Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
I was a little apprehensive about this title, especially with how Early into Early Access it was, but I've tinkered around with it. Decent fun, if a little low on content. I finished now with Charles Darwin, Freya Stark and Isabella Bird. If you can make it through your first and second expedition, you can usually go all the way.

Keeping everyone high on sanity seems to be the best way to go, and you can stop the really annoying debilitating traits just by staying above 50 I find. If you can find a waterfall early on, you can usually use that to explore the Hell out of everything as a safe point. In doing that, you fill up on region points and get enough promotions ready to just have the easiest time ever. I kind of like doing a French Chef, Soldier + whatever's convenient if that can be arranged. If you go around killing all the animals, you can cook their meat and stay on the upside of the sanity meter. I'm not really sure you're supposed to make it through some of the latter expeditions without using that as your exclusive strategy. And you can't use it reliably on the last expedition because the enemies are too powerful.

It just strikes me as a little funny that there is almost no way to play without completely alienating the native population. If you kill animals for food, you're going to annoy them fast. If you do that, you might as well just rob the living Hell out of all their shrines and tombs too.

I've come in 1st place now each time doing it this way, spending 200+ day on missions. You get a lot more ending faster, but too many risks. And you cna just pawn everything ifyou're taking your sweet time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

That's an amazingly bad deal.

I wanted to experiment with art, but could just never last long enough with a properly equipped character to get some painting done.

Anthropological studies may be the way to go. 60 or so fame, and they stack.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

I completely cheesed it to get the unlock. It only takes patience.

The secret is that you only need to hit the 15 standing once, so you can aim at it, get it, and then get back on track. You don't even need to win the game for it to carry over. The basic step is to find a nice place to camp and keep camping over and over again. Keep walking to and fro, then returning to camp for five days of rest at a time. You'll eventually trigger the sick native event. Heal the native for a nice boost, then do it again and again. I think you also get standing for helping the native fight if that triggers during camping as well. Don't know how true any of this still is since I last played. Keep at it for 500 days if you need to.

It's probably for the best that you can do is completely ravage and loot the first map, taking every opportunity to amass a bunch of nice junk to offload for cash to translate into medicine so you can safely cheese standing in the next map. On the second map, find a nice safe resting area and go find the temple without looting or visiting any other sites. Just find where it is and find a waterfall or arch or spring.

Nudge the Odds:

Having a translator will help, as you'll get standing if the natives "normally" visit you during a camp event.
Don't recruit anyone on the map you intend to execute this.
Don't do anything really except make a beeline for the safest camping spot.
I think if you "gift" through favourable trade you may still get a standing bonus so do that to grab an edge.
There's a starting event that helps too, delivering a letter.
Don't visit anything else.

Complete the expedition as quickly as possible and you're done.

If you're lucky, you'll get the "standing" perk after your first expedition and that will get you most of the way there anyway.

• Locked thread