Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Most of the Brink ideas in Dirty Bomb are implemented much better, and the ones that aren't just aren't in the game period.

If you wanted to like Brink but felt disappointed by it you'll like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

But what if it is pay 2 win you guise.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Segmentation Fault posted:

Most of the Brink ideas in Dirty Bomb are implemented much better, and the ones that aren't just aren't in the game period.

If you wanted to like Brink but felt disappointed by it you'll like this

I really liked Brink and this is filling the void nicely. The only thing I miss is the id engine. Its kind of hard to put my finger on it I just liked how things looked and felt in Brink a little more than Dirty Bomb.

Edit: Seriously though I haven't enjoyed a team shooter this much in awhile. I forgot how much I love the old ET gameplay. I also full heartedly recommend Nader. Its such a fun character and the troll death grenade ability never stops making me laugh.

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 17, 2015

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Thanks for the link. Fragger was the only one I was really considering buying with my earned credits and now I can spend it on a engineer character. (Just have no idea if I want Roxy/Bushwacker/Flecher now)

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
You should hold onto your credits until we can see just how bad the Bushwhacker nerf in this week's patch is. Right now the other engineers don't hold up to bush at all.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Nah proxy is great fun, ambush mines are really powerful, especially coupled with her fast movement speed :getin:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
God help me I'm tempted to get the Starter Back if it drops to 50% off during the Steam Sale. Get Proxy/Sawbone along with enough credits to buy a extra merc.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
I'm pretty sure a F2P game has never been a featured sale so 25% off is almost guaranteed to be as good as it gets.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Reminder that if you have some of the classes you get from the starter pack, and buy the starter pack, you can get the credits refunded for those.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Warframe packs has been 50% but this game is kinda new.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Nalesh posted:

Reminder that if you have some of the classes you get from the starter pack, and buy the starter pack, you can get the credits refunded for those.
How does that work? Do you have to contact support or is it automatic?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

dy. posted:

How does that work? Do you have to contact support or is it automatic?

Contact nexon support. They'll refund you.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
This month is going to be loving awful, I can tell already. Nothing but snipers and sentry guns, as far as the eye can see.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
My real concern is Rhino. I’m not sure if I have just run up against really good players but I feel as soon as I run into a Rhino our team just gets demolished. Couple with a good medic and he can feel unstoppable.
Someone mentioned Nader, is she the best “counter” to him?

Edit: I’m sad that there will be so many snipers but only because I won’t get to play as him. I’m not great at sniping so I like to play with a decent team of other classes so I don’t feel so useless and can practice. But if we already have 3 snipers I am dooming my team further by becoming the fourth.

Robiben fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 17, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Rhino's weakness is long range. His minigun's useless outside of chokes. Keep your distance.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

My issue is less about what i'm fighting, and more that my supposedly attacking team is covered in sentries and snipers hiding in spawn.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

My issue is less about what i'm fighting, and more that my supposedly attacking team is covered in sentries and snipers hiding in spawn.

Yeah, that is mainly do to an stupid decision to put a Sniper and a Turret guy on the free rotation at the same time.

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

There was an update scheduled for today, but it was delayed due to critical bugs. it may still hit tomorrow or saturday, though.

InterFaced posted:

I really liked Brink and this is filling the void nicely. The only thing I miss is the id engine. Its kind of hard to put my finger on it I just liked how things looked and felt in Brink a little more than Dirty Bomb.

the thing I dislike is how obvious it was that the engine they chose was a great idea during the kickstarter phase, but because they held the game back from release for so long - years - the engine is outright dated in 'open beta'. it's going to stay a main drag for DB for the game's entire commercial lifespan.

quote:

I also full heartedly recommend Nader. Its such a fun character and the troll death grenade ability never stops making me laugh.

There's word out from among devs about "buffing" nader, and based off of the devs own words ie previous nader "buffs", this actually means reworking abilities blindly at random in a way which makes the experienced player start over and relearn the merc. This would be the third time since nader was put onto the store roughly a month ago! expect martyrdom to change, it might even become some kind of non-lethal debuff tool.

Nader is definitely the focus of a high degree of scrutiny amongst the playerbase, in spite of limited competitive play. (and when she is run, she is not run in a novel or effective way beyond spamming a few rounds and then switching classes to fragger/vasili, which is probably because of the constant changes - tweaks to the projectile trajectory and fuse timer.)

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 18, 2015

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

I'm having a blast with this game. I knew it existed, but I just found out it was Splash Damage and I was like "oh I'm gonna play the poo poo out of that". I find it hilarious that, just like BRINK and ET:QW, for some incomprehensible reason, everyone seems to just abandon the server after every match. Even a good, well-fought 8v8 by both teams usually ends with only 5 people left in the server.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Half the time it's because they got a box and you gotta see what's in the box right away!

The other reason is that they get mad at their team and want a better one.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

AceSnyp3r posted:

I'm having a blast with this game. I knew it existed, but I just found out it was Splash Damage and I was like "oh I'm gonna play the poo poo out of that". I find it hilarious that, just like BRINK and ET:QW, for some incomprehensible reason, everyone seems to just abandon the server after every match. Even a good, well-fought 8v8 by both teams usually ends with only 5 people left in the server.

People don't want a good well-fought 8v8.

They want to be on a team that stomps.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Stomps are boring as gently caress, especially if you get defense first.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Fans posted:

Stomps are boring as gently caress, especially if you get defense first.

Pubbies wanting easy wins and not caring about good matches is not something that is unique to Dirty Bomb tho

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Though that does remind me, has anybody had problems with the timer for dropping out of Comp matches when one or more of your teammates has quit? If it's 4v5 I'll usually at least try to keep playing but there have been a couple of 3v5 or 2v5 and when I try to leave after the point when the game tells you "you can now leave without a penalty" I still get a short ban from trying to join another comp game. It's usually only like a couple minutes but I was under the assumption I wouldn't get penalized at all

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
Welp, already encountered one blatant hacker and a few others that were quite suspect.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

GNU Order posted:

Though that does remind me, has anybody had problems with the timer for dropping out of Comp matches when one or more of your teammates has quit? If it's 4v5 I'll usually at least try to keep playing but there have been a couple of 3v5 or 2v5 and when I try to leave after the point when the game tells you "you can now leave without a penalty" I still get a short ban from trying to join another comp game. It's usually only like a couple minutes but I was under the assumption I wouldn't get penalized at all

The 2.5min ban is always from either not accepting a match or not connecting to the lobby after everyone accepts. If you're getting it from leaving freeleave games that means it's bugging out somehow. I've left over a dozen games that ended up as freeleave and I've never had issues getting a new game afterwards.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Tequila posted:

Welp, already encountered one blatant hacker and a few others that were quite suspect.

I played a match against 3 snipers that would headshot you the moment you came around the corner, I just quit the match and joined another server.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I jumped on 3 consecutive servers last night where one team had the spawn of the other completely locked down. I've had fun up to that point but it was almost enough to convince me to uninstall.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

treat posted:

I jumped on 3 consecutive servers last night where one team had the spawn of the other completely locked down. I've had fun up to that point but it was almost enough to convince me to uninstall.

They really need to force shuffle between rounds on the quick join servers.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Auto-shuffle exists but the problem is everyone leaves between games so it doesn't do anything 95% of the time. The main cause of imbalance is that the people who have been playing this game since closed beta outclass the new players so hard that if one team has even 1 veteran player he can carry his entire team to victory.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Nice little promotion going off in about half a hour from now until tomorrow, alongside the Daily mission rewards now being doubled in the patch notes.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Ahhh those cheap bastards, the developers added in some merc packs but didn't add it to Steam (at least not yet) so it can't be on sale right now.

quote:

New Bundles on Sale
We're introducing three new Merc Bundles for you to help you fill out your Squad for a hefty discount! Check them out below and find all three of them in the Shop under the Bundles section!

Please note: You will be able to purchase a bundle even if you have any or all of the Mercs within the bundle already unlocked. Be careful, and please spend your money wisely.

Explosives Bundle
The Explosives Bundle is here, featuring three Mercs highly skilled at blowing anything and everything into orbit! Containing unlocks for Fletcher, Fragger, Nader and two Elite Cases thrown in to boot, this bundle has a value of $40, but will only set you back $19.99 USD (or local equivalent)!

Deployable Bundle
Say hello to the Deployable Bundle, which is all about our Mercs that bring their own fun to the party! Featuring Bushwhacker, Proxy and Sawbonez, along with a pair of Elite Cases, you'll be able to grab this $32 bundle for only $15.99 USD (or local equivalent)!

Sharpshooter Bundle
And finally, here's the Sharpshooter bundle, with three Mercs who are all about picking their shots just right. With Arty, Kira, Vasilli and two Elite Cases as well, this bundle has a value of $32, but can be purchased for only $15.99 USD (or local equivalent)!

Looks like help deal with experienced players crushing newbie the developers have added min level servers

quote:

Minimum Level Servers
We have now introduced minimum level servers, which means you can now more consistently play against enemies of a similar level to you. You can find these servers by using the browser, or by using 'Quick Join', as it will prioritise you to join those servers first.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

All of the bundles are 50% off in the game.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Played again and liking it a lot more than beta. Still not convinced about the quality of the level design and the amount of time you can spend waiting to respawn.

My main gripe is the loadout card system. It sucks to have something so restrictive about your options, 2/3 of them are repeats with different perks and all the cosmetic changes are garish camo. If you ever buy a merc then you still have to pay a third/half their cost for a single loadout card which takes the piss if you used real money seeing how most of them cost $10.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 18, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
When do you get the free elite pack? Because I haven't got poo poo and neither did my friend.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
They postponed it 'cause it caused an error or something.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Carecat posted:

Played again and liking it a lot more than beta. Still not convinced about the quality of the level design and the amount of time you can spend waiting to respawn.

It's up to you to have the situational awareness to avoid getting long spawned. You need to keep an eye on the spawn timer and fall back/suicide if things are looking grim right before a wave. Getting staggered spawns is the easiest way to lose a match and timing your pushes/flanks/grenades to give the people you kill full spawn is the easiest way to win one.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I don't mind the loadout sets too much because in theory it lets them balance things tighter than if they let you pick whatever guns/perks you want. Splatoon does something similar and it works great there too.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

I don't mind the loadout sets too much because in theory it lets them balance things tighter than if they let you pick whatever guns/perks you want. Splatoon does something similar and it works great there too.

Problem is the odds, regular packs have a 3% chance of having 3 skills. So people who spend money on elites have a much higher chance of having characters that are literally better then yours with no downside, maybe if they had some combine leads for something better system but at the moment its skirting some P2W lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

socialsecurity posted:

maybe if they had some combine leads for something better system but at the moment its skirting some P2W lines.

I'm pretty new (been playing since Sunday?) but they literally have this. You combine three cards of your choice of a given material (ie lead) and trade 3 of them for a RANDOM iron card, albeit for the character of your choosing.

3% is otherwise pretty low, though true. Strictly speaking, your actual chance on a 1000credit case of 3 skills is 3+1.5+0.4+0.1% (5%).

Fayk fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 19, 2015

• Locked thread