Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ultrafilter posted:

One of Gau's rages can inflict Charm on Kefka, which causes him to beat himself to death. I believe it's 100% reliable.

It always works if it hits (it has an unchangable 80% hit rate - since it's not a real status, nothing has resistance to it). It also never wears off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Part 2 - Dodgeserker

I have nothing else to spend money on besides Potions, so I spend all my money on Potions.

The enemies here are too easy to kill. Zerky! needs challenge.

Challenge that comes from enemies who won't attack him because they're scared of penises.

As you may guess, this is a nice place to grind if you're inclined.

I end up hitting level 7 after two or three battles here on average. I say on average because the boss fight here is a pain for solo runs.

code:
Karlabos (Heavy)
HP: 650
Weak to Bolt.
Vulnerable to Stop, Slow.

AI Script:
{Fight,Specialty,Specialty}
{Fight,Tailscrew,Specialty}
{Fight,Tailscrew,Specialty}
Karlabos is a pain. It has three attacks, two of which are nasty. First off, its regular attack, which you generally want to see because it's pretty weak and does nothing else.

Feeler is its special attack, and it's a regular attack that inflicts paralysis. This is bad because it means less attacks for Zerky! to execute, especially since his speed is already poor.

Finally, Tail Screw reduces Zerky! to single-digit HP, which means the next attack will kill him. Best you can hope for in this situation is to block an attack with a shield and repeated Tail Screws, but more likely you'll die.

At L7, this is Zerky!'s damage output. He needs 7-8 attacks to kill Karlabos. This isn't going to cut it.

There's a lot of luck involved in pretty much any solo run, though at least other jobs can heal. Zerky! doesn't have that luxury because he's dumb.

For the first several bosses, I decided on a strategy of "Try twice without passives, then go with passives." After two failures, I try out Artful Dodger.

Artful Dodger is the final Thief ability, and what it does is simple: It gives the user the agility of a Thief, which is tied for highest in the game. This is really nice for Zerky!, who has the lowest agility in the game (probably, too lazy to check).

Of course, the ATB is buggy and biased against Berserkers, so it still takes them a long time to actually execute their first attack.

Which kinda sucks when they can get paralyzed before that first attack. Artful Dodger isn't really useful because other abilities will contribute more damage than the couple extra turns Artful Dodger gives, especially since fights as a Berserker are pretty much always a burst rush, trying to kill the opponents before they kill you. You'd think more speed would help, but a Berserker's damage output is kind of crap due to being stuck with either weakish daggers or inaccurate and random axes.

Of course, the Chicken Knife would be a very big exception to this, especially since it's the one knife that actually factors agility for damage. But we'll get to that.

I try Barehanded, and really I probably should've just stuck to it since it's two attacks and thus makes the battle last half as long. This is a critical hit, by the way.

What ends up happening though is I swap between Artful Dodger and Shirahadori. The latter is from the Samurai class, and basically gives the user a straight 1/4 chance of dodging physical attacks on top of their usual evade. Useful for attacks like Feeler, though it's still useless against Tail Screw.

That said, it doesn't dodge as often as I'd like (which would be 100% of course). And Zerky!'s damage still sucks.

So I decide to level to 8. At level 8, Zerky! gets a damage boost due to the damage formula I'm sure half the thread's readers already have memorized if not tattooed on their arms.

This takes Zerky! to requiring only five hits to down Karlabos. Much more manageable.

But still definitely not easy.

Finally, some more attempts later, I finally down Karlabos. I get lucky as hell and dodge/block all Feelers and luck into him not Tail Screwing once. I really should have used Barehanded instead but I won so I don't care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRG92ec4TQs

FINAL LEVEL: 8
DEATHS: 16

For reference, Sulla beat him at L11.

The enemies here will wear you down, but luckily won't kill you unless you get really unlucky. You still have to heal between every encounter.

Also, there's no save point until the next cutscene so I'm scared shitless that I'll have to repeat Karlabos again if I make a wrong move. Fortunately I don't die.

PIRATE'S A GIRL

Everyone jokes about letting the map follow you but then you realize you'll be using a sub and you're screwed if you don't have the map.

Just wandering around here gets me to L12. Time for the next boss!

code:
Siren (Human, Heavy)
HP: 900
MP: 200
Vulnerable to Death, Stone, Poison, Blind, Old, Paralyze, Confuse, Berserk, Stop, Slow.

AI Script:
{Mute,Slow,Haste}
{Cure,Ice,Scan}
{Armor,Sleep,Bolt}
No Interrupt{
     Display Text: Changes to an Undead!
     Unhide Monster: Siren (2nd form)
     }
Slow, Armor/Protect, and to a lesser extent Sleep are bad because they prolong the battle. Haste is bad because Siren gets more attacks and can activate her form change faster. Mute/Silence and Bolt are non-issues, and her second phase is pretty much a freebie. Still requires a bit of luck, but even the bad spells aren't battle-ending like Karlabos.

I forgot to move up to the front row, so my damage is pathetic.

For the first fight, she goes for Silence/Blizzard/Sleep.

code:
Siren (Undead, Heavy)
HP: 900
Weak to Fire. Absorbs Poison.
Vulnerable to Death, Stone, Blind, Slow.

AI Script:
{Fight,Specialty,Fight}
{Fight,Specialty,Fight}
{Fight,Specialty,Specialty}
Unhide Monster: Siren (1st form)
After her first three rounds, she becomes undead. Her undead form sucks for Zerky! because she has a high-for-this-stage-of-the-game defense of 12 and starts hitting hard.

If this was the front row, this would hurt. At least it wakes up Zerky!.

All she does in this form is use physical attacks, though her special attack inflicts poison. Mainly an annoyance, but you don't want more damage adding up on you.

This is the last boss where I do the "two tries without abilities" thing. Might as well use what I've got.

Before that, here's the damage output from the front row. At least it puts a dent in undead Siren!

You know, before she grinds me into paste.

So, Barehanded? Yeah, quite an improvement. This is regular damage, not a critical.

I luck into a rather easy rotation of attacks, and then kill her with some nice damage before her undead form can even act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhTxMc-6LG0

FINAL LEVEL: 12
DEATHS: 2

Next town has bronze gear to make Zerky! live longer. Zerky! can use the Ice Rod with Equip Rods, but he's too dumb to break it.

Imagine this for every random battle in North Mountain.

I decide more damage would be useful against Forza, who only does physicals. Right now I'm trying to try different things and experiment to see what all works well.

GO ACTION PIRATE

code:
Magissa (Human)
HP: 650
MP: 200
Vulnerable to Poison, Blind, Silence, Stop, Slow.

AI Script:
Condition:V00=00 & HP < 300{
     No Interrupt{
          Display Text: Magisa:  Honey, a job for you!
          Unhide Monster: Forza
     No Interrupt{
          Change Target:Single Enemy, Not self
          Regen
          Set V00=01
          }
     }
{Fire,Ice,Bolt}
{Aero,Specialty,Drain}
She alternates between a weak L1 Black Magic spell and either a weak Aero, a weak physical attack, or a kinda-scary Drain.

Nothing Zerky! can't handle, of course. Then again, there's that script where she goes under 300HP...

code:
Forza (Human, Heavy)
HP: 850
Vulnerable to Poison, Blind, Old, Sleep, Paralyze, Confuse, Berserk, Silence, Stop, Slow.

AI Script:
{Fight,Specialty,Fight}

He does nothing but physical attacks, with his special attack being a physical attack that does 150% damage.

Counter fails to proc and Zerky! gets overwhelmed in damage.

So let's remedy this.

I proceed to crit both my attacks and kill Magissa in one attack. The fight lasts ten seconds. Yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKjmWypf7Sw

FINAL LEVEL: 13
DEATHS: 1

The Whip can proc paralysis, which is very handy in certain situations.

Obligatory "Lenna getting herself killed to save a dragon" screenshot.

Fun Fact: Equip Rods lets you equip staves, too. So Zerky! can use the Healing Staff. Of course, he probably won't want to, but still. Sadly, there's no Equip Bells so he can't use the Diamond Bell here.

The Ashura is the strongest weapon we'll have awhile, and it can crit. Yeah, it's a nice get.

Walze or whatever the hell it's called in this version sells our first axe. Most axes suck though, they're inaccurate and do randomish damage.

More defense is nice.

These prevent Blind, very handy for an upcoming dungeon.

I try to fight Shiva but decide it's not worth it so I just go to the next dungeon instead.

For this fight I use Shirahadori just because this next boss is a joke anyway for a heavily-armored character.

code:
Garula (Creature)
HP: 1200
Vulnerable to Death, Stone, Toad, Poison, Blind, Old, Paralyze, Confuse, Berserk, Mute, Stop, Slow.

AI Script:
Condition:Status:Self:Toad{
     Change Target:Self
     Toad
     }
Fight
Condition:HP < 800 & HP Damage{
     No Interrupt{
          Fight
          {Specialty,Fight,Nothing}
          }
     }
Garula only does physical attacks. Once he's under 800HP, he counters with a physical attack and a chance of either another regular attack or a physical attack that inflicts HP Leak. Also for some reason they programmed him to untoad himself if you've got a Blue Mage with Pond's Chorus.

Garula can be scary to characters with low defense. Berserkers can wear heavy armor though and Garula's attack is too low to bypass that.

Garula can do at max 9 damage to Zerky!. The most threatening thing is the HP Leak that still triggers from Garula's special attack.

Probably the easiest boss Zerky! will have to face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVzEbNxoDPE

FINAL LEVEL: 14
DEATHS: 0
:black101:

hi

Then a sea dragon swallows Zerky! and friends until it gets sick and vomits them out.

Next time, the difficulty ramps up a bit with Liquid Flame, Ifrit, and Byblos. I also get my first taste of the wrath of the RNG, though probably not what you expect!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I was going to ask what happened if you killed Magissa in one turn, if her below 300 HP script would still fire, but you answered that in the update.

I'm really curious to see one boss fight in particular, but we'll get there when we get there.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Berserker does indeed have the lowest agility at 15. The next highest is Summoner all the way up at 23. Poor 'zerkers. :(

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
What does that "heavy" tag mean for some of the bosses? Is that a flag for part of the standard JRPG Boss Protection Package(TM)?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It pretty much means they're immune to stuff like Gravity/Demi and Death Claw and certain instant death attacks. Also status effects wear off very quickly on Heavy enemies.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mega64 posted:

So I decide to level to 8. At level 8, Zerky! gets a damage boost due to the damage formula I'm sure half the thread's readers already have memorized if not tattooed on their arms.

How the hell did you see my arm? t:mad:

Pieuvre posted:

What does that "heavy" tag mean for some of the bosses? Is that a flag for part of the standard JRPG Boss Protection Package(TM)?

More or less, yeah. Note that it's a Protection Package that you can buy into if you know the guy with the right drugs. :ssh:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Zerky! needs no drugs, only hugs... with bear arms.

sandbear

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks guys!

I love FF5 threads, I've only played through the game once (legit, flailingly, years ago) so I'm always interested in seeing the ways that pros can take it apart.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mega64 posted:

It pretty much means they're immune to stuff like Gravity/Demi and Death Claw and certain instant death attacks. Also status effects wear off very quickly on Heavy enemies.

So it basically means "boss"?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nope. A large number of bosses are not heavy, which makes certain party configurations pretty ridiculous.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mega64 posted:

I decide more damage would be useful against Forza, who only does physicals. Right now I'm trying to try different things and experiment to see what all works well.

He does nothing but physical attacks, with his special attack being a physical attack that does 150% damage.

Counter fails to proc and Zerky! gets overwhelmed in damage.

I'm fairly certain that Counter doesn't even work with Berserkers; at the very least, I can't ever recall having seen a Berserker with it immediately retaliate when attacked. My hypothesis is that the ability gives the character it's set on a React script to retaliate with a physical attack when it takes damage from a physical attack, but Berserk status prevents React scripts from triggering, so nothing happens.

But I have no idea how to do that thing where you check the game's memory values while it's playing to confirm it, so I dunno.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Leavemywife posted:

I was going to ask what happened if you killed Magissa in one turn, if her below 300 HP script would still fire, but you answered that in the update.

I'm really curious to see one boss fight in particular, but we'll get there when we get there.

I have a nasty habit of overleveling to absurd levels in this game, like to the point that as soon as I get a new set of jobs my first priority is to master ALL of them. So it took til like my fifth playthrough to ever even see Forza. Because I'd kill Magissa before she could summon him.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm fairly certain that Counter doesn't even work with Berserkers; at the very least, I can't ever recall having seen a Berserker with it immediately retaliate when attacked. My hypothesis is that the ability gives the character it's set on a React script to retaliate with a physical attack when it takes damage from a physical attack, but Berserk status prevents React scripts from triggering, so nothing happens.

But I have no idea how to do that thing where you check the game's memory values while it's playing to confirm it, so I dunno.

I can't speak for memory watching or disassemblies, but I can attest due to way more experience with Berserkers than anyone has any right to that Counter does indeed not trigger on a Berserker any time after their first turn.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mega64 posted:

In particular, this is what Heavy gives immunity to:
  • Attacks that damage based on a percentage of Current HP (Gravity/Demi, etc)
  • Attacks that inflict the 'Weak' status (things like Tail Screw, that reduce a character's HP to single digits)
  • Condemn/Countdown/whatever you want to call that death timer thing.
  • Most (but not all) Instant Death attacks. In particular, Instant Death attacks have four "types": Kill (eg the Black Magic "Death", acts as a full heal on undead enemies), Cleave (!Iainuki, Odin's instant death summon), Erase (Circle, X-Zone), and "Set status: KO". Heavy blocks the first 3, and the fourth isn't generally available to the player, being mostly used in generalized reaction scripts (such as when you use a Gold Needle on a stone enemy or inflict Petrify on a non-stone enemy) and self-targeting skills (Self-Destruct, Pep Up).

This is what Heavy doesn't give immunity to:
  • Attacks that damage based on a percentage of Maximum HP (Thunder, Flame, Breath Wing)
  • Any status effects not listed above. However, Heavy targets will clear bad status significantly faster than non-heavy targets, meaning that monster is going to break out of Silence or Stop a lot faster.
  • Getting punched in the face :black101:
  • L5 Death, if the target has a level divisible by 5

ultrafilter posted:

Nope. A large number of bosses are not heavy, which makes certain party configurations pretty ridiculous.

There's also a pretty decent number of normal enemies flagged as Heavy, especially in late World 2 and World 3. In particular, a lot of things dragon-shaped and most things golem-shaped are Heavy.

Also, this is the only way to run the game where your biggest threat is going to be an unusually Heavy Hole. :v:

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 11, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Does Heavy block Level 5 Death?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ultrafilter posted:

Does Heavy block Level 5 Death?

It does not, but it still counts as a "Kill"-type move for the purposes of calculation, meaning it'll fully heal undead enemies. That's why I had to go all edit-happy there.

Level 5 Death will hit anything that is a level divisible by 5, heavy or not. It's just that you can't get to that point easily without fiddly Chemist (and/or Dark Shock) shenanigans.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Out of curiosity, what is the "best" class in the game? I don't know how you'd define that, exactly, but I'm curious.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Chemist

EDIT: Oh, you didn't mean in real life...

still is true tho.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, Chemist can do a lot of things that other jobs just don't have access to, like making themselves/their allies Heavy. etc.

E: If you want bonus content, Mega64, I wouldn't be opposed to doing a solo Chemist LP along side. :yayclod:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 11, 2015

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Out of curiosity, what is the "best" class in the game? I don't know how you'd define that, exactly, but I'm curious.

Chemist. Chemist, however, requires looking things up and patience. I consider Samurai next best after that, with an honorable mention to Summoner (the midgame stretch after Titan but before Syldra sucks. Hard).

Every single other class either misses its good stuff until lategame (Blue and White Mages) or needs party support to actually function (Bards).

For what its worth, I define best class as "complete offensive and defensive domination". Kill everything without fail, be unkillable. The closer to that ideal the better. Chemist obviously qualifies, with the ability to gain immunity to basically every kind of attack, and for anything pure damage it can give double HP and Protect/Shell. For attacking you've loads of options, including Drain but at five times the power. Trouble is, you need a chart handy to actually look all those things up, getting some materials can be a pain, and you're not winning quickly this way.

Samurai comes next closest to my ideal. Evasion isn't as good as immunity, but no other class can dodge Vaccuum Waves half the time without needing to cast Image, and the Aegis Shield's magic dodge is always a plus. !Zeninage starts winning fights from the moment you get it and if you don't feel like them, Katanas are an incredible offensive weapon, having the power of swords but backed up by criticals (remember, FFV criticals are double strength and ignore defense), while the Samurai itself gets heavy armor and HP to sustain basically everything.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Choco1980 posted:

I have a nasty habit of overleveling to absurd levels in this game, like to the point that as soon as I get a new set of jobs my first priority is to master ALL of them. So it took til like my fifth playthrough to ever even see Forza. Because I'd kill Magissa before she could summon him.

A party fortified with Monks will make short work of her at normal levels, too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leavemywife posted:

Clearly the best class in the game is the berserker! :black101:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You're a goddamn maniac. You know that right?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
So, which version of FFV is considered the best version? I played the PS1 port that came packaged with FFVI back in the day, but I don't know what other ports exist and if they are better. The Squaresoft PS1 ports were a little goofy, so I'm assuming the later ports are better. Should I track down the GBA one? I kind of want to hex-edit the poo poo out of it, so firing up my old PS2 to pop in the PS1 port isn't as preferable as... other means.

Also: keep up the good work, Mega64. You're doing God's work. Or Satan's. Or Odin's, or whatever. :black101:

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Railing Kill posted:

Also: keep up the good work, Mega64. You're doing God's work. Or Satan's. Or Odin's, or whatever. :black101:

Gilgamesh's!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

So, which version of FFV is considered the best version? I played the PS1 port that came packaged with FFVI back in the day, but I don't know what other ports exist and if they are better. The Squaresoft PS1 ports were a little goofy, so I'm assuming the later ports are better. Should I track down the GBA one? I kind of want to hex-edit the poo poo out of it, so firing up my old PS2 to pop in the PS1 port isn't as preferable as... other means.

The GBA version is the best. Careful if you're looking for a real cartridge, though; there are loads of bootleg/counterfeit ones. Barring that, iOS/Android is the same but with better, and somehow worse graphics.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 11, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

If you're looking to hex-edit, this guide for the GBA version will be very useful. It's what I used to get the codes needed to start with all jobs/abilities/dead party members.

Outside of hex-editing, best is either GBA or Mobile. Mobile has worse character sprites, better enemy sprites, auto-battle, touch-screen controls, and various bug fixes.

e:

Kyrosiris posted:

E: If you want bonus content, Mega64, I wouldn't be opposed to doing a solo Chemist LP along side. :yayclod:

Missed this earlier, that'd be great. It'd be nice to re-experience how nutso !Mix can be while waiting for Zerky! to not die to the 88th attempt on whatever boss I'm fighting.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 11, 2015

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
The closer you get to the Sand Worm the more incredibly excited I get :allears:

Flame guy should be "fun" too!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Missed this earlier, that'd be great. It'd be nice to re-experience how nutso !Mix can be while waiting for Zerky! to not die to the 88th attempt on whatever boss I'm fighting.

I guess I'll get to work cooking up (heh) posts for Walter tonight after work, then.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I just powered through OFS' run of the game, where he repeatedly expresses his hatred for Berserkers, so I guess this will be a nice counterpoint. It also kind of reminds of me of this equally crazy run.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Berserker SCC started after all of this, because technically this is when you get Besererker. Incidentally this is when bosses start violently making GBS threads over mashing attack dumbly.

Leavemywife posted:

People say Chemist because it makes every boss irrelevant. I say Summoner because it makes every random encounter and boss but Shinryu & Omega irrelevant.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Samurai aren't the best job, but they're a drat fine job

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

dis astranagant posted:

Berserkers can do that too :colbert:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Are you imitating Zatoichi here? Is that why they're all blind?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I dunno, I think it's better when done to the final boss.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Are you imitating Zatoichi here? Is that why they're all blind?

:coal:

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
I'd be interested in seeing an omni-Blue Mage run, if only for boss fight shenanigans.

E: With the stipulation that not all Blue Magic be unlocked at first - you'd have to learn them as usual.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jueg01 posted:

I'd be interested in seeing an omni-Blue Mage run, if only for boss fight shenanigans.

E: With the stipulation that not all Blue Magic be unlocked at first - you'd have to learn them as usual.

That's really not a stipulation. You get all the important ones in world 1 other than aeroga, l3 flare and mighty guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

That's really not a stipulation. You get all the important ones in world 1 other than aeroga, l3 flare and mighty guard.

And Level 2 Old, pretty sure.

• Locked thread