Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

pahuyuth posted:

This. The soundtrack is also really really good. I'm not a big soundtrack person in that I rarely notice or pay attention to them, but with this show I do. Basically I'm enjoying the show a lot and I don't give a poo poo if it goes off the rails because I've sure as hell watched worse.

The soundtrack isn't original, though, is it? In the last episode at there end, the music played had to have been from an 80's movie. I think it was risky business or something else.

Yep, just confirmed it, from the risky business soundtrack

My awesome skills proven:
Tangerine dream - risky business soundtrack "love on a real train" (movie version)

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Well you did almost immediately see the body in the trunk when he looked at it, you could see her leg.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Selachian posted:

It airs at 10 pm here and has a TV-14 rating, so yeah, on you, parent of 11-year-old.

There are times I won't even have the evening news on in the background with our toddler around when I know there is going to be hosed up news.

For instance didn't watch it this whole week because of course they are going to show enough of the video of the cop head shotting someone from point blank, and the story about a cable guy finding a decomposed 5 month old inside some dudes apartment.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The guy had a few wipes or whatever on him and wiped her mouth and neck area.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

VDay posted:

Also keep in mind that his wife will 100% know that it was Tyrell that killed her when her body is found. Looking forward to that talk.

I think I know what you're saying but this is still funny.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The thing about Tyrell that's so loving weird is that we start off thinking he's this personally highly motivated Patrick Bateman, but at this point he might as well be just any other hacker dude except for the fact that he's being controlled by his wife.

Like, in the beginning of the series you think when they talk about a plan you think she's being the supportive wife reminding him he can do this and what his goals are.

Now? These are her goals for him.

And also Tyrell putting gloves on scared the poo poo out of me. Is that why Elliott was so eager to tell him mostly the truth?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Gordong Dongbay posted:

It's hilarious how bad of a rep USA has in terms of quality.

How dare you speak ill of the network that aired Silk Stalkings Fairly Legal La Femme Nikita Covert Affairs Night Flight Up All Night Necessary Roughness Psych and Burn Notice!

My wife would get mad if I didn't mention Monk (which was cute, I guess) and Royal Pains (which is TERRIBLE)

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 25, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ultramiraculous posted:

Uhh...so what if it's "Elliot Corp" :tinfoil:

This isn't Continuum.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It had the cadence and inflection of Tyrell

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Brock Samson posted:

Fembot creeps my poo poo out.

Yes, this is great. Especially when she decided to throw in a different language to gently caress with him even more.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ooh poo poo she's turning cold.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yep that's why evil corp was taken down

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I love how they make it subtly obvious slater is in front of a blue screen

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

This loving show.

Almost yelled "gently caress you" when the credits came up, but saw 5 minutes left.

Now I can't wait for next season.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

violetdragon posted:

You didn't watch after the credits, did you?

No I think he watched after the credits and is taking all of the powerful people chillin' out.

Edit: they're replaying the finale and its great how they focus on her shoes in the subway.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 3, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yes I can't see any way that Tyrell can be another personality of Elliot. Tyrell's former assistant would have recognized him.

I can't shake the feeling that Tyrell's wife knows about Elliot's condition, though.

Looking at it that way, it makes sense to me that she was asking the questions she did: which personality of Elliot is this?

Whatever the case, she seemed most 'distraught' by the fact that he didn't know what she was saying in another language.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Emetic Hustler posted:

That would indeed be a bad choice. I want to see the consequences of the hack, perhaps it ends up making the world even worse and Elliot struggles with that in the next season. But the mention of encryption and keys, makes me think it will turn up in the future.

I thought the dialogue specifically noted that even if they figure out the key, they'll just find that all of their data is gone.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

crowoutofcontext posted:

The Coney island Arcade

Can someone explain to me the Coney Island 'trope'?

It seems that in every TV show/movie, Coney Island is some abandoned and run down place. Yet, productions still seem to set things there. What's the deal? Is that place still active or what?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

I thought the show started out great but then got ruined when it was revealed that Mr. Robot is Elliott. It was one of those things that I wish was not the case because it's so cliche. People in this very thread called it.

In fact it went progressively downhill over the last several episodes:

1. Mr. Robot is Elliott's father. (yawn)
2. Mr. Robot isn't real. (yawwwwn)
3. Mr. Robot is actually Elliott! Wow!!! (Zzzzz...)

I dunno, I felt that the writers had something great in their hands and somehow botched it. The finale kind of fell flat, and I probably won't bother watching the next season.

Darth Vader being Luke's father (yawn)
Planet of the Apes is actually earth (yawwwwwwwn)
The secret to doing Borden's transported man trick in The Prestige is that he has a twin (zzzz...)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Good point, my examples are kind of off.

The fact is that the plot twist was clearly written for the viewer to pick up on which drives the tension: when and how will Elliot find out.

Did you yawn when it was revealed that Elliot didn't even know his own sister?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Edge & Christian posted:

Watched the whole show last week and enjoyed it quite a bit, but to go back to the Coney Island questions a couple of pages back:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this out. I always wondered about the disparity between how I thought it was portrayed in media vs. reality.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

Is it a fight club moment when he tells you from the get go that he's crazy?

The female character thing is more of a trip. The only real tell is that ballet scene (though some scenes make way more sense in retrospect).

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the narrator from the movie tell you that he's an insomniac and he knows it makes him do crazy poo poo but he's unaware of exactly what that crazy poo poo is?

edit: Just realized you said that to begin with. Not sure why I interpreted that differently.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 28, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

A lot of things seem to support the fact that he's institutionalized, but as far as I'm concerned: if that's the case, it absolutely must be self-imposed.

Darlene and Gideon have asked him to help. He can't do that if he's stuck there.

It does make sense that his exile would be self-imposed: the dude lost a few days, has no idea what happened. He's fought with Mr. Robot to find out.

I think this season has done well to show that some things are 'off' about his living arrangement. The dark rooms. The lack of sunlight. The house with sparse decoration.

It's easier to explain the house itself, but more difficult to explain the diner and the park. The diner isn't set like a hospital cafeteria, just a cheap diner.

Granted: Ray's office is very dimly lit. So are the support group meetings.

I don't know how this stuff works. Would a group home be an option for someone going through this? It would explain how he's able to get out.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Snak posted:

I'm not sure it would be self imposed. I am wondering if he actually shot himself in the head

Why would he shoot himself?

Why would people come to him asking for help if he's in a semi-vegitative state/needs breathing help/etc. ?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The first season was forever ago....why is it a secret that Darlene's ex knew Angela? Wasn't the malware that Angela installed because of Cisco's blackmail the entire basis for Elliot finding about F_Society?

It's a secret because Darlene just thinks that the dude has 'contacts' in the Dark Army, not that the dude is balls deep into running scams and poo poo for them. If she knew, she'd know that all of f_society's poo poo is potentially blown.

Elliot found out about F_Society because of the file that was on the E Corp servers that were crashing.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Wellick would have been a much more satisfying agent to punish those who have done harm to Eliot.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

HorseRenoir posted:

It's a testament to the show's ability to create tension that I didn't even realize that sequence was only 4 minutes long. It feels much longer than that.

OTOH the long pauses between statements between her and the FBI guy were really grating.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

His CD's are encrypted.

Also, depending on when he informed the authorities: the dog's microchip might not even had led anyone to Elliot's apartment.

edit: All that being said, based on his interactions with people visiting him, is it possible that he turned himself in on some minor charge? Elliot has been trying to convince us from the start that all of this is good for him. He may have done so to his visitors as well.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 18, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Well, the dog was the result of his hacking crime so drugs or something else, who knows. Hopefully we find out sooner than later.

edit: I mean at this point, personally, I'm more concerned with what else Elliot has been hiding from us than what he's hiding from himself (Wellick). Including how he got in jail.

edit 2: Dom is so close to figuring everything out on her own, I think it is going to take some incredibly impressive writing to justify everyone not being in jail by the end of the season.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 18, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

BrianWilly posted:

Someone will ask him something uncomfortable or say something critical that he needs to find the exact right response to, and the show will just pause on his bug-in-headlights face for ten or so seconds while the other character just waits patiently for him to reboot.

Angela and the FBI dude's breaks between speaking was out of loving control and killed the tension of the scene.

This really does happen too much.

It works with Elliot sometimes because the other person comments on it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I was not shocked or surprised in any way that Darlene killed that lady. And I think that's a credit to the writing/direction.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Since everyone else on this drat show is hosed up, I wonder what the deal is with Mobley and Trenton. Then again, I hope they're not really all that hosed up because it would be a breath of fresh air.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ApexAftermath posted:

Does anyone else feel like one of the major reveals is going to be the mother and whatever she is up to?

No.

Med School posted:

I can't believe they killed the black fsociety hacker first. Stay classy, writers...

Still love this show though.

He had to go back in time to the 70's so he could be the father of some of the members of a fantasy influential Hip-Hop group.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I deleted the episode without thinking, but wasn't there someone upstairs/coming down behind Cisco while his attention was on the couch?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm guessing ”Wellick's” phone is at the home of the guy who's wife he murdered.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I know it's fiction and all, but I could not even fathom a world where people are thinking "No big deal, just let China annex Congo"

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

She's too good at her job, I think.

Like it would take a major conceit to have her not succeed at busting all of fsociety.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea, I was 'happy' about the shooting because it was a great way to slow her down, and it gives Darlene enough of an out for being seen with Cisco for the time being.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Has anyone been watching the live Mr. Robot after show? It's not incredible but, when allowed, the host has some really quick wit and it's fun to see the cast joke around a bit.

Last night they had a Nora Ephron-like clips of Cisco and Darlene's relationship that was silly.

Carly also got a good dig in that went something like:

Host: Darlene really shocked everyone when she kind of took over fsociety.
Carly: She also shocked the lady from E-Corp

Edit:
Can't find youtube links but here's the whole Hacking Robot 102 episode:
http://www.usanetwork.com/mrrobot/videos/hacking-robot-102

Clip of relationship thing is @ 9:39

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I was shocked until the dude intimated how much he hates the Wellicks.

Plus the dude is flat out amazed at what Elliot can do.

• Locked thread