Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Sounds like an idea for a new gun :getin:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Maybe the projectiles follow the same rules electrons do and they can straight up pass through a wall for ~reasons~?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Is there any push to motivated the devs to do an optimization patch? I cannot get back into this game when a any moderate amount of blocks causes the thing to stutter.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Isn't the netcode pointless without optimization?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Is the current planet version playable or should I wait for a bit before playing again?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Wow planets are amazing. If I do an infinite world will planets be randomly spawned for it?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

There is definitely something wrong with thrusters and they are not putting out the thrust they should be. In creative I was placing a bunch of large hydrogen thrusters, about 20 or so, and it started crashing whenever I'd try to place another. This also happens with hydrogen tanks and it seemed to stop regular thrusters from working at all. :rip: self contained base ship the drones and pirates couldn't kill you but a random bug sent you smashing into the ground.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

If I do the basic earth start can I fly to mars or the alien world?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

After looking at it in the editor you can start on any easy start planet while still being able to venture to the other planets. Asteroids are all still there as well.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Might be a bug with the space spiders too as they do hardly any damage.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

What's the best way to set up batteries? How many recharging or discharging and assuming full sun how many solar panels per battery is optimal?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

McGiggins posted:

They should have no boxes ticked.

This way, they're semi-auto, and will recharge or discharge based on the input and output load.

IE, if no refineries are running, they'll start auto charging immediately, but turn the refineries on and they'll start to discharge immediately, but will switch back to charging the moment there is excess power.

One of the better QoL updates they added, imo.

More panels is always better than less.

Edit 1: The number of panels per battery is contingent of the load you intend to extract from them during the non-charging period (Night).

Are you charging a dozen craft with large battery reserves while a refinery/assembly setup grinds away through the night? How much you're consuming is relevant to the equation. You're going to want a dozen or so batteries, with enough panels to always maintain at least a slight positive charge through out the whole process at maximum intended load.

Edit 2: This way, through out the day, the excess charge should build up the batteries to full, while still providing enough power to all equipment and tasks. In essence, once you know what you intend to power, you can do a simple Power Draw per Second x Duration of Night = Required Stockpile / Battery Capacity.

I think my peusdo math is right, I have not had any coffee.

Alright so I have one day set to 30 minutes so I need enough batteries to produce enough kWh to last the night and enough solar panels to power the batteries in addition to whatever else is running?

E: from the looks of base values its going to be impossible to run anything that maintains altitude with atmospheric thrusters with a solar panels and batteries.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 24, 2015

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

McGiggins posted:

I have had a coffee! I will attempt to refine my equation, but it will probably still be horribly wrong. Buckle up.

(Power Draw per Second x (Duration of Night x 60) = Required Stockpile / Battery Capacity) will give you the number of batteries, minimum, required to support your operation over night. As you add more things requiring power, this will need to be updated. Always round up, of course

(Power Draw per Second / Solar Panel Max Input per Second) should give you the number of panels you need to support that draw (assuming maximum sun during the entire period). If you want to ensure the batteries have at least a trickle charge in addition to their intended draw in order to have them always charged, just add one extra panel, though a few extra will ensure the fact that they don't always have maximum sun is offset by the additional input.

From that, you just need to build your batteries, and then place your panels, and make sure you adjust these equations as you expand.

If you're trying to build something that stays aloft forever on just the panels it can carry while flying, then I doubt you could do that. I haven't tried it or run the numbers, but if you find a way, let me know!

I'm trying to make what amounts to a floating tent you can use to hide from the space spiders or mock the plebs on the ground.

It seems to maintain altitude fine but going up req hires turning on the reactors.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

The Deluxe Space Tent so you can oppress micromanage your workers from the comfort and safety of your aerial roost:

The luxurious inside provides all you could possibly need, no assembly required, refinery sold separately:

Manufacturer makes no guarantees, no refunds permitted and regular maintenance may be required. Darwin awards are delivered to the next of kin all people that fail to read the fine print:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's really cool :allears:. How are you meant to get aboard it though? Doesnt seem to have any landing pads or docking mounts.

Here at Dong Inc. we recognize that being a job creator is difficult. It involves putting long hours fiddling with random things in that pen container you got last holiday party, ordering your secretary to do stupid things that don't really need to be done and the most ghastly of all tasks make important decisions. Additionally managing ungrateful workers can be a dangerous occupation they might get ideas like unionizing and demanding a fair wage. However with the Deluxe Space Tent you'll never have to worry about that since we've included a combination of our drop in entry way that your plebs workers are sure to never be able to enter:

and our free thought suppression device to ensure complete compliance with all delegated tasks:

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm 100% on board with anything even remotely as cyberpunk as permanently entombing somebody in their corporate workstation, which was built around them with no exits.

HardDisk posted:

Killdozer style.

Here's hoping

These products are currently in development to serve all of your middle and lower management needs.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

I think I found a bug, every time I use a jump drive it becomes harder to select control panels on objects. I've used it 4 times and now I cannot highlight any part of a flight seat to use it. Is this happening to any of you?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

I'm making automated airlocks since I cannot click any control panel from that jump drive bug :argh:. For my set up I have a sensor and four timer blocks per sliding door and a vent in the airlock.

From the outside:
Sensor 1 -> Depressurize the vent and start timer 1,
Timer 1 -> Start timer 2, turn off the outer sensor and the inner sensor, and open the outer sliding door,
Timer 2 -> Start timer 3, close the outer door, turn the depressurize off,
Timer 3 -> Start timer 4, open the inner door,
Timer 4 -> Close the inner door, turn the inner sensor and outer sensor on.

From the inside:
Sensor 2 -> Start timer 5 and open the inner door,
Timer 5-> Start timer 6, turn off the outer sensor and the inner sensor, and depressurize the vent,
Timer 6 -> Start timer 7, close the inner door,
Timer 7 -> Start timer 8, open the outer door,
Timer 8 -> Close the outer door, turn the outer sensor and inner sensor on, turn the vent depressurize off.

Is there any way to optimize that to use less timer blocks or sensors? The basic idea is depressurize -> open the outer door -> close the outer door -> repressurize -> open the inner door -> close the inner door. I have the sensor shut off to prevent both sequences happening at the same time and depressurizing the room.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Police Automaton posted:

I finally solved the issue with planets not working on my system - I got a better system.

Do most of you people play in creative or in actual survival? Even building a tiny shuttle seems to be ridiculously expensive in survival or am I doing something wrong? I can't even imagine what some of these big ships would cost to build.

I make stuff in creative then import it to a survival to mess around with. I'll try doing everything in survival when they've fixed the netcode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

I didn't think they could make the UI worse but, they did. They hid the blocks behind other blocks without any sort of hint in the controls of how to get to them and they have this really annoying thing in the middle of the screen of "Press R to change block size," without any indication of how to switch it off.

• Locked thread