Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Caught the first episode on Saturday night by chance and really enjoyed it. I don't follow TV series much at all, however I'm interested in seeing where this goes. I don't know how to program, but I at least have general knowledge of how computers and the internet work and was interested in how true to real life the show actually is. The one thing that stood out to me as being unrealistic and used solely for tension-building was when all the servers were rebooting slowly toward the infected server and Elliott had to type his way to victory just in time.

I do like how they made a plot point of his internal monologue being directed at us being due to his mental instability and creation of us as something to talk at. Also, it's a nice touch that everyone around him is truly saying "E-Corp," but since everything is viewed from Elliot's perspective all we ever hear is "Evil-Corp." I'm still not sure if Mr. Robot is real or not, but at least some of the Suits aren't just in Elliot's imagination. Looking forward to what twists to Fight Club's plot are in store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I thought it was a reference to the "Fun Society" sign on the hacker's building at Coney Island. I may be misremembering, though "gently caress Society" fits just as well.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

cochise posted:

I have a feeling the webcam hack has to do with that other group Mr. Robot mentioned to Elliot. He brought them in to help take down the Chinese side of the problem.

It definitely was. The "rapper" trying to push his "new album" was really just trying to distribute a CD with malicious software on it, hence the boyfriend complaining that the CD didn't work and his laptop just kept spitting it out. Afterward the "rapper" was the one typing in Chinese "We're in" presumably to the Dark Army group. If they're tackling the Chinese side of things then they're likely a Chinese hacker group. What exactly they're targeting Angela for (connections to Evil Corp through Allsafe?) is another matter.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Jose posted:

Trying to hack anyone at allsafe since he was standing outside the offices

:doh: I didn't even realize that was where that scene took place. Makes sense because it's unlikely the three of them would have ran into each other somewhere else in New York.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

evilmiera posted:

I'm not sure if its because they're all so subdued around the resident tyler durden, but are the hackers supposed to be just really boring and bland when compared to everyone else? Well, besides the resident craziest crazy girl. Like I'm not even sure why the crew is as big as it is?

If they spent this episode fully fleshing out each fsociety member then we wouldn't be able to complain about Elliot's withdrawal :v:

There are only four of them aside from Elliott and Mr. Robot, so I feel like that's a pretty good size for a group wanting to disrupt the biggest corporation in (presumably) the world. Darlene (crazy girl) has been building slowly since the start, we got to see more of the older guy's personality, the fat guy is your hacker stereotype, and the Muslim girl is interesting because of her participation in this despite her devout faith. It's still way early on so there's plenty of time to explain each one's usefulness to fsociety and why they're taking part.

What was particularly jarring to me was how Elliot took control of the plan and whenever anyone questioned it he was always standing by Mr. Robot, but they never complained directly to Mr. Robot. It's gonna be really weird if there isn't a Durden scenario going on.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

violetdragon posted:

Can you buy more paper towels.

This drives me crazy with work emails. If you're asking a question then use a question mark!

Anyway, finally caught up today after getting derailed around episode 5 and this show has been amazing. I was still on the fence regarding Ghost Dad's physical existence after the Romero and Tyrell-in-SUV conversations, but the reveal was still so good. I don't watch much TV and gave up on Breaking Bad after the first season because it didn't really grip me, but this show has its hooks in me no doubt. Rami Malek is absolutely killing it and I love every second of his delusions.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Any idea on the significance of the number 2 showing up frequently? Someone mentioned Elliot's phone is stuck at 22% and the second time he destroyed his rig he set the microwave to 2:22. Might not be anything major, but they seemingly did it on purpose.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

ultramiraculous posted:

Is it really Not Google? It seems to be, less-than-subtly, Not Enron, or maybe where Google hopes it ends up in the inevitable cyberpunk dystopia.

E-Corp is way too corporate to be Google. That is, too many suits, too many snobby executives, that sort of thing. Plus, E-Corp's logo is just a solid version of Enron's anyway. Wish they could have come up with a better name than "E-Corp" unless that's a short version so Elliot can conveniently transform it into "Evil-Corp."

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Yeah, well, y'know, USA can't run the risk of people getting upset that a show might show sensitive material. It's not like beating up a bum, gay sex, a gang member getting shot in the head, a girl with her throat slit, or sister kissing could possibly offend anyone.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

violetdragon posted:

It did kind of seem like that. Which makes every scene with Tyrell super confusing. Could Eliot be one of Tyrell's personalities? O.o

Tyrell can't be one of Elliot's personalities. If he was then his assistant would have reacted very differently to Elliot coming back to Evilcorp than "Who are you? I don't know where Tyrell is."

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

Why do they say people should be worried? Pretty loving sure having no debt and the possibility of it staying like that is awesome. Not something I would worry about.

Because the attack also severely screwed up the stock market, too. It wiped the slate clean for debt, but also wiped out a lot of investments in the stock market. Or at least that's my understanding. Everyone working at AllSafe lost their 401(k)'s, for example.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I think in the overall context of the series this finale will fit better as a set-up to season two than as a wrap-up to season one. I get the impression that Sam Esmail had the big picture in mind with this episode and didn't want to throw in a bunch of shocking plot twists just for the sake of it. Personally, I'm going to rewatch this season again before season two starts up not just as a refresher, but also to look for all the clues to Elliot's condition and his relationship to Darlene.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

ukle posted:

All that they would of had to do was execute the program on the Raspberry Pi that they had hidden, as white rose was activating the delete on the live data via the compromised server. It would hardly make for gripping TV just someone SSH'ing and running one command.

Running the meltdown commands wouldn't have been exciting, but doing some reaction shots at Evil Corp and Steel Mountain when people realize what's happening and start freaking out would have been interesting.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

So is this any good? I watched 15 minutes of the first episode and gave up after they started using ~cool hacker lingo~ in every other sentence.

Yes, and the ~cool hacker lingo~ makes the show far more true to real life than anything else portraying hackers. For most of us (even those that don't fully understand how the hacking works), that makes the show much more enthralling. There's way more to the show than hacking; the camerawork is great, the acting is often outstanding, and the soundtrack is excellent. Check it out, even if ~hacking~ isn't exactly your thing.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

We know Elliott has brain problems and is an unreliable narrator, but still we have no reason to believe anyone besides Mr. Robot is a figment of his imagination. In fact, there is too much evidence via character interactions that Gideon and Tyrell are real. If those two are only in Elliot's head then everyone is in Elliot's head because he's in a padded room imagining all of this.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Skizzzer posted:

Cool framing stuff

Another really good example of this is the conversation between Tyrell and the CTO after the dinner party. They're in a conference room with the CTO sitting down yet commanding his entire shot while Tyrell is in the distance for his shot, barely in frame. It does a great job of conveying the relative power between the two of them, that the CTO knows what Tyrell is up to, and pretty clearly indicates the beginning of Tyrell's fall. I need to track down some screen shots of this one.

e: vvvvv That's the one! I love how intentional yet subtle these shots are. Everything is shot so well.

Shoren fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 9, 2015

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

In case you didn't see the list elsewhere, Mr. Robot received two three Golden Globe nominations. Rami Malek was nominated for best actor in a TV series and Christian Slater was nominated best ghost dad supporting actor in a TV series. No idea if either have a chance of winning, but it's good to see the show get some recognition.

e: :doh: vvv

Shoren fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 12, 2015

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

I'd be interested in seeing if viewers who didn't see Ghost Dad coming somehow caught on to something being really off with Ethan's Sister (I have completely blanked on her name) that we all missed because we figured Ghost Dad was the (horribly telegraphed) twist.

Also what do you think of the politics now that you've finished the season?

Honestly, I was only clued in to Ghost Dad because of this thread, and I was still on the fence until the big reveal in the cemetery because of scenes like Slater and Tyrell in the SUV without Elliott. I think the reveal of Darlene being Elliot's sister is only telegraphed retroactively and new viewers wouldn't pick it up even if they weren't focused on Ghost Dad. All you ever really know is that Darlene is unnaturally friendly with Elliott (showing up in his apartment unannounced), but you can easily justify it as a quirk of her hacker character. It wouldn't be until she meets Angela that you'd really sense something is up and even then "Elliot's sister" isn't an easy conclusion to make.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

One thing that did annoy me about this episode was the corporate exec lady not realizing she's been hacked and blaming it on a malfunction with the smart home manufacturer. If it was just the alarm going off, that's one thing. All the poo poo together and the constantly-playing hacker news on the big screen? Uh.

I was actually expecting the smart home people to have gone out of business like they show with her fitbit thing.

E: Just rewatched and I guess she's not explicitly talking to the manufacturer on the phone, dunno why I assumed that. I'm mostly irked just that she acts so befuddled for so long as crap goes haywire.

Probably because she's not all that technically inclined and assumed it was just malfunctioning. Although we, as viewers, are pre-dispositioned to the core concept of hacking while watching this show, she, as a character, isn't. Since it was all a package deal and it was all going crazy I think most normal people would view it as the whole package going bottoms up.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Grinning Goblin posted:

It largely exists simply because it makes certain files harder to find for DMCA takedowns or just for the general public to find certain things. Like, StarWars.avi is easy enough to search for, but when people start calling it 57@rVV@r5.mkv or whatever permutation of dumb crap you have in there, it becomes somewhat more annoying to find.

So the show's writers are trying to make it harder for DMCA requests to get processed? It really doesn't stop people from pirating episodes when they're listed as "S01E07" anyhow.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

After Darlene left Trenton's place, Mobley referenced that saying that he didn't trust Elliot and that Elliot tried to pull a gun on Romero. I'd say there's a pretty good chance it was Mr. Robot who did it. It didn't look like there was a struggle so either it was someone Romero was acquainted enough with to talk to, or he was snuck up on.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I feel like Elliot being institutionalized is this season's "Mr. Robot is in Elliot's head" plot point. There are a lot of things pointing to it being the case. For instance, if Elliot finally gave in and got to a terminal, why did he decide to use Ray's? Probably would've been better to use a public terminal since he'd have to leave his home anyway. Furthermore, if he's breaking his routine like that, why only meet his friends only at his home if he's meeting Leon at the diner and the basketball court? I'm waiting for this season's Darlene moment that we're not expecting and will start to unravel it all.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

If Elliot moved back in with his mom then why haven't we seen him interact with her in any meaningful way? She's been established as outspoken and still talks negatively about his father, yet we haven't heard her say anything to Elliot, let alone something personal.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

WampaLord posted:

There's security cameras, though.

What if Ray's the head of security or something similar? Probably knows where there are blindspots, at least.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Licarn posted:

They were getting her to manually invoke the command with all the parameters. They could have created a shell script (or alias) with what she needed to type and just got her to run ./hack or whatever.

Granted if they had done it that way they'd have been (more?) screwed when they needed her to manually bring the interfaces back up.

They ended up walking her through the whole thing over the phone anyhow so what was the point? I guess having a script or even a text document with all the commands would make her actions indefensible if she got caught, but the whole learning to code in a day thing kinda flopped for me.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I know she didn't really learn to code in any meaningful way, but they set it up as such with Mobley saying exasperatedly "You can't learn to code in a day!"

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

:shrug:

Mr. Robot has always been incredibly grounded in reality. Obviously there isn't an entity named Evil Corp that owns 70% of the world's debt, but this is established in the pilot been consistent since and not introduced a season and a half in. The FBI solving the case because of a technology that is actually common in their world with no mention of this beforehand still strikes me as terrible writing, especially for something that can easily been explained without introducing those new elements. It's like if Gideon shows up next episode and he's like yeah, my husband just used the cloning machine on the moon base to bring back another copy of me, I mean, we never said there weren't cloning machines in this world, they've always been there, it just hasn't come up yet. That's a much more comically extreme example., but it's still bad for the same reason.

SA has always been mean, often meaner than I'd prefer, but thems the breaks. This thread doesn't strike me as being any worse than the rest, it's just with a story with twists like this, people feel the need to try to come up with the most outlandish thing possible. At least I didn't insult you personally, which is better than most threads.

I think criticizing the microstamp point is a bit nit-picky. We've established that microstamping is a real thing, even if not widely proliferated in real life. If that's such a big deal for being some kind of deus ex because it's common in the Mr. Robot world and not ours, then why is Darlene paying for the cremation facility in E-coin when she didn't have enough cash if that kind of technology is common in the Mr. Robot world and not ours? The show isn't about firearms so it makes no sense to make a big deal out of it up to this point. You're being a bit too rigid on the whole thing if uncommon tech needs to be name-dropped at some point to establish credibility.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

The Sean posted:

I know, merely suggesting a theory like Elliot = Darlene makes people lose all of their social niceties. loving hilarious.

Theorizing is fine and all, but after dealing with the whole Elliot is Tyrell theory (which honestly was way closer to having legs than Elliot is Darlene), it's not really surprising that other posters don't have the patience to entertain this sort of thing just because of the nature of Elliot's character. I try to be civil when posting, however I also completely understand why people were immediately attacking you over that theory.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I loved the negotiation between Price and Jung out in the rain. Really hits home how much Price is exactly where he belongs at the top of E Corp. I loved his monologue capped off with a burn about being out of time.

I'm still not convinced that Tyrell is dead. If Stage 2 is Mr. Robot's plan (not Elliot's, this is a key distinction) and Mr. Robot was in control when Tyrell was "killed" then Elliot is still in the dark. Of course Mr. Robot told Elliot that Tyrell was dead when the two came to terms in the basement of the jail, but that was only to get Elliot to lay off about it. Then there's the phone call in jail where Elliot snaps back at the very end to hear Tyrell's "Bonsoir, Elliot" after Mr. Robot hands him the phone. Tyrell is out doing something for Mr. Robot, but the question is what?

It makes me think that Elliot, Darlene, and Angela are all important to Whiterose for one reason or another when everything seems to come back to the Washington Township plant. I wonder how much Elliot knows about it and how it ties into his plan, because it must be in there somehow, either to raze E Corp to the ground or something worse.

And I like how if hacking were kung fu then Elliot is the master. Don't gently caress with him when it comes to computers, but also don't ask him to do literally anything else because hacking is all he's good at.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Social Animal posted:

Can someone explain to me what actually happened when Elliot received the call from Tyrell in prison?

Seriously Tyrell is my favorite character, I need a bonsoir Elliot before this season ends.

Since the main operation has been presumably all due to Mr. Robot (given that Elliot doesn't know what Phase 2 is), and how Elliot doesn't remember what happened to Tyrell, only that Mr. Robot says he killed him, the conclusion I'm drawing is that Tyrell is alive. The phone call was between Mr. Robot and Tyrell, perhaps as a status update, wherein Elliot comes back into control right at the end to hear Tyrell say "Bonsoir." I'm assuming Tyrell upheld his part of the plan and was telling Elliot 'good luck' in carrying out the rest.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Okay well here we go. Here's my "actual" theory because drat this show if it's going to turn into Syfy channel bullshit.

Stage 1 is make paper money useless so all currency must be electronic. (Think start of Season 2 when they had Scott burn the cash, the statement was made.)
Stage 2 is take control of the electronic counterpart. This requires the pre-emptive action of taking down Ray's marketplace (the Silk Road analogy) as it is the largest (monopolistic) market of its kind and doesn't use ECoin.
Stage 3 is to use that control to reach the end goal of ~whatever~ because we actually don't know the end goal yet. Whatever it is, it ruins large corporations and "changes the world."

Wellick is taking Elliot to the server farm that's going to duplicate (think Ocean's 11 safe room duplication) the server farm ECorp uses to hold ECoin information. Instead of completely crashing the economy by breaking ECoin and ECorp, they are instead going to use the server farm to manipulate the new economy similar to using "time travel" tactics, by having ECoin servers occasionally "brown out" and when they come back online, the numbers all seem to be going the right way, when actually Elliot and Wellick have made indistinguishable transfers through changing timestamps on transactions. No idea what kind of transactions would take place since that's Stage 3 stuff we don't know yet.

Nice and simple while being fatty enough to include more hacking scenes.

As for Angela, we just aren't seeing the truth through her anymore. Consider her another version of Elliot: Completely terribly unreliable narrator.
Edit: She also has a brain tumor.

'Stage 2' here is an interesting thought. At the end of Season 1, Price says that he knows who did the hack and he'll deal with him in due time. If he wants ECoin to be successful then Not Silk Road would have to be taken down. Since killing Ray wouldn't be enough to do it, they'd need someone to access the site itself and take it down like that. That leads me to believe that Elliot was set up to go into that prison and with all the pieces in place to get access to the Ray's computer. Of course with the Price-Zhang connection it fell upon the Dark Army to order Leon to watch Elliot's back. Otherwise, if Price knew Elliot did it and didn't have some use for him, why not just eliminate him immediately in case he doesn't something else catastrophic?

n.. posted:

No one is really mentioning what I thought was the single most important line in last episode, when White Rose tells Angela "that depends on your definition of 'real'", followed by her visit to lawyer lady acting all elated and robotic and the "glitch in the matrix" brownout/TV repeat. What did he show her??? It felt more matrixy than anything else, what else could he mean by that? I half expected him to say "if real is what you can see and touch, then reality is just electrical signals interpreted by your brain" after that.

I feel like the BTTF music is just Esmail loving with us after season 1.

What I thought was even more interesting was how Whiterose said that Elliot's father and Angela's mother "gave their lives to take humanity to the next level." That's a massive implication for what's going on at the Washington Township plant. I'd like to think that it's much bigger than virtual reality or a construct like the matrix. Something that affects humans on a direct, physical level. Whiterose implied that whatever happened at the plant to make their parents ill also set Angela and Elliot on the paths to become who the currently are. There's obviously something special about Elliot, but Angela's also got something going on that makes her almost untouchable. I suppose it's easy to jump to a time travel conclusion with the BTTF musical cues and the other vague references that were dropped throughout. I'm not 100% sold on the brownouts being something like time shifts, even though that news report repeated lines during the brownout at the lawyer's house. I should review the last few episodes for brownouts and see if there are any other clues there.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

I mean it's technically still going back to the Fight Club well if they're literally going to blow up a building that sets everyone back to zero.

Did we get a confirmation in that post-credit scene that Trenton's name is "Tanya"? Mobley called her that but it could easily be an alias since they're in hiding, but it was still a private conversation. I do like the little wrinkle that the FBI doesn't really know about her.

Pretty sure they were just fake names to help them lay low since they were afraid of the Dark Army following them. Mobley was going by 'Frederick' and even though they were having a "private" conversation they needed to be diligent with their fake names.

Speaking of the post-credits scene, I loved seeing them working at a Fry's Electronics. As soon as I saw the Aztec facade I knew Mobley finally made it to Arizona and had a good laugh about that. There are two Fry's Electronics stores in Phoenix, and I while I kind of wish they filmed that scene at the one closer to where I live, I totally understand them preferring the Aztec theme to a golf theme.

Interesting stuff that Trenton and Mobley were talking about. What did Trenton find? Was it the encryption key to reset the hack or was it discovering an actual way to directly manipulate time? Having Leon show up and ask them for the time was just the icing on the cake. Pretty sure he wasn't there to off them because it wouldn't have been as efficient to hail them first.

Sam Esmail is really good at littering real clues and misinformation everywhere. He's in tune with the theorists on the internet, like us, and drops stuff to actively gently caress with us. He planned all of the BttF musical references last episode, then there was the brownout triggering that tv broadcast to repeat, now Trenton mentions finding a way to directly reset things that happened in the past, and immediately after Leon shows up asking for the time. And the crazy thing is that I'm 50-50 on whether time travel will truly be a thing in Season 3. Say what you will about his framing, because everything else he's done with this season has been fantastic.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I'm pretty sure Angela and Tyrell have not met, except for that time at AllSafe. When Angela and Elliot split up on the subway, Angela was immediately kidnapped and Elliot was dragged into tracing Scott Knowles' phone. The next day is when Angela meets Whiterose and Elliot meets Tyrell. There just isn't enough time for that to happen. All I'm sure of is that Whiterose did something to drastically alter Angela's persona and gave her a phone telling her to expect a call from Tyrell. Far as I can tell there's no connection between the Wellick bodyguard/chauffeur and the Dark Army, even if they do drive similar black SUVs.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

Ah, I forgot about Angela being told to 'expect a call'. The thing is that Elliot was in the middle of the Knowles trace when Angela asked him to meet her on the subway. So that means that Elliot met Tyrell the same night as the diner shooting? I'll probably have to rewatch the last three episodes.

She wasn't explicitly told to expect a call, but when it cuts to her after Tyrell shot Elliot she knew it was Tyrell on the phone. Someone expected that to happen and wanted Angela to help.

I did get my events slightly mixed up though, you're right that Elliot finished the trace before meeting Angela. I still don't think she had contact with Tyrell in the meantime.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

uftheory posted:

Was there a time jump forward after Elliot was shot? On first viewing I assumed the scene with Angela was taking place after Phase 2 had already been completed. Elliot had been patched up and he was subsequently waking up (which somehow Angela was aware of) say maybe a few days later. It reminded me of how the skipped over phase 1 as well and seemed to maybe explain why the power situation escalated to a full outage as well.

There was a jump, but it's hard to say how far forward. Elliot was shot during daylight hours and Angela got the call at night. There's no telling how long it might take for Elliot to wake up, and with how emotional Tyrell sounded it was probably the same day. Maybe the bigger question is how long does it take to generate enough hydrogen for the UPS's to cause a big enough explosion to wipe out those records. It's possible that the blackout there was a result of the building finally going down.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

The problem I have with complaining about focusing on Elliot's time in jail so much is that if the show focused on things happening elsewhere we'd all be complaining about how we weren't seeing enough of Elliot. Him going to jail is part of the plot, even if it doesn't directly contribute to completing Phase Two. Him dealing with Mr. Robot is important to the plot because Elliot is the main character and his brain problems are therefore relevant. He was in prison for as long as he needed to be, especially considering that he was released shortly after Ray was arrested. I don't think that's a coincidence. And especially considering how Sam Esmail took over pretty much all creative control of Season 2 I think that everything we were shown was presented for a reason. I liked the "filler" and even though Season 2 was different to Season 1, I don't think it was inferior.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Not true! The episode where Elliot wasn't featured at all was actually pretty drat good! But I really like Mobley and Trenton so that's just me. ;)

That's a single episode and I also agree that it was good despite not having Elliot present at all. I'm talking more that if Elliot only had 5-10% screentime for half a season then there'd be a greater backlash.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

tminz posted:

Anyone else think the final scene gave legs to the time-travel theory?

Trenton mentions undoing everything and that she misses her family. Even if they had the encryption key and they restored E-corp files she wouldn't be off scott-free in sure the FBI would still investigate.

And then Leon showing up and asking 'do you have the time?' Seems so....significant.

Mix that with some of the references from Dark Army/BD Wong and I think it's plausible at this point

I'm torn between thinking it actually has legs and Sam Esmail knowing we'll read into it like that and actively trolling us. That conversation between NotWhiterose and Dom in China also lends credence to this with the mystery surrounding the Washington Township plant. Having to wait until next summer to continue this plot is going to drive me crazy. I almost wish I hadn't gotten into this series so I could catch it after it finishes and watch it at once.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

I find that I enjoy episodes spread apart more than I enjoy binge-watching because it facilitates discussion and ideas, but I do wish there was less time between the seasons themselves. I'd gladly be on board for a 5 season show that ends in 2 or 2.5 years.

I do agree with you that having a week between episodes is good for discussion. I wouldn't have picked up on a lot of different things without the discussions in this thread, so I'm grateful for that because it's made me appreciate this show more. I think that Season 2, namely the "finale," will be easier to stomach when you're not waiting a year to have a hundred questions answered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

That doesn't preclude the possibility of alternate dimensions as was pontificated by that scientist. Mr. Robot being a manifestation of another Elliott would be an interesting twist. I don't think those huge machines we saw at the beginning were implemented just to control social media. I think there's more afoot than that, however, I think time travel might be a step too far at this point.

• Locked thread