Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many Mozgov dunks?
This poll is closed.
0 1 1.82%
1 4 7.27%
4 5 9.09%
12 11 20.00%
Bogut will stab him in the neck 34 61.82%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

I'm trying to think of a famous gambler to mix in but I can only see images of professional poker players in my head.

Doyle Brunson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rick posted:

I'm trying to think of a famous gambler to mix in but I can only see images of professional poker players in my head.

Phil Hellmuth

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

PantsFreeZone posted:

Phil Hellmuth

Bill Fillmaff!!!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think Jordan would be a mix of Oladipo/Harden/Chris Paul/Damon Stoudemire/Vince Carter/Joe Johnson

Haha we are the world's biggest Oladipo supporters :) and everyone else is gonna catch on next year when he has a few more 30+/7/7 games

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Are you implying that Jordan didn't get the poo poo kicked out of him when he drove? It's phrased kind of confusingly.

I'm saying that Jordan's lack of shooting would be the focal point of defenses against him. They'd punish him more for going inside to try to force him to take more 3s. Jordan would be a monster, but I doubt he'd be able to put up 35+ points per game.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dejan Bimble posted:

Bill Fillmaff!!!

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm saying that Jordan's lack of shooting would be the focal point of defenses against him. They'd punish him more for going inside to try to force him to take more 3s. Jordan would be a monster, but I doubt he'd be able to put up 35+ points per game.

Well for one thing I'm not sure how you could punish Jordan more than the Knicks and Pistons did unless you start allowing players to bring shivs or clubs onto the court :) If you go back and watch some of the highlights (lowlights?), it's really loving brutal.

Second thing, I really think people are exaggerating how poorly he shot from the outside. I'm not arguing that he was Ray Allen, but I have a hard time imagining prime Jordan not being able to adapt his game to the modern play style and make the 3 point shot a major aspect of it. It should be noted that every season where he shoots a significant amount of 3s his accuracy is good to excellent.

In '90 he takes 245 attempts at %38.
In '93 he takes 230 attempts at %35.
In '96 he takes 260 attempts at %43.
In '97 he takes 297 attemtps at %37.

Larry Bird had a recent interview in which he talked a lot about how the game has evolved since the 80s and 90s and talked a lot about the 3 point shot specifically. The way he described it, it wasn't really integrated into anyone's strategy on a team or individual level. He said the he didn't really think about shooting them at all unless it was for a very specific reason like a rare set play off an inbounds or if they were down by 1 or 2 at the end of a game. It makes me wonder how many of the 3 pointers Jordan shot were at the end of quarters/halves or last second shots (i.e. inherently low % shots).

You might even make the argument that Jordan playing the modern game could have been more dominant. Michael Jordan with an elite 3 point shot in a world with no handchecking would be loving scary and not give a poo poo about zone defenses. And you absolutely know that Jordan would have 40 or 50 at the half in some game and think "You know something? gently caress you Wilt. I want that single game scoring record." before shooting 25-30 threes in the second half.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Well for one thing I'm not sure how you could punish Jordan more than the Knicks and Pistons did unless you start allowing players to bring shivs or clubs onto the court :) If you go back and watch some of the highlights (lowlights?), it's really loving brutal.

You might even make the argument that Jordan playing the modern game could have been more dominant. Michael Jordan with an elite 3 point shot in a world with no handchecking would be loving scary and not give a poo poo about zone defenses. And you absolutely know that Jordan would have 40 or 50 at the half in some game and think "You know something? gently caress you Wilt. I want that single game scoring record." before shooting 25-30 threes in the second half.

Well you could actually try contesting the shots instead of jumping out of the way and slapping down on him like all the 90's defenders seemed to do.

And yeah I agree with you, if we arbitrarily say that Michael Jordan was much better than he was then he'd definitely be more dominant in this era. If he rode clouds and shat thunder he'd probably average 10 blocks a game too.

No, Jordan could not score nearly as well in this era. The defenses are faster, stronger, and better coached. If you watch Lebron iso on the wing with everyone else on the weak side sometimes the defense will put a defender on the strong side anyway, leaving 3 players to guard 4 in the crowded weak side. This is by rule not a legal tactic when Jordan was playing. The zone defense rules completely changed how defense was coached, and how it was played. Modern NBA defenses are effectively man on the strong side and zone on the weak side. This is nothing like anything Jordan ever faced. If Jordan were on the block the help defense had to stay above the free throw line, they couldn't shade down. Look at Lebron in the post, there's dudes a step away constantly. In Jordan's day you had to commit to a double. With Lebron everyone moves a step toward him so that they can recover if he passes and double as he starts his move. Lebron has to delay his decision to pass or shoot based on what that defender does, Jordan had way more advance warning.

All those Jordan reverse layup highlights are pretty sweet, but you have to keep in mind that Lebron is probably just dunking them.

There's really nothing that Jordan is significantly better than Lebron at. Lebron's just Jordan with a few inches and 50 pounds.

Also Jordan himself admitted he wouldn't have had the career he did if zone defense was legal.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

@nbastats
LeBron has been his team's outright leader in Pts/Rebs/Asts in 35 career playoff games, including in Gm2. Next most all-time is 13 by Bird
:aaaaa:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

In '90 he takes 245 attempts at %38.
In '93 he takes 230 attempts at %35.
In '96 he takes 260 attempts at %43.
In '97 he takes 297 attemtps at %37.

i'm pretty sure in '96 the 3pt line was shorten

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Metapod posted:

i'm pretty sure in '96 the 3pt line was shorten

95, 96, and 97.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Zone defense wasn't legal but it was prevalent and Jordan was hit on his way to the basket constantly (did a random Nuggets team in February in 93 hit him? No, just like a random Nuggets team in 15 in March isn't playing any defense now), in fact it was how he was beaten until he bulked up.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Bashez posted:

Well you could actually try contesting the shots instead of jumping out of the way and slapping down on him like all the 90's defenders seemed to do.

And yeah I agree with you, if we arbitrarily say that Michael Jordan was much better than he was then he'd definitely be more dominant in this era. If he rode clouds and shat thunder he'd probably average 10 blocks a game too.

No, Jordan could not score nearly as well in this era. The defenses are faster, stronger, and better coached. If you watch Lebron iso on the wing with everyone else on the weak side sometimes the defense will put a defender on the strong side anyway, leaving 3 players to guard 4 in the crowded weak side. This is by rule not a legal tactic when Jordan was playing. The zone defense rules completely changed how defense was coached, and how it was played. Modern NBA defenses are effectively man on the strong side and zone on the weak side. This is nothing like anything Jordan ever faced. If Jordan were on the block the help defense had to stay above the free throw line, they couldn't shade down. Look at Lebron in the post, there's dudes a step away constantly. In Jordan's day you had to commit to a double. With Lebron everyone moves a step toward him so that they can recover if he passes and double as he starts his move. Lebron has to delay his decision to pass or shoot based on what that defender does, Jordan had way more advance warning.

All those Jordan reverse layup highlights are pretty sweet, but you have to keep in mind that Lebron is probably just dunking them.

There's really nothing that Jordan is significantly better than Lebron at. Lebron's just Jordan with a few inches and 50 pounds.

Also Jordan himself admitted he wouldn't have had the career he did if zone defense was legal.

Haha and despite all this Jordan was better than LeBron and MJ never lost in the finals, dang :o:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Rick posted:

Johnny Chan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

johnny chan is the jeremy lin of gambling

• Locked thread