Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

VIZ posted:

In the city of Ergastulum, a shady ville filled with made men and petty thieves, whores on the make and cops on the take, there are some deeds too dirty for even its jaded inhabitants to touch. Enter the “Handymen,” Nic and Worick, who take care of the jobs no one else will handle. Until the day when a cop they know on the force requests their help in taking down a new gang muscling in on the territory of a top Mafia family. It seems like business (and mayhem) as usual, but the Handymen are about to find that this job is a lot more than they bargained for.
PV 01
PV 1.5
PV 02

Opening Theme:
"Renegade" by STEREO DIVE FOUNDATION
Ending Theme:
"Yoru no Kuni" (夜の国; Country of the Night) by Annabel

ANN posted:

Shukou Murase (Dante's Inferno: An Animated Epic, Genocidal Organ) will direct the anime with series composition by Shinichi Inotsume (Hayate the Combat Butler, The Pilot's Love Song), and Koichi Hatsumi (Berserk: The Golden Age Arc I - The Egg of the King, Deadman Wonderland) is credited as series director. Yōichi Ueda will design the characters for the anime, and Tsutchie (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo) will compose the music for the soundtrack. Manglobe (The Unlimited - Hyōbu Kyōsuke, Hayate the Combat Butler! Cuties) is producing the animation.

Official website:
GANGSTA.(ギャングスタ)公式 @ Twitter
TVアニメ『GANGSTA.』公式サイト

Premieres July 1 and will air on Asahi Broadcasting, Tokyo MX TV, TV Aichi, BS 11, and will stream on the Bandai Channel and niconico. Funimation will be streaming the show in North America on Sundays at 10:30 am Eastern who the gently caress knows. AnimeLab is streaming the show in Australia and New Zealand. Crunchyroll is streaming it in France and French speaking territories.

CHARACTERS.

Affiliation: Benriya

Worick Arcangelo (Junichi Suwabe)
Nicolas Brown(Kenjiro Tsuda)
Alex Benedetto(Mamiko Noto)

Affiliation: Ergastulum Police Department

Chad Adkins(Tetsuo Kaneo)
Cody Balfour(Kaito Ishikawa)

Affiliation: Theo's Clinic

Dr. Theo(Satoshi Mikami)
Nina(Aoi Yūki)

Affiliation: Monroe Family

Daniel Monroe(Katsuhisa Houki)
Yang(Tomoaki Maeno)
Ivan Grazef(Takuya Kirimoto)
Delico(Tomohisa Hashizume)
Miles Meyer(Tsuyoshi Koyama)

Affiliation: Paulklee Guild

Gina Paulklee(Yoshiko Sakakibara)
Ginger(Mikako Komatsu)
Doug(Hiroyuki Yoshino)

Affiliation: Cristiano Family

Loretta Cristiano Amodio(Kana Ueda)
Marco Adriano(Takahiro Sakurai)
Galahad Woeho(Tetsu Inada)

Affiliation: Corsica Family

Uranos Corsica(Hideyuki Umezu)

Affiliation: Hunter

Striker(Tomokazu Seki)
Beretta(Sayaka Ohara)
Colt(Yuuta Kasuya)
Sig(Shiori Izawa)
Erica(Yu Shimamura)
Mikhail(Atsumi Tanezaki)

Affiliation: Constance Gun Shop

Constance Raveau(Ami Koshimizu)

MANGA.

Volumes 1-6 have been released by VIZ

There's also a spinoff, Gangsta.:Cursed. - EP_Marco Adriano which remains unlicensed and untranslated at this time.

KOHSKE.

VIZ posted:

Kohske made her manga debut in 2009 with the short story "Postman" in Shonen GanGan magazine. Her first series, Gangsta., began running in Monthly Comic Bunch in 2011 and became an instant hit.

MyAnimeList posted:

Freelance illustrator and author of two published short manga stories. Her first ongoing serial, GANGSTA., began in 2010. She currently resides in Hokkaido and owns a pet bird named Fumi.

http://gokohske.o-oi.net/ - Kohske's website
http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=332799 - Kohske's pixiv
https://twitter.com/go_kohske - Kohske on Twitter

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Some of the characters listed above have a notation after their names. This indicates their rank as a Twilight. (removed)

What's a Twilight?
Twilight is the title given to the children and descendants of those who used the Celebrer drug. From birth, they are registered and controlled using tags embedded with chips that monitor their vital signs. Thus, they are also known as "Tagged". These tags also have their rank - speculated to be a measure of the Twilight's strength - with D/5 (the default) being the lowest and S/0 the highest.

Twilights are required to follow three main principles:
Article One: Twilights must not intentionally hurt humans. Destroying the overall balance by disregarding this rule is forbidden.
Article Two: Twilights must obey orders directed to them by humans. However, orders that conflict with article one are exceptions.
Article Three: If the situation does not conflict with articles one and two, a Twilight must defend oneself.

Those who don't follow the principles are severely punished.

All Twilights possess enhanced abilities due to their predecessors' use of Celebre. They are noted for being incredibly violent and destructive; Twilight mercenaries are often hired due to their effectiveness in battle and one of the four big houses, the Paulklee Guild, offers its Twilight members as hired guns. However, Twilights are riddled with sometimes multiple mental and physical disorders, known as "compensation", which is hereditary. Along with these deficiencies, the lifespan of a Twilight is drastically shortened, usually ending in their early thirties.
Source: http://gangstamanga.wikia.com/

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 10, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So the psychics in this have to follow Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Everything Burrito posted:

All Twilights possess enhanced abilities due to their predecessors' use of Celebre. They are noted for being incredibly violent and destructive; Twilight mercenaries are often hired due to their effectiveness in battle and one of the four big houses, the Paulklee Guild, offers its Twilight members as hired guns. However, Twilights are riddled with sometimes multiple mental and physical disorders, known as "compensation", which is hereditary. Along with these deficiencies, the lifespan of a Twilight is drastically shortened, usually ending in their early thirties.

i'm like 100% sure i've seen this before.

man why the gangsters gotta be magical, why can't there just be an anime about ordinary mobsters fighting

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

man why the gangsters gotta be magical, why can't there just be an anime about ordinary mobsters fighting

Just try not to think about it too hard and enjoy the abs (or baps, if you prefer). :shrug:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Davincie posted:

does black lagoon count?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

darealkooky posted:

does black lagoon count?

Totally.

Everything Burrito posted:

Some of the characters listed above have a notation after their names. This indicates their rank as a Twilight.

What's a Twilight?
Twilight is the title given to the children and descendants of those who used the Celebrer drug. From birth, they are registered and controlled using tags embedded with chips that monitor their vital signs. Thus, they are also known as "Tagged". These tags also have their rank - speculated to be a measure of the Twilight's strength - with D/5 (the default) being the lowest and S/0 the highest.

Twilights are required to follow three main principles:
Article One: Twilights must not intentionally hurt humans. Destroying the overall balance by disregarding this rule is forbidden.
Article Two: Twilights must obey orders directed to them by humans. However, orders that conflict with article one are exceptions.
Article Three: If the situation does not conflict with articles one and two, a Twilight must defend oneself.

Those who don't follow the principles are severely punished.

So they're Bean from Ender's Game but super buff instead of super smart but science magic lets people control them like robots.

That's somewhat disappointing. I was hoping for a down-to-earth mobster brawl.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Davincie posted:

Darker than Black, for one.

And yeah before that post I thought it was just regular criminals going at it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I debated about whether or not to go into that at all, but decided to err on the side of more disclosure so people didn't complain about some bait and switch after an episode or two of the anime. It's kinda central to everything so might as well get it out there to start with IMO.

I'm re-reading the manga now and forgot there's kind of a reveal about ranks in the 3rd chapter so I might should have spoilered those, whoops. I guess I'll just take that part out for now so everyone purge that from your memory.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 10, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
What, no Fool?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Davincie posted:

Yeah, this is disappointing. The PV I saw made it look pretty rad, but I am less enthused now. 3ET it is.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

BlitzBlast posted:

What, no Fool?

It didn't fit my character organization, but I did mean to post it at the end or something and forgot:

Here's some characters with no VA cast so I dunno if they'll be in the anime:

Just to note:
The cards were a promotional thing that came out with the magazine the manga was published in, all illustrated by Kohske. Beyond that there's no tarot theme to the series it was just a thing they put out.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 10, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I would say give the story a shot regardless of powered up peoples. The mobster-ing is still pretty fun in this series and brutal as hell.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 10, 2015

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Will probably be like the Gungrave anime, mob parts good, magic parts poo poo.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I see zero anime people sporting grills and/or holding their guns sideways, most definitely un-gangsta, anime disappoints.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Still gonna give it a shot but boy does that Twilight stuff sound stupid. That works in Baccano because Baccano isn't nearly so self-serious, whereas this seems to be shooting for Black Lagoon.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
From what little I read, the Twilight stuff is more about roiding up after popping some pills than actual superpowers though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's kinda both, since they're affected from birth due to their parent(s) roiding it up on drugs and have to take a daily drug regimen just to survive, but the same drugs also can boost their abilities or be used to shut them down depending on dosage and in what combination. It's like if crack babies had super strength, but only when they're really high.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I like the look of this and there seems to be a massive cast of characters which hopefully means alot of them will be killed off throughout it

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I like gangster poo poo a lot so I hope this isn't terrible.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

gangsters are cool

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think what you meant to post was

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
New ad featuring the opening theme: https://youtu.be/AD3daeo96II

and a promo doodle from Kohske from some sort of call-in event :3:

(twitter)

Here's the CR news post that I stole all that from, which I'm linking because it also has the art from an upcoming set of postcards coming out with some magazine if you scroll to the bottom:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/06/19-1/video-ad-offers-latest-look-at-gangsta-anime

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 21, 2015

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Gangsta is cool and good, and alex has some great titties and a big ol rear end

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Updated the OP with what will be the eventual link to Funimation's streaming page for the show; it doesn't work yet so don't bother clicking it.

I'm assuming they're handling streaming for both US and Canada? I couldn't find anything specific for the show when I looked, just their general service area.

edit: Added info for AnimeLab streaming, I'll put a link straight to the page for it when they list it.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 30, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think Canada is just hosed when a show is picked up by Funimation and no one else. Hopefully it'll show up on Cunchyroll anyway, that happens sometimes.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
That really sucks. I'm trying to keep an eye out for all streaming announcements related to the show so I'll add updates the OP as more pop up. Hopefully it'll be available in some form.

It's not as bad as getting screwed by regional exclusivity but I really hope Funi doesn't dick around about putting the show on Hulu or end up delaying it. I'll be really bummed if I end up behind everyone else and not even able to read my own thread.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It'll definitely be going up on Hulu a week late, that's how they always do it. If you want it on time you gotta :10bux: or :filez:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
BBB has been showing up on time, at least with Hulu Plus which might make a difference. I'm still behind on it so it didn't really matter either way but I just checked the latest episode air date and it wasn't delayed. I'm actually not sure you can even watch that one on Hulu without paying the :10bux: though. Noragami was the last show I remember being delayed a full week the whole season but they have farted around about putting the first episode up on some shows (maybe Death Parade? I can't remember).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
OK that was awesome. I couldn't wait and just watched the raw; it was easy enough to follow from reading the manga and now I can watch it again when some subs are out.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

So show's good?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Normie Slayer posted:

So show's good?

I think so but I also have a strong bias so you might wait for more opinions. And subs.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Nicolas is giving me some strong Guts vibes.

I suppose that makes Worick his Griffith... he does have the fabulous hair for it. And Alex=Caska... post-Femto of course, both just as useless.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I enjoyed it overall. The music really stood out in a good way for me during the ep, though the ending theme was a bit too soft for the mood of the show.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Woah, dat op.

First episode was really neat. Not quite what I was expecting, especially with the pacing, but it all fits together. My only real gripe is the music. The tracks themselves aren't bad, but they tend to be used as badly as the Parasyte music. This could be a good show, but I'm not totally convinced yet.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Davincie posted:

Even The Wire had this problem

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

Even The Wire had this problem
Was the evil organization secretly magical girls or something?

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

saw the first episode, pretty trashy show with low budget but i'm a sucker for pulpy crime dramas and it has magic drugs so i'll probably keep watching it until it inevitably reaches critical rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

There Bias Two posted:

I enjoyed it overall. The music really stood out in a good way for me during the ep, though the ending theme was a bit too soft for the mood of the show.

It's a love song for girls who swoon over the deaf psychopath, complete with cheesy emotive signing. I loving love it.

• Locked thread