Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
God I wish I wasn't a clueless baby as well as garbage at 3D planning when it comes to this game. (I'm loving garbage at pre hard mode Terraria too).

At the very least I know Space Engineers is a clear case of "This is pretty loving cool, and I'm the problem".

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How long do you give it before the realism spergs start having aneurisms over KSH sticking that Jumpdrive in Space Engineers?

That depends. Will solar panels and batteries be involved? What little I dared glimpse at the official forums a while back it seemed shoebox sized nuclear reactors were A Okay, but god forbid you be able to power a single headlight with a solar panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DaveKap posted:

Sorry for the stupid-posting but I need an informed answer.

Are there any actually fun-to-play scenarios for either game yet? Do they require multiplayer to enjoy? I sandboxed both games to death and am now looking forward to coming back and having some goal-oriented gaming in these engines.

I do not think so on the scenarios front. Eventually that could be kinda nice because it would also give those of us who are loving terrible at these games something to trick ourselves into thinking we've accomplished much of anything. I admit when I'm super loving terrible at trying to slap patch a gravity funnel onto the yellow survival ship, all the deeper stuff like control console scripts intimidate me when I'm terrible at building even 2D log cabins in Terraria.

No loving way I'll have "Oxygen Required" toggled on the next time I take a stab at survival mode in this.

EDIT: Note to self, see if the workshop has vanilla scenarios that catch my clueless newbie fancy.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 18, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Random Encounter posted:

This update has made some people upset.

I'm going to pretend those people are upset that the existence of tutorial scenarios makes this game "Too accessible to casuals"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While I know there is amazing poo poo people can pull off with the manual input outlook, I do hope at least that drones are not essentially dead weight for idiots like myself :downs: Even if it's just super basic stuff like "Ferry X material only, between points A and B" and maybe it have it willing to recharge itself somewhere rather than drift off into the depths of space or smash into a rock once it runs out of power.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RandomBlue posted:

No-one really cares if the game is ever actually "released", which doesn't mean dev would need top stop, though it typically does. What people do want is a stable and optimized version of the game they can play for extended periods without some new poo poo breaking every update. I know they have "stable' and "dev" release streams (or whatever they call them, it's been a while) but even the stable version has been neither stable nor optimized. It's more stable than dev of course.

Last time I got back into the game I had to play dev stream to play multiplayer because the MP code was so utterly horrible in stable it was virtually unplayable due to constant rubber banding the entire time you played no matter what server you were on or what your ping was.

Basically this. I've always been rather clueless as it is trying to do stuff in this game, but the "I want to get used to it in vanilla" learning curve certainly isn't helped when core features keep breaking. Let alone stuff like multiplayer stability for those both more practiced and wanting more of a challenge, without worrying that using a loving welder crashes the server :v:

So while it's understandable it's still got a bit work in progress "Early Access" label on it with all the constant issues, only so much time can pass before you get the impression Developers no matter how hard working they are just use the label as a security blanket.

See also, developers who have taken the term "Road map" and run it into the ground by setting themselves dates and telling people to get hyped for updates, then kicking the date a month or year back once their self set deadline comes up and crying "Roadmaps are subject to change! Why are you picking on us?" (ala Subnautica) the nth time they wait less than 12 hours before their self set due date to edit their roadmap.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 26, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

This is a cool sounding mod that doesn't deserve it's latest comment to be "This feels OP. How about you change your Mod meant to stop a waste material from being useless ejection fodder, into creating a brand new custom Slag waste material meant to be useless ejection fodder! :downs:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I can't play planetary starts without it. It's definitely not OP as you have to mine a fair amount of stone then refine it to gravel then run it through the separator. I mean, if you're running a hundred of them and mining nothing but stone, sure it's OP. But if you use one or two to get yourself off of the planet it's fine.

Oh definitely, the joke was how there are always people who demand a pointless slog even when it means defeating the entire purpose of a mod in the first place :v:

I'm intending to use it (and look up that mentioned cement block mod, I want to start pretty close to vanilla) as this is reinstalled and it's a matter of working up to facing how much of a clueless idiot I am again. One thing in particular I've been unable to quite track down is something that simply makes air generators pump out oxygen for "free" so long as it has power, but still charge the usual rates for hydrogen. Since I just want to learn to ensure air tight ships, but not have to bother with ice upkeep except for fancy hydrogen stuff.

I get the feeling something that specific isn't a thing, so maybe later I'll try to decide what poorly labeled overhaul between all the "list mods = show planets too"

On that note, those tutorial videos earlier were very nice. And also highlighted just how much stuff you need in this game when "You ONLY need about 50,000 ice for a short trip to space!" is considered a light investment.

• Locked thread