Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's a love song for girls who swoon over the deaf psychopath, complete with cheesy emotive signing. I loving love it.

Wait, what? He's meant to be swoon-able? He's a complete monster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

He's the rough-hewn, katana-wielding army veteran with the dark, tragic past, a cute quirk (the sign language), and a soft spot for a pretty lady in trouble (most of the kindnesses the handymen did for Alex this episode were at his volition, remember?).

Yeah, he's fangirl-bait.

One neat thing about the other shows of this ilk (Jormungand and Black Lagoon) was that the women were just as dangerous, powerful, and batshit as the men, if not more so. We haven't seen that from Gangsta's first ep, where the only female characters were a perpetually abused prostitute and a couple of bit-part shopkeepers), so it'd be nice if that shows up later on.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah the demographic might be seinen but most of the fans for this property that I've seen online have been women (hi that also includes me). Nic is totally moe.

As far as shows/manga of this ilk, Dogs: Bullets & Carnage is probably closer kin than Black Lagoon, especially since the author has supposedly stated that she was inspired by Dogs when writing Gangsta.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 3, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Everything Burrito posted:

Yeah the demographic might be seinen but most of the fans for this property that I've seen online have been women (hi that also includes me). Nic is totally moe.

As far as shows/manga of this ilk, Dogs: Bullets & Carnage is probably closer kin than Black Lagoon, especially since the author has supposedly stated that she was inspired by Dogs when writing Gangsta.

It shows. The author's miles above the characterization department unlike Dogs though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hello

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

There Bias Two posted:

Goons don't understand women being attracted to guys with a darker personality than this:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Black Lagoon this is not, for sure. It's totally opposite in tone and pacing so far. I'm curious to see how far they'll take that. I'll be impressed if they manage to carry it the whole way through and tell a good story.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The setting makes me think of a brighter, cheerier, sexier version of Texhnolyze.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

The setting makes me think of a brighter, cheerier, sexier version of Texhnolyze.

So, um, not much like Texhnolyze?

Pacing and setting aside, I don't see much similarity between them.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
Based on the first episode, I thought it was fine, if not anything groundbreaking. The magic drugs thing doesn't fill me with confidence, but I don't automatically hate it, so I'll stick around for a while at least.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
It feels alot like Black Lagoon to me which is a good thing.

I really liked the two main characters and felt a bit sorry for the female who I imagine will become a main character.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Loved the first episode, It is basically GTA the anime.

love it

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Funimation finally has the first episode up in case anyone hasn't already seen it via :filez:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Deaf Revy is loving bad rear end, I'm in.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

HARD MEN DO HARD THINGS IN A HARD CITY gag me with a spoon. Right away I am so unimpressed with this I am ready to dump it in the garbage with the other failed BL imitators like Dogs and Jormungand, and the magic drug poo poo looming in the future doesn't help with that. I'll give it another episode or two to see if the action at least stops being terrible but I have no real hopes.

That Death Parade fanart the artist did is still dope though

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodyle posted:

HARD MEN DO HARD THINGS IN A HARD CITY

:lol: that is a fantastic and accurate description

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
BL??... Oh you mean Black Lagoon.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Ooooooooh... That explains things.

Rodyle posted:

BL imitators

So I guess I'm the only one to whom this show is not like Black Lagoon?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

I'm sure the fanart is happy to offer an alternative.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

ViggyNash posted:

So I guess I'm the only one to whom this show is not like Black Lagoon?

I don't know why but so far this show reminds me most of Samurai Champloo, staring Mugen and deaf Mugen.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hagop posted:

I don't know why but so far this show reminds me most of Samurai Champloo, staring Mugen and deaf Mugen.

Nah, I get that. Similar-ish protagonist dynamic.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
FINALLY. It's up on Hulu Plus.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
This is pretty sick so far and I'm hype for episode 2, it's cool to see a current anime actually about adults. Also Worick is totally anime'd up Geralt.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not just adults, these guys are super old for anime (mid-30s).

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
jesus these fuckin geriatrics better watch their hips

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Watch the first episode, it was great.

I'm getting that feeling I got when watching Bebop, which is great and also scary. I must press on and keep watching, and not let my fears of Bebop endings consume me.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

I have an issue with the first episode and everyone needs to hear it! IMO the set looked completely dead and lifeless, I don't think there was a single extra or anything filling in the streets they were just empty alleyways between houses that all looked the same. Normally in a setting like this you would expect to see street vendors selling their wares, people walking around, stray dogs and housewives leaning out of windows hanging clothes on wires that run between buildings but in Gangsta they had nothing filling in the set and it made so bland and uninteresting. I never realised until now how just a few extras walking around in the background can make a scene look much more interesting. Or not even that, maybe just a pot plant here and there or something other than just bare empty walls.

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008
I also noticed that feeling, but thought it was kind of deliberate. Like the area actually is lifeless. People don't set up hot dog carts, and housewives don't hang out windows, cause it isn't safe. The neighborhood is all ganstas doin gangsta poo poo, and non-gangstas don't want any part of it...

But that's just the impression I got. It is Manglobe after all, I'm totally open to the possibility that that feeling is an unintended side effect of not having enough budget to animate anything but the main characters.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I can see how that might be a gripe, but I've actually been to towns like that during my trips to mainland Europe - it's not about public safety, it's just the residents liking to keep themselves to themselves.

Brouage is loving creepy.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's kind of a reason for that and when they show other areas of the city I expect there will be more activity. Wouldn't surprise me if there were budget considerations too, but there being no passers-by is pretty accurate to that part of the manga as well.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 8, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
We saw some passers-by when we were shown the exterior of... the police station? Whatever building that was that the Important People had a bribery meeting in. I think our protagonists just hang out in a dangerous area of town where folks generally keep to themselves.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I didn't realize this show was streaming on Funi's website. I'll have to check it out.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

krampster2 posted:

I have an issue with the first episode and everyone needs to hear it! IMO the set looked completely dead and lifeless, I don't think there was a single extra or anything filling in the streets they were just empty alleyways between houses that all looked the same. Normally in a setting like this you would expect to see street vendors selling their wares, people walking around, stray dogs and housewives leaning out of windows hanging clothes on wires that run between buildings but in Gangsta they had nothing filling in the set and it made so bland and uninteresting. I never realised until now how just a few extras walking around in the background can make a scene look much more interesting. Or not even that, maybe just a pot plant here and there or something other than just bare empty walls.

That's certainly valid, but I'd rather hold out to see exactly what they're going for. Perhaps we'll see more of the world as time goes on.

e: Yep, episode 2's got plenty of world-building for you.

That was a really good episode. I think this is a keeper. I wonder what's up with the paper the doc gave her though...

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 9, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
"I didn't hear anything" :haw:

My perusal of tumblr today indicates that it is wall to wall Nico booty and not nearly enough appreciation of Worick from this episode.

vvv yep! I added the schedule info to the OP as well, since that reminded me.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 9, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Wait, funi is seriously running a full two-and-a-half days behind on this "simulcast?" That's pretty bad, even for them.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Episode 2 is already up on Funimation and Hulu so uh...maybe somebody rethought that schedule. :confused:

edit: oh hey BD/DVD box art http://gangsta-project.com/goods_dvd.php

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 10, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

"I didn't hear anything" :haw:

Yeah, that was good. I'm still liking this. It's trying really, really hard to be gritty, and it's succeeding at least a bit. Hard men doing hard things in a hard town indeed.

I hope they figure out and are consistent with a reasonable release schedule.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Huh, apparently Crunchy picked up Gangsta. No episodes up yet, but the page exists at least.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Gangsta will be airing Sundays at 8:30am Pacific Time! It will be available to French Language users in the following territories: France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Monaco, Andorra, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Quebec & New Caledonia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

so rude

• Locked thread