Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Lemma posted:

That Achie poo poo is almost Moral Orel season three hosed up.

Archie is slowly morphing from idealized Americana to a dark parody of idealized Americana. They are also developing a tv drama off Archie called Riverdale, the showrunner has said the shows primary inspiration is Twin Peaks.

As a request I suggest odd product of it's times, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

I dont know posted:

As a request I would an odd product of it's times, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker.

That game man. . . I think we had that on the list at some point, but if it's been requested, we could totally do it then. It's got a lot to say for those who are unfamiliar with it.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The game's name reminded me of the best arcade fighting game I ever played: Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness. Giant robots fighting each other, all their moves are supremely awesome. IIRC unlocking the secret character is a challenge unto itself (see if you manage to unlock the octobot).

Ooh. One of those too-good-for-overseas Saturn-era 2d classics. I think we may have to investigate.

I dont know posted:

Archie is slowly morphing from idealized Americana to a dark parody of idealized Americana. They are also developing a tv drama off Archie called Riverdale, the showrunner has said the shows primary inspiration is Twin Peaks.

As a request I suggest odd product of it's times, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker.

Gotta keep up with the times. I'm sure someone a hundred years in the future will have to study Archie comics as part of a pre-singularity lit course.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, I thought Moonwalker needed a trackball, like that one sonic game, and mentioned if you could get one going to play that. Looks like I was wrong, so I'm totally doubling down on my request.

XYBOTS looks quite fun. Kinda reminds me of the base stages in Contra.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Yay you used my request! :neckbeard: I'm confused, though. Your comment about Battle Balls suggested you've already played it, but if you did I missed the video...

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

FredMSloniker posted:

Yay you used my request! :neckbeard: I'm confused, though. Your comment about Battle Balls suggested you've already played it, but if you did I missed the video...

Well, without going too in depth on what goes behind the curtains, but we shot Battle Balls first, but it hasn't been put up yet. Worry yourself not, it is coming.

Oh it is coming.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The game's name reminded me of the best arcade fighting game I ever played: Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness. Giant robots fighting each other, all their moves are supremely awesome. IIRC unlocking the secret character is a challenge unto itself (see if you manage to unlock the octobot).

The Super-8 was pretty amusing, and Devilotte attained quite a lot of popularity despite only appearing in one game. Her dad was in the console version and had the Zero Akuma mech, which was a giant Akuma robot complete with robot versions of his SFA moveset.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

AMovieReference posted:

Oh it is coming.

It's literally coming, in my case. (I liked BB a whole bunch you see.)

Yeah, Senkyu ended up being my jam so hard that it basically obliterated our dollar formula; I was able to play for so long that we ended up with probably more than an hour of footage, so we're figuring out how to go about presenting the playthrough. Also I think there was some kind of audio issue that we're remedying? As we gain experience with the recording equipment etc we have had some frustrating and hilarious glitches come up.

SPEAKING OF THINGS GOING WRONG, today's vid is CarnEvil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ9E--fL0xk

Light gun games are all fine and good, but where did they get off charging 50 cents a run on this?

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Happy "It's not even god dammed halloween, stop playing christmas music already" month. We're a little early,, but we have a few more "scary" games coming up for the month, but first up is CarnEvil.

I wouldn't mind revisiting this game and trying some of the other levels, since it wouldn't just be us playing through the same stuff over and over again.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Lemma posted:

It's literally coming, in my case. (I liked BB a whole bunch you see.)

Yeah, Senkyu ended up being my jam so hard that it basically obliterated our dollar formula; I was able to play for so long that we ended up with probably more than an hour of footage, so we're figuring out how to go about presenting the playthrough. Also I think there was some kind of audio issue that we're remedying? As we gain experience with the recording equipment etc we have had some frustrating and hilarious glitches come up.

SPEAKING OF THINGS GOING WRONG, today's vid is CarnEvil:

Light gun games are all fine and good, but where did they get off charging 50 cents a run on this?

Arcade opperators can set the price of games using the dip switch settings. This game just seemed to ship set at 50¢ a credit, probably because at that point arcades were barely still a thing and a quarter wasn't much.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

I dont know posted:

Arcade opperators can set the price of games using the dip switch settings. This game just seemed to ship set at 50¢ a credit, probably because at that point arcades were barely still a thing and a quarter wasn't much.

Most games have a dipswitch setting allowing you to alter how much you have to pay (from a quarter to a dollar or free play), but this one had 50 cents as the smallest option. Annoying if you ask me.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
That first form of Hambone was stupid. How were you supposed to stop it from whittling down your health with the machine gun? Also, it seemed like it didn't matter where you shot them. Five headshots or five bodyshots seemed to kill the zombies.

Also, after reading the Wikipedia page on the game, it seems it was made by Midway (because they were well known for their stellar games), and that guy on the game over screen I'm guessing was the big bad guy and the final boss. Also, there was apparently two versions of the Freak Show level. One was demonic teddy bear called Deaddy, but the real one was a giant deformed baby called Junior.

As for the 50 cents being the lowest setting to play is lousy for a game that has some horrendous methods of reducing your life.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Hoss Corncave posted:

As for the 50 cents being the lowest setting to play is lousy for a game that has some horrendous methods of reducing your life.

I know! That's literally comparable to an American university. If poo poo's THAT slanted against you, you got some lovely game design.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lemma posted:

I know! That's literally comparable to an American university. If poo poo's THAT slanted against you, you got some lovely game design.

In other gun games, you have some way of staying safe and stopping damage.. In House of the Dead, you can shoot pretty much all projectiles. In Time Crisis, you can hide. In Virtua Cop, you have an indication of when enemies will attack (and in VC3, you can actually shoot bullets out of the sky with the Enhanced Sensory bullet time feature). In this, it's get shot with the machine gun and all you can do is try and reduce the damage you receive.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

Hoss Corncave posted:

In this, it's get shot with the machine gun and all you can do is try and reduce the damage you receive.

The only thing I'm going to say in DEFENSE for this game is that miniboss did have a way to stop, or at least limit the damage you take, problem is, i didn't really look like shooting the gun did any damage to him, cause if not(and even if it did)it seems like this game was meant to be played by two people at a time.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Ben Kasack posted:

The only thing I'm going to say in DEFENSE for this game is that miniboss did have a way to stop, or at least limit the damage you take, problem is, i didn't really look like shooting the gun did any damage to him, cause if not(and even if it did)it seems like this game was meant to be played by two people at a time.

The game is two player, but we only have one light gun, so it's definitely much tougher than normal. That's just the way it goes though, until we can grab another light gun. . .

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
It may be a holiday, but there is no rest for the arcade coinop LP game. Happy Monday Ghostwoods, it's BERZERK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlItzbUPm2Y

This was actually my first time playing this, but I'd heard of it before. For the record, the smilie face is actually called Evil Otto. This is actually a really cool game for the time, sort of like Wizard of Wor but the random dungeon layout is a touch of extra cool. Also it has voice clips, grating as they are, which is amazing for something from 1980. I remember reading about how it was hard for them to but the "SEGA!" sound clip into Sonic cartridges because it took up an eighth of their space, and that was a decade later.

Good request brah.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I'm glad you had fun with it! Berzerk was surprisingly good for the era, and the voice clips were pretty revolutionary. I seem to remember that Evil Otto was named after the security guy at the designer's previous office, who was a monstrous dickhead.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lemma posted:

Yeah, Senkyu ended up being my jam so hard that it basically obliterated our dollar formula; I was able to play for so long that we ended up with probably more than an hour of footage, so we're figuring out how to go about presenting the playthrough.

Huh. I take it you weren't playing in story mode? Or does that not end after you play all the opponents?

Maybe your main video could be versus mode - each of you has a dollar, last man standing - and you could have a supplementary long video?

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

Huh. I take it you weren't playing in story mode? Or does that not end after you play all the opponents?

Maybe your main video could be versus mode - each of you has a dollar, last man standing - and you could have a supplementary long video?

Actually we start off in vs mode, I end up beating Kyle whose entire dollar gets depleted, then I go on to the single player story. I know I don't finish it, but I get a ways in before I run out of quarters myself. It's a pretty fun time, I think we're just gonna have a longish series of videos, but it won't be for a few weeks because we (coincidentally) have a few more 'spooky' themed games for halloween, and I think Kyle said he was working to fix some kind of audio issue. But personally I think it's my favorite LP we did last 'session.'

Kangra
May 7, 2012

If you want another game to add to the list, try Two Tigers (co-op fighter planes trying to sink ships). This was my favorite for the longest time, and I'm wondering how it looks now.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It's too bad you won't be able to get the True Experience of playing the Arcade Gunblade. Its guns simulated recoil.

e: I mean if you played it for the thread

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You should play Vindicators - it's cool and good

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

I had Berzerk for Atari 2600... good times :3:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I like how the demo shows off the cool trick you can do with your character's neck. Specifically, the characters' hitboxes are based on their pixels, and since the protagonist has a gap between his head and body, it's possible for a horizontal shot to pass safely through it. Mind you, it's not terribly practical, as just a little more movement will get the bullet sailing over his head instead of aimed at a narrow target, but it's fun nonetheless.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

FredMSloniker posted:

I like how the demo shows off the cool trick you can do with your character's neck. Specifically, the characters' hitboxes are based on their pixels, and since the protagonist has a gap between his head and body, it's possible for a horizontal shot to pass safely through it. Mind you, it's not terribly practical, as just a little more movement will get the bullet sailing over his head instead of aimed at a narrow target, but it's fun nonetheless.

I noticed that as well when we were editing this. Even if I had figured that out, I don't think I'd bother in the game, it's ludicrously hard enough as it is, without trying to do anything fancy.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

AMovieReference posted:

I noticed that as well when we were editing this. Even if I had figured that out, I don't think I'd bother in the game, it's ludicrously hard enough as it is, without trying to do anything fancy.

I didn't have any problems beatin yo SCORE, sucka.

Anyway, who likes Super Smash Bros.? That's right, nobody! (I kid.) Today, we have the primordial Smash Bros. template, THE OUTFOXIES:

https://youtu.be/g25fOcltdUY

(It sucks.)

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Lemma posted:

Anyway, who likes Super Smash Bros.? That's right, nobody! (I kid.) Today, we have the primordial Smash Bros. template, THE OUTFOXIES:

https://youtu.be/g25fOcltdUY

(It sucks.)

Disregard his opinion, he is butt-hurt at his inability to be awesome at the game.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

looks like a kinda awesome game. And it looks like you edited out like half the jokes but still refer to them in the text (like the fighter in a wheel chair or a gorilla.) :thumbsup:

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Choco1980 posted:

looks like a kinda awesome game. And it looks like you edited out like half the jokes but still refer to them in the text (like the fighter in a wheel chair or a gorilla.) :thumbsup:

Yeah, the original was about like 18 minutes long with a few dead spots, so we trimmed it to the more interesting parts.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Just going to point out that a fighting game where an old man in a wheelchair fighting a monkey in a top hat and tails is your idea of "less interesting"...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Maybe you should add some sort of indication when there's been a cut for time? A fade, a Spongebob-esque TEN MINUTES LATER card, or something?

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

FredMSloniker posted:

Maybe you should add some sort of indication when there's been a cut for time? A fade, a Spongebob-esque TEN MINUTES LATER card, or something?

Well. . . this is the only episode that I think you can tell there was some metaling, as you guys didn't seem to notice in previous episodes. Usually it's only like an odd minute or 30 seconds or so.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I remember seeing the Outfoxies as part of a mystery game tournament at Hypespotting back in 2014. That game was dumb, but funny.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Hoss Corncave posted:

I remember seeing the Outfoxies as part of a mystery game tournament at Hypespotting back in 2014. That game was dumb, but funny.

Is Hypespotting a convention? It sounds like a G4 show. There is probably also a trainspotting joke in there.

Hey everyone! Is Jurassic World still topical? I don't know but if it is, that makes our new LP all the more topical: Jurassic Park light gun mu'fu'as!!!!!

https://youtu.be/pOo1TxrmzpM

It is.... wacky.

edit:

Only tangentially related, but anyone who doesn't already know about him should check out the work of Czech painter Zdenek Burian, who pretty much single-handedly implanted every visual concept of prehistoric life you ever had in your head. Granted a lot of his recreations are now known to be outdated, but his stuff is pretty interesting to look at, and they even copied a bunch of stuff from his book 'Life Before Man' wholesale for the prehistoric levels in Ecco the Dolphin.

Here seems to be most of the book I mentioned: http://www.dinosaurcorporation.com/burian.html

Lemma fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 16, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
loving hell, that's a lot of dinosaurs.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lemma posted:

Is Hypespotting a convention? It sounds like a G4 show. There is probably also a trainspotting joke in there.
It's a Scottish fighting game tournament run by Affro and the Versus Scotland guys. It's an incredibly fun event where everyone gets loud and has fun. I went to the first and third ones in 2012 and 2014 (the first one was when we kinda rigged the community voted game and got Virtua Fighter 5 in the lineup, while the second was just me heading up to see friends and play VF with them. It's probably the biggest FG tourney in the UK (although not exactly Evo-sized) now considering that Super Versus Battle doesn't seem to exist anymore and from what I heard was run pretty disastrously, and Hypespotting is a Premier event on the Capcom Pro Tour (meaning it's one of the 16 main tournaments in the world for the CPT), so they've done pretty well in a few years.

They also have a pub quiz on the Saturday night, which is always funny (don't let anyone see you use your phone). Plus when you have a wedding party next door and it's being drowned out by several hundred people singing the Wily Fortress theme from Megaman 2 at loud volume, you can't beat that kind of silliness. Oh, and yes, the name is a play on Trainspotting.

Lemma posted:

Hey everyone! Is Jurrassic World still topical? I don't know but if it is, that makes our new LP all the more topical: Jurrassic Park light gun mu'fu'as!!!!!

https://youtu.be/pOo1TxrmzpM

It is.... wacky.
I always liked that game. It was a fun game with soooo many raptors.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Ghostwoods posted:

loving hell, that's a lot of dinosaurs.

That must be where they put all the dinosaurs they didn't put in Trespasser. :v:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
didn't realise sega did a jurassic park game before the model 3 version - which was loving amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

JFairfax posted:

didn't realise sega did a jurassic park game before the model 3 version - which was loving amazing

That'll learn me to comment before watching the video. I thought this was going to be The Lost World one.

Which incidentally you guys can now play via Supermodel.

• Locked thread