Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
So the writing of the game is really focused on showing the gritty, base and muddy nature of the medieval world and part of that is how crude their language is. I assume in French this comes out much more strongly, and they have Arkail speak without artifice and Styx show some more low cunning in the way he talks. The translation, though, really doesn't have any tone and the writing comes off loose and floppy. The limp use of curse words is just a symptom of this, likely, rather than weak writing originally.

If you want to see a better example of how French writing likes to capture a more realistically motivated, more basically human world, compare any Dragon Age to Dishonored. Dragon Age is supposed to be a dirty, dark, gray world but never really does any of those well - all its "complicated" characters still measure themselves on a (very American, very philosophical) optimism-cynicism scale. When they act poorly, they know they are failing to live up to some moral standard and they freak out; meaning they are never gray, just white then black or vice versa. The NPCs in Dishonored have to deal their own motivations and the fallout from acting on them; meaning, for example, the genius inventor who sells you all your stuff and is sick with "brain fever" also can be caught spying on girls bathing. If you catch him, he's not super repentant and there's no further situation where he can "redeem" himself for such a fall; he just is who he is and you caught him in a mistake. He's sympathetic AND unsympathetic in a more basic and complicated way than "A child is possessed by a demon, do you KILL CHILD Y/N?!?!?!"

I guess this is a really long-winded way of justifying the frequent use of curse words, but the point I want to make here is that the writing is going for a specific tone, one that the translator did not catch or was not fully up to the task of realizing in English in a natural or believable way.

You can also hear the two real bugbears of American voice acting here: poor direction and poor production. In the first video (I think) there's a guard who has a bit of a Southern accent, which, while a strong character choice, is one that any decent voice director would shut down right quick for being way, way out of sync with the world. As for bad production quality, so far every line of dialogue sounds like it was delivered by an actor standing in front of a microphone - it never sounds like it's coming from a place in the world. If you need a clear example of that, you can watch basically any anime DVD (especially Cowboy Bebop) and switch between English and Japanese dialogue. When you hear Japanese, (usually) each line has been worked on by a sound engineer to make it sound like the character is speaking in a real place: a line spoken in a small room sounds different from a line spoken outside. Not so in English. Each line then sounds the same, and very flat, like someone speaking into a close-range microphone in an empty room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Yeah, I'm liking this game and this LP so far. Seems like some cool ideas even if the encounter design kinda falls flat.

I don't need to stat point allocations but I do appreciate watching the models equip new armor and whatnot. I'm super curious about what this Vial of Human Blood does.

• Locked thread