Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The tv ads had me intrigued and the topic always gets me intrigued, but I wasn't sure it would hold up. Rami Malek always seemed like a bit actor to me, so I wasn't expecting much.

I am 3 minutes into the pilot and I'm already beyond impressed. Rami's stilted, awkward speech and reserved manerisms absolutely sell the introverted vigilante hacker shtick they're going for. Also, I realized how retarded a character Aiden from Watch_Dogs is by comparison (he already seemed like a bad character before). And all that stuff about TOR's vulnerabilities? I just read about that last night. It was loving uncanny, hearing that.

e: I just stared at my screen with an open mouth for a minute after that ended, and it took some real physical effort to break me out of it to type this post. If this show can keep up that level of brilliance the whole way through, this will be the greatest loving thing in history. Period.

e2:

dangerdoom volvo posted:

i didnt like it. his life is too good. he has a close friend who always tries to help him, he has a steady job which he is good and appreciated at, and he has a sexy babe drug dealer who wants to give him free drugs to sleep with her. dude living the american dream

Most depressed people have a ton of good things in their lives that they're too blinded to notice. He's so obsessed with the wordless sense of sheer wrongness he feels in the world that none of that is important to him. It's why he's only capable of understanding people by hacking his way through their personal lives.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Spergatory posted:

All you people worrying about the Christian Slater Cancellation Curse can breathe easy for a moment: according to Rami Malek's Twitter, the show just got picked up for a second season already.

Hot drat, the first episode (technically) isn't even out yet! This gives me a bit more confidence that the rest of the season will be good.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If this show was meant to be a competitor to American Crime, I think it did its job.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

x66Shadow66x posted:

Wow I really enjoyed this. Anyone else get a rubicon vibe?

Also, I couldn’t help but notice there are 12 guys who run the world..

Oh man, I miss that show. Shame that got cut.

Spergatory posted:

You're using social media to tell people who use social media that people who use social media are idiots. You, a pillar of society owned by a massive corporation, are trying to push anti-society rhetoric and claiming down with big business. Do you not see a problem here?

Except it's not USA that's doing the writing? I get what you're saying, but I think it's as simple as them having the advertising right hand and the writing left hand do their own things. I like it that way.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Binary Logic posted:

/\ I don't know if it's coincidence or a deliberate choice by the show but every time I see the tilted E Corp logo I "replace" it in my mind with this other evil one:

Oh poo poo.

That's brilliant.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Elliot, Episode 1: I do no more than 30 mg of morphine per day, unlike some junkies. :smug:

Elliot, Episode 2: DO ALL THE MORPHINE. :okpos:

He's already lost his poo poo, as far as he can tell. Might as well snort the drugs to match reality.

Serious talk though, I get the feeling that Eliot is going to end up fighting both sides at once. He's never going to accept the binary utilitarianism of F Society or the irreverent puppeteering of Evil Corp. He sees both the tyranny of choices and the unfairness of the lack thereof as the central problems with the world, and eventually he's going to have to take the compromise.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 2, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Shoren posted:

It definitely was. The "rapper" trying to push his "new album" was really just trying to distribute a CD with malicious software on it, hence the boyfriend complaining that the CD didn't work and his laptop just kept spitting it out. Afterward the "rapper" was the one typing in Chinese "We're in" presumably to the Dark Army group. If they're tackling the Chinese side of things then they're likely a Chinese hacker group. What exactly they're targeting Angela for (connections to Evil Corp through Allsafe?) is another matter.

All I could think of about this whole side plot was "how the gently caress is this guy a cyber security engineer?" (Unless maybe he's not because we've not been told his actual position at Allsafe)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

Was that scene where that fake musician dude hacks into the PC / web camera of Angela's boyfriend, the first one that was not from Elliot's point of view?

And if so, isn't that an indication that at least a serious part of this is not entirely in Elliot's mind?

Elliot so far has had nothing to do with the CD hacker guy except vicariously through his friend and her lovely boyfriend. Unless, based on how Elliot phrased his initial greeting to us, this is all being recanted to us from an Elliot in the future, I think we can trust what's going on in this side plot. But if not... literally nothing can be trusted.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

pricklypie posted:

Love this show so far. Love, love, love it. But if it turns out to have like a Fight Club type of ending and Elliot turns out to actually be Mr Robot I swear I will forget about it faster than I forgot about True Detective.

I will be really surprised if Elliot wasn't Fight Clubbing at least a single character by the end.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

qbert posted:

You know how they're going to reveal it. Someone's going to be talking to Elliot and be like, "Hey, I found this old picture. It's your dad, right?"

Cut to a pic of Slater.

This is pretty plausible.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

The whole organization as depicted -- their methods, their goals, and their justifications -- are all incredibly annoying. They framed a guy and were about to bomb people and most members probably didn't even know it and probably still don't know what any other member is up to. They're like children playing at being badasses for a cause none of them actually understand, which is unsurprising since most of them are in fact actual children.

Of course this premise would change a bit if it turns out that Elliot really is the one who's been behind everything, but not a whole lot. At best it makes them a bit less unlikable at the expense of making Elliot a bit more unlikable. Either way I'd still be rooting for them to get caught and arrested.

That seems unfair. It's not as if they've had a chance to prove otherwise.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo, that episode. By far the best since the first.

I'm glad that the story is no longer just an ethereal porridge of plot threads, but I've got to agree with the sentiment that things had better start making sense. Even if it's just a little at a time, they need to start piecing things together. If they're relying on some 11th hour deus ex machina to explain everything to us it will be a total disaster.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

Since the audience is technically a character, is this still breaking the 4th wall?

You can't break the 4th wall on reality TV, that's not how it works.

:v:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

VDay posted:

Hmm yeah fair enough, I guess we don't know much about how his dad died apart from it being EvilCorp's fault so they have plenty of outs. Still, I think it'll be kind of weird if next episode starts with Robot and Elliot's conversation and he just straight up admits that he faked his death. Would be kind of a weirdly literal answer to the whole Mr. Robot mystery that the show's spent most of the season teasing/setting up. Granted, after that last episode I fully trust them to handle it well so either way I can't loving wait for next week.

We know he had some cancer or disease as a result of the toxic stuff, so it's not like he could have faked being healthy and probably would have died a long time ago.

I'm betting on Elliot's memory being hosed, since that seems to be the theme.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 14, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Now that I've had time to think about it calmly, I'm... confused.

From the beginning, Mr. Robot has been presenting himself as someone with no relation to Elliot, as far as we could see. Darlene, on the other hand, was the opposite, and acted very familiar with Elliot from the beginning, though her attitude changed over time. We see now that she expected Elliot to recognize her, which suggests Mr. Robot should also, but that contradicts his early actions. What would have made sense is that Mr. Robot and Darlene didn't recognize each other and had coincidentally been acting separately. But that doesn't work since it seems Darlene told Mr. Robot what happened between her and Elliot.

Idk, I really want the next episode to clear that mess up and start making sense of things..

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tailored Sauce posted:

Nice parallel (stole this off of Reddit):

What show/movie is that on the left?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Uh, what?

A kid in True Detective had some issues.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 24, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Shoren posted:

Any idea on the significance of the number 2 showing up frequently? Someone mentioned Elliot's phone is stuck at 22% and the second time he destroyed his rig he set the microwave to 2:22. Might not be anything major, but they seemingly did it on purpose.

Given the attention to detail in this show, I'd say it's significant somehow. I don't know how though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This show is going to survive on its Emmy takings at the very least.

On the topic of how the hell USA managed this, I'm pretty sure this was meant to be a direct answer to American Crime. I can't be certain about that though. Maybe it's purely coincidence, and the stars just happened to align for USA.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 25, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

Just heard they might be delaying the finale another week due to the continued shootings.

:911:

I feel like there have been a bunch more shootings in the last couple weeks than is normal. Hopefully people calm the gently caress down so we can get the finale by next week at the latest.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 2, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Stop talking about US gun crime you goons.

At this point it's pretty clear the show isn't gonna tie everything up so I'm hoping it gets cleared for a second series although personally I'm not a fan of it going for 5 seasons or whatever the creator said he had material for.

Season 2 has been greenlit since before the first episode aired.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

seaborgium posted:

Learn something new every day, I'd never heard of that. So it probably is hidden then.

If you're interested, staganography is a neat thing. The modern iteration of it is where you encode data into another kind of data that looks like a normal file, like a jpg or a docx or, in Eliot's case, an mp3.

I'm not sure why everyone hated the season finale for its non-ending because we all knew they had to set things up for season 2. But ignoring that, I though it was a solid enough ending, at least in terms of Eliot's character arc. Even though his mental environment has changed, he's returned to that self-assured state of mind that he started the show with, which is just another facade to hid his internal turmoil. I also like where Angela is headed, though she may feel like she's been trapped in a kind of hell.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 7, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Or Everdraed always hiding audio files in his animated GIFs.

Oh poo poo, I totally forgot about Everdraed after I jumped ship from GBS. Is he still doing that?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Jose posted:

i mean i'm not in the US but it seems like if the feds busted tons of paedophiles that it would have also made the news here and basically the only news about tor is the silkroad guy's court case

There's been a big commotion about tor being not quite as secure as it claims to be after a couple researches wrote a paper on it. And just yesterday I read some news about the people behind tor asking researchers and internet firms to provide ideas to help improve their security.

It's not getting much mainstream attention because the big news is the migrant crisis and ISIS among other things that have been coming and going.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

I thought the show started out great but then got ruined when it was revealed that Mr. Robot is Elliott. It was one of those things that I wish was not the case because it's so cliche. People in this very thread called it.

In fact it went progressively downhill over the last several episodes:

1. Mr. Robot is Elliott's father. (yawn)
2. Mr. Robot isn't real. (yawwwwn)
3. Mr. Robot is actually Elliott! Wow!!! (Zzzzz...)

I dunno, I felt that the writers had something great in their hands and somehow botched it. The finale kind of fell flat, and I probably won't bother watching the next season.

Um, cliche?

Please name more than 2 other pieces of media in which a schizophrenic was hallucinating other characters without the viewer (initially) knowing?

All I've got is Fight Club and A Beautiful Mind.

e: I suppose I should say mainstream media. It's not really a cliche if a couple random unknown arthouse or international flicks happened to do the same thing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

vseslav.botkin posted:

The Machinist and Identity.

EDIT: oh, and Shutter Island. And Secret Window.

I forgot Shutter Island. I don't remember Secret Window being centered on that conceit, although it's been quite a while since I saw it and I don't remember it well. Haven't heard of the other two though.

It doesn't feel like one to me. I don't think there's been enough similar instances of it to justify calling it a cliche, because each instance has been done really drat well in their own right. You could argue that Mr. Robot is too close to Fight Club to be considered a unique instance, I suppose.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

adrenaline_junket posted:

Definitely watch The Machinest. Its one of Christian Bale's best movies. Very similar to American Psycho in terms of his character intensity. Plus the transformation in his body between this movie and Batman Begins is insane. I thought it was CGI at first, but its all legit.

Oh was that the movie that Bale went anemic for? Sure, I'll take a look someday.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I don't trust fembot at all. I feel like she's using that guy somehow, but I can't tell what yet.

Also I'm really glad Elliot's got his poo poo (mostly) together now, so he can get back to hacking stuff. That said, seeing PuTTY felt weirdly innocuous, though I guess the average person has no reason to know what it is.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

uncertainty posted:

I read it exactly opposite, even though they claim they want the other gone, neither of them truly wants the other gone and both are (maybe unconsciously) trying to stalemate as soon as possible.

This.

Like Christa was saying too, Mr. Robot's a part of him, and excising him is probably a bad thing since he's killing a part of himself. Elliot wants to find a way to get back on the same page with Mr. Robot and start working towards his real goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

His fish was on the table to his right. Great little detail.

Idk what that's meant to signify, can you explain?

• Locked thread