Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Jimmy, some quick questions.

Are the mines still drifting north?

Can the other side see our mines on the surface?

If they can see them, how close does the other side need to be before they can see them?

What direction is the wind blowing?

How long does it take for the smokescreen to dissipate?

Are there relevant fire control bonuses/penalties? i.e. do older ships have a harder time hitting targets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Bacarruda posted:

Jimmy, some quick questions.

Are the mines still drifting north?

Can the other side see our mines on the surface?

If they can see them, how close does the other side need to be before they can see them?

What direction is the wind blowing?

How long does it take for the smokescreen to dissipate?

Are there relevant fire control bonuses/penalties? i.e. do older ships have a harder time hitting targets?

Phone posting so answers will be short, my apologies.

Yes, but they're drifting slowly.

It's possible for them to see your mines.

It depends on visibility, but some will be easier to see than others, dumping a bunch of inert mines in one go creates a rather visible patch.

It's blowing north slowly.

It depends on wind and other things. Your engineers think the smoke should last another good 10 to 20 minutes.

Ships do have different fire controls and bonuses and penalties. Older ships will have a harder go at it, but give the crew enough field experience and theyll getcmore accurate.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Bad luck. Zenteno's probably a goner. That's 119 VPs lost.

At this point, the San Marcans have us in a pincer.

Their western force has two options. One, form line of battle and steam SE to engage us. Two, enter the smokescreen and try to close the distance to us under cover, before emerging to engage. Their western destroyers will probably try and charge in to torpedo the Zenteno.

Their northern force will probably send destroyers through the smokescreen to scout and make torpedo attacks. Their battleships will probably follow.

Bottom line: they have us in the jaws of a trap I don't intend to get caught in the jaws of that trap.

--

At this point, a fighting retreat is our best option. Here's a rough sketch of my intentions for the next few turns.

Whatever we do, we have to be careful. If any ship takes damage that slows it below 18 knots, its dead. They'll pick off and eat stragglers for lunch.

We have a very brief engagement window in the next 5-7 minutes. Their northern force will still be obscured by the smokescreen, which allows us to focus everything we have on the Los Santanos. I want to jettison mines, form line of battle, and hammer the Los Santanos with our main batteries.

Before their northern fleet can come into play, we'll head due east at max speed, trying to draw the enemy into our minefield. The main battle line will form up line abreast to maximize firepower from their stern batteries. Have the battleships and cruisers ready to lay smoke if needed.

The destroyers will briefly linger behind, using the smokescreen to launch torpedo and gun attacks. After making one attack (or once the main battle force has pulled away), they will rejoin the fleet. Half will stay in the rear to provide smoke cover if needed while Astuto and Amable deploy their paravanes and sweep for mines ahead.

It's very likely they will have ships shadow our fleet if we manage to break out of range. They will probably attempt to ambush us using the small force currently off Aquila and try to slow us until their main battle force can engage.

With that said, I think our best best is to head south and have 1st Patrol Fleet steam to support us. We can use nightfall to shake our tail, then proceed north of Isla Falkand to lay an ambush for them if they attempt to shell our home port.

---

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 15, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Well, that sure is something. Some more questions for Jimmy:

Do we know what effective speed the Zenteno is limited to right now?

What are the orientations of Zenteno's static torpedo launchers?

Are there any of our already deployed minefields nearby-ish, and if so in which direction do they lie?

In which direction does San Robert lie, relative to our current view of the map, and how close is it?

I'm also not certain if primarily targeting Los Santanos is particularly worth it. It's armoured to all gently caress and is very hardy, not really the kind of thing that some hasty long-range fire during a running battle could really put much of a dent into. Targeting some of the lighter battleships or cruisers instead seems more likely to inflict damage that would actually put a ship out of commission for a while.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 15, 2015

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Jimmy, are there accuracy penalties if multiple ships target one individual ship?

Also, what are the turret arrangements (i.e. for-and-aft, centerline guns, etc.)? Do they affect what guns can come to bear and when?

Is plunging fire modeled?

Perestroika posted:

I'm also not certain if primarily targeting Los Santanos is particularly worth it. It's armoured to all gently caress and is very hardy, not really the kind of thing that some hasty long-range fire during a running battle could really put much of a dent into. Targeting some of the lighter battleships or cruisers instead seems more likely to inflict damage that would actually put a ship out of commission for a while.

Los Santanos is the big swinging dick of their fleet. It only needs 77DP before it starts losing its 12" and 6" guns. If we've got the main and the long-range secondary batteries of the main battle line firing broadsides we can throw appx. ten 14", eight 10", fourteen 7.5", nine 6", and six 8" shells at them per volley.

That's a pretty solid volume of fire, especially since we're in a position to (briefly) cross their T. The odds of getting multiple hits in the next 5-10 minutes is very good.

Los Santanos is also the only battlewagon they've got that can do 20 knots. That means the big fucker can chase us for the rest of the day, slinging big shells at us. I want to knock a couple of knots off her speed.

Also, there's a chance of a lucky hit that may hit direction finders, the bridge, ammo magazines, etc.

You're right that hitting their weaker targets may pay some dividends (Our cruiser O'Henry is tougher than their Garibaldi battleships).

Perhaps we should split things up. Have the main guns of 2nd Battle Fleet focus on the Los Santanos and have the secondaries of 2nd Fleet and all 1st Fleet's guns hit their next-closet battleship?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ah, I hadn't quite noticed just how fragile its guns are. Yeah, in that case I agree that we should pour as much fire into it as we can to expedite our retreat, and maybe give conditional orders to our cruisers to shift their fire on other targets of opportunity if they get sufficiently close.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

:sire: Orders for 2nd Battle Fleet "siren:

BATRON 2, follow indicated course. Continue laying mines as long as your mines will not endanger friendly vessels. Prepare smoke generators. Dump mines at marked point, use short burst of smoke to cover dumped mine patch. Fan out during dumping operations, so that friendly ships are not running through your jettisoned mines.

Once mines are dumped, accelerate to 15 knots.

Justicia and Huracan will concentrate all fire on the Los Santanos. Have them alternate their volleys so that they have some chance of differentiating the fall of shot. Have each ship Toro pick another target and engage it. Engage enemy destroyers with secondary fire if they close to within 9,000 yards.

DESRON 2 and DESRON 3, occupy marked positions in smokescreen. Keep one destroyer at edge of screen so spot. Keep rest of vessels hidden in smoke. Produce additional smoke as needed.

Ambush their northern force if it comes through the smoke. Use guns on destroyers. Torpedoes on cruisers and battleships. If any enemy vessels hit mines, dash in to engage with torpedoes. Approach capital ships from the bow for as long as feasible, since they have fewer secondary guns there.

----

Perestroika, The best hope for the Zenteno is to lay smoke and crawl for the safety of the northern smokescreen. That'll at least get it out of fire and buy it some time. Good luck to your brave men.

---

Signal officer, Send this message in the clear. Let's see if the San Marcans are listening.

signals officer posted:

To [i]Libertad and 1st Cruiser Squadron: Glad to hear you are approaching station. Send word when you have sighted enemy fleet. Hostiles should be due east of you.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 15, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

1st Fleet Orders

Zenteno will continue deploying smoke to offer some measure of protection as it tries to get the engine room situation under control. If feasible, it will head directly north to try and seek shelter in the already deployed smokefield and eventually try to join up with the destroyers. If the damage is too severe and it's judged that it is likely that it might end up powerless in the path of the drifting mines, it will instead move after the rest of the fleet on a southern route at best possible speed.

Being the ships most likely to receive fire from the western force first, Viento and O'Henry will dump their remaining mines right away. They will fall into the battle line behind 2nd Fleet, somewhat offset to the southeast to make sure they don't run into any of their laid or dumped mines.

At first, they will both target ships other than the Los Santanos at their discretion. Once first fleet's battleships manage straddling shots on Los Santanos, Viento will shift its fire on it as well. Viento will communicate with Huracan (as their armaments are identical) and request their firing solution to expedite finding its own range.

Edit: Revised targeting orders.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 15, 2015

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Perestroika posted:

Well, that sure is something. Some more questions for Jimmy:

Do we know what effective speed the Zenteno is limited to right now?

What are the orientations of Zenteno's static torpedo launchers?

Are there any of our already deployed minefields nearby-ish, and if so in which direction do they lie?

In which direction does San Robert lie, relative to our current view of the map, and how close is it?

It was in the middle of accelerating, since the turn it had done burned off a lot of speed. It was moving around 12 kts when it was hit, but now speed will fall, the captain isn't sure what it'll be to and for how long. I know the speed, but mechanically with the fog of war it is unknown to the players.

Zenteno's torpedo launchers are all in fixed spots, two on the bow, one for each side pointing outwards at 45 degree angles and one on the stern.

Your already laid minefields are closer to the south, near San Roberts. Nearest one will be around 2 ish nautical miles away to the South. Just a note though, offensive minefileds like there don't have safe passages.

As I said earlier when Bacarruda asked, your roughly six nautical miles from San Roberts, just a bit off their horizon. the island is to the South of your position.

Bacarruda posted:

Jimmy, are there accuracy penalties if multiple ships target one individual ship?

Also, what are the turret arrangements (i.e. for-and-aft, centerline guns, etc.)? Do they affect what guns can come to bear and when?

Is plunging fire modeled?

Yes, there are accuracy penalties for multiple ships targeting one ship since the spotters can't tell which shells are theirs.

Each ship has different arraignments for their turrets, yes they affect which guns can be brought to bear. As a general rule, unless the broadside is being presented, a ship is only firing with some of its turrets.

Plunging fire is modeled.

Also Battleships do not have smoke generators, so only cruisers and destroyers can lay smoke.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 15, 2015

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Yes, there are accuracy penalties for multiple ships targeting one ship since the spotters can't tell which shells are theirs.

Each ship has different arraignments for their turrets, yes they affect which guns can be brought to bear. As a general rule, unless the broadside is being presented, a ship is only firing with some of its turrets.

Plunging fire is modeled.

Also Battleships do not have smoke generators, so only cruisers and destroyers can lay smoke.

Good to know. Orders revised to reflect this.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Just heads up, I had a busy day today so likely the turn won't be up until tomorrow. Sorry about that.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
0628-0632

The Viento and O’Henry’s captains receive their orders and dump their mines overboard. Almost a hundred spherical objects splash overboard as the two large ships. The crews breath an audible sigh of relief as the last mine rolls over, one last threat for the crew.

With new fire control orders, the various turrets of the fleet adjust their coordinates as they begin to let lose with a new torrent of fire.

Looking in the distance, the Platan warships are rewarded for their hard work as hit is reported on the Los Santanos! In the distance, the battleship behind the Los Santanos also appears to take a hit, as smoke appears out of the forward section of the ship, and it appears to slow down.

The Justica receives a small shell to its turret, the shrapnel killing an unfortunate pair of ensigns patrolling the deck, but otherwise, superficial damage is reported all across the board.

As the ships of the enemy fleet begin to smoke, your crews feel elated at their successes so far. This is tempered slightly when the fleet’s next barrage only scored one minor hit on the Los Santanos.
As a grim portent, the enemy responds. The faint whirling of shells is heard by the men as the smak packets of thinders barrel in on the ships.

The Justica shakes violently when a shell strikes its deck. A mountain of black smoke erupts from beneath deck. The captains heart skips a beat when he thinks the magazine was struck. The engineers radios up

Engineer posted:

Sir!
The fuel bunker has been hit! We’ve got a massive fire below deck, we’re trying to extinguish!
In a panic, the captain of the Justica orders his mines discarded post hast. Dozens of metal spheres roll into the sea, the other ships, seeing this, dump their mines too before the captain can stop them.
The O’Henry reports a minor hit passing through its deck.

Looking in the distance, a hail of shells fall on the poor Zenteno. After a pair strikes home and sends a volume of black smoke and orange fire into the air at the rear of the ship, the crew is seen scrambling overboard.
Her captain radios.
[quote=Zenteno Captain
Admirals!
My ship has sustained too much damage, it is untenable to remain out here, I am ordering an abandon ship. Godspeed, give these Marcans hell![/quote]

In fury over the sinking of the Zenteno, the crews on the Platan fleet redouble their efforts. Even when the Justica shakes under a hit to the super structure, they do not flinch from their duty. Their efforts are rewarded when the shells fly and another hit is seen on the ship behind the Los Santanos, identified as the Constitution by spotters. At it slows even more, the crews feel confident, though the Los Santanos has completed its turn and is now presenting its full broadside to the fleet, while the Platans are still completing their turns.

Beneith the decks of the Justica though, the damage control personnel continue to wrestle with the fire in the coal bunker, bringing the ships speeds down even more.

The destroyer squadron remains hidden by the smoke.

Zenteno is still on the board due to not literally being beneath the waves, an your destroyers are all in that spot for convenience sake when editing the map.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Well, shame about the Zenteno, but at least it seems like our brave sailors will be able to evacuate in good order.

It seems like for the moment there's not much to be done except to stick to the plan and keep shooting. The damage to the Justicia is a problem, but hopefully it will be resolved by the time we have to disengage. At least we managed to cripple one would-be pursuer in return, and given the fragility of Garibaldi class ships we might be able to take it out of action for a while or even permanently.

Jimmy, since it seems like the Los Santanos has been successfully ranged by 2nd Fleet, has the Viento already shifted its fire on it?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Jimmy, thanks for running this game! I've had quite a lot of fun so far!

What is Justicia's current speed?

If I flood the burning bunker, what speed does the chief engineer think we can make?

How long does it take to reload torpedoes?

What's the current heading of the main battle line? They should be wheeling left now and starting to sail north, but I'm looking at the image and am a little confused about where they are facing. I'm also not sure which direction the San Marcan ships are sailing.

If MS Paint won't let you orient objects at 45-degree angles, you can use paint.net. It'll let you rotate objects. It will also let you use layers in an image, which you can use to put down hexes, smoke, enemy ships, etc and then easily remove or hide them.

--

:siren: Orders for 2nd Battle Fleet :siren:

BATRON 2, jettison any remaining mines. Follow indicated course, proceed at Jusiticia's maximum speed. Justicia and Huracan, concentrate all fire on the Los Santanos. Toro, continue engaging your current target. All ships engage enemy destroyers with secondary fire if they close to within 9,000 yards.

Justicia, make best possible speed. If bunker fire cannot be extinguished in 20 minutes, flood the bunker.

If Justicia's loses power and stops, Toro is to immediately screen it with smoke.

DESRON 2 and DESRON 3, time for a Hail Mary. Godspeed.

Activo will follow the marked course 20 knots and peek out the northern edge of the smokescreen, trying to spot the enemy's northern force. Once the enemy force is spotted, it will turn back into the smoke and make 30 knots and proceed to the makred point.

DESRON 3 and one ship of DESRON 2 (Atlético) will head due west at 30 knots. Turn smoke generators on.

Use the existing smokescreen as cover. If the current smoke dissipates, use the new smoke of the leading destroyer to screen your attack, but press one all the same.

On reaching the marked position, stop laying smoke. Briefly emerge from the smokescreen and make torpedo and gun attacks. If captains need to slow their vessels to make accurate shots, they may do so, but do not drop below 15 knots. Have two destroyers engage each target, if possible. Battleships are the top priority targets.

Once each ships' torpedoes are fired, they will head back into the smoke ASAP. Have crews reload torpedoes as fast as possible.

Proceed back through the smokescreen along the marked route at 30 knots. Continue laying smoke. Take care to avoid mines. If any enemy ships are encountered in the smoke, engage them with guns (and torpedoes, if possible) and seek to quickly break contact by heading east.

----

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 17, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So yeah, not a whole lot to add this time around:

1st Fleet Orders

Both Viento and O'Henry will fall into the battle line behind 2nd Fleet, moving at their speed. Viento will shift its fire on Los Santanos, if it hasn't already done so, communicating with Huracan to expedite that targeting process.
O'Henry will continue to fire upon its current target. If that target becomes unavailable (due to being out of range/sight or destroyed), it will shift to another target that is not the Los Santanos, preferably another Garibaldi-class battleship.

If enemy destroyers come within range of the secondary armaments (i.e. 6" and smaller), those guns are to open up on them.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Bacarruda posted:

Jimmy, thanks for running this game! I've had quite a lot of fun so far!

What is Justicia's current speed?

If I flood the burning bunker, what speed does the chief engineer think we can make?

How long does it take to reload torpedoes?

What's the current heading of the main battle line? They should be wheeling left now and starting to sail north, but I'm looking at the image and am a little confused about where they are facing. I'm also not sure which direction the San Marcan ships are sailing.

If MS Paint won't let you orient objects at 45-degree angles, you can use paint.net. It'll let you rotate objects. It will also let you use layers in an image, which you can use to put down hexes, smoke, enemy ships, etc and then easily remove or hide them.

----

Justica is currently at 8 kts and speed is falling.

The engineer reports that flooding the bunker will leave the Justica only able to move at 8-10 kts as most of the fuel will be soaked. He also warns that flooding the bunker will reduce the range of the ship, though its currently indeterminate for the moment.

The line is moving north, it took a couple turns to execute the turn.

Thanks for the Paint link, that helps me a lot actually for angular rotation! :)

Also a warning, smoke usually dissipates after 10 minutes, but winds have been keeping in the field, but winds are shifting and the smoke will likely start dissipating in several minutes! I misread a rule and am feeling kind of dumb right now!:

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Justica is currently at 8 kts and speed is falling.

The engineer reports that flooding the bunker will leave the Justica only able to move at 8-10 kts as most of the fuel will be soaked. He also warns that flooding the bunker will reduce the range of the ship, though its currently indeterminate for the moment.

Got it. We'll hold off on flooding the bunkers.

Have the chief engineer keep me and the flag captain posted about the situation. If there's damage to the boilers, the engines, or any of the other machinery, I want him to tell us immediately.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Working on the update today, I tried to move the map from GIMP/Inkscape to the paint app you linked me Bacrruda and unfortunately its not copying over properly and I really don't want to have to redraw everything, so for the rest of this battle I'll probably be using Inkscape and for future ones I'll use paint.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
0632-0636

The fire in the Justica’s fuel bunker continues to burn as firefighting crews try and put it out. Unfortunately more fuel is burned and smoke enters some of the ships ventilation systems.

Looking to the distance, one ship move towards the recently hit Garabaldi-Class cruiser and starts spewing smoke, which confuses the gunners to a degree.

With the Justica’s drop in speed, the ships of BATRON 2 slow with the beleaguered flagship. Whistles around the fleet ensigns easily hack at the lines and cables holding the fleet’s mines. Hundreds of the deadly explosives tumble into the water, but without their primers activate, they’ll mostly be inert.

The brave destroyers of DESCON 2 and 3 sally out, each moving as fast as possible to their respective assembly points. They warm up their smoke generators once more to prepare for laying the next layer of smoke, as the current layers starts to dissipate. Meanwhile, the guns of the fleet angle to acquire the new firing solutions presented.

The Justica shudders before it fires, several shells slam into the hull, though two appear to have passed through with minimal damage while a third explodes in a mercifully empty store room. The Hurrucan reports that it’s suffered two hits which failed to detonate. Still though, the Justica’s speed is reduced slightly and one of its main guns is still offline.

The Justica’s watch officer notes the enemy destroyers are within range specified by the admirals directives. Ordering the smaller turrets to switch to conventional rounds, they fire dozens of shells at the smaller ships.

The switch to normal ammunition seems to have paid off, one destroyer vanishes in a fireball as more than six shells strike it. The second nearest destroyers veers sharply as it’s hulled, but still floats. Most of the shells fired at the enemy battleships fall short, though one lucky shot from the O’Henry manages to hit the next ship in the enemy line!

Your smoke screens recede more, though the destroyers in DESCRON 2 and 3 fire up their smoke generators and begin to renew parts of the field. In other good news, the Justica’s engineer reports that they’ve managed to put down one of the smaller fires, but warns there are several more in the bunker.

In the distance, the damaged battleship of the Garabaldi class vanishes behind a smoke screen generated by one of the Marcan cruisers. However, two other Garabaldi classes vessels appear out of the smoke on their previous heading. Furthermore, watchers on the Viento report sighting yet another Garabaldi class steaming past the old smoke screen, making it the fifth vessel of that accursed class to appear on the field.
As the ships attempt to fire on the enemy destroyers, they make an abrupt course change and move into the smokescreen. Several shots fired from the battle line are to little effect, as the three ships vanish into the cloud, the last one smoking heavily.

Moving into the north, the destroyer Activo emerges from one of the breaks in the smoke bank, only to the horror of the captain, emerge practically right next to a Marcan battlegroup, desperately ordering a hard turn, the destroyer whips around at thirty knots, trying to return to the smoke bank. An intrepid weapons officers, with little time to coordinate a heading, fires off a pair of torpedoes from the mounting at the nearby destroyer/cruiser squadron. As is wheels away, thirty seconds later, a thunderclap, followed by an explosive geyser of water erupt on the side of the Espora. Five seconds later, another one comes from the middle of the small cruiser. A sickening metallic groan is hear as what looks to be the front of the ship sheers off and sinks beneath the waves. The back half keels over and slips beneath the waves as well.
Elsewhere ,the Platan battle fleet begins to prepare another barrage.

The Activo, despite its valiant attempts to evade the enemy, cannot doge more than five dozen shells fired at close range. A pair of explosive hit its torpedo rack in mid reload and the small destroyer vanishes in a vicious fireball.

Swivelling their turrets, the main battle line opens fire on their targets. Sadly apart from a pair of minor strikes on the Garabaldi class, no real damage is observed in the enemy fleet. Suddenly the Justica lists sharply to the starboard for several seconds as the number two primary turret is blasted off the ship by a direct strike. Dazed, the crew thrown violently to the side once more as the ship shudders from another hit. Finding their footing, once more they’re blasted to the side.

The ships hallways go dark for several seconds as emergency red lighting kicks in. Klaxons wail

Justica Damage Chief Engineer posted:

ADMIRALS!
We’ve got two fires! One in the forward and one in the rear magazine! We’re trying to reach the emergency flood control! If we don’t stop these blazes soon, the whole ship could blow up at any moment!

[i]Mechanically, what’ll happen is at the beginning of each turn for the next three turns, I have to roll the percentile dice. On a 1-59, the crews manage to flood the magazine successfully, on a 60-79, secondary explosions occur, causing more damage to the ship. On an 80-100, the magazine blows up, taking the ship with it. With two fires, the odds of your ship biting it…have gone up.

Strangely, the damage seems to have opened a small hole in the fuel bunker, with water seeping in, the fire in the fuel hold is dying down.

The chief engineer reports that the forward magazine has been successfully flooded after a pair of volunteers entered the forward inferno and turned the emergency cranks. This is confirmed a minute later as the bow takes a noticeable dip forward into the sea.

In the aft of the ship though, things aren’t going well. Another damage control party almost reached the release valve, but were killed when a shell exploded in the magazine. The Justica is rocked once more by this violent force.

The initial fuel bunker fire is still smoldering, though is far more diminished than before.

With the Justica taking serious damage and in danger of exploding, the captains of the Toro and O’Henry act. Pushing their ships to maximum speed, they wheel around as fast as they can, ordering their crews to start the smoke generators without warming them up. While this will play hell with the gears and likely cause the engines to malfunction, they start belching smoke without the two minute warm up and start to create a visual barricade near the fleet.

With the Justica’s guns out of action, the Viento and Hurucan, with one last sighing on the Los Santanos before it vanishes behind smoke, open fire with everything they have.
Sadly, none of the shells seem to find their mark.

The destroyer squadron reports that they believe that they’re a little more than halfway to their destination. The smoke makes it hard to see, even with it dissipating.

Aboard the justice, the entire crew shares a moment of dread as two shells slam into the ship, thinking it to be the end. Many close their eyes, only to open them a few seconds later. A cheer comes from the top of the conning tower. Duds! Both were duds. Filled with renewed vigor, the damage control teams set to work once more…

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 19, 2015

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

The score so far:

San Marcan Navy Losses:
Cruiser Espora (sunk by Activo's torpedoes)
unknown Destroyer (sunk by BATRON 2's gunfire)
Destroyer Serpiente (sunk/heavily damaged by mines off Isla Tropico)
Destroyer Tigre (sunk/heavily damaged by mines off Isla Tropico)

La Platan Navy Losses:
Cruiser Zenteno (sunk by gunfire) 119VP
Destroyer Activo (sunk by gunfire) 25VP

By ships sunk, we're winning!

---

Jimmy, what's the damage on the Justicia?. From what you've said, A Turret's magazines have been flooded. B Turret was knocked out by a shell and had it's magazines flooded. X Turret and Y Turret are in danger of catching fire and still have not had their magazines flooded. The coal bunker fire has been largely put out by flooding, but is still smouldering.

What speed are we making now? What speed does the chief engineer think we can make?

Have the secondary gun magazines been flooded? Can the secondary guns still fire?

Really digging the flavor text you're writing. I was on the edge of my seat reading this updated.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 19, 2015

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Bacarruda posted:

Jimmy, what's the damage on the Justicia?. From what you've said, A Turret's magazines have been flooded. B Turret was knocked out by a shell and had it's magazines flooded. X Turret and Y Turret are in danger of catching fire and still have not had their magazines flooded. The coal bunker fire has been largely put out by flooding, but is still smouldering.

What speed are we making now? What speed does the chief engineer think we can make?

Have the secondary gun magazines been flooded? Can the secondary guns still fire?

Really digging the flavor text you're writing. I was on the edge of my seat reading this updated.

The forward magazine for the main guns in the bow is gone, so they won't be able to fire, and with the aft magazine fire, the stern main guns won't be able to fire for the rest of the battle as well either. The #2 main turret is gone (you have 5 turrets for main guns) so that's more damage. The secondary magazines are still fine, so your smaller guns could still fire.

The chief engineer thinks once the fires are out he can make 10 kts at most.

Gla your enjoying the flavor text, though I will apologize for the typos and grammar errors I make, it takes several hours to process a turn so I tend to lose track of some of the flavor text in-between.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goddamn, this is turning out to be vicious. I honestly hadn't expected the fire to be quite so effective at these ranges, but it's nice to see that we're at least giving as well as we get.

However, we are in somewhat a pickle. We should be trying to disengage soon, but at 10 knots that's not exactly an easy task. Leaving behind the Justicia is not a palatable option either. It seems like the best option is to bloody their noses to such a degree that they're too scattered to mount a reasonable pursuit. So maybe have the main body already start falling back roughly east-by-southeast while the destroyers fart torpedoes everywhere and then try their best to catch up under the cover of the remaining smoke? Hopefully their lead pursuit elements will run into a mine or three, which should slow them down even further.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Ouch, Justicia's gotten rocked pretty hard. Did we just get unlucky?

Jimmy4400nav posted:

The forward magazine for the main guns in the bow is gone, so they won't be able to fire, and with the aft magazine fire, the stern main guns won't be able to fire for the rest of the battle as well either. The #2 main turret is gone (you have 5 turrets for main guns) so that's more damage. The secondary magazines are still fine, so your smaller guns could still fire.

Wait, if we have five gun turrets, what is the gun layout?

It is something like this?

If it is, is there a chance one of the gun turrets wasn't affected by the flooding?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Goddamn, this is turning out to be vicious. I honestly hadn't expected the fire to be quite so effective at these ranges, but it's nice to see that we're at least giving as well as we get.

However, we are in somewhat a pickle. We should be trying to disengage soon, but at 10 knots that's not exactly an easy task. Leaving behind the Justicia is not a palatable option either. It seems like the best option is to bloody their noses to such a degree that they're too scattered to mount a reasonable pursuit. So maybe have the main body already start falling back roughly east-by-southeast while the destroyers fart torpedoes everywhere and then try their best to catch up under the cover of the remaining smoke? Hopefully their lead pursuit elements will run into a mine or three, which should slow them down even further.

Yeah, everybody is getting the poo poo kicked out of them. Being outnumbered is really working against us, as I feared it might.

We've still got a chance of getting out of this.

I'd like to have the destroyers dash from the smoke and engage 1-2 of their western battleships. That will hopefully make them more nervous about closing with us and might even get us a few kills.

I think our best hope is to lure them into the minefield. If we can bag one or two of their battleships, or even a lighter ship. It should heavily dissuade them from chasing us.

Justicia needs to be covered with smoke until she can get her magazines flooded and the bunker fire under control. Once she can get back up to speed, she can rejoin the line and start fighting again with her 6 inchers.

Once we can get her up to speed, we need to break contact and run as fast as we can. The destroyers and cruisers can lay smoke to help screen them.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Bacarruda posted:

Ouch, Justicia's gotten rocked pretty hard. Did we just get unlucky?

Wait, if we have five gun turrets, what is the gun layout?

It is something like this?

If it is, is there a chance one of the gun turrets wasn't affected by the flooding?

The Justica is more like this:

The center main turret still has its ammo untouched by the fires.

And yes you got a real unlucky roll there, the enemy rolled a one, which meant three shells hit, and then none of them rolled as duds and all penetrated so they did the most damage they could. After that all of the three rolled as critical hits (for AP shells, not to difficult, all AP penetrating hits have a 65% chance of being crits). So yeah, the dice did not come up in your favor here, though the torpedo hit was one where it did.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Once again, not a whole lot to say.

1st Fleet Orders

O'Henry will continue laying smoke, trailing slightly behind and to the left of the Justicia. Viento will maintain its position behind Huracan, staying outside of the smoke.

Targeting orders for both are to just fire at any enemy ship that presents itself, prioritising first the Los Santanos, and after that those enemy ships that appear to target the Justicia. Closing destroyers are to be engaged with secondary armaments.

Edit: Adjusted orders to mesh with Bacarruda's

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 20, 2015

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Orders for Second Battle Fleet

BATRON 2, follow the marked course. All ships except Justicia, focus fire on the Los Santanos. Toro, screen Justicia with smoke. All ships, follow Justicia's max speed.

Take following formation:

Perestroika, if possible, join this formation.

Justicia, have the crew hoist shells and powder from the center turret (P Turret) and move them to A Turret. Get A Turret back in action. Keep trying to flood the X and Y turret magazines and extinguish fires. Chief Engineer, give me as much speed as you can.

DESRON 2 and 3, continue mission.

Bacarruda posted:

DESRON 3 and one ship of DESRON 2 (Atlético) will head due west at 30 knots. Turn smoke generators on.

Use the existing smokescreen as cover. If the current smoke dissipates, use the new smoke of the leading destroyer to screen your attack, but press one all the same.

On reaching the marked position, stop laying smoke. Briefly emerge from the smokescreen and make torpedo and gun attacks. If captains need to slow their vessels to make accurate shots, they may do so, but do not drop below 15 knots. Have two destroyers engage each target, if possible. Battleships are the top priority targets.

Target the marked battleships

Once each ships' torpedoes are fired, they will head back into the smoke ASAP. Have crews reload torpedoes as fast as possible.

Proceed back through the smokescreen along the marked route at 30 knots. Continue laying smoke. Take care to avoid mines. If any enemy ships are encountered in the smoke, engage them with guns (and torpedoes, if possible) and seek to quickly break contact by heading east.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Just a heads up I had a long day at work today, and I'm going to a memorial service tomorrow, so likely the next update wont be for a day or two.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
0638-0642

Engineers on the Justica have been distracted fighting the fire in the aft magazine, diverting precious firefighting material from the fuel bunker fire. The secondary explosion several minutes prior sent flaming debris into the bunker, igniting another coal pile.

Chief Engineer posted:

Captain!
We’ve managed to reach the emergency vale in the aft magazine, we’ve flooded it and the fire is out!

A cheer erupts across the bridge, with the magazine fire out, for the moment the possibility of the Justica exploding has diminished significantly.

#3 Turret Gunnery Officer posted:

Captain!
We’re trying to transport ammunition from our magazine to the other functional turrets, but we don’t have connectors between our turrets so, we’d have to move our shells and powder by hand! We can try, but it’ll take several minutes to try and move the shells and if we get hit that’ll add more fuel to the fire!

Descron 2 Commodore posted:

Contact! Contact! We’ve been spotted by destroyers in the smoke screen. Returning fire! We’ll try and complete the mission! For La Plata!

In the distance, a small explosion is briefly seen in the smoke screen near the enemy fleet.

The Viento and Huracan adjust their positions, but have no solution on the Los Santanos, adjusting their turrets for the moment, they train them on one of the undamaged Garibaldi classes. With their position, they manage to unleash a full broadside on the battleship.

More than six dozen shells whistle through the air, honing in the cluster of battleships. Geysers of water erupt all around the target showering the battleship in water. Suddenly, a massive column of fire erupts from the bow of the ship, large pieces of metal are sheered from the ship and hurtled more than a hundred feet into the air. The bow section vanishes without a trace, while the rear, still being propelled forward rapidly sinks below the waves until its props are exposed, still turning. What’s left of the hulk rapidly keels over and vanishes in the gentle surf.

The fire on the Justica continues to burn in the fuel bunker, the embers smolder in the coal piles.

The Toro and O’Henry continue to lay smoke to cover the Justica’s retreat. The Viento and Huracan maneuver away from the smoke to begin forming a secondary firing line.
The Toro begins to take shell fire from the enemy fleet, ducking and weaving, if attempts to avoid taking fire. A gout of flame erupts from the rear a minute later though as a shell strikes the cruiser. A fire erupts in the rear and spreads quickly. Before the crew can do anything, a shell in the secondary magazine explodes due to the heat. Initiating a chain reaction, other shells explode, tearing a hole in the side of the Toro. Its side ripped open, it capsizes into the sea.

Emerging from the smoke, the Arrogante and Amable steam parallel to the enemy fleet and unleash a broadside from their torpedoes. The four deadly fish stream towards the nearby Marcan cruiser. The cruiser responds by lobbing shells in rapid sequence. Amable reports taking three hits, its boilers punctured by shrapnel. Warning klaxons can be heard over the radio. In the distance, a small explosion is seen near the coning tower of the Los Santanos.

Viento, Hurcan and O’Henry continue to trade fire with the enemy fleet.

Another pile of coal ignites in the fuel bunker as the fire crews try and contain the bunker, choking back the smoke, the men continue their fight.

The destroyers move back into the smoke cloud. The rest of Descron 2 radios that its trying to find the enemy destroyers or some kind of exit from the smoke.

The rest of the fleet maneuvers to ty and better cover the Justica, luckily only a handful of shells fall near the fleet, all short.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

SEVEN SHIPS

SIX SHIPS (one sunk)

FIVE SHIPS (one disappears!)

Jimmy, what's going on here. I get that we sank one of the ships in their western force, but one of them seems to be missing in the last image.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Orders for 2nd Battle Fleet

BATRON 2, follow marked course. Make best speed. Stand by to engage targets on our port beam. Make sure all vessels (Justicia included) have clear lines of fire and have all guns loaded and trained to port.

All destroyers, follow marked course at flank speed. Continue laying smoke. Lie in wait for the enemy inside the smokescreen. Using your best judgement, emerge and engage the enemy with torpedoes. Once torpedoes are launched, retire to the smoke to reload torpedoes and repeat attack.

Perestroika, can you have O'Henry cover our tail with smoke?

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 22, 2015

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Bacarruda posted:

Jimmy, what's going on here. I get that we sank one of the ships in their western force, but one of them seems to be missing in the last image.

Mistaken reporting, your ships though they saw one more ship than there was.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jimmy4400nav posted:

The Viento and Huracan adjust their positions, but have no solution on the Los Santanos, adjusting their turrets for the moment, they train them on one of the undamaged Garibaldi classes. With their position, they manage to unleash a full broadside on the battleship.

More than six dozen shells whistle through the air, honing in the cluster of battleships. Geysers of water erupt all around the target showering the battleship in water. Suddenly, a massive column of fire erupts from the bow of the ship, large pieces of metal are sheered from the ship and hurtled more than a hundred feet into the air. The bow section vanishes without a trace, while the rear, still being propelled forward rapidly sinks below the waves until its props are exposed, still turning. What’s left of the hulk rapidly keels over and vanishes in the gentle surf.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

The score so far:

San Marcan Navy Losses:
unknown Garibaldi-class Battleship (sunk by BATRON 2's gunfire) 226 VP
Cruiser Espora (sunk by Activo's torpedoes)
unknown Cruiser (sunk by DESRON 2's torpedoes)
unknown Destroyer (sunk by BATRON 2's gunfire)
Destroyer Serpiente (sunk/heavily damaged by mines off Isla Tropico)
Destroyer Tigre (sunk/heavily damaged by mines off Isla Tropico)

La Platan Navy Losses:
Cruiser Toro (sunk by gunfire) 142VP
Cruiser Zenteno (sunk by gunfire) 119VP
Destroyer Activo (sunk by gunfire) 25VP

That's not counting the damage that we've done to the other Garibaldi we hit and put out of action, plus the damage we've done to Los Santanos. Hopefully DESRON 2's tin fish will hit their cruiser target, too.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 22, 2015

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Mistaken reporting, your ships though they saw one more ship than there was.

Is the mis-identified/missing ship the one my destroyers tried to torpedo?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Bacarruda posted:

Is the mis-identified/missing ship the one my destroyers tried to torpedo?

...Whoops, I forgot to include that section for you guys. Nope, the ship you shot at was there, I forgot to report for your side, you sank the cruiser with the torpedo at 0642.

I thought you were talking about another blip on the map that I deleted earlier, not that. My bad.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jimmy4400nav posted:

...Whoops, I forgot to include that section for you guys. Nope, the ship you shot at was there, I forgot to report for your side, you sank the cruiser with the torpedo at 0642.

I thought you were talking about another blip on the map that I deleted earlier, not that. My bad.

:toot: The maps make it look grim, but we're getting a sizeable wreck count.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Cool. So we sank a cruiser and a battleship last turn?

Danaru posted:

:toot: The maps make it look grim, but we're getting a sizeable wreck count.

Yeah, our position isn't great (especially given the damage to the Justicia), but we've been doing pretty good considering how badly outnumbered and outgunned we are.

If only we could lure Los Santanos into the minefield... :getin:

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 22, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

1st Fleet Orders

Viento will fall in behind Huracan at its speed and stand ready to engage targets to port.

O'Henry will follow closely behind the line and deploy smoke in a roughly zig-zagging pattern. The goal is to obscure our forces from the western enemy group as much as possible, but to keep the lines of fire to the northern group clear as long as possible. The captain may use his own discretion to adjust the angle and length of the turns to ensure an optimal spread of smoke, while making sure not to fall behind the rest of the fleet.

Both ships are to fire at will and engage targets at own discretion. Cruisers and destroyers that attempt to close in to torpedo range are to be prioritised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
0642-0646

Scuttling charges on the Zenteno go off, several explosions rip through the abandoned cruiser. After scarcely a minute, the ship capsizes and slips beneath the waves.

Tot the north of the fleet, the lingering smoke clears away as gusts begin to pick up in the area. As it lifts, the smaller enemy fleet is exposed. Unfortunently, their position is only several thousand yards away from the Platan fleet!

A particularly foolish or heroic Marcan destroyer commodore wheels his ships close to the Viento and Hurucan. As shells explode around the tiny ships they let loose their deadly cargo. Nine deadly white streaks bubble in the watter, heading right for the slowly moving battleships!

As they begin to the pull away, the Viento shudders as a shell strikes it from on high. Luckily it appeared to bore right through the ship. To avoid the torpedoes, the two battleships pick up speed. As they do so, they target the battleships and destroyers of the incoming fleet. One Marcan battleship takes a particularly nasty hit as its port side vanishes in a fireball.

The incoming destroyers are racked with fire from the territory armaments.

The fire in the Justica’s fuel bunker refuses to die as yes another coal pile erupts in flames. Cognizant of his orders from the admiral, the chief engineer prepares to possibly flood the fuel room, though to do so would catastrophically slow the already heavily wounded ship.

Despite their best efforts, the torpedoes are just too near the Viento and Hurucan, a massive explosion and column of water strikes the bow of the Viento at 0644. Hundreds of gallons of water rush in through the gash. Engineers report that the bow magazine has flooded, and while they managed to save a few shells, most of the bow guns will be inoperable soon.

At 0645, another explosion of water strike the Hurucan, and several seconds later, another one impacts the ship. Flooding strikes the ship particularly hard as the tears in the hull allowed almost a thousand gallons of water to be let in. The ship is permanently slowed and in a further bad omen, the power plant goes out as red emergency lighting fills the ship. With the radios down, fire control will be.

The remaining torpedoes pass by the ships, but then at 0646, an explosion is seen of the Justica’s rear.

Justica Captain posted:

Admiral!
I’ve taken a torpedo to the engine room! We’re already under power, now, we’ll be lucky to keep pace with eight knots!

In a strange sign of silver lining though, the flooding has damped out some of the fuel bunker fires.

DESCRON Commodore posted:

*A crash can be heard*
Admirals!
We’ve reengaged the enemy destroyer force cloud but *crash*
Bastards crossed our T! Amable is non-responsive and the Arrogante and Astuto are dead in the water. Will try and extricate survivors!

The battleships manage to limp behind the smoke screen and avoid taking anymore shots, though they in turn are unable to dish any out.

No word yet from DESCRON.

The fire on the Justica is beginning to subside. The chief engineer warns that the structural integrity of the ship has been compromised severely. Much more damage he warns, and the whole ship might collapse.

• Locked thread