetBlockWithName(string name);
With these methods all terminal blocks of grid can be collected.

I hope that helps. You can either loop through the List "Blocks" or search for a specific block.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Station placement protip: to align station grid to the sun, position yourself between the sun and the asteroid you want to build on, so you can see your shadow. Then, place your crosshair over the shadow of your helmet (i.e. where your eyes are), and rotate the block frame so the X cross-members are aligned of the near and far face are aligned. Once aligned, you can move your crosshair and astronaut around and place the block where you wish to begin construction.

Now I can start building my large ship, with its solar panels perfectly aligned right from the get-go:

GotLag fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 17, 2015

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GotLag posted:

Station placement protip: to align station grid to the sun, position yourself between the sun and the asteroid you want to build on, so you can see your shadow. Then, place your crosshair over the shadow of your helmet (i.e. where your eyes are), and rotate the block frame so the X cross-members are aligned of the near and far face are aligned. Once aligned, you can move your crosshair and astronaut around and place the block where you wish to begin construction.

Now I can start building my large ship, with its solar panels perfectly aligned right from the get-go:

Walrus base, go!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I prefer to think of it as a pallet jack

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Sorry for the stupid-posting but I need an informed answer.

Are there any actually fun-to-play scenarios for either game yet? Do they require multiplayer to enjoy? I sandboxed both games to death and am now looking forward to coming back and having some goal-oriented gaming in these engines.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

McGiggins posted:

The ability to opt your server into some kind of peer-to-peer pseudo MMO would be really cool, actually. Every server is a single star system, and you can warp between them using the Wormhole Drive or whatever.

It would give people a reason to make infrastructure with deep-range beacons and stuff if they want to entertain guests, rather than having everybody just rely on GPS bookmarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Llama
Mar 12, 2011

A genius billionaire playboy camelid.

It's a mod command, seemingly, so I can see there being a bunch of different server side mods that would opt you into a specific "universes" of servers. If mod dependencies exist, the universe mod could require a specific list of parts to be installed before it works, thus ensuring your ship remains intact between servers. Some sort of jump gate that could be linked to connect specific servers would probably be a good implementation, rather than just spooling up the jump drive to go to another server. A specific point to get you a specific system, and having a physical entity opens up a lot of options (hacking, damaging/repairing the gate, secretly building a gate in a hostile system)

• Locked thread