Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Is the performance in this game poo poo for anyone else? I run Tanks and Warships on basically max settings. This game gets 9 fps with everything on low. Makes trying to hit anything impossible when vehicles move so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Aesis posted:

Cry Engine 3 requires good system so it won't matter whether games are pre-release or not, unless his laptop gpu is high-end. tbh if you can run MechWarrior Online/Star Citizen fine on your computer then AW should be fine too (those two use Cry Engine 3 and kinda lovely optimized).

I run MWO just fine on this laptop with a GeForce 765M. But AW runs like dogshit on lowest settings, struggling between 10-15 FPS. I'm set to always use discrete graphics, unless this game for some reason is dumb enough to override that and force me to use integrated for some stupid Russian reason.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
So this thread: http://aw.my.com/en/forum/showthread.php?12765-How-To-Increase-FPS-Performance-in-Armored-Warfare actually helped me with my performance issues, by making me realize that the game was defaulting to integrated graphics and CPU physics. Made a couple of changes forcing it to use my actual nice graphics card and forced physics to GPU rendering, and my FPS shot up from 5-8 on average (game was wholly unplayable) to 40-ish.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Oh, and if anyone has a basic guide to controls, interface, etc. that would be awesome now that the game is actually playable for me. I can't figure out what stuff does.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
How do I play in platoons with goons? I guess that's ISLAM? I don't understand this ultra-cluttered Russian interface. I only seem to have the option to create one, not join.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Leinadi posted:

I've never played a game like this before and I'm finding it pretty fun. Just got in yesterday from the Angry Joe giveaways and enjoyed playing it last night.

One question though, how do I play vehicles like the LAV-(some number) correctly? I get that you're supposed to use your speed to scout but I'm having a hell of a time just staying alive. Is there a trick to it or?

Two ways to play it.

1) Scout, get all up in things, unload autocannon until you die. You probably will die if you charge in, but you'll help spot the enemy, and your autocannon can tear them up at this tech level.
2) Hang back and snipe. try to burst fire, but even at high levels of reticule bloom you'll probably hit with at least half your shots. Empty your magazine, then pull back and reposition when you reload. This works surprisingly well, especially when you get past the stock ammo, as the PT-76 and Scorpion can still be penned, even at difference and won't ricochet much. If you do this, try to position yourself on the flank of a team fight so you'll get side shots, especially if it keeps you out of visibility and puts you in position to punish anyone who charges forward.

It's totally counter-intuitive that it should work, but with 2) on that map with the weird pipeline/city thing in the middle, I regularly get 4-5 kills and rarely take more than 25% damage.

• Locked thread