Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Consider this post to be under construction, I am only just getting into the game so bear in mind I'm still figuring stuff out for myself!

What is it?

The Batman Miniatures game (BMG) is a skirmish game in 35mm scale (like GW's heroic 28mm) set the DC comics universe. A typical game ranges between as few as two or three high value characters (Batman etc) up to a dozen or so models for a larger game. Potentially a bit more if you are playing a large game or using lots of low value characters (some gang banger holding a piece of pipe). It is designed to be played on a 3’x3’ table in urban terrain.

The game is played with 2 or more players, limited only by your common sense/sanity/ability to find people willing to play wargames with you.

The novel twist is the game's planning phases where players allocate action tokens to various attributes (movement, attack, defence, special abilities) for each character in a phase called 'Raising the Plan' before playing out the turn using an alternate activation system.

The game is currently in its first edition which saw the rulebook launched in early 2015, but was out in beta for some time before that. The model range is currently growing with regular monthly releases.

Which version of Batman is it based on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKmGC9qYSD4

Pretty much all of them! Knight Models appear to have a very extensive license to DC Comic's intellectual property and have released models (with rules) for miniatures from a pretty broad range of sources including:

The Arkham game series (Arkham Asylum, City, Origins and probably soon Knight).
Comic books (Lobo, Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns Batman).
The Dark Knight Film Trilogy (Heath Ledger's Joker, Tom Hardy Bane, Christian Bale Batman).
TV shows (Gotham Penguin, TV Arrow, Adam West Batman).
Watchmen.

What you don't get (so far anyway) are the more 'super powered' DC heroes like Superman or Wonder Woman. BMG is designed to pit the likes of the men-in-tights-heroes Batman or Arrow against the Joker or Penguin and their gangs of mercenaries and street thugs. Pitting Superman against a few escaped convicts with knives wouldn't exactly be balanced (without nerfing the crap out of Superman). Unless Knight Models come up with some way to get around that then you probably won't see Wonder Woman kicking rear end in the game, despite the fact that KM have sculpts of her. This also puts a question mark over the possibility of introducing a TV show version of the Flash at some point as his speed may be game beakingly OP.

So how do I pick my Crew?

Your force in BMG is referred to as a ‘Crew’. It is comprised of one character who becomes the boss then everyone else. Characters are each classed as being a Leader, a Sidekick, a henchman or a Free agent. There are various rules determining how you pick them, but in short it goes like this.

Leaders are the characters who will always be in charge. Think Batman, The Joker, or Ras Al Ghul. They tend to be powerful, expensive choices.

Sidekicks are fairly self explanatory, they are major players who can act as the Crew’s boss if you didn’t take a leader. Think Nightwing, Harley Quinn, Batwoman, Talia & Nyssa Al Ghul etc.

Henchmen are for the most part street Cops, SWAT team members, faction specific goons like Joker's Clowns or Bane's Mercenaries, Arkham Asylum inmates or Blackgate Prisoners. They are typically the cheap cannon fodder.

Free Agents are a bit of a broad concept and include a wide range of characters including Catwoman, The Riddler, Scarecrow, Solomon Grundy, Lobo, Clayface, Deadshot etc. For the most part they are the characters who work with just about anyone and don’t belong to a specific Crew. Some however do have restrictions and can only be taken by certain crews or won’t work with particular characters. You are limited in how many free agents can be in your crew by the size of game you are playing (one for every full 150 reputation).

Reputation is the points limit for the game you will be playing. 150 reputation is the recommended minimum size of game (which probably get you 2-6 characters) while 300 reputation is what the claim is apparently optimised for. I gather though that most tournaments are being run at 350 reputation, as some people like that little extra choice. The other resource to track while building a crew is ‘the stash’. For each 150 rep (or part) you get $500 of funding. Each character cots Reputation and sometimes funding to hire, typically if the character has a ranged weapon. Excess funds can be spent on equipment like night vision goggles or extra ammo.

If this sounds confusing, there is an excellent community tool, out there to help you!

http://bat-builder.com/index.html

The Bat Builder is a web based tool for putting together Crew builds and helping you to visualise your options. It is currently updating frequently and has emerged as the leading community resource allowing you to look at high resolution character cards and other useful resources.

Setting up & interactive scenery

The game is based around scenarios and objectives. Which scenario you play is randomised between the six in the rulebook (presumably more will be added in future) which cover a variety of deployment variations and victory conditions. You build your Crew (the game’s term for your gang/squad/force) before picking the scenario which means that you will be reacting to the situation somewhat rather than designed a composition for a given scenario. I think thematically BMG is meant to represent Crews running into each other rather than orchestrated encounters, hence the random element.

Once you have picked your scenario, you setup the table to represent the chunk of Gotham/Arkham/whatever you are going to be playing over. Put some buildings down, some walls, maybe a few parked vehicles and other scatter terrain. The recommended table size is 3’x3’ but you can obviously always scale up for larger games. Then comes another of the game’s twists, the interactive scenery elements.

Before deploying any minis, each player rolls a D3 and deploys that many sewer entrance markers (manhole covers). These can be used as a ‘teleportation’ mechanic where a character can enter the sewers, then spend a full round down there before emerging through any other sewer marker on the table.

Next each player rolls another D3 and places that many Lampposts. In BMG, it is considered that the game always takes place at night which means that characters are limited to a visibility range of 30cm. The lampposts cast light in a radius of 10cm from the marker illuminating all models around them allowing for them to be fired at from across the table. In BMG guns are considered to have unlimited range meaning that line of sight is the determining factor in allowing you to shoot, so they really are important. Lampposts (and other scenery elements) can be destroyed which adds another layer of tactical consideration to proceeding.

Once these scenery elements are down, players split their crews in half, then take it in turns to deploy half their models at a time (unless the scenario says otherwise).

Finally, after the table is setup and the crews are already in place, we come to objectives. There are multiple types (with more to come) including Joker’s Laughing Gas, a loot pile, an ammunition stash, barrels of the Titan super drug and Riddler Puzzles. Each have their own rules and characters must interact with them in order to score victory points. Each player must pick three objectives (no more than one of each type) and place them on the table. The strategic decision to make here is that some characters are better at interacting with certain objectives, if your opponent is fielding The Riddler character then you don’t want to let him get near a Riddler puzzle objective as he automatically scores victory points if he interacts with them. Likewise, Catwoman scores bonus VP for each turn she has hold of a loot objective, so if she were in your Crew then it makes sense to pick a loot objective as one of your three choices.

How is it played?

Before I ramble about it, here is a demo video by Flashback Generations if you are into being shown stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3G1P4iXGb8

During setup each player puts a number of tokens equal to half the number of turns to be played into a bag. Each player's tokens are of a different colour/design to identify who they represent. Each turn starts with the 'Take The Lead' phase where one token is drawn to determine who 'takes the lead'. That player then decides who will 'Raise the Plan' first and allocate tokens to the abilities of all their characters. This player has the disadvantage of showing their hand first, but will also get to activate a character first so there is a trade off here between seeing what your opponent is planning to do and giving away the first move of the turn.

Each character comes with a stat card detailing their attributes, abilities and equipment. The willpower stat determines how many counters they get to distribute each turn up to the value of their other attributes. Like Batman here:

Batman has willpower 8, so gets to distribute up 8 counters per turn. You would have to choose how to split them with up to 3 in Movement, 5 in Attack, 5 in Defence or 3 in Special. If you want to cover a lot of ground this turn you might max out movement but put less into the others. If Bats is in the middle of a punch-up then you might split all 8 between attack/defence and put none into movement. The trick is that you need to make these decisions for your entire crew at the beginning of the turn, maybe before you get to see what your opponent does. There are some abilities and the like that may give you some flexibility to swap things around mid-turn which is really useful as you can imagine.

At which point I should probably mention that The Joker's crew is considered to be the most newbie friendly crew as he gets an ability (Kaos agent/Trickster) that enables his henchmen to redistribute their counters when activated.

Once you are done procrastinating over counters, the turn is played out using alternate activation where players, umm, alternate in activating their characters for the turn! The player with the smallest crew is allowed to ‘pass’ a number of activations equal to the difference in size between the smallest and largest crews in the game. This helps to balance up the initiative advantage a bit making small crews more viable and less prone to get mobbed after running out of stuff to activate.

Movement is 10cm for all characters as standard and can be increased by spending movement counters to add D6 cm for each counter you spend, and/or by running for 1 move & 1 special counter which lets you double your total movement distance but you must move in a straight line. There are also mechanics like the Batclaw which allow you grapple onto scenery elements and swing between rooftops or gargoyles to move between different ‘areas’ of the table (from rooftop to rooftop, or ground to rooftop etc). These again use movement/special counters to use.
Melee combat appears to be the dominant method of hurting people and involves using attack counters to make attack rolls against an opponent spending defence counters to block, or just straight hits if they don’t. Damage comes in two flavours, ‘stun’ and ‘blood’. Stun damage adds up and can render a character unconscious (which scores VP) but can be recovered from. ‘Blood’ damage represents physical injury and can result in a character becoming a casualty in which case they are out of the game (which scores more VP).

As damage counters (of both types combined) mount up, a character begins to lose action counters. This means that as the character gets increasing beat up, they are able to do less each turn until they are either K.O’ed or bleed out. So attrition can be a problem for even the more powerful characters, Batman may be able to power through a couple of Joker’s goons but if he gets swamped by enough of them then he will eventually succumb.

Ranged combat is obviously a part of the game and a powerful one. Ranged weapons tend to deal lots of blood damage while unarmed melee deals stun. A few hits from a rifle could see your character in serious trouble which is why ranged weapons are limited by visibility (remember the illumination mechanic), by funding cost and by limited ammo. Your assault rifle might be devastating, but you may only get enough ammo to fire it two or three times in a six turn game which makes ammo conservation important as is the decision to spend precious funds on extra ammo!

At the end of the turn you do stuff like roll to recover a point of stun damage or recover from being K.O’ed. You also add up your running total of victory points and check the scenario’s win conditions to see if anyone has won yet. If not you carry on until you reach the turn limit or one crew has suffered loses that have reduced their Reputation (points) value below 70% of whatever it started at. Once you fall below that threshold you pick a character still conscious and start rolling against their willpower stat to stay in the game. If you fail then your crew routs and the game ends. Your opponent gets a VP bonus and you add up the final score.

What Crews are there?

See this post by Trollhawke:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3724680#post446980175

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Reserved.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Reserved.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Thanks for writing this up, it sounds like it could be fun.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Lungboy posted:

Thanks for writing this up, it sounds like it could be fun.

It seems to be getting a warm reception and growing a community steadily. Not bad as the rulebook was only published a few months ago and there is no starter set yet.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Is there a place I could play this online? This game seems cool, but there's no way I will find people to do it locally.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I've started getting into is as well, and it's great fun so far.

As for playing online, I suppose vassal could work if someone wrote a module but the game makes a lot of use of height and the like which is lost in a 2d environment.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Yeah I get the feeling that the game is very vertical and that would be hard to translate online.

I really need my order of stuff to turn up so I can get more hands on with this.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I'm sort of lukewarm on the game itself, but the company does sell some really affordable shipping containers.

Also I haven't really done much of Knight Models small scale stuff, but I recently did a commission on their 70mm Lex Luthor and it's an awesome model.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3G1P4iXGb8

For those looking to learn how to play, here's a simple tutorial.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Let's get this ball slightly rolling. If you're interested in joining the game, here's some relatively cheap tournament number (i.e. Close to 350 rep and $1000) teams, and exclude.

As a note, all monetary prices are based on the outpost except for the last one, which is linked on the Batbuilder page:

League of Shadows Ninja pride team
  • Leader - Ras al Ghoul (Film version) [120]
  • Sidekick - Lady Shiva [85]
  • Henchman -Lotus, Yang, League Agents 1,2 and 3 [143 total]
Total costs:
348 rep, $200 at around £40 IRL (Ras al Ghoul pack, Lady Shiva pack)

Batman Under new management crew
  • Sidekicks - Nightwing (85), Red Hood (84)
  • Free agent - Titan Bane (150)
Total costs:
319 rep, $400 and IRL £40 (£10 each for Dick and Jason, £20.00 for Bane)

Watchmen complete crew
All watchmen, comes to 350 rep, purchase from Knight Minis for 66.96 euros (or £47)

Post your fun crew ideas here.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I found the models at miniaturemarket.com for a good price. The League of Shadows army will run you maybe $70, Nightwing is $18, and Bane is $35. Some of the stuff is on clearance, though. :ohdear:

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 2, 2015

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

One of my gaming mates bought into this pretty heavily, so I grabbed myself Ra's crew and a few extra blisters. Wasn't overly impressed with the model quality, but they'll look good with some paint on them. Well, maybe not with my painting skills...

My LGS has a full stock of it the range though, so it's managed to garner a bit of buzz in the area.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Hortism posted:

One of my gaming mates bought into this pretty heavily, so I grabbed myself Ra's crew and a few extra blisters. Wasn't overly impressed with the model quality, but they'll look good with some paint on them. Well, maybe not with my painting skills...

My LGS has a full stock of it the range though, so it's managed to garner a bit of buzz in the area.

Apparently there are a bunch of inferior casts knocking about from a time when knight models were rushing to meet demand. They are pretty good about replacing them I'm hearing. Mine have been Ok so far so I dunno.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Here's a quick write-up of 12 of the crews:

Batman Crew
"I'm Batman." "No I am the night." "We have a problem here."
One of the few 'good guy' crews in the game, a Batcrew is used for playing as Batman and various members of the bat family, including Alfred. Bat family members tend to be on the expensive side, often upwards of 50 points, . There's also five different variants of batman, depending on your needs - Dark Knight rises (with optional badpod), Frank Miller, Adam West, Arkham city and Origins. A Bat crew has the most versatile build options in the game, with Commissioner Gordon allowing unlimited SWAT recruitment and Talia Al Ghul allowing for ninjas - as well as all of the caped crusaders.
There are three main ways to build a Batman crew - a pure Bat Family, A Gotham police crew, or a mix of the two.
Less common example crew:
Commissioner Gordon, Batgirl, Titan Bane, Alpha and Delta (350 rep, 1000$)

SWAT Crew
"And this is where I turn around an-Freeze!"
Once upon a time, the only real way to use SWAT members were with James Gordon, when the Batman crew was known as a Batman/Law crew. Following the inclusion of Liutenant Branden and Commissioner Loeb, there became a dilemma - The two would couldn't be lumped into either straight Batman or straight villain crews - thus, SWAT crews were born. Barring Branden, SWAT crews are lead mostly by support units - Loeb gives you an extra $300, lampost and sewer for setup, while Gordon can use air support to light up an area. SWAT crews tend to favour, well, SWAT, and have a lot of ability to arrest models (modes which turn a knocked down model into a kill). SWAT crews have the third least number of free agents with only two, after Watchmen, and the Court with none apiece.
Batgirl, Batwoman, Catwoman, Mr Freeze, 3 Gotham Policeman (343 rep, 500$)

Green Arrow Crew
"Got not chance, Olly." "Aww, sure you do."
A pretty shot-heavy crew, Green Arrow crews focus on Green Arrow (to nobody's surprise). The third of the 'good guy' crews grants Green Arrow crew access to police and SWAT, but if you're using Green Arrow you probably aren't doing it to spam police officers. Recently added, the Green Arrow crew only has one leader - TV Green Arrow. You can take either Green Arrow and Speedy - either as a leader/sidekick combination or 2 sidekicks, depending on your need. Comic Green Arrow can fire less more often, while TV's Green Arrow can sacrifice his movement to more at once.
Example crew:
TV Green Arrow, Speedy, Huntress, Black Canary (334 rep, 300$)

Bane Crew
"You're a big guy." "For you."
Bane currently has three variants - one for the Dark Knight Rises, one for Arkham Origins and the other for city. You can read more about the differences here. While all three are big buys, with none of them costing under 90, the crew can pull out some serious firepower with their Soldiers fortune, impressive array of free agents and Bane (or is it Bane?). Bane Crew henchman come in two main flavours - Origin style Soldiers of Fortune or City style Prisoners. In either case, Bane is usually the star of the Bane Crew Show.
Example of a big guy crew:
Titan Bane, Solomon Grundy, Venom Soldier (335, 0$)

Joker Crew
"CAN'T YOU JUST PLAY ALONG?!"
The Joker. Probably one of the most famous Batman villains, and one of the hardest to predict thanks to his trickster, which allows a model him re-arrange his dice upon activation. Mental disorders, some useful and some less so, tend to be the bread and butter of a Joker crew, as do clown masks and prisoners. A Joker crew has a lot of variety in its leadership, from Titan Joker to City Joker to Heath Ledger and his henchman with a bomb in it. The crew has a lot of specialized henchman, and using each one right can be the difference between a laughingstock and the last laugh.
Heath Ledger, Classic Harley, Titan Clown, 3 Clowns with Tubes, 3 Clowns with Knives (349 rep, 0$)

The League of Shadows
"And then I said, 'Oh no! I have been slain, Mr. Wayne!'"
Do you like NInjas? I hope the answer is yes if you pick League of Shadows. Based on the Lazarus pit harbouring secret society, The League has room for one and only one leader: Ras Al Ghul. It does have an impressive array of sidekicks, however - With Tom Hardy, Lady Shiva, Nyssa and Talia al Ghul, it's not a bad shout to build a crew without Ras. You also get exclusive access to Batman Begins Scarecrow, who is a pretty powerful if situational unit - He can negate mental disorders, automatically solve any riddles on the board and turn any KO into a casualty that he can see. Your models tend to be a bit lacking on the defensive side, but tend not to suffer defensively when ganged up upon. A lot of the crew has at least some form of improved melee, which usually tailors a crew towards longer games.
Talia Al Ghul, Lady Shiva, Ying, Yang, Lotus, League agents 1 and 3, Mcgregor (336, 100$)

Penguin Crew
Harry Enfield Intensifies
There are two main strengths to a Penguin crew: The Penguin himself, and a joke about his girth.
But real talk, Arkham city Penguin provides a ton of major benefits to his crew - allowing them to chain into each other easier, 500$ extra dollars and the big one - you can hire free agents for every 100 points rather than 150. This means that, with Arkham Penguin, you can effectively get Mr Freeze for nothing more than his point value, and then build the rest of your crew as normal.
This versatility rivals Batman crews in terms of available options, allowing for two main build types - Tall (powerful free agents) or wide (lots of henchman).
You can also use TV Penguin, I guess, but he's only worth it if you really like the TV show, close combat and swarms.
As you may have guessed, the Penguin model himself is not a powerful one.
Tall Penguin crew example:
Arkham Penguin, Firefly, Mr Freeze, Solomon Grundy (350, 950+500$)
Wide Penguin crew example:
Gotham Penguin, 3 Titan Blue Penguins, 3 Blue penguins with axes, Prisoner #3, High Security Henchman (347 rep, 0$)

"What do you mean 'just cut the foliage?" "I mean cut the drat foliage. What's it doing, attacking you?"
The main appeal of Poison Ivy is plants. The second main appeal of Poison Ivy is a Posion Ivy Model, Swamp Thing, and Plants to support. The third appeal is a Sirens of Gotham crew, which even comes with its own boxed set. And then yeah, I guess the model is pretty.
Poison Ivy herself can still be a frightening model - her Arkham version automatically KOs anyone whom she grabs, while the comic version can reduce an enemy's attack, defence and locks off their special abilities. While her plants can't do things like manipulate or solve riddles, they're very cheap for their damage output. On the downside, each one that is KO'd automatically becomes a casualty, and they are fragile.
Crew example:
Arkham Ivy, Catwoman, Classic Harley, 3 creepers, Prisoner 03, Prisoner 04, a Prisoner with a stick and a Prisoner with a tube (350 rep, 0$)

Two Face Crew
"I thought as long as I had Batman at my mercy, he deserved a 50-50 chance."
Two Face is an impressive piece with two main styles of play - If he's close enough and can keep his head steady, he can fire for 6 damage 4 times at least per game, with a chance of instantly killing anyone he kills. If he needs to tail it, however, he can give any Every goon within 30cm of him two action counters - that's a lot of counters. Admittedly this is once per game, but place it right and you can turn a game on it's head. Needless to say, Two face likes henchman - even without his once per game, he can hire as many gangsters as he likes, and the more suits or two-face only goons you buy, the easier it becomes to paint the suit. He even has reinforced gloves, allowing him to still do at least some damage when the tommy gun dries up. What's more, his only choice of sidekick is Liutenant Branden, granting you access to SWAT as well. On the downside, a lot of the crew's better models cost a lot of money to hire.
Two Face crew example:
Two- Face, Mr. Freeze, Firefly, 3 Puooup, 3 Twoowt (329, 950$)

The Watchmen
"And all the Moores and new players will look up and say 'nice crew', and I will look down and whisper 'thanks'."
Probably the closes thing to a "starter set" this game has to offer, The Watchmen are a crew you buy all 5 pieces of, and boom. Tournament ready team. This helps, because you can only use Watchmen with other Watchmen - if you're worried about your first tournament, it's a good idea to buy the Watchmen just because it's a complete set, with only one set of rules to memorize and no real need to customize your crew. It also helps that if you like Owlman, Night Owl is about as good a tournament legal proxy as you can get, with a different colour scheme and maybe a smidgen of greenstuff.
For an in-depth analysis, you can listen to Flashback generation's Watchmen guide here, which tells you everything you need to know.

Black Mask Crew
"Because that Justice system you love so much is a scam, and you? You're the mark."
The Black Mask is similar to Two-Face in a lot of ways. He's very friendly to henchmen, can hire as many gangsters as he likes, wears a suit, only has Liutenant Branden as a sidekick and has a sweet buff for henchmen. His is less versatile than Two-faces, although he can use it every turn, and it is situational - his only applies on every crit. It's range is limitless, however, and it effects himself as well - generally, this means a Black Mask crew has a high damage output. Generally, you'll build your Black Mask Crew like your Two Face Crew.
Less Common Crew Example:
Black Mask, Cooperhead, Deadshot, Anatoly, Boris, Dirty Tom, 2 goons (347, 850$)

Organized Crime
"This took me two hours. Want to see what I can get done in a whole evening?"
This is one of what I like to term 'Developing crews' - crews which currently have stuff, but with more models will get more of their own identity. One example of this you'll find on the batbuilder are the MR Freeze, Scarecrow and Riddler Gangs - technically, you could agree with a friend to give the appropriate villain Leader, but otherwise your crew is free agents and henchman. Black Mask, at least, has his own unique crew models - One of the more developing crews is Organized Crime.
What makes the crew stand out is how top heavy it is - your leadership choice is two sidekicks from Commissioner Loeb, Liutenant Branden, Gotham Penguin and The Red Hood. That's at least 140 rep used up and at most 800$ as well. The Red Hood, being the only one I haven't at least mentioned in passing, uses two guns and is designed for getting close and then going nuts with your two pistols. Now's a good time to bring up Corrupt, a trait used by Loeb and Branden - this allows them to bring 3 Law forces henchmen with them, even if they're working in a bad guy crew, such as Organized Crime.
This crew doesn't have any unique units on its own, but thanks to the way the crew is currently structure it begins to take on some of its own identity. If you buy for the Organized Crime Crew, there are three main areas you can go from there - a low-model Bat Crew, SWAT or a generic villain crew.
Example crew:
Red Hood, Gotham Penguin, The Riddler, Pirsoner 03, Prisoner with Tube, Pavillion A Subject (350, 500$).

The Court of Owls <Link to the wiki page
"Beware The Court of Owls, that watches all the time, ruling Gotham from a shadow perch, behind granite and lime."
The other of the two developing crews available right now, right now they're similar in to the Watchmen. You can't hire any free agents (so far), You have only your models and that's that. Right now, there are only five models available, of which three are unique henchmen. Their two defining traits are that most are vulnerable to cold, and those same models can also reroll to recover from a KO. On the flipside, your opponent gets an extra VP off everyone who isn't their leader, Benjamin Orchard. If you want to get into 150 rep games to start, the set is an excellent buy - by just leaving out William Cobb, you have a 150 rep team ready to go. As they stand, I wouldn't call them tournament ready.
If your local area is willing to house rule while waiting for more models, letting them buy Black Mask Goon or a selection of League of Shadow Ninjas should help the crew - it makes sense, and is easy to make fit (just greenstuff the mask onto the guys). Admittedly though, they're only 51 points off tournament standard, so you might not deem it necessary.
Only possible crew:
Benjamin Orchard, Gotham Butcher, William Cobb, Strix, Xiao Loong (299,100$).

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Nice summary, glad I didn't get around to mashing one together yet!

acerimmerrocks
Aug 22, 2005

"I didn't know your bread was buttered that side, Bongo."
Just started getting into this game have gotten half the squad I want. Just thought id post the squad up here see what people think.

Batman Swat Team

Leader - Batman (DKR) [120]
Sidekick - James W. Gordon [70 $200]
Henchman - Alfred Pennyworth, Alpha, Bravo, Delta, Gotham Policeman x2 [160 $1100]

Total costs:
350rep, $1300

Also thinking eventually will get the pack with the Echo swat member and change the 2x policemen to him.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

acerimmerrocks posted:

Just started getting into this game have gotten half the squad I want. Just thought id post the squad up here see what people think.

Batman Swat Team

Leader - Batman (DKR) [120]
Sidekick - James W. Gordon [70 $200]
Henchman - Alfred Pennyworth, Alpha, Bravo, Delta, Gotham Policeman x2 [160 $1100]

Total costs:
350rep, $1300

Also thinking eventually will get the pack with the Echo swat member and change the 2x policemen to him.

This looks pretty solid - the only thing I can mention is that most games run $500 per 150 rep, so in some environments you'd need to cut down on your holla holla. The simplest way to do so is to remove either Alpha or Bravo probably Bravo. You've got a good combo with Delta and Alfred - If you conga line them and make it so your middle man isn't exposed, it's a blink roll, with a 4+ to actually damage delta if attacked at range, plus the shield. Then, you can activate Alfred later on to heal either of them, and deliver your escort (probably Alpha) to deliver an rear end Whuppin. Interesting that you went DKR without Batpod, but it's limited usage so I can understand why.

My recommendation: A very good start. Swap one of Alpha or Bravo for Echo, and then you're good. Alternatively you could pick up the Batpod for three extra 2 damage shots, and still use DKR when Batpod dismounts.

acerimmerrocks
Aug 22, 2005

Trollhawke posted:

This looks pretty solid - the only thing I can mention is that most games run $500 per 150 rep, so in some environments you'd need to cut down on your holla holla. The simplest way to do so is to remove either Alpha or Bravo probably Bravo. You've got a good combo with Delta and Alfred - If you conga line them and make it so your middle man isn't exposed, it's a blink roll, with a 4+ to actually damage delta if attacked at range, plus the shield. Then, you can activate Alfred later on to heal either of them, and deliver your escort (probably Alpha) to deliver an rear end Whuppin. Interesting that you went DKR without Batpod, but it's limited usage so I can understand why.

My recommendation: A very good start. Swap one of Alpha or Bravo for Echo, and then you're good. Alternatively you could pick up the Batpod for three extra 2 damage shots, and still use DKR when Batpod dismounts.

I thought Alfred provided $300 extra funding to the gang, can it not be used on crew? I went with DKR just cause hes the Batman I like the most and didn't want to add the batpod yet as its a few more rules to learn. Nobody round here actually plays yet so it doesn't really matter if the list isn't optimal just not complete garbage. Thanks for your opinion and help next time i'm ordering some models I'll defiantly think about getting the batpod for future use.

I have on the way DKR, Police set 2, Ra's and league set, league set 1, Nyssa, Green Arrow TV, Court of Owls and Gotham Butcher. Combined with what I have already (Gordon and Swat Team, Police Set 1, Alfred and Talia) I think I should be able to make up some good and varied crews.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
What could I add to get the equivalent of Diggle?

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

acerimmerrocks posted:

I thought Alfred provided $300 extra funding to the gang, can it not be used on crew? I went with DKR just cause hes the Batman I like the most and didn't want to add the batpod yet as its a few more rules to learn. Nobody round here actually plays yet so it doesn't really matter if the list isn't optimal just not complete garbage. Thanks for your opinion and help next time i'm ordering some models I'll defiantly think about getting the batpod for future use.

I have on the way DKR, Police set 2, Ra's and league set, league set 1, Nyssa, Green Arrow TV, Court of Owls and Gotham Butcher. Combined with what I have already (Gordon and Swat Team, Police Set 1, Alfred and Talia) I think I should be able to make up some good and varied crews.

You're right, Alfred does give you an extra 300$. It's still a pretty good list - a decent amount of ranged, but also a good number of improved melee attackers for when the bullets run dry.

I'm working on a campaign system for the game, just ironing out the kinks - are there any particular storylines people want to see as campaigns? I'm currently working on an 'over-the-edge' camapign, but was wondering what people wanted to see.

acerimmerrocks
Aug 22, 2005

Just finished the first batch of figures for my swat crew.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Nice, I'm trying to decide what to assemble paint next. Got my Arkham City Batman & Robin or my Ras & league set.

Already have the Bane origins crew and Alfred done, so I'm getting close to a playable game!

Still waiting on Wayland to ship me sewers, lampposts and objectives though. Also Talia. I knew it would be slow but Urgh they are taking their sweet time!

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

acerimmerrocks posted:

Just finished the first batch of figures for my swat crew.

Nice!

Can I ask how you painted the blue on the Swat guys?

acerimmerrocks
Aug 22, 2005

Trollhawke posted:

Nice!

Can I ask how you painted the blue on the Swat guys?

Its just a dark blue base coat, then put Nuln Oil wash on. Then just highlighted the edges and raised areas with progressively lighter shades of the blue.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

The first July reveal is here, and it isn't the crew set I was expecting. Although maybe I should have. Harley Quinn now has a leader variant with some new henchmen.

I was honestly expecting either a Riddler or Scarecrow crew set this month as those are still missing from the range in the book. Whelp, we'll see what else get announced I guess.

I like this set but I'm not sure about the clown with the drill. Shouldn't his right arm be holding onto that thing?

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Ugleb posted:

The first July reveal is here, and it isn't the crew set I was expecting. Although maybe I should have. Harley Quinn now has a leader variant with some new henchmen.

I was honestly expecting either a Riddler or Scarecrow crew set this month as those are still missing from the range in the book. Whelp, we'll see what else get announced I guess.

I like this set but I'm not sure about the clown with the drill. Shouldn't his right arm be holding onto that thing?

Man, that Harley model looks really nice. It's gonna be a pain to paint though. Although it looks like it'd fit in quite well with a Two Face crew, if she could free agent for them.

My predictions for the next set of announcements:
  • The Arkham Knight will be part of the organized crime group, considering The most obvious Arkham knight spoiler of all time
  • Obvs Scarecrow and Riddler stuff.
  • According to leaks, Mr.Freeze and The Mad Hatter will be part of the sidequest DLC for Arkham knight, so they'll come along later.
  • Mech Riddler and robots

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Ahead of actually sitting down to try playing this game tomorrow (at last!) thought I'd cross post some of what I've been working on from the oath thread. Along with my Bane crew we will be testing these guys out over a few games hopefully.

Oath complete!

Personally, I think I'm starting to improve a little. Still a long way to go before I'm happy though!

The dynamic duo, including Batman's muscles and Robin's 'a month late for the yellow challenge' cape lining:

And their capes, quite pleased with these.

Ras and the League of Shadows. Or Assassins maybe. As there are loads of black outfits in Batman I went with Ras from the start of Batman Begins plus a red scarf because why not. Faces are hard though, need to learn how to do better eyes and hair. Suit turned out ok, and I avoided the temptation to just leave the ninjas in black primer!

And the back shot. Again, I think my shading is getting better and I'm happy with how the suit came out here.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Grey Hunter and I managed to get in three games yesterday, it was pretty fun! :)

We started with a 150 rep game, Bane (me) vs League (Grey). Dice weren't kind to Grey and Ra's failed to do much damage. Not much died and I pulled a lead by focusing on objectives more than attacking. I think we probably made a lot of small rules mistakes and forgot to use certain abilities to their full effect.

We went up to 200 rep for game two keeping the same gangs to help us get a better handle on things and it felt like a much more solid game with a couple more models in play and us having a better idea of what to do. This game started well for me as I get Dallas into a good sniper spot in deployment with his assault rifle.

I drew a bead on Ra's out in the open and took a big chunk of his health. Turn 2 Grey managed to put his body guard back in the line of fire so I half-killed a ninja instead. Things swung decisively in Grey's favour however when (wounded) Ra's got into close combat with Bane and remembered how to use his sword. Bane was left to bleed out by the sword master and Grey proceeded to murder the rest of my mercs with his Ninja death squad of Katana's and Shuriken.

Game 3 was again 200 rep, but we changed it up a little as I brought out The Batman while Grey rejigged the League to include DKR Scarecrow. We quickly recognised two things different in this game. Batclaws are freaking awesome, and Scarecrow's pyshcotropic gas attack is terrifying! As I was fielding Batman, Robin and Alfred all equipped with Batclaws, I was able to fly across the scenery with ease. When Alfred got gassed by Scarecrow in turn 1 he lost 2 of his 5 action counters and became next to useless for anything but sitting on objectives, so he swiped some loot and Batclawed his way across the board to a quiet corner with an ammo crate in it to gradually rack up VP's for me.

I tried to use Robin to neutralise Scarecrow but soon realised that his flash grenades are a very situational weapon that must be used on an enemy that has yet to activate. I used them to cancel out Scarecrow for one turn but had no means left to actually hurt him given that Alfred was crippled and legging it while Bats himself was still moving across the board from the second deployment zone the scenario had stuck him in. I next discovered that (Arkham City) Robin's damage output is pretty underwhelming in a straight up fight. He seems like a flexible support character, but combat juggernaught he is not.

Once the Free Agent/Henchman slap fight had wound down (and Scarecrow was running out of gas) the heavy hitters finally made it back into the game proper and things degenerated into this:

My attempt to ambush and alpha strike Ra's was a complex maneouver of kiting him with Batman for a few turns while Bats kept failing to hit people with Batarangs but succeeded in picking up a Titan Dose. Robin would strike Ra's and crippling blow with his remaining flash grenade, while Batman swooped in on the stunned super villain while high on Titan to deliver the smackdown. What actually happened was that Ra's shrugged off the grenade (probably while laughing at my pathetic parlour tricks) and I rolled terribly with Batman's full 5 titan-fuelled attacks. And Scarecrow managed to gas Batman. Bloody Scarecrow!

The punching match that ensued saw Batman take multiple sword injuries while Robin grabbed Ra's from behind enabling Batman to eventually knock out Ra's. Who promptly recovered and went back to trying to kill The Batman. I failed to switch target and take out the Ninja which would have things a bit easier and scored me more VP but at least I didn't lose anyone.

As exciting as all this was, the game was decided by objectives VP. Alfred steadily scored points for me all game while Scarecrow eventually retreated to go do the same for Grey. I picked up points for that brief KO of Ra's as well which meant I ultimately won by something like a 20vp margin. It really does pay to focus on objectives I think.

I'll be working on expanding the crew options and getting more terrain sorted out for our next game, I think not having any sidekick options was a big limitation to our options as was not having any of the cheapest hecnhmen. I look forwards to stepping up a bit next time! :)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I so should have put my grass mat down, it would have looked a lot better.

I enjoyed the game, but I need to get objectives straight in my head, it does seem to work better to have a large gang and grab as many as possible. Expensive leaders may well be cool, but I think Penguin will do well, as he can get a larger gang and order them around.

We need to play some more missions to confirm.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

If you have your crew ready by the 26th of September, you can join the worldwide Batman day tournament!

Although it was only announced yesterday, stay tuned to their facebook page where they will announce more soon.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

This is one week after the Dropzone Invasion tournament, doubt the wife would be impressed!

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
My club has gone mad for this game so I bought in. So far I own the Penguin starter crew box (Emperor, Royal, Blue with Shield plus Oswald himself) and Catwoman, because I like her model.

That's 209 Reputation and $600.

If I understand right at 350 Reputation you have $1000 plus the $500 the Penguin gives you. So how does this crew look:

quote:

The Penguin
Catwoman
Titan Blue Penguin x2
Penguin Emperor
Royal Penguin
Blue Penguin with Shield
Blue Penguin with Autogun x2 (345, $1500)

Plus two Laser Sights, probably for Royal and one of the Autogun guys.

The alternative seems to be drop one of the Titans and replace the two Autoguns with a Blue Penguin Machete and Mr Freeze, which I will admit is pretty fun sounding.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

So I was thinking I'd share some of the newer releases and forgot to come back to them last month, so together with the Harley Quinn crew set we got this lot:

Arkham Knight Batman is the new most expensive Batman and comes with the huge gargoyle. I like him, even if it is a massive hunk of stone attached to him, quite a few people seem to be converting him to stand on bits of wall and stuff.

AK Robin is again a more expensive version of the character and this time a sidekick rather than a free agent. Apparently the shield staff thing is in the game, sadly as a PC owner I'm waiting on the devs to make the game actually playable enough to put back on sale so I wouldn't know.

Killerfrost is both a free agent and a sidekick for the Mr Freeze crew, which makes her the first and only model so far available for that crew! Gotta start somewhere I guess. ;)

Finally the Arkham Asylum Inmates. I'm not sure what makes them Arkham Asylum Inmates rather than more Blackgate Prisoners to be honest. They have little in common with the Arkham lunatics so I don't get that theme tbh.

But hey, onto the NEW STUFF! August releases are coming through late as Knight Models have been relocating office/warehouse or something. But there is a list out and the first image.

And the list:

Red Hood Arkham Knight
The Riddler And Bot Army
The Riddler's Bot Army Set I
Harley Quinn´S Thugs Set I
Azrael Arkham Knight
Hugo Strange And Inmates
BMG Small Bases
The Riddler Markers
Bat-Signal Objective Marker
Red Hood Markers

If that is correct then August is basically a double month of releases! Hugo Strange & Inmates is either a new crew (I doubt it as not all of the crews from the rulebook are out yet) or something like the Victor Zasz & Arkham Lunatics set, which would make Hugo a free agent. I think I will want that set. Riddler not only gets a crew set but a couple of extra henchman and there is another set for Harley's crew in there as well.

The Riddler Bot Army crew set is really dividing opinions by the looks of things. A lot of people seem to love it, just as many were hoping for something different for Riddler. I dunno, I like that it is different but I'm not attached to the idea of those bots (maybe because I haven't played the drat game..).

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Ugleb posted:

Red Hood Arkham Knight
The Riddler And Bot Army

Called it (though it was kinda obvious)!

I hope we don't get rules in the Riddler army for the free agent Riddler so I can proxy in the model. Mostly because though I'm sure it's been said before, but Arkham Knight Riddler (and AK Robin, for that matter) aren't deisgns I'm fond of. Nice models, though.

Also, still holding out for Professor Pyg, possibly as part of Organized Crime.

edit: Also the shield-staff thing is mostly from Origins multiplayer, as opposed to Knight.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Was it? I hardly touched the multi player so guess I missed that.

I don't think KM have ever put more rules in a crew box than cards for the minis in that box. I've already seen a few people discussing subbing the AK Riddler out, he really is dividing opinion. What do you think of the bots?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

And the August release in full (except the Riddler/Red Hood counters):

There is so much stuff there that I want to paint....

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Ugleb posted:

And the August release in full (except the Riddler/Red Hood counters):

Oh my word that Az though.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I see him being popular, also Red Hood even if it does remind me of Assassins Creed alot.

Personally I want Hugo Strange. Really like the Arkham City look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So how is this game? A miniature game that is very vertical sounds really intriguing but from the video in the OP it looks like a mass dice roll fest. Is there more depth to the game beyond my guy has this many dice to roll versus your guy who now rolls this much? I'm a sucker for Batman stuff

• Locked thread