Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I thought it was OK, although I'm not sure if I can deal with this conceit for five seasons - one or two, maybe, but five, eh.

Eagerly waiting for the following episodes: a. people around MC learn he's been chaperoning their private lives, tell him to gently caress off; b. something unequivocally good happens on the societal level without the slightest bit of the MC's involvement, MC's brain can't deal with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

adrenaline_junket posted:

Have been waiting for this thread to appear since I watched the pilot last week!

One word: Amazing!

I couldn't believe how fantastic the pilot was. I'm really hoping that it continues to live up to the hype. The attention to detail was intense, and its adherence to real life social engineering/hacking added to the immersion!

Loved the first episode. And this little detail in the subway walkway of side-by-side ads for E Corp and a movie:

Easier to read as the camera goes past

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 28, 2015

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Watched the first episode and thought it was cool. I liked the realistic spin on hacking and just not being all "HACK THE GIBSON FUCKER HACK THE GIBSON!"

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Absolutely loved the pilot, it felt so confident in how every second was spent that I just let it lead me where it wanted. Sure, certain things were obvious, but it isn't coming off like it was trying to deceive you, but instead like it is simply very deliberate in its motions.

Also for what it's worth, the MC's life doesn't seem horribly out of touch to me. I've met people not dissimilar to him(albeit I don't know that they're vigilante hackers at night) in life, where they have a good job where they're appreciated, close friends who care about them, and are attractive enough to get sex whenever they want. They still have their insecurities, and I'm still not entirely unconvinced they don't come from tech/the internet.

Either way, hoping USA can keep episodes online reasonably, as I don't plan on staying in this hotel forever just to watch the show.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The pilot was quite good. I am definitely watching the following episodes.

What was most interesting about it, was the main character was in every scene; we follow this guy and perceive the reality of his world as he does. Which comes along with not knowing for sure when he is hallucinating or what (unless he or a next scene points it out explicitly), seeing ads and hearing references about evil corp.

The format is quite Dexter-like (I know Dexter was poo poo for quite a few seasons and ended on a false note, but it did have some unique elements about it) - and that CD case seemed like a direct callback to Dexter's blood slides (or any serial killer trophy cases in general). I can't remember if Dexter's pilot did that also (following only Dexter around and hearing his thoughts) or it included scenes without him. In any case they didn't keep it up for the rest of the episodes.

So, I kind of wonder if they will keep it up here.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So can I change the thread title, or is that a mod thing? It could use an update since the pilot is no longer on youtube and the show already premiered. I'm thinking a 'line of the episode' thing, which means as far as I'm concerned, there is only one option right now.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > MR. ROBOT - "I'm okay with it being awkward between us."

Or we could just say when the show airs and on what network. USA could use some advertising that isn't aggressive, vomit-down-your-throat garbage. Part of what makes Elliot endearing despite his many flaws is the fact that he doesn't aggressively shove his anti-society views down the throat of anyone within earshot, which is exactly what USA is doing. I mean, Jesus Christ, network. You're using social media to tell people who use social media that people who use social media are idiots. You, a pillar of society owned by a massive corporation, are trying to push anti-society rhetoric and claiming down with big business. Do you not see a problem here?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I sense you have strong views on this subject.

:tinfoil:

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Spergatory posted:

I mean, Jesus Christ, network. You're using social media to tell people who use social media that people who use social media are idiots. You, a pillar of society owned by a massive corporation, are trying to push anti-society rhetoric and claiming down with big business. Do you not see a problem here?

username/post combo

but really though I think it's all going to turn out that he's the real evil, so it's kinda moot

personally i'd rather watch him 'stick it to the man' though

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Perhaps I should've been clearer. The problem with the show's advertising at the moment is

A. It paints the show as a ridiculously one-note political screed when it's actually a character-driven psychological thriller, and

B. It necessarily comes off as weird and insincere, like when advertising companies attempt to co-opt memes in order to sell poo poo. They don't get the joke or why it's funny, they just sort of throw it at you and hope for the best. Elliot's political views work when they are a part of Elliot's subdued internal monologue, as a part of his character exemplifying his paranoia. They don't work so well when they are YELLING AT ME in ALL CAPS from a POSTER on the SUBWAY.

I'm just saying, USA is spending an awful lot of money to make their show look kind of bad.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

x66Shadow66x posted:

Wow I really enjoyed this. Anyone else get a rubicon vibe?

Also, I couldn’t help but notice there are 12 guys who run the world..

Oh man, I miss that show. Shame that got cut.

Spergatory posted:

You're using social media to tell people who use social media that people who use social media are idiots. You, a pillar of society owned by a massive corporation, are trying to push anti-society rhetoric and claiming down with big business. Do you not see a problem here?

Except it's not USA that's doing the writing? I get what you're saying, but I think it's as simple as them having the advertising right hand and the writing left hand do their own things. I like it that way.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Spergatory posted:

They don't work so well when they are YELLING AT ME in ALL CAPS from a POSTER on the SUBWAY.

Are we not supposed to think that Elliot is replacing the ads on the subway with what he thinks they actually say in his mind (ala Evil Corp replacing E-Corp everywhere in the first episode). It's like a reverse THEY LIVE for him.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wasn't that was pretty self explanatory??

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
He means the ads in the real world, not on the show.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Spergatory posted:

Perhaps I should've been clearer. The problem with the show's advertising at the moment is

A. It paints the show as a ridiculously one-note political screed when it's actually a character-driven psychological thriller, and

B. It necessarily comes off as weird and insincere, like when advertising companies attempt to co-opt memes in order to sell poo poo. They don't get the joke or why it's funny, they just sort of throw it at you and hope for the best. Elliot's political views work when they are a part of Elliot's subdued internal monologue, as a part of his character exemplifying his paranoia. They don't work so well when they are YELLING AT ME in ALL CAPS from a POSTER on the SUBWAY.

I'm just saying, USA is spending an awful lot of money to make their show look kind of bad.

I'm sure they're going to have their crack ads team do most of that as soon as they finish up their latest ad run for WWE Tough Enough.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Calling the big bad mega corporation "EvilCorp" is blatant almost to the point of parody and I hope it indicates that the show has some self-awareness. I wouldn't mind seeing an inversion of the angsty hacker trope although that probably aint gonna happen.

The realistic hacking is refreshing. Nobody who doesn't work in tech will give two shits though

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Spergatory posted:

So can I change the thread title, or is that a mod thing? It could use an update since the pilot is no longer on youtube and the show already premiered. I'm thinking a 'line of the episode' thing, which means as far as I'm concerned, there is only one option right now.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > MR. ROBOT - "I'm okay with it being awkward between us."

Or we could just say when the show airs and on what network. USA could use some advertising that isn't aggressive, vomit-down-your-throat garbage. Part of what makes Elliot endearing despite his many flaws is the fact that he doesn't aggressively shove his anti-society views down the throat of anyone within earshot, which is exactly what USA is doing. I mean, Jesus Christ, network. You're using social media to tell people who use social media that people who use social media are idiots. You, a pillar of society owned by a massive corporation, are trying to push anti-society rhetoric and claiming down with big business. Do you not see a problem here?

I think you should make a new thread for each episode. The thread should contain pictures and breakdowns of every character along with detailed plot points. Maybe some maps, too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Above Our Own posted:

Calling the big bad mega corporation "EvilCorp" is blatant almost to the point of parody and I hope it indicates that the show has some self-awareness. I wouldn't mind seeing an inversion of the angsty hacker trope although that probably aint gonna happen.

The realistic hacking is refreshing. Nobody who doesn't work in tech will give two shits though

Well, its not actually called Evil Corp, that's just what he calls it and mentally replaces every reference to it, which is why everyone else says it too.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
/\ I don't know if it's coincidence or a deliberate choice by the show but every time I see the tilted E Corp logo I "replace" it in my mind with this other evil one:

Above Our Own posted:

The inversion of the angsty hacker trope is Tyrell Wellick, senior VP Technology who started out exactly where Elliot is now.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 28, 2015

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

If you want to change the thread title just pm deadpool or OSG and they will chance it as soon as they are able.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Binary Logic posted:

/\ I don't know if it's coincidence or a deliberate choice by the show but every time I see the tilted E Corp logo I "replace" it in my mind with this other evil one:

Oh poo poo.

That's brilliant.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Binary Logic posted:

The inversion of the angsty hacker trope is Tyrell Wellick, senior VP Technology who started out exactly where Elliot is now.

It's very clearly deliberate and I'm surprised everyone didn't immediately get that.

To be honest the pilot didn't really grab me, I'm not really a fan of how unsubtle and cartoonishly evil "evil corp" is, that stupid logo being a big part of that. I get that a lot of it is due to a unreliable narrator, but the more I hear of his world view the more I question why I should give a poo poo about him. Also feel like the writing is really uneven especially when it comes to Mr. Robot himself, who has so far made some really tortured metaphors i.e. "you're in prison like my father who was a literal thief."

I dunno I probably give this a few more episodes, but it's really dependent on where they take the main character.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Caught the first episode on Saturday night by chance and really enjoyed it. I don't follow TV series much at all, however I'm interested in seeing where this goes. I don't know how to program, but I at least have general knowledge of how computers and the internet work and was interested in how true to real life the show actually is. The one thing that stood out to me as being unrealistic and used solely for tension-building was when all the servers were rebooting slowly toward the infected server and Elliott had to type his way to victory just in time.

I do like how they made a plot point of his internal monologue being directed at us being due to his mental instability and creation of us as something to talk at. Also, it's a nice touch that everyone around him is truly saying "E-Corp," but since everything is viewed from Elliot's perspective all we ever hear is "Evil-Corp." I'm still not sure if Mr. Robot is real or not, but at least some of the Suits aren't just in Elliot's imagination. Looking forward to what twists to Fight Club's plot are in store.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can't wait. What time does this air?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Can't wait. What time does this air?

Tomorrow night, 10/9

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

muscles like this? posted:

Tomorrow night, 10/9

I thought it was on Tuesdays.

Darn it.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
re: Evil Corp

I don't even think Evil Corp is actually a single massive company but rather, a name for every multinational company out there. Elliot sees that they're all connected by some form or other and so just groups them all as one big entity.

In the same way I don't think F Society is the name of the mysterious hacker group that Eliot sees. He just sees what they're doing and summarises it as 'gently caress society'.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nah, E Corp is supposed to be one big multinational conglomerate. They mention that the security firm he works for gets most of their business from them.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Kegslayer posted:

In the same way I don't think F Society is the name of the mysterious hacker group that Eliot sees. He just sees what they're doing and summarises it as 'gently caress society'.

This is actually pretty clever if they go with it. I hadn't considered it like this, I just assumed the 'F' in 'F Society' would be explained eventually. :downs:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I thought it was a reference to the "Fun Society" sign on the hacker's building at Coney Island. I may be misremembering, though "gently caress Society" fits just as well.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I dunno, I like the fact that F Society meets at the former "Fun Society" building, so I think it's a good real name for it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It'd be nice in a symmetrical way, of sorts. E Corp gets its name extended, while its nemezis - named by the following letter of the alphabet - gets its name manipulated in reverse way. I dig it.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Lichtenstein posted:

It'd be nice in a symmetrical way, of sorts. E Corp gets its name extended, while its nemezis - named by the following letter of the alphabet - gets its name manipulated in reverse way. I dig it.

E corp? F society? Season 2 antagonist will obviously be the G8.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He probably shouldn't be taking all these drugs when he's extremely mentally ill imo but it explains all the hallucinations

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
:siren: New episode tonight! :siren:

EPS.1.1_ONES-AND-ZER0ES.MPEG
Elliot is torn between accepting a job offer from Evil Corp and joining fsociety.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Nah, E Corp is supposed to be one big multinational conglomerate. They mention that the security firm he works for gets most of their business from them.

I think that's my point though. Elliot is crazy and we don't even know if half the characters he sees or talks to are even really there.

He's a completely unreliable narrator until we get that Fight Club moment at the end of the season/series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This VP guy looks like he's wearing a human suit.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Jose posted:

He probably shouldn't be taking all these drugs when he's extremely mentally ill imo but it explains all the hallucinations

I don't know man, drugs are pretty rad.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
So is it just me, or was that F Society video REALLY well done?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This is suffering pretty heavily from pilot-to-second-episode syndrome, not in terms of quality, but in terms of them obviously using different sets and everyone having different haircuts because this was filmed months later. :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"I'll tweet but only if I like it"

• Locked thread