Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telemundoz
Dec 23, 2014

CHEE
I'm stationed in Yokosuka and have quite a bit to post.

My first trip off base this past November, to the giant Buddha in Kamakura

Checking out the mobile suit in Tokyo.

I'll get around to posting more later on tonight.

Telemundoz fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
i used to live in japan and its a p. cool country tho it has its issues

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
lol i was in yokosuka too

Telemundoz
Dec 23, 2014

CHEE

what happened posted:

lol i was in yokosuka too

Nice!
How often did you creep at the Chu-hi stands in the Honch?

Tarquinn posted:

Who is this sage?

It's actually Hayao Miyazaki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayao_Miyazaki

Telemundoz fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 29, 2015

Nickelback Concert
Apr 28, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

Well it is a country where people try to get their jizz on their favorite female pop star by any means possible and are actually successful a decent amount of the time.

Please tell me the backstory on this.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nickelback Concert posted:

Dudes would beat off into their hands and then shake with their pop-idols during signings.

They even needed bodyguards who would peel the hand-shaking fans off when they wouldn't let go or if the pop idol gave them the sign. (the guys standing behind the hand-shaking fans).

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Blistex posted:

Dudes would beat off into their hands and then shake with their pop-idols during signings.

They even needed bodyguards who would peel the hand-shaking fans off when they wouldn't let go or if the pop idol gave them the sign. (the guys standing behind the hand-shaking fans).

:chanpop:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nickelback Concert posted:

some goon explained it a while back, iirc:

if you bought cds you could win a meeting with a pop star

the japanese creeps then buy a roomful of cds

and before meeting with the stars they jizz in their hands so they can make their jizz touch the pop star

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

axolotl farmer posted:

They told me that they were 3rd year university students, and they had met when they were in high school, and they were at a boarding school together. I asked them if they still had their uniforms, cuz I'm a big perv, and they said yes, of course, they kept them for cosplay! I said... what's cosplay? And they explained to me that they enjoyed dressing up as nurses, french maids, stewardesses and chinese waitresses for fun, with their friends. The cuter one showed me a sticker book filled with pretty small sticker photos of her and various female friends, dressed up in all sorts of outfits. She was very proud of her collection.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2791156

lol this guy still posts here

would you have a link to the original thread?

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I LIVE IN JAPAN AND DRINK AT LEAST HALF A GALLON OF LIQUOR A DAY. AMA.

MY JAPANESE GIRLFRIEND IS REALLY INTO TURTLES AND I loving HATE IT

ALSO I AM STATIONED IN YOKOSUKA LIKE 90% OF ALL GOONS IN JAPAN

I LITERALLY LIVE IN THE HONCH.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
got a post for u

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Aren't turtles yet another euphemism for dicks in Japan? She's trying to tell you something dawg.

Telemundoz
Dec 23, 2014

CHEE

Iron Prince posted:

I LIVE IN JAPAN AND DRINK AT LEAST HALF A GALLON OF LIQUOR A DAY. AMA.

MY JAPANESE GIRLFRIEND IS REALLY INTO TURTLES AND I loving HATE IT

ALSO I AM STATIONED IN YOKOSUKA LIKE 90% OF ALL GOONS IN JAPAN

I LITERALLY LIVE IN THE HONCH.

Does she have pet turtles, or just a bunch of rando stuff like Nagato posted?

Went to Jogashima Island this past Sunday.

BONUS chilling with The Colonel

Risky
May 18, 2003

Does anyone remember that game blogger that was living in an internet cafe and had no way to get home or eat because he spent all his money on Japanese video games ?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Risky posted:

Does anyone remember that game blogger that was living in an internet cafe and had no way to get home or eat because he spent all his money on Japanese video games ?

I remember that thread, but I don't have it saved. Really wanted to know how it turned out.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Risky posted:

:stare: what in the gently caress

that sounds hilarious

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo that's nothing some fool in Taiwan died after playing Starcraft for like 3 days straight without stopping to eat or sleep or go to the bathroom or anything.

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
My bones was starting to grow, then ya done hosed up and went all goon OP.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Risky posted:

Yeap, I saw him in a manga kisa in Shinjuku. He lived and showered there and spent all day on the internet.

Telemundoz
Dec 23, 2014

CHEE

Kharnifex posted:

Yeap, I saw him in a manga kisa in Shinjuku. He lived and showered there and spent all day on the internet.

The internet cafe's are pretty much like a cheap hotel. Spent the night in one after missing the last train from Tokyo. There were people in there with their pants draped over the cubicles and feet sticking out of the curtains that covered the entrance. Didn't know some of them had showers.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hogge Wild posted:

some goon explained it a while back, iirc:

if you bought cds you could win a meeting with a pop star

the japanese creeps then buy a roomful of cds

and before meeting with the stars they jizz in their hands so they can make their jizz touch the pop star

Japanese found a way to solve the no one buys CDs anymore problem.

The whole CDs for votes goes even further since with enough votes you can even change the lineup for jpop girl band or at least make sure your dream waifu gets
a bigger part in the next music video.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

this is why it is always important for customs to check luggage when entering a new country for invasive species

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

konichiwa desu moshi moshi i am japanese, AMA.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

I'm a middle-class average guy from down home in Texas, but for the past four years I've been living in South Korea. I have worked as an English teacher, then a journalist, and currently for a Korean software company during those four years. I thought Korea was great, and I thought the girls were cool. I got a little more attention from girls in Korea than I did back home, and while it was generally shy, nervous, prudish attention from 25 year old women-childs with 11pm curfews, it had its own special charm.

But then around last weekend I went to Japan for five days, and I'm now so pissed off with Korean girls. What the hell is their problem? I feel like I've been living in the totally wrong country for the past 4 years.

I went to Japan last Thursday on business expecting to stay only 2 days, but I ended up being stranded over the weekend and coming back on Monday afternoon.

This was a VERY GOOD THING.

I knew one guy in Japan where I was staying, Joe, and called him up to see if I could get something to do over the weekend. He's a nice guy, and he said he'd meet me after he finished things on Friday night and we'd go see a few friends. Well, he is totally awesome and amazing, cuz his few friends turned out to be around 15 people at a pub nearby. When I showed up I noticed it was about half and half Japanese and foreign. I had some reservations, cuz a 50:50 Korean:foreigner party is a recipe for awkwardness and discomfort in Korea, so I paid special attention to the group dynamics. But, surprise surprise, it just looked like a bunch of friends laughing and having fun in 2 languages.

In short order I've got a beer, some munchies, and I'm deep in conversation with the two Japanese girls sitting nearest to me. This turned into an excellent conversation with one, Tomiko. I'm apparently much wittier than I thought, because she couldn't stop giggling at whatever I said, and she was fascinated with my life in Seoul. So far everything was going great!

Then, three more girls show up. One foreign chick from Germany and two cute young Japanese girls who showed her how to get to the bar, because she got lost. The two Japanese girls didn't leave, they happily sat down and started chatting up people. I noticed them at the opposite end of the long table, but I kinda figured they were way too hot for me, and Tomiko was perfectly fine already, so I continued flirting with her. But apparently the two hotties had other plans. I noticed them looking at me out of the corner of my eye, so I glanced over at them, and they both smiled and waved at me. Then, even though they were 7 seats away at least, they yelled down to the end of the table "What's your name?!" Joe, true buddy that he is, said, "You wanna go down there? I know you're single. Let me move my chair." Of course I wanted to go down there, so I excused myself from Tomiko and went down to see what the hotties wanted.

Apparently they wanted to talk to me, and weren't shy about it. Their English wasn't so great but they were completely okay with that, and we had very little problems communicating. The taller and sexier one told me that she was very lonely, because she had been without a boyfriend for a whole year. And not only that, but her ex had violenced her (her term). The shorter, cuter one said she was also very lonely, because she had been single for three whole months. I told them I'd also been single for three months, and maybe we could help each other out. They giggled.

They told me that they were 3rd year university students, and they had met when they were in high school, and they were at a boarding school together. I asked them if they still had their uniforms, cuz I'm a big perv, and they said yes, of course, they kept them for cosplay! I said... what's cosplay? And they explained to me that they enjoyed dressing up as nurses, french maids, stewardesses and chinese waitresses for fun, with their friends. The cuter one showed me a sticker book filled with pretty small sticker photos of her and various female friends, dressed up in all sorts of outfits. She was very proud of her collection.

I had to know more.

I asked them to help me out, because I was stranded in Japan for the whole weekend, and had never been to Japan before or expected to be here. They said sure, of course! They then suggested we ditch the party and go to a karaoke bar. I said sure, lets do it. But, dog that I am, before I left I gave Tomiko my hotel and room number and asked her to call me tomorrow. She said she might.

I left with cuter Ryoko and sexier Mariko, and we took off to find a karaoke bar. On the way, I asked more questions about cosplay, and they said, do you like cosplay? I said, I don't know, I've never tried it. They said, well, lets go to a cosplay room then! I wasn't sure what I was hearing. Cosplay room? They have those? They explained to me that yes, they do have cosplay rooms, and they have all the costumes there, and you can rent them for a short time and a small fee. I said yes, cosplay first, karaoke second.

We arrived at the place, and they led me to a large wall with lots of photos there. There were really all the costumes anyone could think of. They told me to pick which two I liked best. It was hard you know, because there were like 5 varieties of French Maid, 4 different Sexy Nurses, an entire row of schoolgirl outfits, policewoman, shopping mall information desk girls (they have these in asia, big floppy hats and felt vests), stewardesses from all the major airlines, army girls, and even lawyer girls. But I was with a sexier and willowy Mariko, and a cuter and shorter Ryoko, so I knew what I had to go with. I chose the sexy French Maid with Kitty Ears for Mariko, and a Knee-Stockinged Schoolgirl outfit for Ryoko.

They said oooh, sexy! You like sexy? I did in fact like sexy, and told them so. Then they went and got the costumes from the attendant, and let me to the changing area. They pointed to a spot on the floor and said, you stand here. We will go change. Obediently, I stood where I was told, and realized that it gave a small glimpse of the changing room. Did they do that on purpose, I wonder? I was unsure, so I only stole a few glances. Even when there's a curtain mostly covering the scene, just seeing skirts drop to the ground can really reach down and touch you deep inside. Then Mariko the French Maid came out. She walked in front of me and did a little kind of fist-high salute, and said, "Da daaa! Sexy?" It was sexy. After that, Ryoko the schoolgirl came out and did the same cute salute. She also pointed to the place between where her knee high stockings stopped and her skirt began. "You like?" she asked. I liked.

Then, it was apparently time to take pictures. We went into Japanese-speaking automated photo booth and we had to pose for about 12 different photos for about 10 seconds each. I was kinda into sensory overload by this time, so the girls took charge, plopping down on my lap and pulling my arms around them. The camera flashed, and they switched positions. Behind me, to the side, one sitting on my lap while the other pretended to look offended, then the other way. It was much more fun than I was expecting from my first evening ever in Japan.

After that, we edited the photos and printed them out, and they gave them to me. They paid for it too, while I was still engrossed in looking at what we had just accomplished. They said they wanted to give me a good memory of Japan. And then they asked me if Japan was the best. I had to admit, Japan is the best.

After that we went to karaoke, where they started out by singing Tatu, All The Things She Said. Mariko said to me, "Ryoko and I like Tatu, because we are like Tatu." But Ryoko looked shocked and said, "No, no, we are not!" Mariko just giggled.

We ordered more beer at the karaoke bar and I thought this might end up being a textbook Dear Penthouse finish. But Mariko started getting a lot of text messages in Japanese on her phone, and the girls started rapidly discussing them in Japanese when it was my turn to sing. I was too drunk to care, but I should have, because I think that's what kept the evening from going into pure fantasy territory. The girls seemed to get more shy as the night wore on. They complimented me on my singing though, so I hope it wasn't that. I put my arm around the girl sitting next to me, Mariko, but she got up and basically told Ryoko to take her place. Ryoko was just fine with that, and snuggled up to me happy as could be, but she seemed to get even more shy. Also, Mariko started acting like a cockblock and tried to keep us from fooling around too much.

The night ended with me getting a few shy kisses from Ryoko, and Mariko ended up acting like a motherly cockblock. I paid for the karaoke room, which was about $40 for 2 hours, and we walked to a road where I could catch a taxi. The girls said they were both staying at Mariko's house, because Ryoko was visiting from out of town. I said I was interested in seeing a real Japanese house, but Mariko launched into this long explanation of how her brother was there, and the house was small, and blah blah whatever. I just said fine, fine. When we got to a place to take a taxi, we exchanged email addresses and I gave Ryoko a good night kiss. Then I got into the taxi and went back to my hotel, alone.

Not the perfect finish, but it was only my first night in Japan, right? I'm sure I'd be able to perfect it given a week, or a month.

Then the next day Tomiko, the girl I basically abandoned, called me and woke me up, and we met for lunch. Then we spent the whole day together visiting some Japanese shrine in the mountains called Dazaifu. I donated some cash at the shrine and got a fortune in return, and Tomiko read it to me. She said it said I was very lucky. I believed it.

Later on I started thinking what the hell? Why haven't I had anything as fun happen to me in Korea? I've had enough Korean girlfriends, but the relationships were so full of self-inflicted bullshit, its like they didn't even want to be happy. Korean girls are more worried about their reputation than a Baptist virgin in a small town in Texas, and I definitely know what I'm talking about there.

I remember thinking to myself... when did it get so hard to just have a good time in Korea? What the hell, Korean women? What the hell?

Oh, and I almost forgot. Here are the top 6 pics from my first night ever in Japan:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2791156

I came thanks dude.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

etalian posted:

Japanese found a way to solve the no one buys CDs anymore problem.

The whole CDs for votes goes even further since with enough votes you can even change the lineup for jpop girl band or at least make sure your dream waifu gets
a bigger part in the next music video.

Yeah, Japanese's "music culture" is actually a huge embarrassment to actual Japanese music fans. It would be like if the boy band phenomenon from the 90s never stopped and every single month 8/10 of the top selling American music CDs were boy bands.

Every major idol group's release is a top 10 seller, but only because hundreds to thousands of grown men by a fuckload of copies each. I think the record is 15k for a single person, and that wasn't really surprising to anyone.

quote:

Besides being cute, idols present an image of purity, as defined by Japanese culture. Among other things, this means that idols should not have boyfriends or girlfriends and should appear to be entirely inexperienced romantically and sexually. Occasionally, a Japanese publication will publish an exposé in which an idol is revealed to have a romantic partner, usually accompanied by grainy pictures of the idol kissing or holding hands with the partner. If the idol's agency cannot plausibly deny the allegation or explain away the evidence, the idol's career is badly damaged and sometimes comes to a quick end. Whereas in previous years an idol kept up her idol image until she chose to retire or was simply too old to continue being a credible idol, in recent years several ex-idols have successfully matured from being an idol to becoming full-fledged actresses, singers or musicians who are respected for their craft as opposed to merely being admired for their looks and image.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 30, 2015

The Bible
May 8, 2010

My wife and I just had a baby and we (well, the baby) use that brand of diaper. We live in Korea though, so I guess that is a pretty popular brand in Asia.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pentyne posted:

Yeah, Japanese's "music culture" is actually a huge embarrassment to actual Japanese music fans. It would be like if the boy band phenomenon from the 90s never stopped and every single month 8/10 of the top selling American music CDs were boy bands.

Every major idol group's release is a top 10 seller, but only because hundreds to thousands of grown men by a fuckload of copies each. I think the record is 15k for a single person, and that wasn't really surprising to anyone.

Also due to the creepy violent fans and cum handshakes meeting a idol star is like going through airport security.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Jamesman posted:

Does anyone have that video of that Japanaphile emo band guy in his 30's trying to pass himself off as a high school kid being interviewed on Japanese TV and them laughing at him?

It was that stupid dude who fake played a Guitar Hero guitar and wrote emo songs about anime and playstation.

I found it. It was these guys.

https://youtu.be/189QSTKC5no

Here's the creepy guy on Japan TV.

https://youtu.be/YBLawAtIpyg

Best Korea
Feb 15, 2012

etalian posted:

Also due to the creepy violent fans and cum handshakes meeting a idol star is like going through airport security.

And they didn't even bother with real security until one of the creepy fans stabbed a couple of them.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I grew up basically on NAF Atsugi and stuff like the giant buddha make me feel old and sad

good to see it's still green and that the colonel is still doing goku things

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
have a goat time

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I lived in Japan for three years. Okinawa, specifically. Husband ended up stationed there and welp, you go where husband goes.

It was fun, educational, and totally exhausting. I partially learned the language while there, enjoyed most of it, and would be willing to go back to visit but not to live there. Here are a few pictures of things that exist in Okinawa. Yay.

http://imgur.com/a/Qn6UY

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Is this a crime in progress?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Frog Act posted:

konichiwa desu moshi moshi i am japanese, AMA.

君は日本人じゃないと思います。

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
one of my best friends is japanese and her whole life is pursuing white dick from slender hipsters well see ya

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

FordPRefectLL posted:

one of my best friends is japanese and her whole life is pursuing white dick from slender hipsters well see ya

hope you're ready to start clearing your pms bro

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
We talking maid cafes?

Bonus from my teaching days:

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Nice ragecomic in the back there. A+ would look at again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Level Slide posted:

君は日本人じゃないと思います。

ナイス日本語マイフレンド!オタク王様キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━!!

• Locked thread