Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Just a heads up I had a long day at work today, and I'm going to a memorial service tomorrow, so likely the next update wont be for a day or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
0638-0642

Mendoza Commodore posted:

Contact! We’ve got destroyers in the smokescreen. Returning fi…..

The watch officers see a small explosion in the smoke screen a couple thousand yards off the port bow of the Cuatro de Julio. The fleet continues to engage with the ships they can still see.

Suddenly, a massive column of fire erupts from the bow of the Presidente Cochrane, large pieces of metal are sheered from the ship and hurtled more than a hundred feet into the air. The bow section vanishes without a trace, while the rear, still being propelled forward rapidly sinks below the waves until its props are exposed, still turning. What’s left of the hulk rapidly keels over and vanishes in the gentle surf.

The retaliatory barrage unfortunately, leaves the enemy fleet untouched. Shells land in the open ocean, hosing down the enemy ships in a vicious rain of water.

Roaring out of the smoke, a par of unknown destroyers pull a hard starboard, exposing their broadsides to Cuatro de Julio. The cruiser responds by firing a number of rapid fire salvos at the destroyers. Gunnery officers report that more than one hundred shells were fired in two minutes. Smoke rises above the rear destroyer.

The fleet continues to shell the enemy cruiser, Justica obscured by smoke, appearing only in brief glimpses, too fast for the gunnery crews to get an accurate measure. Opting for the easier targets, they focus on the lead cruiser. Spouts of water erupt all around the lead ship to no effect. Then a stream of black smoke rises from the rear of the ship. A fire! A minute later, several smaller explosions are seen from the ship’s side, where it then capsizes.

The return fire splashes around the Los Santanos, the geysers of water wash over the ship. A crash of metal, followed by a small explosion strikes the bridge. Damage control and medical personnel rush to save anyone from the crushed remains of the bridge. Replacement personnel rush to man their stations in the secondary bridge buried deeper in the ship. In the meantime, the Los Santanos powers ahead with no steering.

The Cuatro de Julio’s watch officers reports seeing four torpedoes inbound from the enemy destroyers. Throwing his ships throttle forward, the cruiser begins to move to evade in the incoming fish. The increase in speed allows it to move past the first torpedo, a hard to port allows it to evade two more. Unfortunately, the turn brings it right into the path of the last torpedo, vanishing under the middle of the ship, a thunderous explosion and a geyser of water erupts underneath the Cuatro, groans of metal emanate from the ship as it breaks in two and begins to slip beneath the waves.

The retaliatory fire on the enemy fleet yields no results, and the destroyers in the smoke are having no luck finding the enemy destroyers. The 2nd Battlegroup continues to steam south.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
...I think we just lost the first battleship of the war. DAMMIT!

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Yep.

At this point, though, I'm mostly just impressed with the neverending smokescreen. I went through the rules and I thought they were supposed to only last 10 minutes, unless they keep refreshing it. On a brighter note, your three destroyer should be in a perfect spot to torpedo their battleships next turn.

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
Love reading along but I'm a bit lost without pulling up the naming list while I read the reports. Any way we could get the ship class before the name? Whether something was a DD or BB is a pretty huge difference.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Jimmy did say he was doing the smoke wrong earlier. So then, forget the fleet where the Justica can be seen, and make sure that there's no more ships hiding in this large smokecloud.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

acidia posted:

Love reading along but I'm a bit lost without pulling up the naming list while I read the reports. Any way we could get the ship class before the name? Whether something was a DD or BB is a pretty huge difference.

Good suggestion, I'll try and do that for the future.

grandalt posted:

Jimmy did say he was doing the smoke wrong earlier. So then, forget the fleet where the Justica can be seen, and make sure that there's no more ships hiding in this large smokecloud.

The smoke has been dissipating, I've been pulling the smoke back slowly in parts of the map. Some has been replenished, but quite a bit is receding.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Anyways, I'm going to drop out of it and let someone take over my fleet. Between the smoke issues and how my fleet came in, I'm starting to get annoyed more than I'm enjoying it, which generally means its time to do something else.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Are you sure? That will put me in charge of your fleet.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

berryjon posted:

Are you sure? That will put me in charge of your fleet.

Yeah, that's fine. Maybe I'm wrong about the rules but my understanding from reading the provided material is

1) No smoke chit can remain longer than 5 turns. It's been about 12 since the initial field was placed.
2) Smoke is a -16 to accuracy, rather than being an impenetrable wall behind which nothing can be hit or seen.

I could be wrong, but either way I'm starting to get annoyed which means it's break time.

Adventure Pigeon fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 22, 2015

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Yeah, that's fine. Maybe I'm wrong about the rules but my understanding from reading the provided material is

1) No smoke chit can remain longer than 5 turns. It's been about 12 since the initial field was placed.
2) Smoke is a -16 to accuracy, rather than being an impenetrable wall behind which nothing can be hit or seen.

I could be wrong, but either way I'm starting to get annoyed which means it's break time.

Your right about the rules, again, I messed up on the smoke rule and I was trying to downscale the field, but some of it has been replenished. That being said your absolutely right in that the smoke stayed far longer than it was supposed to.

It also is a -16 to accuracy, I house ruled in the difficulties in seeing on the tactical map for if the ship isn't spotted to further the fog of war.

Regardless though, I totally understand if you're getting annoyed, any weirdness from the game is on me, especially rules gently caress ups. I apologize for making the game not fun for you.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Your right about the rules, again, I messed up on the smoke rule and I was trying to downscale the field, but some of it has been replenished. That being said your absolutely right in that the smoke stayed far longer than it was supposed to.

It also is a -16 to accuracy, I house ruled in the difficulties in seeing on the tactical map for if the ship isn't spotted to further the fog of war.

Regardless though, I totally understand if you're getting annoyed, any weirdness from the game is on me, especially rules gently caress ups. I apologize for making the game not fun for you.

No worries, I understand it's a lot of effort and most of it is well done. It's on me that I get frustrated with things like this easily. Rather than getting into an argument or staying annoyed, it's best to drop. That being said, if you're going to do house rules stuff, you really should make it clear. I had kept my cruiser and destroyers near the cloud assuming the sighting and firing rules were in effect when in reality anything inside the cloud was effectively invisible and invulnerable. The Seekrieg 4 rules are already very generous to smoke clouds (especially WW1/pre-WW1 era). Historically, even smoking over a kilometer was a highly inefficient and hazardous process which required multiple ships coordinating with each other. Even then, the smoke would disappear almost immediately because it was lighter than air.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Jimmy, before I update orders from where Adventure Penguin left off, I tried looking for any information regarding the Zentena that's to the right of my battleship line. What do we know about it?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

berryjon posted:

Jimmy, before I update orders from where Adventure Penguin left off, I tried looking for any information regarding the Zentena that's to the right of my battleship line. What do we know about it?

That's the enemy crusier you guys knocked out way back when. It's not sunk, but it took enough damage to force the crew to abandon ship. No nasty surprises there, the ship is functionally kia.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
So we lost the first destroyer and the first battleship...but at least they lost the first cruiser? :toot:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

That's the enemy crusier you guys knocked out way back when. It's not sunk, but it took enough damage to force the crew to abandon ship. No nasty surprises there, the ship is functionally kia.

If we hold the field of battle afterwards, can we see about putting a prize crew aboard or towing her back to base?

Other than that, our plan, while bloody, is working still. No major changes to the plan on my end.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
0642-0646

An explosion is seen to the port of the fleet. Looking over, several smaller explosions rip through the abandoned ship. Sea water gushes in through the new holes and a minute later the abandoned ship capsizes and slips beneath the waves.

The smoke clears up as the wind picks up speed, to the North of the enemy fleet, the destroyers of the 2nd battlegroup take sight of the enemy fleet, less than three thousand yards from their current position. Acting on this opportunity, the commodore of the group charges his trio of destroyers ahead and under a withering hail of gunfire, manages to disgorge nine torpedoes towards the enemy fleet. The white bubble trails trace a lethal path to their targets.

The bow guns of the fleet take aim at the enemy formation, though smoke from the fleeing cruiser obscures their vision. As shells erupt once more from the 1st Battlegroup, they sadly score few hits, though the Mendola reports that one of their shells made contact.

To the north, the 1st battlegroup has similarly poor luck making any hits on the enemy fleet. For the first time though they begin to take fire. Water rains down on the ships as shells land all around the fleet. The Libertad’s port side then erupts in a fireball as it takes a shell. Water begins to pour in through the side of the ship as it starts to list heavily to the damaged side. A few survivors can be seen scrambling over the edges to get away from the ship.

The destroyers meanwhile are racked with territory armaments, the Rapidos and Patra rattle as several small shells strike both ships. Sea water pouring in through the holes blasted in the ships, slowing them considerably.

The commodore of the destroyer flotilla furtively looks at his pocket watch. The timing seems right, any second now…

Suddenly a column of water erupt on the bow of one of the Viento classes. A minute later, two more explosions can be seen on the other ship of the class. Three hits! As more shells whine in, the commodore takes satisfaction in the idea that they’ve managed to strike serious harm to the fleet.

Which is good, as a hail of shells strikes the two previously wounded destroyers, causing them to stop dead in the water. The survivors quickly extricate themselves from the ships. The Corrientes in turn takes several shells to the hull and begins to limp.

The Independencia is rocked by a pair of hits. The first fails to penetrate the hull, a dud, while the second explodes harmlessly against the top super structure. However, return fire on the enemy fleet yields little results.

Destroyer Commodore posted:

Admirals!
We’ve made contact with the enemy force in the smoke cloud. Looks to be three Jarapin classes. Engaging! The sound of shell fire can be heard
Haha, I think we got a couple of them dead in the water, we’re circling around for a better look.

Watch Officer posted:

Admirals!
MINES! I’m looking at several mines on the horizon, possibly more! Platan bastards must have seeded the sea with the drat things

The enemy ships slip behind the smoke screen, shells fired at them fail to elicit any hits.

The watch officers report finding more mines.

The Constitution was nearly withdrawn from the engagement.

Map will be extended next update.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Our destroyers seem to be having the worst luck. Godspeed you crazy bastards.

Jimmy, when this is over, can we get a full account of the VP breakdown, at least for our side?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Davin Valkri posted:

Our destroyers seem to be having the worst luck. Godspeed you crazy bastards.

Jimmy, when this is over, can we get a full account of the VP breakdown, at least for our side?

Of course, I was planning on doing that actually. That's part of the reason turns take so long to process, I've gotta record each instance of damage in-case something particularly squishy or valuable gets hit and adds to the score.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Here's the question - do we let them leave, or do we keep up the fight?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

berryjon posted:

Here's the question - do we let them leave, or do we keep up the fight?

I kinda want to at least try to sink the Justica, but then I'm not participating in the battle.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

I kinda want to at least try to sink the Justica, but then I'm not participating in the battle.

Very well.

My fleet will keep south of the known minefield, and focus fire on the Justica if at all possible, else fire on the largest ship we can see that is already damaged (or just fire on the largest ship if none are visibly damaged.

The Constitution, once they have withdrawn from the battle, will return to the nearest port for repairs.

berryjon posted:

If we hold the field of battle afterwards, can we see about putting a prize crew aboard or towing her back to base?

Jimmy4400nav posted:

An explosion is seen to the port of the fleet. Looking over, several smaller explosions rip through the abandoned ship. Sea water gushes in through the new holes and a minute later the abandoned ship capsizes and slips beneath the waves.

Me and my big mouth.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I think I want to pull my fleet back. I don't think I can stop them from retreating.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
0648-0652

The Constitution withdraws behind visual range of the fleet. With damage to its magazines and flooding, it likely wouldn’t be able to do much had it stayed. The captain radios the rest of the fleet and wishes them luck.

The command crew reaches the secondary bridge and begins to steer the mighty vessel once more. Correcting course slightly, the Los Santanos straightens out and falls back into the line with the other ships. The enemies smoke begin to dissipate.

The fleet closes in on the enemy formation, which appears to have slowed, it would appear the previous torpedo strike had the intended effect.

Out of the smoke screen comes screaming an enemy destroyer, little more than a kilometer from the Antonio Moreno, it disgorges its torpedoes which streak towards the battleship. Returning fire, the Moreno and Libertad attempts to destroy the destroyer.

In a whirlwind of shells, geysers of eater erupt around the tiny ship, it bobs and weaves around the explosions, after almost a minute of saturate fire to no effect, it looks as though the tiny ship will evade destruction.

Then a small explosion nearly separates its bow and the ship, moving at almost thirty knots an hour, quickly fills with water. Survivors are seen leaping into the water.

Shells slam into the Independencia, one bounces off the armor while another pierces through, but explodes in a empty store room.

The Los Santanos and its accompanying ships fire on the Justica, seen through the smoke. The crews are unsure if they score any hits or not.

One of the torpedoes strikes then Antonio Moreno. Luckily it swam closer to the surface and explodes closer to the heavily armored side belt. A small amount of flooding disrupts the starboard magazine, disrupting fire for several minutes.

The southern fleet fires on the fleeing Justica, several shots are reported to have landed, but have little discernable effect on the ship.

The two surviving destroyers in the smoke screen exit the smoky maelstrom, unfortunately, they’re facing west. The commodore begins to move the squadron back towards the action.

The Independencia reports three shells exploding against the armor of its turrets and sidebelts. Several crew members are killed by shrapnel, but no discernable damage is reported.

Another shells strikes the destroyer Catarta in the engine room. The small ship slows dramatically and smoke pours from its engine room. Cinco de Mayo’s return fire yields little results.

The Los Santanos and its accompanying ships open fire on the rear Viento class after Justica vanishes into the smoke screen. While its shape can still be roughly discerned, the gunnery officers shoot at the ships they can see more clearly.

The Independencia takes several shells, one strikes the conning tower and several small explosions as one of them falls over the side of the ship in a screech of metal. Smoke billows from the hole as the ships’s engines slow.

A shell strikes the bow of the Cinco de Mayo but fails to detonate.

Return fire strikes the lead cruiser, but does little to phase it.

The two destroyers continue to make their way around when suddenly a watch officer yells out “MINES!” Throttling down, the captains look out in horror, several mines are seen floating across the surface. Deckhands march the ships with rifles and take aim at the mines, trying to clear a path for the slowed ships.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I'm willing to let them go at this point. Those are mines not being used on our ports, and they are obviously fleeing. A victory for us, I would like to think!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Do you want me to abort my raid and shadow them?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Grandalt? Your input?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
The lurkers demand blood!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

berryjon posted:

Grandalt? Your input?

If Grandalt doesn't get back by later today I'll run the turn based on looking at his last standing orders.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

In that case, my fleet shall operate on focus fire, swinging south to avoid mines.

Davin - if Grandalt doesn't return, do you want command of his fleet for the duration of the battle?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Uh, okay? My first thought if I were in command of the northern fleet is "it looks like they're breaking NE, can my fleet run parallel to them," unless you think that's not workable.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Well, let's give Grandalt a chance to respond first; we can discuss plots further next turn.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I'm back from vacation, now. So, based on what you folks are saying, I should have my ships move after the escaping fleet, but staying on the same level as I currently am. Is that correct?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Effectively; we want to avoid any mines they may have laid, while getting them to leave. As long as they are running, they can't focus all their guns on us.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Alright then sir.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
0656-0700

The northern fleet attempts to form a line and fire on the O'Henry. While a couple shells strike the erstwhile cruiser, it isn't slowed. Also unluckily, return fire strikes Cinco de Mayo. The captain reports heavy flooding and a minor explosion in a secondary magazine. As the ship lists, it starts to peel away from the fighting.

Fire from the southern fleet fails to hit.

A viento class is seen staming through the smoke, fire belching from its turrets at the Nrothern fleet, with the O'Henry joining in. Independencia rocks as a pair of shells strike it. A flag runs up the map.

Independencia Flags posted:

Radio
Disabled
No
Communication
Slow

While the Independencia deals with its troubles, more shells rock the Antonio Moreno. The aging iron clad groans under the weight of modern fire as bulkheads collapse in on themselves from the fierce explosions. The study ship floats, but the captain too begins to peel away from the action to save his ship. Return fire is shot, but spotters are distracted by their ship's conditions.

Fire between the two fleets is sporadic, with no shots being registered as landing on the enemy fleet. The Platan fleet continues to peel away.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Was our plan flawed from the start or are we just getting a ton of bad/unlucky hit rolls? I feel like we've been taking all the damage and dishing out little in return over the past few rounds.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Shoot, this is going badly. The die is not on our side.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Davin Valkri posted:

Was our plan flawed from the start or are we just getting a ton of bad/unlucky hit rolls? I feel like we've been taking all the damage and dishing out little in return over the past few rounds.

You guys did get some unlucky rolls this round, sorry about that. Luckily, none of your ships sunk this rounds, that something....right? :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
And I'm back from a wedding, working on the next update!

• Locked thread