Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

darealkooky posted:

does black lagoon count?

Totally.

Everything Burrito posted:

Some of the characters listed above have a notation after their names. This indicates their rank as a Twilight.

What's a Twilight?
Twilight is the title given to the children and descendants of those who used the Celebrer drug. From birth, they are registered and controlled using tags embedded with chips that monitor their vital signs. Thus, they are also known as "Tagged". These tags also have their rank - speculated to be a measure of the Twilight's strength - with D/5 (the default) being the lowest and S/0 the highest.

Twilights are required to follow three main principles:
Article One: Twilights must not intentionally hurt humans. Destroying the overall balance by disregarding this rule is forbidden.
Article Two: Twilights must obey orders directed to them by humans. However, orders that conflict with article one are exceptions.
Article Three: If the situation does not conflict with articles one and two, a Twilight must defend oneself.

Those who don't follow the principles are severely punished.

All Twilights possess enhanced abilities due to their predecessors' use of Celebre. They are noted for being incredibly violent and destructive; Twilight mercenaries are often hired due to their effectiveness in battle and one of the four big houses, the Paulklee Guild, offers its Twilight members as hired guns. However, Twilights are riddled with sometimes multiple mental and physical disorders, known as "compensation", which is hereditary. Along with these deficiencies, the lifespan of a Twilight is drastically shortened, usually ending in their early thirties.
Source: http://gangstamanga.wikia.com/

So they're Bean from Ender's Game but super buff instead of super smart but science magic lets people control them like robots.

That's somewhat disappointing. I was hoping for a down-to-earth mobster brawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Woah, dat op.

First episode was really neat. Not quite what I was expecting, especially with the pacing, but it all fits together. My only real gripe is the music. The tracks themselves aren't bad, but they tend to be used as badly as the Parasyte music. This could be a good show, but I'm not totally convinced yet.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

Yeah the demographic might be seinen but most of the fans for this property that I've seen online have been women (hi that also includes me). Nic is totally moe.

As far as shows/manga of this ilk, Dogs: Bullets & Carnage is probably closer kin than Black Lagoon, especially since the author has supposedly stated that she was inspired by Dogs when writing Gangsta.

Black Lagoon this is not, for sure. It's totally opposite in tone and pacing so far. I'm curious to see how far they'll take that. I'll be impressed if they manage to carry it the whole way through and tell a good story.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

The setting makes me think of a brighter, cheerier, sexier version of Texhnolyze.

So, um, not much like Texhnolyze?

Pacing and setting aside, I don't see much similarity between them.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

BL??... Oh you mean Black Lagoon.

Ooooooooh... That explains things.

Rodyle posted:

BL imitators

So I guess I'm the only one to whom this show is not like Black Lagoon?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

krampster2 posted:

I have an issue with the first episode and everyone needs to hear it! IMO the set looked completely dead and lifeless, I don't think there was a single extra or anything filling in the streets they were just empty alleyways between houses that all looked the same. Normally in a setting like this you would expect to see street vendors selling their wares, people walking around, stray dogs and housewives leaning out of windows hanging clothes on wires that run between buildings but in Gangsta they had nothing filling in the set and it made so bland and uninteresting. I never realised until now how just a few extras walking around in the background can make a scene look much more interesting. Or not even that, maybe just a pot plant here and there or something other than just bare empty walls.

That's certainly valid, but I'd rather hold out to see exactly what they're going for. Perhaps we'll see more of the world as time goes on.

e: Yep, episode 2's got plenty of world-building for you.

That was a really good episode. I think this is a keeper. I wonder what's up with the paper the doc gave her though...

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 9, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Huh, apparently Crunchy picked up Gangsta. No episodes up yet, but the page exists at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I honestly don't know what to day. I guess that makes sense in a way but... wow.

• Locked thread