Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Android users can't post threads from their app if this matters to you

And they get to wait like three months for their OS to update and break their phone, unlike the iPhone users whose phone breaks the day the patch comes out

I don't browse SA when I'm out with my phone lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

etalian posted:

It's good buying a android phone if you want to look poor.

why would I disguise what i am?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Phone wars, the grownups alternative to the Console wars of the 90's.

I'm going to guess it goes like this:

Android = Genesis
IOS = Super NES
Windows Phone = Turbografx
Blackberry = Tiger Handhelds

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
There are some nice android phones out there. But I'm still gonna think you're using a free government lifeline flip phone when you come at me with green text bubbles on my iPhone.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Laslow posted:

There are some nice android phones out there. But I'm still gonna think you're using a free government lifeline flip phone when you come at me with green text bubbles on my iPhone.

i am poor. what of it?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Laslow posted:

And I'm still going to wonder if you were deprived of oxygen at birth when I see you using an iPhone.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

NofrikinfuN posted:

Phone wars, the grownups alternative to the Console wars of the 90's.

I'm going to guess it goes like this:

Android = Genesis
IOS = Super NES
Windows Phone = Turbografx
Blackberry = Tiger Handhelds

I have never eBayed for a Blackberry you fuckhead. <:mad:>

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Have you tried: a newer iphone?

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
How are androids for poor people when the flagship android phones cost exactly the same as the iphone?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Artificial Idiocy posted:

How are androids for poor people when the flagship android phones cost exactly the same as the iphone?

because Android has a low end, while iphone is for middle class/rich people.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

They aren't, it's just mindless zealotry from Appledrones.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
So the problem is that people view the top of the range Android-based phones as premiumised versions of cheap phones, rather than low-end Android-based phones as diffusion lines of the upper range phones?

Apple is viewed as premium only because they never sacrificed prestige for market optimisation by making a diffusion range. Hrm...it's almost as if... it's just uncritically accepting branding positionings that causes these views...

edit: oh wait they did make the iPhone 5c (c stands for cheap). I guess they know what they're doing because their market cap is higher than the GDP of Switzerland.

edit2: iPhone is not for rich people. Vertu is for rich people:

http://www.selfridges.com/en/vertu-aster-cognac-ostrich-skin-mobile-phone_871-10102-ASTERCOGNACOSTRICH/

Artificial Idiocy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 12, 2015

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

the problem is that the public has been brainwashed to believe that spending a lot on luxury items is a reflection of your worth as a person for the last few hundred years and goons, being what i call idiot nerdwannabies, are worse for this than the average Kardashian.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

opus111 posted:

the problem is that the public has been brainwashed to believe that spending a lot on luxury items is a reflection of your worth as a person for the last few hundred years and goons, being what i call idiot nerdwannabies, are worse for this than the average Kardashian.

deep

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001
get another iPhone, op

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

brizna posted:

get another iPhone, op

nah, its crap. i've had them since the iphone1 and I'm bored with the same bugs and issues never being addressed. I'm ready for android.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

get a windows phone srsly

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

android is buggy as poo poo

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

what windows phone would you recommend?

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

opus111 posted:

The problem is worse even than that. It's that today, people don't even understand what luxury brands/products are, because mass manufacturing drives quality down and availability up, so the only differences between most products within at least 2 standard deviations of the average price point is actually just the price. So people judge each other's and their own self worth not on how much they spend on luxury items, but on how much they are willing to spend on nearly exactly similar items.

Corporations know this, and put the same product in two different packages at two different price points (or more) to optimise their market share, preying on middle class paranoia about appearing poor and manipulating people to buy 'premium' branded versions of products which have no benefit or material quality advantages over the basic, own-label, or value range versions.

Real luxury items are far beyond the buying power or willingness of the middle class. Real luxury items actually tend to have intrinsic value, such as rare and expensive construction materials, greater labour investments through hand-made components and skill/expertise of the craftsperson, or the more artificial exclusivity of limited production. They are also usually made in developed nations with higher standards of living in which input costs are much higher, but production quality can also be controlled.

The only luxury item Apple has ever made is the gold iWatch which is idiotic for other reasons: Rolexes don't become obsolete, and many luxury items (other than consumables like perfume, fine tea, or to a lesser extent cars) actually last virtually forever which gives them additional intrinsic value.

One thing many pseudo-luxury seeking middle class aspirants fail to learn, because they tend not to acquire actual expert interest in the domain of a product they wish to purchase, is the price breaks of the category. Most categories of products have very distinct plateaus of quality, beyond which it takes a great deal more money to break to the next plateau. A $300 watch is virtually identical to a $30 watch, except that it says Michael Kors on it. It still has the same cheap motion, the same cheap steel, etc. To get an actually superior watch to a $30 watch, you likely have to pay at least $1000 or more. So price increases smoothly and linearly across brands and models as they fill market niches, but quality only increases in spurts or tiers.

So actually, your statement of the problem is accurate today, as long as the emphasis is on the "spending a lot" part rather than the "luxury items" part. This is a fundamental difference from the truth of the statement 100 years ago, when 'premium' products and 'luxury' products were less distinct (as at that point, premium products were still laboriously manufactured by experts in rich countries).

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

opus111 posted:

the windows 8.1 one

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

opus111 posted:

Either of the two should work OK for making calls.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

lumia 640 is probably your best bet right now

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

The problem is worse even than that. It's that today, people don't even understand what luxury brands/products are, because mass manufacturing drives quality down and availability up, so the only differences between most products within at least 2 standard deviations of the average price point is actually just the price. So people judge each other's and their own self worth not on how much they spend on luxury items, but on how much they are willing to spend on nearly exactly similar items.

Corporations know this, and put the same product in two different packages at two different price points (or more) to optimise their market share, preying on middle class paranoia about appearing poor and manipulating people to buy 'premium' branded versions of products which have no benefit or material quality advantages over the basic, own-label, or value range versions.

Real luxury items are far beyond the buying power or willingness of the middle class. Real luxury items actually tend to have intrinsic value, such as rare and expensive construction materials, greater labour investments through hand-made components and skill/expertise of the craftsperson, or the more artificial exclusivity of limited production. They are also usually made in developed nations with higher standards of living in which input costs are much higher, but production quality can also be controlled.

The only luxury item Apple has ever made is the gold iWatch which is idiotic for other reasons: Rolexes don't become obsolete, and many luxury items (other than consumables like perfume, fine tea, or to a lesser extent cars) actually last virtually forever which gives them additional intrinsic value.

One thing many pseudo-luxury seeking middle class aspirants fail to learn, because they tend not to acquire actual expert interest in the domain of a product they wish to purchase, is the price breaks of the category. Most categories of products have very distinct plateaus of quality, beyond which it takes a great deal more money to break to the next plateau. A $300 watch is virtually identical to a $30 watch, except that it says Michael Kors on it. It still has the same cheap motion, the same cheap steel, etc. To get an actually superior watch to a $30 watch, you likely have to pay at least $1000 or more. So price increases smoothly and linearly across brands and models as they fill market niches, but quality only increases in spurts or tiers.

So actually, your statement of the problem is accurate today, as long as the emphasis is on the "spending a lot" part rather than the "luxury items" part. This is a fundamental difference from the truth of the statement 100 years ago, when 'premium' products and 'luxury' products were less distinct (as at that point, premium products were still laboriously manufactured by experts in rich countries).

I always defined 'luxury item' as something you don't need to live a functional life, which could be anything from a smart phone to a yacht.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
That's fair, I wasn't trying to nitpick language - I just felt the marketing definition of luxury brands helps point out the ludicrous conceit at the heart of the middle class pretentious about premium brands (which only identifies those who fall prey to them as insecure followers with no personal identity).

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

opus111 posted:

I always defined 'luxury item' as something you don't need to live a functional life, which could be anything from a smart phone to a yacht.

there is a bit of a difference of scale there

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

lumia 640 is probably your best bet right now

this looks good - it apparently has decent battery life which ive missed. thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alex433999
Aug 16, 2014
Switch to linux and vlc

• Locked thread