Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The daily rewards combined with missions are definitely the way to get credits, the hourly rate for normal play time is almost negligible in comparison (and it's based on play time not performance). Even if you can't play, it might be worth firing up the game every 3 hours to check what your new missions are and delete the ones you don't like (Execution mode is a major time sink so often gets deleted, any 500 credit ones in hopes of getting a 750/1000 credit one instead).

Once you get the mercs you want and their loadouts though the credit grind sorta disappears unless you really love gambling on skins. I have a hundred unopened cases and 500k credits because I'm too lazy to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010

isndl posted:

The daily rewards combined with missions are definitely the way to get credits, the hourly rate for normal play time is almost negligible in comparison (and it's based on play time not performance). Even if you can't play, it might be worth firing up the game every 3 hours to check what your new missions are and delete the ones you don't like (Execution mode is a major time sink so often gets deleted, any 500 credit ones in hopes of getting a 750/1000 credit one instead).

Once you get the mercs you want and their loadouts though the credit grind sorta disappears unless you really love gambling on skins. I have a hundred unopened cases and 500k credits because I'm too lazy to use them.

Right click, open all. Its a shame that this game is so neglected, been playing for quite long time. Always fun.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I turned that giant pile of lead loadouts into random bronzes while that event was going on.

isndl
May 2, 2012
New update. Aimee released, 80 HP sniper with PDP, FELIX, and Grandeur loadouts. Has a little spotter drone thing that you launch at walls where it attaches and then spots dudes who get close, disables their health regen when they get spotted. New badges, 5-man matchmaking is back, increased credit gain in ranked again, some kind of new audio reverb system?

Gameplay Changes posted:

All Sniper Rifles

Removed all scope-sway while moving, making it easier to aim on the move
Removed random cross-hair offset adjustment that occurred as players were scoping-in

PDP-70

Reduced rate of fire to 164RPM (from 180RPM)
Increased recoil by ~10%
Increased hip-fire spread by ~50%

Grandeur SR

Reduced rate of fire to 180RPM (from 200RPM)
Reduced hip-fire spread by ~10%

MoA SNPR-1

FEL-IX

Other Changes

Gameplay

Added team coloring to Ammo Stations
Reworked Healing Station behavior to address certain situations where health would not be restored
Reduced Ranked demotion buffers so players can be demoted by losing ~2 games in a row after a promotion, instead of ~3
Reduced the collision box of the Proximity Mine to more closely match the model

User Interface

Added the option for Classic Team HUD in the Game Options menu
Progress percentage is now shown when hovering over Ranked progress bar
Improved performance of in-game Voting popups

Audio

Added additional environmental audio such as fire in Bridge and gas in Terminal and Underground
Added audio for purchasing Trinkets

Visual Effects

Optimized Airstrike explosion and Orbital Laser effects

Notable Bug Fixes

Fixed bug where two Health Packs, Ammo Packs or Proximity Mines could be thrown at the same time
Fixed bug where removed or destroyed items were still highlighted by Bomb Squad
Fixed bug where Redeye's Smoke could block the effects of Health Stations, Healing Pulses and Concussion Grenades
Fixed bug where it was difficult to repair the Generator on the second Objective in Trainyard
Fixed bug where XP totals could extend beyond the Merc boxes in the Profile Stats screen
Fixed bug where Sniper Rifle scopes could have a slight reddish tint
Fixed bug where Equipment Cases gained by levelling up could not be quick-opened
Fixed bug where Healing Station visual effects could persist if the Station was Scrambled by a Concussion Grenade
Fixed bug where Ranked icons in the End-Game review were using the Pre-Season variants
Fixed bug where Assist and Finish Assist XP wasn't being correctly awarded
Fixed bug where Merc dialogue would repeat while Trading Up or Trading In

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Patch also rewrites your DefaultUI.ini file, so if you used something like the custom HUD I posted, I hope you made a backup! Turns out I was able to use what I posted as a backup (which has been updated, once again, if interested).

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
So aimee lost the immensely buggy picture in picture aspect of her camera and the concuss effect (the only thing that made it good) in exchange for disabling healing.

If no one shoots the obvious wall dongle, that is. :sigh:

If the game was slower paced and had a higher TTK maybe it wouldn't be so mediocre. Beyond the 'new' merc hype, there's very little reason why you'd pick aimee over anyone else. Kira already fills the niche of backline/flanking glass cannon, sparks was a better sniper than the actual sniper classes. Redeye is better at her job than she is and vasili can hide his wizball behind cover and spot things through walls.

Aimee's camera gimmick has existed in one form or another for at least two years and it's still not worth a drat.

SD has been deadset on retaining abilities that were broken or underwhelming in testing and turn out broken or underwhelming upon release. I really wonder why didn't they axe certain character concepts if they proved difficult to work into something viable.

Phantom never had utility as recon. At no point did it require reinventing the wheel to give him a role when TF2 and PS2 gave the cloaking class something else to do. He was so overpowered he was slated for a rework and ended up being broken as poo poo during phantom week. Thunder was never going to be mindblowingly amazing, coming into existence as an offbranch of the old fragger (who was supposed to have frag and flash grenades). I had hopes his gun would great but it can't trade effectively when his model is so large you can shoot him completely blind.

isndl
May 2, 2012
So in addition to disabling healing Aimee's little spycam debuff increases damage taken. It's not obvious how much of an increase it is, but supposedly you can one-shot anything squishier than Fragger with a PDP headshot when it's in effect. I have no idea what the radius of the spycam detection range is, but it's pretty hard to find unless you see it flying through the air - it's only slightly larger than the heartbeat sensor, doesn't pulse the team color as brightly, and can be stuck out of the way on ceilings and walls where you don't normally look.

It's hard to get a feel for how useful it is given nobody has it really figured out yet, most pubs barely use Vassili's heartbeat sensor as it is. I'll probably reserve judgment until she goes on free rotation and then play around with it.

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Why don't more people play this game? It's super fun and free, one of the better online shooters out there in my opinion...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don't know, I really enjoy it. I'm not playing it right now because my laptop can't handle it, but it's a lot of fun. The grind is awful, though.

It's funny how much rage Fletcher gets. People playing some of the fastest characters will run in a straight line and say how OP it is that he can 1-shot them if he gets a direct hit with a grenade.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

BobMcFartsens posted:

Why don't more people play this game? It's super fun and free, one of the better online shooters out there in my opinion...

I stopped playing because my bad karma made it so I was on the losing team 100% of the time.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I got into it a bit late, but I'm playing quite a bit currently. Old TF2 clan mate buddy of mine is also playing it, so that helps.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I've got 276 hours in this game now and didn't know there was a thread on the forums. If anyone wants to be a DB buddy add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/jhvh1/

If you are new to the game I can give tips or whatever. I took a break for a while, but every time they have an event I come back.

The event going on means for the next month there are going to be 4 mercs on free rotation each week, so a great time to try new ones out or get into the game. Basically right now they are using the free mercs as votes by putting them on your team. Each week the winner goes into the final week and then one merc gets picked from those and the special case you can earn gets unlocked. It is very easy to get enough credits for that case just by doing some missions and then you can open it later after the event ends.

There are also limited time card drops for each weeks mercs that randomly can show up after you complete a game.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

BobMcFartsens posted:

Tying together the abilities and cosmetics is pretty bad and the game has been essentially unchanged for years. Now that Overwatch is imminent all my DB friends have switched. RIP.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Pretty big update today after the special event. They are giving away a free expert case every day for the rest of the month if you just log in and play one game.

Also because of the last event, proxy has lost an eye temporarily and is wearing a patch now. Probably will be some story related to it again when it gets removed from the normal cards.

New update also has the gen 2 loadout cards where they removed a lot of the un-preferred augments. They also have kira with katana and phantom with cricket bat as part of the gen 2.

Speaking of Phantom, he will the EMP effect that thunder had while cloaked. So now he can lead the charge and sneak in to plant or help the rest of the team take down a defense.
Thunder on the other hand got 10 points extra health and his grenade will hide enemies that are tagged so you can no longer just shoot for whats by the red text. People said it was a nerf removing EMP aspect of his grenade but really hardly anyone played thunder and it was pretty rare to see the EMP actually being used unless a team was really organized.

Additionally, now every time you level up in the game you will get a special arsenal crate which could have the chance of stuff like credit boosters or expert cases. So the level up rewards are no longer just one lame case which you end up getting a lead card in. (Which is the same as what drops randomly anyway)

Also now the game has a new tutorial, and a timed assault course where you can practice with fragger right now and do ammo supplies, take out dummies and use wall jumps.

Its a pretty drat big update. I was going to take a break till they added any of the new maps or the new real matchmaking (which I hope they don't delay too long, because team balance is my biggest gripe).

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I haven't played for ~7 months or so and it's really striking to see that there hasn't been more than a single new character and a handful of loadout cards added in that whole time despite the game still being in active pre-release development. SD doesn't even have any other eggs in their basket, do they? It's just DB, right? All I want is a bunch of new maps, I mean everything prior to Dome was some of the best multiplayer level design I've ever seen and I want more of it. As for balance, SD clearly have no idea what they're doing so I could care less if they want to tweak spread/damage/falloff numbers for the rest of eternity, I just want some new maps damnit.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

treat posted:

I haven't played for ~7 months or so and it's really striking to see that there hasn't been more than a single new character and a handful of loadout cards added in that whole time despite the game still being in active pre-release development. SD doesn't even have any other eggs in their basket, do they? It's just DB, right? All I want is a bunch of new maps, I mean everything prior to Dome was some of the best multiplayer level design I've ever seen and I want more of it. As for balance, SD clearly have no idea what they're doing so I could care less if they want to tweak spread/damage/falloff numbers for the rest of eternity, I just want some new maps damnit.

They have 2 maps in development. Dome is tough, because it is really good on a full server but till they put in real matchmaking you will get bad games on it. I would love more maps. Unlocked all the mercs this week due to the sale though and have gotten better at the game from playing so much so I've been enjoying the collectibility of the cards and all the events etc.

It isn't just a handful of loadout cards that changed, because they basically made a second edition of all the bronze cards. They have changes to augments basically removing the ones people rarely used. I tried out the phantom rework earlier too and it was pretty neat being able to sneak past enemies and disable their stuff in the process and clean out and area they are camping in. Some of the changes are based on what people want, and some are based on making a character fit in with a team better. They gave fletcher a rework so spamming his sticky bombs isn't as powerful, but if you stick a player it does more damage. It basically rewards people who are more skilled with it.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

BobMcFartsens posted:

FPS is a very cluttered market. CSGO is loving huge, OW is just around the corner. Those games you just go in and play, you don't have to worry about the P2W stuff like buying cards to actually play the class/loadout you want. Those games aren't beta either.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

pisshead posted:

FPS is a very cluttered market. CSGO is loving huge, OW is just around the corner. Those games you just go in and play, you don't have to worry about the P2W stuff like buying cards to actually play the class/loadout you want. Those games aren't beta either.

but you dont have to p2w in this game at all...and overwatch is 60 dollars which is crazy to me.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's forty unless you really like limited-edition cosmetics.

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

I was out of town during the free weekend for OW, now it's really hard to justify spend 40$ on a game i've never played...It does look exactly up my alley though.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

BraveUlysses posted:

but you dont have to p2w in this game at all...and overwatch is 60 dollars which is crazy to me.

Gen 1 wasn't p2w, you're right. It was more "pay to be optimal faster".

Speaking of, anything worthwhile pop up in the past few months? I stopped before the Aimee update.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I *just* tried this thing thanks to the steam advert in rotation and almost got to see what the map looked like out of spawn once in-between headshots. Are you seriously pretending players are this good or is it just aimbots and wallhacks all the way down? I'm willing to believe there are some next-level players who are terrifying to play against, but they weren't all of them in the same match against me on my very first try, were they? We were in a trainyard. Was there a train? I'll never know!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
A lot of players are really drat good now, but I doubt there are whole teams playing on smurf accounts. Make sure you're joining level <5 servers while you learn the ropes. You probably jumped into a non-level restricted server with high ranking players.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Merrill Grinch posted:

I *just* tried this thing thanks to the steam advert in rotation and almost got to see what the map looked like out of spawn once in-between headshots. Are you seriously pretending players are this good or is it just aimbots and wallhacks all the way down? I'm willing to believe there are some next-level players who are terrifying to play against, but they weren't all of them in the same match against me on my very first try, were they? We were in a trainyard. Was there a train? I'll never know!

Trainyard is a pretty brutal map for a first timer, it's got huge sightlines so you really need to know the angles to not get hosed up on approach. Like treat said, stick to Max Level 5 servers while you get your feet under you.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

isndl posted:

Trainyard is a pretty brutal map for a first timer, it's got huge sightlines so you really need to know the angles to not get hosed up on approach. Like treat said, stick to Max Level 5 servers while you get your feet under you.

Yeah I honestly think they need to do something to block that area where the snipers hide in the bushes and you can't even see them. Some games there will be a sniper there and then one on the left and/or right behind those partitions and it can really put a strangle hold on a match if they are both good.

I don't know why, but this weekend I was on matches with people that were level 1-3, and I thought originally the lower level people were locked out of any servers that 5+ are level are playing on. I had one where I am like level 26 and the rest of the team was under 10, but I tried to coach them and gave them an attack strategy before the round started and we ended up winning pretty hard. I also noticed in my playing that if you play early morning on during the week you will get a different crowd. When weekends or holidays come a lot of try-hards jump on, especially with an event going on.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I don't think that sniper spot on Trainyard is that bad really, you have enough time after spawning to get across the river before your spawn invulnerability ends and he has no useful sightlines from there otherwise. If a sniper sticks around there consistently that means he's being fed kills or he's otherwise useless. I always found it better to be up on the tracks as Vassili, but I'm also an atypical sniper who gets into CQC a lot so I may be biased.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
a chinese chicken meat company bought splash damage

the new execution map, gallery, has also been released

Fushigi Yuugi fansub fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 11, 2016

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Nauta posted:

I was a little confused - Sumpo changed their name to Leyou. So Splash Damage and DE (Warframe Devs) are now both owned by them.

I know Warframe actually had a chinese release as well, does Dirty Bomb?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Nauta posted:

The worst part of that story is the Amazon ad that recommends I buy Brink 😞

isndl
May 2, 2012

boo_radley posted:

The worst part of that story is the Amazon ad that recommends I buy Brink 😞

Brink is sorta nice for a romp if you can get it cheap. The AI bots are passable and there's some interesting level design to explore, particularly if you try to take advantage of the parkour system. It's too bad they couldn't iron out the issues before launch.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Nauta posted:

Chickencheese trinkets when

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

widespread posted:

Chickencheese trinkets when

I don't think this had anything to do with the buy out, but this release there was a chicken restaurant added to one of the maps and they have a trinket

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Anyone still playing? The MOFO update looks promising.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Popelmon posted:

I just started back up. Bouncing between bf1 and this now. Overwatch's lack of gun play made me lose interest.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I want to get back in but I'm stuck with a garbo laptop that barely handles minesweeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Popelmon posted:

I played a few rounds and it felt OK. Still a fun game. I need to play a few more of the maps to get a feel for the changes. Theres some good tweaks to the map flows they put in, but I want new maps or game types and the true matchmaking.

I already have every single merc, and banked a bunch of in game credits so there isn't a lot of stuff left for me to climb the ladder for. They hinted in a new video to another Christmas event.

• Locked thread