Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

I've been watching this show one episode behind. Truely the mindscrew Mr. Robot experience.
As long as you aren't watching it backward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhn
May 28, 2004
Dog dick of anubis
The episode names can be/are probably meant to be confusing. Episode 9 is called eps1.8_m1rr0r1ng.qt – they started by calling the first one eps1.0_hellofriend.mov. Because starting with 0 is the only correct way to count (love the level of detail for computer nerds). Also a great way to confuse the downloaders of :filez:.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Any idea on the significance of the number 2 showing up frequently? Someone mentioned Elliot's phone is stuck at 22% and the second time he destroyed his rig he set the microwave to 2:22. Might not be anything major, but they seemingly did it on purpose.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Shoren posted:

Any idea on the significance of the number 2 showing up frequently? Someone mentioned Elliot's phone is stuck at 22% and the second time he destroyed his rig he set the microwave to 2:22. Might not be anything major, but they seemingly did it on purpose.

Given the attention to detail in this show, I'd say it's significant somehow. I don't know how though.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Shoren posted:

Duality and split personality?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think that Tyrell specifically is a reaction to the spate of ubermensch Galtian anti-heroes that we've seen so far in the "Golden Age" of television. These characters are only guided by their ambition and base desires but instead of being destroyed by them, they are triumphant throughout the series. Sometimes they get hosed in the end, some times they don't. Tyrell standing in front of that lady on the toilet is a straight up Don Draper move, where the sheer sexuality of his mere presence is enough to melt the resolve of the women. Tyrell's wife, rather than being a cipher or an antagonist, is actually the more shrewd and calculating member of the couple. It was interesting to see that type of character be totally frustrated and undone when typically that's the protagonist of most new "prestige" TV.

Contrast that with Elliot, who actually has a very strong moral compass. The first thing we see him do turn in a CP ring for no reward. Later on he refuses to blow up the natural gas plant because he's not willing to kill people to achieve his goals. He does some morally questionable things, but I think even then he genuinely thinks he's doing the right thing.

It will be very interesting to see the working dynamic between these two as members of fsociety, if that is intended to be a long term plotline going forward.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jose posted:

the first season hasn't finished yet so theres still time

It's already been renewed for a second season at least.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
In fact it was renewed before it even started airing. I think USA has a lot of confidence in this show, especially considering what it has managed to get away with already.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

muscles like this? posted:

It's already been renewed for a second season at least.

oh good, i'd not seen that. idk how good the ratings are and its really good

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Jose posted:

Ratings have been great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm going to presume he means Nielsen ratings, not iMDB ratings.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Jose posted:

Total viewership is about twice the actual number in the right hand column by the time DVR and other viewership is factored in. I'm not sure of averaging 3.1m-3.2m total viewers per episode is good for a USA show, but I hope so. I really like this show.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm going to presume he means Nielsen ratings, not iMDB ratings.
that's the - ahh

My favourite shot in the series comes from the pilot. Domo is walking down a subway station staring at the roof. And we see the roof from his POV move past - pretty patterns. I'll see if I can whip up a gif of it.

My favourite whoa of the series is when Domo is spinning out in e8. He looks into the camera and holds it, shaking it a little.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's the second highest rated show on USA.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Thanks for the information. I hope they stick with this show even if ratings wane in the future.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

CrushedWill posted:

Thanks for the information. I hope they stick with this show even if ratings wane in the future.

From interviews with Rami Malek (That grantland video podcast thing) sounds like the top brass is shopping the show around to other potential show runners and going like " this is what we want now".

Generally with that kind of backing plus the ratings we are seeing now it's probably going to let the whole story play out.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
"this is what we want now" could mean anything. Is USA really gonna abandon their old schtick and try to play in a big leagues with honest to goodness dramas?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
The critical acclaim is enough to keep it on USA. Ratings are irrelevant.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

TheAngryDrunk posted:

The critical acclaim is enough to keep it on USA. Ratings are irrelevant.

That is unfortunate. I'd rather the show go to a distribution channel that would allow it to pursue ANY chosen direction than to remain on a network serving up slop like Suits, Burn Notice, and that southern hick family with the big teeth.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's hilarious how bad of a rep USA has in terms of quality. The few friends who haven't heard of this show or haven't watched it yet always ask what channel and when I say USA there is either a groan or a "oh god" coming from them. It's insane that USA was able to get a show of this type of quality.

Also please no member of the cast go on Monday Night RAW, for the love of god please don't.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

It's not so much USA's fault as it is a transition period right now and they just hit a good show while doing so. USA's brand has existed for long enough that it's ingrained in the consciousness of most people who even casually browse TV that if you told them to watch Mr. Robot and said it was on USA they would laugh it off as a practical joke.

The show also hasn't hit critical mass yet to the point where people who only watch and only recommend shows in the zeitgeist to other people (Breaking Bad being a prime example of this) will shout from the rooftops to watch this show.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sober posted:

It's not so much USA's fault as it is a transition period right now and they just hit a good show while doing so. USA's brand has existed for long enough that it's ingrained in the consciousness of most people who even casually browse TV that if you told them to watch Mr. Robot and said it was on USA they would laugh it off as a practical joke.

The show also hasn't hit critical mass yet to the point where people who only watch and only recommend shows in the zeitgeist to other people (Breaking Bad being a prime example of this) will shout from the rooftops to watch this show.

Well, FWIW, I have been talking it up to about anyone that will listen...

Also, according to Dustin Hoffman (50 year career) -

"I think, right now, television is the best that it's ever been and I think that it's the worst that film has ever been – in the 50 years that I've been doing it, it's the worst," he said in an interview with The Independent.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Unless all your friends are as apt to start watching new shows and seeing where they go, I would assume they aren't that kind of early adopter. So they either wait for a recommendation or wait until it hits a critical mass and they jump onto the bandwagon.

People conflate a network's brand to the relative quality of their shows, because broadcast networks and cable networks have always cultivated their brand. This is a pretty sharp turn for USA that I wasn't quite sure how to process it, especially if you've had the image of USA Network as where you'd find shows like Suits, White Collar, Burn Notice, Monk, Psych.

Also while TV is good, they are also falling into the "adapt/reboot everything!" trap. But at least they don't all make them staring handsome white dudes at least on TV.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Also please no member of the cast go on Monday Night RAW, for the love of god please don't.

All the screens go to static and a faux-Anonymous video message with mask. As the lights go out, Rami Malek uses this time to present himself on stage, blurry-eyed and wearing a hoodie.

"Raw. Raw never changes."

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Recommending the show is hard because the premise doesn't sound like anything special and describing it in to much detail really takes away from the show if you haven't seen it yet. Telling people the show is about a shut in hacker who works as a tech by day and a vigilante hacker by night makes it sound like a really bad SyFy show.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sober posted:

Unless all your friends are as apt to start watching new shows and seeing where they go, I would assume they aren't that kind of early adopter. So they either wait for a recommendation or wait until it hits a critical mass and they jump onto the bandwagon.

People conflate a network's brand to the relative quality of their shows, because broadcast networks and cable networks have always cultivated their brand. This is a pretty sharp turn for USA that I wasn't quite sure how to process it, especially if you've had the image of USA Network as where you'd find shows like Suits, White Collar, Burn Notice, Monk, Psych.

Also while TV is good, they are also falling into the "adapt/reboot everything!" trap. But at least they don't all make them staring handsome white dudes at least on TV.

Well, I am lucky I have a decent rep for recommendations for shows and such. I have also been assiduously warning them not to just jump in, but have driven home how important it is they get caught up before watching any current-ish episodes.

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Recommending the show is hard because the premise doesn't sound like anything special and describing it in to much detail really takes away from the show if you haven't seen it yet. Telling people the show is about a shut in hacker who works as a tech by day and a vigilante hacker by night makes it sound like a really bad SyFy show.

I also push the concept of the unreliable narrator, and some of Elliott's issues, hard to make sure they understand how deep the rabbit hole goes...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Luckily there's going to be a billion offseason thinkpieces about "why Mr. Robot is the best show you're not watching" and it'll make a lot of top ten lists. I'm betting it has a lot more buzz going into season 2.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Also, according to Dustin Hoffman (50 year career) -

"I think, right now, television is the best that it's ever been and I think that it's the worst that film has ever been – in the 50 years that I've been doing it, it's the worst," he said in an interview with The Independent.
While IU don't think much of Hoffman's latest work, I think he is mostly correct. There are some fantastic and novel TV projects coming from premium and semi-premium cable/streaming outlets (True Detective S1, Peaky Blinders, Mr. Robot, Sense8) as well as network programming (can't help but mention I like Blacklist because of James Spader) but there is also a rush to reality programming that I completely detest. TV has the best *and* worst programming at the same time.

Sober posted:

I can't speak for others, but I am one who either waits until I hear from friends about a show (like Mr. Robot) or read about it someplace. I'm not network-loyal, and don't consume media material a night at a time.

Networks have been conscious of brand because they've traditionally been pidgeon-holed by viewers. I've always associated USA Network with programming my mother-in-law would like which is not a compliment. And they have never failed to deliver the slop per the shows you mention. But with the advent of DVRs and different programming delivery models, the network that hosts the show is becoming less relevant. At least until network execs start interfering with content.

I hope that USA leaves this train on auto-pilot, the minute they start to gently caress with it is the minute it becomes another one of the shows my mother-and-law will attempt to force me to watch while trying to digest a post-holiday meal. Bleh.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I tell people who I think will be skeptical about the show, I describe it as a well-acted, stylish corporate espionage thriller. By the time they realize it's about dual-booting your Android tablet into QNX, they've given it a chance.

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

Subjunctive posted:

When I tell people who I think will be skeptical about the show, I describe it as a well-acted, stylish corporate espionage thriller. By the time they realize it's about dual-booting your Android tablet into QNX, they've given it a chance.

I've got a couple friends who I have been trying to get to watch Mr. Robot (one is on these forums) and they just will not give it the first hour. I know if they watched the pilot, they would be hooked. So Thank You for this Subjunctive, this is a great way to describe it without scaring people off because it's about 'DURF HACK THE WORLD HACK THE GIBSON!'

but really guys hackers was a good movie

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

One of the great things about this show is that the tech is basically treated as another great character, and not something that every episode needs to turn on.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Subjunctive posted:

IMO a good hook with sci-fi fans is that it's cyberpunk, but set in the modern day.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Well, this is weird. Rami Malek plays a character in the new PS4 horror game Until Dawn, and apparently, Mr. Robot is actually the second time he's played a crazy person with an imaginary friend and a sister who sings Frere Jacques. Poor guy's already being typecast. :v:.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Periodiko posted:

IMO a good hook with sci-fi fans is that it's cyberpunk, but set in the modern day.

Yeah, sci-fi fans are probably more receptive, that's true.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Haters gonna hate. At least with USA shows like Burn Notice, Suits, and Graceland I know what I am getting with them and they are nice feel good show for an hour. I am totally fine with having a few shows in my watch roster that are just weekly "problem of the week while moving the main plot a little further". That being said suits is getting a bit ridiculous as of late.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Gordong Dongbay posted:

It's hilarious how bad of a rep USA has in terms of quality.

How dare you speak ill of the network that aired Silk Stalkings Fairly Legal La Femme Nikita Covert Affairs Night Flight Up All Night Necessary Roughness Psych and Burn Notice!

My wife would get mad if I didn't mention Monk (which was cute, I guess) and Royal Pains (which is TERRIBLE)

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 25, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The first few seasons of Dead Zone were pretty good too.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Holyshoot posted:

Haters gonna hate. At least with USA shows like Burn Notice, Suits, and Graceland I know what I am getting with them and they are nice feel good show for an hour. I am totally fine with having a few shows in my watch roster that are just weekly "problem of the week while moving the main plot a little further". That being said suits is getting a bit ridiculous as of late.

Early Burn Notice was pretty bad rear end. It was still good down the road, but it kind of got silly. The first few seasons were pretty intelligent and dark though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This show is going to survive on its Emmy takings at the very least.

On the topic of how the hell USA managed this, I'm pretty sure this was meant to be a direct answer to American Crime. I can't be certain about that though. Maybe it's purely coincidence, and the stars just happened to align for USA.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Early Burn Notice was pretty bad rear end. It was still good down the road, but it kind of got silly. The first few seasons were pretty intelligent and dark though.

Ya it got kind of bad when they got more and more off "help person of the week" but adding Jesse made it a bit better. His commentary was always awesome and he fit right in.

• Locked thread