Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I love that the show not only seems to anticipate that the viewer's reaction will be "Oh, he's going Tyler Durden," but pretty much responds by saying "Yeah, what if he is?"

They're not trying to snow you in some effort to build to a "shocking" "reveal". It's got enough swagger to let you make up your own mind, and enough confidence to think you'll be invested either way. And it earns every last ounce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Y-Hat posted:

I'm glad that this sounds pretty good, because holy hell do I hate the ads for it. It seems like subway stop here has a bunch of them, so I'm usually seeing the main character's stern, disapproving expression with phrases like "OUR DEMOCRACY HAS BEEN HACKED," "BANKS CONTROL YOUR MONEY," "SOCIAL MEDIA OWNS YOUR RELATIONSHIPS," and other things that Holden Caulfield might say if he binge-listened Bill Hicks standup.

That's because that's exactly who the main character is. What the ads don't get across is how the show is smart enough to know that a Holden Caulfield-type is supposed to be kind of a dipshit who isn't as smart as he thinks he is, and plots itself accordingly. You're not supposed to hate him like you hate Holden, but the show is, at best, cautiously on his side.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
So is it just me, or was that F Society video REALLY well done?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Well, poo poo.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

adrenaline_junket posted:

Well they could have left the rape part for another episode in the future. Perhaps just had her touched up for money or something. Just seemed like they closed a good opportunity for character interaction off too quickly.

He's in prison, not dead.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I gotta admit, this was a really good episode. But unless this show can prove by next week that Sam Esmail has a truly satisfying ending in mind and it'll never spin its wheels on the way to that ending then I'm gonna have to drop it

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wax Lion posted:

I know everyone is saying the show intends to play with the idea that Mr. Robot isn't real but what if it doesn't? That's my big worry. Like what if the creator thinks he's got this twist locked and loaded and he thinks he's going to blow our minds?

Because the show calls out, right from the beginning, the possibility that Mr. Robot isn't real. Elliot says it, out loud, episode 1: "Wait, I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. What if he's a delusion?" The fact that his concern ultimately falls to the wayside doesn't matter: he put it out there for the audience to remember.

Here's the thing about "Twists," and I'm speaking as a writer who is working on a story with a Twist: If you're looking to shock your audience, you're not going to put The Twist out in the open for everyone to see. This is especially true if you're looking to be perceived as the cleverest motherfucker in all the land, because the joy of The Twist for a writer is catching everyone off guard and forcing them to go back and reexamine everything that may have hinted at The Twist. "I saw that coming" is the last thing a Twist writer wants to hear.

That's why no story that emphasizes The Twist tells you The Twist in its first two acts. (Especially in the post Fight Club / Sixth Sense / Beautiful Mind era, where audiences started actively trying to stay one step ahead of their storytellers.) Once the possibility enters your mind, there's no getting it out, and you lose the element of surprise.

Sam Esmail dispensed with that element the moment Mr. Robot entered the picture. He acknowledges, through Elliot (in a way that makes perfect sense for his character), the elephant in the room, and goes forward in the story, business as usual. He drops obvious hints about Mr. Robot's Durden-esque nature in the first few episodes. But then he doubles back and offers clues that suggest he's NOT necessarily a figment of Elliot's imagination in the latest episode, almost as if he knew you'd be looking for those initial clues.

This is all a part of making the question of Mr. Robot's existence an unspoken part of the series (for now at least), as opposed to a boring old Twist that everyone knows is coming: if this was just about shock, I promise, absolutely none of this poo poo would be in play.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Sophia posted:

This is a really great show, and I can't believe that some people are spending so much energy worrying about if they're going to stick the landing when watching them fly through the air is so drat gorgeous.

Wait a minute, what am I saying. Of course I can believe it.

My biggest hope is that Ollie comes back in some way because he is the exact right "guy who is a jerk through being nice" person that is almost never on TV but is always lurking in the shadows of everyone's life. Mr. Robot might not be real, but Ollie sure is!

I love a lot of things about this show, but I can't lie, I love that it brought you out of your highly reasonable self-imposed exile, if only for a moment. :)

God drat that was intense.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Nice "Hack the Gibson" reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Round of applause for Michael Cristofer being Michael Cristofer, and for Craig Robinson playing one of the most interesting characters on TV right now.

• Locked thread